“Bike for Mom” historic event set to start making world record

Lite Beer

“Bike for Mom” historic event set to start making world record

15-8-2558-10-59-40-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) workers began the last cleaning and decorating of the 20 kilometre long route from Dusit to Bang Khen today in preparation for "Bike for Mom" tomorrow, the Royal Thai Police is also checking the route to ensure full safety for all participants joining the historic event which will be recorded in the Guiness Book.

Last night Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha also urged all the people in the country to join the event in their respective provinces to show their loyalty and love to Her Majesty the Queen on her 83rd birthday anniversary.

The Royal Thai Police also issued an order banning the use of drones to make aerial photographing along the route for security reasons.

The Royal Thai Army yesterday performed a show that saw 350 bicyclists forming “Bike for MOM” letters at the Thai Army headquarters, open field.

Aerial images were taken to be featured in the Army’s publication to encourage the people to attend the event on August 16 and show of their loyalty and love to HM the Queen Sirikit.

Government House has also released a poster with an image of HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn to invite everyone to join the ‘Bike for Mom’ photo contest.

Applicants must submit photos taken from the activities to www.bikeformom2015.com, and the deadline for submission is within 23 August, 2015. The winners’ photos will be featured in a special book to mark this historic event.

In his “Returning Happiness to the People” TV broadcast, Prime Minister Prayut urged participating cyclists to ride carefully and to follow traffic regulations and safety procedures for an orderly and successful event on this coming Sunday.

Meanwhile Medical Service Department of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration offered free physical check-up service at the Royal Plaza for people who will participate in the Bike for Mom activities.

Cyclists’ blood pressure were checked, while advice has been given to them on how to prevent dehydration.

Public Health Ministry will dispatch teams of medical staff to take care of Bike for Mom’s cyclists across the nation.

The ministry urged all cyclists to be extra cautious while riding in the narrow bike lane.

Bangkok Mass Transit Authority has adjusted 47 public bus routes to avoid traffic problems on Sunday.

Free shuttle buses with the “Bike for Mom” stickers will be provided for the public on the day.

An around the clock Hotline service 1348 has been set up to make sure the participants receive all the information they need.

In the provinces, everything was also set for the historic event, Chanthaburi province yesterday led people in a cycling rehearsal to ensure readiness for the Bike for Mom 2015 event.

Barcodes system was tested to ensure easy counting of the cyclists and that the campaign successfully meets the “Guinness World of Records” regulations.

The Public Relations Department has already assigned its PRD offices in all provinces to coordinate with provincial governors in getting everything, both people and systems involved, ready for the world record.

Road signs and routes for the campaign are to be clearly identified. Barcodes will be distributed to participating cyclists to help the Guinness World Records team scan and count their number.

Nakhon Ratchasima recorded the highest number of people signing up for the event in Thailand’s northeastern region. It was expected that over 20,000 people are expected to attend the event on Sunday.

Students from Bungkan Technical College in northeastern Bung Kan province also conducted free bike check-up services for all participants ahead of the Bike for Mom event.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bike-for-mom-historic-event-set-to-start-making-world-record

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-15

All this just to get into the world's records? hundreds of thousands of people embarking on this

trivial pursuit of what? to get in to some silly record? gee, couldn't they find a more worthy cause

to justify all of these preparations and troubles? so many worthy causes out there that could benefit

from such gathering and media publicity, instead, it's bike for Mom...

All this just to get into the world's records? hundreds of thousands of people embarking on this

trivial pursuit of what? to get in to some silly record? gee, couldn't they find a more worthy cause

to justify all of these preparations and troubles? so many worthy causes out there that could benefit

Could it be because a certain micro-manager sees cycling as his pet project so a nation has to fall in line ?

So many more beneficial projects in the Queen's name could have been considered but ... !

Edited by NongKhaiKid

what a traffic nightmare this is going to be...

Lots of chances to make records,

the world's longest traffic jam

the most traffic accidents in on day and so on but hopefully

no records involving fatalities or causalities although they might not be released.

It's a strange thing, but Thais of all political stripes seem to think that getting into the Guinness Book of Records is some kind of a national achievement, perhaps akin to winning the Nobel Peace Prize, rather than a piece of meaningless frippery.

Can someone clue me in as to which category this might be in? I would imagine in bike friendly countries such as Netherlands, the number who might take part here is exceeded every day as a matter of course. This will be a "world record" for bike fests in Thailand.... which can't be done in any other country....

So much sheer nonsense and propaganda. Thailand already hold several world records for activities somewhat less noble than this, however, I think that the effort could have been channeled into something more sustainable and meaningful.

To celebrate the Queens Birthday any which way is surely a delight and appropriate, but what saddens me is using this event as a self imposed PR stunt (world record). Many questions could be asked of this government and those past in relation of them conveniently stepping over the boundary. I will not elaborate further as I hold all of the Royal family in high esteem and am aware of the element within this forum who would only be too happy to push the envelope in causing mischief.

So much sheer nonsense and propaganda. Thailand already hold several world records for activities somewhat less noble than this, however, I think that the effort could have been channeled into something more sustainable and meaningful.

Such as?

I'm not a Bike Fan but what is wrong with it? some people just love to grizzle about everything, so if you have a better idea, then let's hear it?

Such as?

I'm not a Bike Fan but what is wrong with it? some people just love to grizzle about everything, so if you have a better idea, then let's hear it?

How about a world record number of people out cleaning the filthy, stinken klongs of Bangkok, that would have a positive effect.

Certainly a historic event, but not for the reasons cited.

OK come on then ,don't be shy----what do you think the reason is,or reasons are?coffee1.gif

As a rule-abiding Forum member, I couldn't possibly comment... ph34r.png

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Okay, I'll swim upstream a little.

I don't intend to ride, but it sounds like it may be fun to watch.

Anyone have some advice about the best place to go watch? All the adverts are in Thai, and while the maps show the routes, I imagine most of the way along routes will be pretty boring.

Anybody know where they set up interesting milestones? Preferably near the BTS or MRT?