NRC anti-graft panel offers 3-punch strategy

Lite Beer

NRC anti-graft panel offers 3-punch strategy
MARISA ISHIKAWA
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE ANTI-CORRUPTION reform panel under the National Reform Council (NRC) disclosed three strategies in the "NRC Blueprint for Change" event on Thursday.

The panel's secretary Wasan Phaileeklee said it had come up with a "three-punch" approach to fight corruption: instilling morality, prevention and suppression.

Wasan said people need to be |educated about how corruption |is morally wrong and bad for the country, and that each individual needs |to join the fight against it.

The NRC has also launched the "Thais are not corrupt" campaign, which Wasan said would encourage people to end the practice, citing the local saying: "Ghosts are afraid of light, just like crooks are afraid of transparency".

As for prevention, Wasan said providing public information, implementing related laws and a better monitoring of the government's advertising budget, which is often used for personal benefit, would help fight graft.

"The best suppression tool for corruption is prevention," Wasan said. "The saying 'corruption in this life will be punished in the next', should no longer be applicable as an effective fight against corruption. We should also include a reformed justice system. Now I expect each case to be taken care of within four or five years, instead of 16 like a recently judged case."

Transparency Thailand's secretary-general, Juree Wijitwatakarn said a core weapon against corruption would be a focus on morality.

"We have to make this fight against corruption a way of life," Juree said.

However, she admitted that the vague idea of ethics in Thai society and an unclear distinction between right and wrong could be blamed for such widespread corruption.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NRC-anti-graft-panel-offers-3-punch-strategy-30266645.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-15

If Wasan really thinks people need to be educated that corruption is morally wrong and bad for the country, then he has already admitted defeat. This is the usual smokescreen, and in fact speaks volumes about Thailand as a whole. Corruption is a way of life here, and it's not going to change.

Unless. The authorities arrest the corrupt, put them on trial and then in prison. Do all of this transparently and with full media scrutiny, and then I might just begin to believe.

If Wasan really thinks people need to be educated that corruption is morally wrong and bad for the country, then he has already admitted defeat. This is the usual smokescreen, and in fact speaks volumes about Thailand as a whole. Corruption is a way of life here, and it's not going to change.

Unless. The authorities arrest the corrupt, put them on trial and then in prison. Do all of this transparently and with full media scrutiny, and then I might just begin to believe.

Particularly so when those who might be described as having unusually high wealth continue to be appointed to very high level positions without transparency/scrutiny/comment

Instead of a 3 punch strategy,they need the knock out strategy,

corruption will only end or at the very least be curbed,if its not

taken more seriously,investigated,and those found guilty,given

long prison terms,when will the Thai people realize its their tax

money that is been stolen.

regards Worgeordie

Particularly so when those who might be described as having unusually high wealth continue to be appointed to very high level positions without transparency/scrutiny/comment

Would be nice if they put some checks there in place, but to be honest there are only a few politicians that I would trust to vote for that Korn and Abisith and otherwise none. Most on both sides would otherwise never get a high position anymore.

I seriously doubt that this will ever happen.

"NRC Blueprint for Change"

should be renamed

"NRC Blueprint against Change"

The term "blueprint" comes from a now archaic COPYING process that produces a copy of the original image with the background area in dark blue and the image reproduced as a white line.

Hence, its association with "Change" is a contradiction! wai2.gif

The NRC seems unable to get past the types of solutions recommended by a class project in school.

Is there never any kind of study about how corruption is handled elsewhere?

Educating people on morality; this is the last refuge of the bankrupt thinker.

To end on a positive note, here's a few suggestions:

Make sure it is a crime for an official to receive bribes or contract kickbacks, either in cash or services.

Then make sure there is a law requiring government procurements to be performed through standard processes, with transparent records, and for it to be a crime to do procurements without the records.

Then charge the Office of the Auditor General of Thailand with performing an annual procurement law compliance audit of every agency, and don't publish the audit schedule.

Then start arresting and prosecuting the officials who don't follow the law.

"The best suppression tool for corruption is prevention,"

Rubbish....the best suppression is conviction....if you had the balls to do it!

Really? By that logic banks wouldn't waste money on vaults, alarms and guards, they would just let the fear of punishment deter would-be thieves.

I agree with the idea of transparency, but I have my doubts as to if and how well it will actually be implemented.

The NRC seems unable to get past the types of solutions recommended by a class project in school.

Make sure it is a crime for an official to receive bribes or contract kickbacks, either in cash or services.

Then make sure there is a law requiring government procurements to be performed through standard processes, with transparent records, and for it to be a crime to do procurements without the records.

Then charge the Office of the Auditor General of Thailand with performing an annual procurement law compliance audit of every agency, and don't publish the audit schedule.

That's a good start. I'd like to add periodic, detailed financial disclosures from everyone in any position to influence government spending and strict laws against conflicts of interest.

I'd also like to see this audit begin with the military, but I know I'm dreaming.

"However, she admitted that the vague idea of ethics in Thai society and an unclear distinction between right and wrong could be blamed for such widespread corruption."

I think this is against one of the forum rules, #11 maybe rolleyes.gif

That's a good start. I'd like to add periodic, detailed financial disclosures from everyone in any position to influence government spending and strict laws against conflicts of interest.

I'd also like to see this audit begin with the military, but I know I'm dreaming.

Heybruce....wake up...:-)

I too do a lot of dreaming.

There actually is an Auditor General. This startled me when I found out. They must have been gelded some time ago.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

3-punch-strategy?
Why so complicated?

If someone steals money from the state budget:
Investigation, evidence, rapid trial, prison.

And please equal rights for all.

And if the police chief is caught drunk behind the wheel,
enforcement of the laws as they exist for every citizen (should)

As usual here words are cheap and plentiful but do sound good and may just give the impression, but not a very good one, that something is being done.

Strategy should be simple, there are laws on the books so just enforce them without fear or favour. Unfortunately this rarely happens and there's no suggestion, as far as I'm concerned, that this will ever change so the brave words and fightin' talk will just continue and little else.