When are slow times for Chinese tourists

islandguy

I'd say with the recent crash in the Yuan, there might be a few less shortly.

2% devaluation ?

yeah sure, this will interrupt the Tsunami of mainland Chinese, starting tomorrow ;-)

Good thing though, the BAHT stumbles now too and that will help me during my next appointment with an ATM

China has one week new year vacation in February and the first week in October is also a long vacation. These are the 2 weeks when most people make short trips or visit family

The schools close over the summer much like the rest of the world and this is the time whole families travel abroad. outside these periods the numbers of Chinese tourists are low.

2% devaluation ?

yeah sure, this will interrupt the Tsunami of mainland Chinese, starting tomorrow ;-)

Good thing though, the BAHT stumbles now too and that will help me during my next appointment with an ATM

That was just for one day. Today more and forecasts of more to come. Could be interesting.

China has one week new year vacation in February and the first week in October is also a long vacation. These are the 2 weeks when most people make short trips or visit family

The schools close over the summer much like the rest of the world and this is the time whole families travel abroad. outside these periods the numbers of Chinese tourists are low.

Don't forget Chinese New Year! It's a zoo here with all the Chinese tourists. I made the mistake of taking a trip here during this time. Never again.

2% devaluation ?

That was just for one day. Today more and forecasts of more to come. Could be interesting.

The devaluations cetainly could continue (no one really has clue what the Chinese will do, but they will certainly do what suits them), but if they do then I would expect the THB to follow suit. Unlike what happened when the RUB crashed by 50% last year (and that was a real crash).

Don't forget Chinese New Year! It's a zoo here with all the Chinese tourists. I made the mistake of taking a trip here during this time. Never again.

The one in February is Chinese New Year, per WilliamSmits' post. Of course, it alternates between mid-to-late Jan and Feb, depending on the lunar calendar.

In Chiang Mai there seems to be no slow season for Chinese tourists at this point. As a daily motorcycle rider they are one of my daily safety concerns. They are scouring the area and the surrounding mountains for land at a very steady pace as well. I imagine they are going to be a fairly dominating feature of life here going forward. NEEEE HOW biggrin.png

The one in February is Chinese New Year, per WilliamSmits' post. Of course, it alternates between mid-to-late Jan and Feb, depending on the lunar calendar.

I thought there was one in April also? Golden week???

Edit: Golden week is the one he mentioned in October. Yes, a very busy week.

2% devaluation ?

The devaluations cetainly could continue (no one really has clue what the Chinese will do, but they will certainly do what suits them), but if they do then I would expect the THB to follow suit. Unlike what happened when the RUB crashed by 50% last year (and that was a real crash).

Devalue of Yuan will only help increase the their business. Make em richer. Russia hasnt really a manufacturing business compared to china. Take out oil and pretty girls whats left.. ice

You will know exactly when, when all the tourist buses disappear from the roads, and from blocking one lane while being parked awaiting further arrivals. I remember slow season just last year. It was like a switch. One day traffic backed up by all the bus traffic/parking; next day poof! This year, the buses have yet to poof!...at least in the greater Pattaya area. Hope their numbers helps support Thailand's overall tourist goal, just wonder if the numbers adding up will equal income to those working in the industry.

Are you telling me you don't enjoy loud, rude people who push in and don't wait in line - and who believe everyone wants to hear their conversations screamed at top volume?

How un-mluticlutural of you.

Personally, I much prefer the Chinese over the lager louts and the obese 70 year-olds wearing Singha singlets.

Are you telling me you don't enjoy loud, rude people who push in and don't wait in line - and who believe everyone wants to hear their conversations screamed at top volume?

How un-mluticlutural of you.

Personally, I much prefer the Chinese over the lager louts and the obese 70 year-olds wearing Singha singlets.

I dont know. chinese are pretty vulgar people. They have no concept of awarness around them. They just dont give a F#$@

every race has its pros and cons ..

FWIW, the Chinese are everywhere in Pattaya these days, thronging the streets, buses and tourist sites. Been seeing more and more of them the last few months. Don't know if there's a low season for the scourge.

Yeah! I stayed in a Hotel for a month in November in Jomtien which served as an Over-night Hotel for Chinese Tourist. Every day was 5 to 10 bus loads coming and going.

Ever try to get out of an elevator when the door opens and there are 10 Chinese Tourist standing in front of you? You feel like a Half Back in American Football trying to break through the front line. Crazy!

The baht is down too...

I think you have to take Baht v Yuan, but the Chinese currency's fall will mostly make any holidays more expensive for Chinese.

Related to Baht it has fallen of course recently but only to point exactly the same as it was mid-July...... prior to that it only got better and better for them.

As to seasons I would say, outside of Chinese holidays when there is a substantial surge, not really. They seem to be around all year.

I read an article sometimes back that the Chinese are flowing in Thailand because of cheap or even free package tours. The main source of income for those arranging the tours is by taking them to the shops chosen in advanced and over charging them when they buy something (up to few times over charge). They do the same with restaurant etc. So you never know they may still keep coming though Yuan weaken.

I read an article sometimes back that the Chinese are flowing in Thailand because of cheap or even free package tours. The main source of income for those arranging the tours is by taking them to the shops chosen in advanced and over charging them when they buy something (up to few times over charge). They do the same with restaurant etc. So you never know they may still keep coming though Yuan weaken.

Very true. They do this in China also for domestic tourism. But I think they've tried to stop this deceitful practice. Here, they are taken to shops/hotels owned by Chinese. So the money doesn't really get to the local community.