Farang-bank Account - Business For The Bank Or Not?

I Have just been refused to open a bank account by a bitchy female staff-member of Ayudhya Bank in Fashion Island although I have already an account from another branch-office of that bank, opened without any problems.

Can somebody explain to me why business-enterprises are refusing clients, so business?

This must be, again, generated by a general Thai gouvernment-rule/law or what? If so: :o again! (they must have already a lot!).

I Have just been refused to open a bank account by a bitchy female staff-member of Ayudhya Bank in Fashion Island although I have already an account from another branch-office of that bank, opened without any problems.

Can somebody explain to me why business-enterprises are refusing clients, so business?

This must be, again, generated by a general Thai gouvernment-rule/law or what? If so: :o again! (they must have already a lot!).

That's strange. Maybe she tried to tell you that -in her understanding- it was not possible to open 2 accounts in the same bank with the same name, at differents branches ?

Why don't you try to transfer your first account to the new branch ?

[i had a problem opening a account for a Farang friend also, I guess laws changed and you have to have a 1 year visa or Immigrant visa now, I just asked to speak to Manager and showed my account and insisted it can be done. Added that I my friend was making a large deposit to open it and it was allowed. Have a local Thai address handy and ask for email access pin codes so you can look online right up from and be prepared for atleast 1 hr wait and paperwork possibly.

That's strange. Maybe she tried to tell you that -in her understanding- it was not possible to open 2 accounts in the same bank with the same name, at differents branches ?

Why don't you try to transfer your first account to the new branch ?

Oh, I didn't know about 2 bank-accounts! I have to go anyway to the main-account bank next week and I'll ask them to do that because now they are too far away of where I'm living. Thaks anyway.

:D

[i had a problem opening a account for a Farang friend also, I guess laws changed and you have to have a 1 year visa or Immigrant visa now, I just asked to speak to Manager and showed my account and insisted it can be done. Added that I my friend was making a large deposit to open it and it was allowed. Have a local Thai address handy and ask for email access pin codes so you can look online right up from and be prepared for atleast 1 hr wait and paperwork possibly.

IF your idea is right: again a farang-unfriendly rule chasing them out of the country as so many with good money already!

IF laws changed concerning that, think of the following:

a farang has been maried to a Thai national and want to apply for a marriage visa. He has to show 400.00 at his bank-book. Impossible to get a bank-account without a work-permit or a years' visa and he just want to have a year-visa! :o

Edited by Toni

No rule. Some Thais seem just to hate farangs and think we should all go home so why help them stay! Go back again and ask someone else. Had same problem at Bangkok Bank with an unfriendly grim b!tch and second time got a young man who was smiling, chatty and friendly. He spoke better English so I suppose "loss of face" issues also apply.............

Banks all over the world scorn at low yield account customers (pensioners, kids, low income people). Home loan is their best biz in retail banking and it is unlikely you would give them that nor would they offer it to you.

To deter nuisance customers, they have imposed the fees and you would chose to bank with them or not.

What you posted is not like that. Could be a bad hair day of the clerk servicing you. Not a system or somebody following the rules, IMO.

Courage!

You can open bank accounts in thailand! Even on a VOA! Non imm '0' is best though. Its just some are pro falang some aren't etc!

Try SCB (Siam Commerical Bank). They have less charges than B of A anyway and are much more friendly IMO.

I think is has more to do with the inefficient Thai banking system that is causing the problem than discriminating foreigners.

Also contributing to the problem is the central bank (BOT) that issues various rules and regulations and at time in conflict of previous rules and regulations. So what does an average teller at a Thai bank tell customers if they are in doubt of a new rule? Just refuse service and say no, alot easier than admitting not knowing the new rule or to converse in English with a foreigner.

Don't expect the manager to be helpful, some see themselves too important to even talk to a customer about a problem.

:o

Former banker

Confirm, there is no issue with having multiple accounts with the same name and bank at difference branches of said bank... not for any of the top 5 banks anyway (BBL, KBank, SCB, Krungsri, Krungthai...).

It'd be interesting to know what the official BOT stance on foreign accounts is though... officially allowed without work permits, etc. or not? Are such rules on the books and just not enforced (like the whole visa runner thing) or are these just widespread reports of grumpy/unhelpful bank employees?

It'd be interesting to know what the official BOT stance on foreign accounts is though... officially allowed without work permits, etc. or not? Are such rules on the books and just not enforced (like the whole visa runner thing) or are these just widespread reports of grumpy/unhelpful bank employees?

It is diffuclt to determine. The problems are usually not with this employee or another, but rather depend on the branch policy.

I have a friend that wanted to open a bank account without a WP. He tried several banks and they all refused. I called SCB head office and they said no can do. Quick search in Thai visa showed that some branches have no problems with that. He went to SCB branch in Times Square and got one with no problems.

I think is has more to do with the inefficient Thai banking system that is causing the problem than discriminating foreigners.

Also contributing to the problem is the central bank (BOT) that issues various rules and regulations and at time in conflict of previous rules and regulations. So what does an average teller at a Thai bank tell customers if they are in doubt of a new rule? Just refuse service and say no, alot easier than admitting not knowing the new rule or to converse in English with a foreigner.

Don't expect the manager to be helpful, some see themselves too important to even talk to a customer about a problem.

Former banker

You all are perfectly right! It is like the Thai official rules and as they say in there rules: it is up to the descretion of the officer :D so: flexible laws and rules....

I got an account in September last year only showing my passport with a visa on entry, without having a permanent residence.

Anyway, another Ayudhya branch-office very helpful, joking and laughing. Comment: Fashion Island is a very small office with too much work...... (so better loose business than work harder!). Also they are not following Buddha's teaching: don't lie because there does not seem to excist such a rule from the Thai Central Bank who indeed is giving rules and not the gouvernment as proved now: the Kasikorn Bank refused to close the day after the coupe saying that the notice was too short and they were preparing opening already; the only Thai bank (I have heard)!