Demolition of 60 Sukhumvit beer bars: Chuwit's fate known today

webfact

He's nothing short of a crook....brothels, bars, gambling dens, gangsters under his charge.........!

Some may think he's a good guy for speaking out......but he's no better than any other big time or small time crook in Thailand......except that he's probably a lot richer.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

"The sub lessor was still collecting rents and fees but not passing them over to Chuvit. And so the bulldozers came in. "

Posting notices is not negotiation to resolve a complex problem, nor respect for the rights of the occupiers of the land. No matter which way you cut it, the outcome is the same - a shameful trampling of the rights of the occupiers by an individual who deserves to do time. Trying to reinvent himself as a man of the people does not atone for his sins.

How do you know negotiation was not tried? You don't ... and you're just "assuming" the worst. Actually, I don't know either ... but I'm not assuming I do know.

In some way, I admire this guy, he certainly is not squeaky clean, but he 's got a bigger pair than some of the current leaders and as the case shows, he gets things done.Plus he has a little book locked away, I surmise, with a few well known names in it.

Anyway, he can well afford to buy his way out of his troubles.

This was what started Chuwit's political career, which I've enjoyed even more than that of Chalerm (Chalerm's sons are a different story). Thaksin was riding high at the time and I thought there was a good chance he would follow Sarit's example and have Chuwit shot. He was reported to be enraged. Chuwit got some good public relations advice, dropped his plan to build a giant whorehouse there and built Queen Sirikit Park instead. He made some financial settlements, but I don't know if he paid off all the shop owners. They weren't all beer bars, by the way. A guy I knew had a girl-friend who had opened a small beer bar there, but there were antique shops, souvenir shops, noodle shops and other small restaurants. All kinds of stuff. I hope the Supreme Court decides he's made restitution and doesn't have to go to jail, but there's no doubt that he deserves it.

By the way, the whole story was very complicated, having to do with a dispute over the ownership of the land, which Chuwit bought from some financial company, and the leases the small shop owners held. Chuwit felt he wasn't bound by the old leases, but he didn't want to spend years going through the courts. He decided it was better to ask forgiveness than ask permission, I guess. Anyway, he sure took direct action.

What is at the site now?

A small park. Was a great shame really. The bar area complimented the sadly defunct Clinton Plaza nicely.

Yeah, if theres one thing Bangkok doesn't have enough of, it's beer bars. Too many parks taking up precious land that could be turned into bars. I really pity the drunks in Bangkok with nowhere to go. Maybe they could develop sanam luang and lupini parks in to more beer bars too. Wouldn't that be great.

The proper punishment for demolishing beer bars is hanged, drawn & quartered.

Unless you're replacing them with nicer beer bars because you want to get the stench of 50 years of vomit out of the wood floors.

Nah, that fine scent is called cultural heritage.

There is a small park there now as Kotsak in post #13 shows with his photo.

I walked past it on Saturday. It's called a park but there's really nothing there.

Either you walked past somewhere else, or you're near blind. Actually Chuwit "Garden" is a very nice park. See my previous post above.

Maybe I did look at the wrong place but why not chill on "you're near blind" shit.

Edited by Bluespunk

I congratulate Khun Chuwit on ridding Sukhumvit Road of this sleazy area of run down beer bars and prostitute pick up dens. It has got rid of the many drunken perverts who used to frequent the area, and given us a restful quiet park to stroll, or sit and read the paper each day.

I gather Khun Chuwit has provided this park on his land and at his expense. He is to be thanked.

If you could take your tongue out of 'Khun Chuwit's' botty for a while, maybe you would like to be made aware in your seemingly staggering ignorance that 'Khun Chuwit' is responsible for far more 'sleazy areas' and 'drunken perverts' in the city than Soi 10 ever was....anyway. Lesson over, enjoy your Daily Mail in the park.

I bow to your superior knowlege of the disgusting brothel bars in our city. At least you still have plenty of choice to persue your predilictions. Actually I prefer The Gaurdian for my news.

cant imagine when he reads that paper, the park is open from 5 am to 7 am and 5pm til 7 pm and closed all day. i have never encountered it open.

cant imagine when he reads that paper, the park

He doesn't. He's trying to make out he's some sort of respectable pillar of society who never frequents bars and only came to Thailand for the culture.....whistling.gif

...and the parks of course....

Edited by MrBrilliant

^^^

"The sub lessor was still collecting rents and fees but not passing them over to Chuvit. And so the bulldozers came in. "

Posting notices is not negotiation to resolve a complex problem, nor respect for the rights of the occupiers of the land. No matter which way you cut it, the outcome is the same - a shameful trampling of the rights of the occupiers by an individual who deserves to do time. Trying to reinvent himself as a man of the people does not atone for his sins.

How do you know negotiation was not tried? You don't ... and you're just "assuming" the worst. Actually, I don't know either ... but I'm not assuming I do know.

I retained close contact with several owners after having got rid of my investment in the area - three weeks before the destruction.

Having followed 'Mad Dog' Chuwit's public career since it began. He is one of my favorite characters in Thai politics ever! He epitomizes the hypocrisy and lack of integrity that Thai politicians ( all politicians) thrive on. If you don't know the whole story look it up. From the destruction of the Square (which was the location of one of my favorite Indian restaurants) to the black mail attempts by the police and military and then his hiding out and finally coming out to the media and then remaking himself from major pimp to perennial mayoral candidate and member of parliament. If you can find the extensive interview he did in the post in maybe '94 - beautiful, The Don could take some notes from this man. Go Get'em Mad Dog!

In some way, I admire this guy, he certainly is not squeaky clean, but he 's got a bigger pair than some of the current leaders and as the case shows, he gets things done.Plus he has a little book locked away, I surmise, with a few well known names in it.

yes I too, but you can't have someone like him as PM

Since we can have a PM who undertook a disgraceful drugs war, a PM who presided over the murder of civilian protestors, a PM who had no political experience and a PM who illegally and treasonably grabbed power - it's not immediately apparent why a quirky sex baron should be automatically excluded from consideration.

I'll add to the chorus that remember the area was more than just beer bars with hookers. It was by far the most non-sleazy of all the bar zones in the Sukhumvit area. There was an excellent open air restaurant at the back, it was quite a mix of different venues and there were enough trees and such to make it a really pleasant place to eat or have a beer. The park has a rather dead boring atmosphere, it almost seems like a cemetery. There was for awhile a coterie of lady boys hanging outside the park at night inthe shadows, people have complained of getting robbed. You feel nervous walking past the place at night, it's dark and there are people just standing there watching people walk by. I doubt that would be happening if the place were still an active area with shops and bars etc.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

a "public" park that is open for 2 hours at 5 am and 5 pm

No, it's open for longer than that.

It used to be open all day, then a couple years ago, they began closing it during the late morning and early afternoon.

Now, I believe it reopens at 4 pm and stays open until 8 or 9 pm. The morning is something like 6 or 7 until 10 am.

A guy wants his land back that belongs to him, he's told to <deleted>, he serves notice, notice is ignored, by people who set their live up there, he sends in bulldozers and gets his land back.

The Junta want encroached land back, they send in their bulldozers, people in these areas lose everything, many believing they had title deeds.

The Junta evict street traders at the second hand market, in Bangkok where many people had their lives belongings and work, and forced them off the streets, and people here on TVF were applauding this clean up?

What exactly is the difference here? A landowner wanting his land back, and being forceful in his actions, and a Junta reclaiming encroached land and being forceful in their actions ? Same same but different?

I remember this shocking and unforgettable event well. I frequented these bars and businesses on nearly a daily basis. A friend of mine owned an Internet Cafe there and a dry cleaning shop. She had recently relocated her Internet shop from across Sukhumvit Road to this more affordable location and also opened a dry cleaning service. One day everything was fine and the next day everything was leveled. It looked like a war zone. For those who may not know, the location is Chuwit Park or Gardens (named after the owner and demolitionist himself) on Sukhumvit Soi 10.

As I strolled by the day following the demolition, i was overwhelmed with disorientation. Something was not right and for a split second i could not put my finger on it. Suddenly nothing was familiar on the even soi numbered side of Sukhumvit and i had to look across the street for a familiar landmark to figure out where i was! This all took place in a few seconds, but then i realized where I was and what had happened...though I did not yet know who was responsible, nor why. All these years later, whenever i stroll past Chuwit Park I can't help but remember the bizarre events and disorienting feelings of that day. hit-the-fan.gif

^^^

We know because we were there at the time, which you were not. You didn't even know it was there, by your own admission in a recent thread.

The sublessor did not attempt to evict the renters. Chuwit decided to bypass the legalities involved in suing the sublessor by hiring army thugs to demolish the place. The shop owners never had a chance, or anything like a day in court.

As stated by some of those who actually frequented the place, those who were actually in Thailand at the time, it was a nice place to shop, eat, and, yes, play pool and drink a beer with a cutie in the evening (the few bars didn't open until 6pm). It was terrifying to prigs with sticks up their fundaments, but a great many of the rest of us enjoyed it...

Why, in mentioning this atrocity, does everyone only talk about beer bars? This was a thriving tourism centre of craft shops with artisans working right on the spot (and who lost everything to this hideous creature). There were clothing shops, salons, gift shops and so on. Chuwot's actions on that night were those of a total scumbag. Yet many of you readers love him!!! Why? He was a pimp, a tout, an acknowledged briber of police and is, by this action, clearly not a man of the people.

Your post has merit, minus the crude comments. I've never mentioned beer bars so "everyone" is inaccurate.

The "love" one has for the villain, I suppose, is as genuine as the dislike and loathing one has for the same person. I rarely ask "why" one belongs to one camp or the other.

It is indeed unfortunate that honest craftspeople, merchants and vendors lost their places of business. In an atmosphere devoid of law and order, the dark side often trumps all others.

@Fat Haggis: "A guy wants his land back that belongs to him, he's told to <deleted>, he serves notice, notice is ignored, by people who set their live up there, he sends in bulldozers and gets his land back."

He was convicted of trespassing (and damage to other people's property and illegal detention). Why do you imagine this was?

yes I too, but you can't have someone like him as PM

And why not? Thailand has had a major drug lord as Prime Minister. They have had the major representatives of smuggling (oil in the south and logging along the Burmese border) as Prime Ministers. They even have had a Prime Minister who boasted of his friendship with Thailand'd best known madame who furnished him with virgins of dubious legal age every night for years. Understand that the illegal economy is the government, including the military and the police.

http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Girls-Gambling-Ganja-Thailands/dp/9747100754

Chaiyo!

Was this the one where he made a night time mission to demolish shops on his land set up by squatters that had no right to be there and refused to leave?

What I remember from the time was that he had allowed these people to stay there until a certain date, and then they had to be gone.

They overstayed, he demolished.

So why is he in court?