Tourists among 19 killed by bomb at Bangkok's Erawan shrine

webfact

the fact that they targeted the shrine rather than a major tourist area suggests a religious bias, and as we are all aware the majority of muslims may not be terrorists but the majority of terrorists are muslim

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it surprising that the PM has decided to remain silent other than issuing a statement through his officers. He clamours for this face to be seen on a daily basis - but with such an outrage he has gone to ground? Or am I wrong - has anyone see him make any announcements on local TV?

The PM should be amongst the first on-air appealing for calm and assuring the populace that he has this under control (no matter how unbelievable that is).

Within a couple of hours there were all sorts of conspiracies coming out as well as the number killed when will the Thai officials learn to keep there mouths shut until they have got all the evidence . Now 12 hours later we have a government minister climbing the bomb or booms were aimed at tourists yet a very good reason to stay away from Thailand. In my humble opinion I do not think it has anything to do with foreigners I believe it could be internal fractions dismayed at the way the military are running the country R.I.P to the deceased my thoughts and prayers are with there families at this very sad time.

Very good summary about the Erawan Shrine.

http://www.absolutethai.com/erawan-shrine/

Would like to quote two things that stuck in my mind after reading:

"THIS IS THE ERAWAN SHRINE, AND IT IS ONE OF THE MOST SPIRITUALLY SIGNIFICANT PLACES FOR BANGKOK RESIDENTS."

"THE FACT THAT THE RAJAPRASONG INTERSECTION WAS ALSO A PLACE, HISTORICALLY, WHERE CRIMINALS WERE PUBLICALLY EXECUTED DID NOTHING TO DISPEL FEARS OF A CURSE."

The police commanders are making a mess of this event with their quick conclusions and claims. They need to shut up and undertake a proper investigation first. Without a thorough investigation, it is impossible believe these clowns when they attribute responsibility or the cause of the explosion.

If it takes the police in the EU and the USA days, if not weeks to construct a credible hypothesis, how is it that so many foreigners are quick to accept whatever the unprofessional and poorly trained Thai police commanders say?

Normal course of events, however you forgot to add about the tramping all over the evidence, and the usual statement, which is a bit slow in coming this time -- "it couldn't have been Thai, they don't do this sort of thing"

Bomb was intended to kill?

Now that is what I call ..a very helpful piece of info.

I think he meant that it was a very powerful explosive,so the intention was to kill.Other bombs have been planted with intention to scare or make a statement,here i am thinking of the car bomb placed in a car in a shopping centre on koh samui.

Maybe i just saw the police statement in a different way.

Surely there must be surveillance cameras covering such a busy area that might give some clue as to who did this !

There are likely hundreds of them covering the area, with few working, and those that work are the quality of a 2002 cell phone camera.

The police commanders are making a mess of this event with their quick conclusions and claims. They need to shut up and undertake a proper investigation first. Without a thorough investigation, it is impossible believe these clowns when they attribute responsibility or the cause of the explosion.

If it takes the police in the EU and the USA days, if not weeks to construct a credible hypothesis, how is it that so many foreigners are quick to accept whatever the unprofessional and poorly trained Thai police commanders say?

There are only 2 viable suspect groups, but the MO does not match completely for both. The red shirts however bad they are only killed people in small numbers and the separatist from the south have so far never bombed BKK and even for their doing this is an extreme case.

At this point I would not bet either way, maybe a third group but that would be totally new.

You are right in the west they are more about careful about statements, but that is just not the norm here.

Agree to a certain extend, but the southern terrorist have been spreading operations. In December 2013 a vehicle with a bomb in was found in Phuket it was left there for 2 weeks(the Thai press didnt report it but you can Google it). Then we had Samui which the security forces denied was southern terrorist even before they investigated the bombing, this bomb was intended to kill. Last night we had the first denials again that this is not southern terrorists. In the past southern terrorist used homemade explosives, but if you look at the damage of last nights bomb it looks like commercial or military grade explosives, which indicates either an escalation of capabilities of the terrorists or outside help. It doesnt matter who bombed BKK it was a major breach of Thai security and a lapse in operational intellegence - a major loss of face.

Horrible and senseless act of a deranged mind or minds.

Sadly one that in all likelihood will not gain them the goal they seek.

Rarely if ever in the history of zealots using bombs does their means arrive at their desired end. But that doesn't stop the lunatic fringe from believing 'it will happen this time'. Lot's of theories, few with anything more than somewhat logical suppositions, more with 'blame the historical enemy and look for rationale to do so'.

It's nice to think it is as simple as pick a motive and match it to your enemy or philosophical whipping boy. But this particular act is far from a rational mind at work, quite clearly it is an amoral and vindictive one, without a shred of humanity in it. In their deranged thinking they may have a social goal as part of it, but in the cold eye of reality, they are not really working to a viable ideal, but only lashing out at strangers as pawns to be used toward their unclearly thought out goals.

Killing people has never once wrought a utopia for mankind,

least of all one run by those who committed the viscous acts.

Suposition.

In some respects this it is similar to the Samui bomb;

Aimed close to a tourism driven economic symbol, and likely to be injuring tourists without compunction, yet squarely aimed at economic destruction. Could it be that they see that they may not have succeeded to make a big enough wave to sunder the tourist trade with the Festival bombing on Samui, so the anti has been raised? The positive tourist numbers of late and the fact the Samui bomb didn't dent them may have been a partial motivation to increase the slaughter.

RIP to the dead and a quick and complete recovery to the injured.

And good hunting to the forces of good, to capture and punish the perpetrators quickly, truly and entirely.

Edited by animatic

I wonder if there's any video of the scene before the bomb went off. CCTV is how they caught the Boston Bombers if I remember right.

Bangkok governor came out last night on Twitter saying "we have got something on CCTV. Can't tell you what it is right now". Not a very intelligent statement I agree, but apparently they are going through the CCTV footage prior to explosion.

The difference between Boston and Bangkok is that well trained people reviewed the evidence and made intelligent decisions which were followed through to a conclusion - don't think for one minute that will happen here, it will be a continual stream of useless comments, contradicted every 5 minutes as someone else raises a new theory -- all ending without any real conclusion.

There are only 2 viable suspect groups, but the MO does not match completely for both. The red shirts however bad they are only killed people in small numbers and the separatist from the south have so far never bombed BKK and even for their doing this is an extreme case.

At this point I would not bet either way, maybe a third group but that would be totally new.

You are right in the west they are more about careful about statements, but that is just not the norm here.

Agree to a certain extend, but the southern terrorist have been spreading operations. In December 2013 a vehicle with a bomb in was found in Phuket it was left there for 2 weeks(the Thai press didnt report it but you can Google it). Then we had Samui which the security forces denied was southern terrorist even before they investigated the bombing, this bomb was intended to kill. Last night we had the first denials again that this is not southern terrorists. In the past southern terrorist used homemade explosives, but if you look at the damage of last nights bomb it looks like commercial or military grade explosives, which indicates either an escalation of capabilities of the terrorists or outside help. It doesnt matter who bombed BKK it was a major breach of Thai security and a lapse in operational intellegence - a major loss of face.

"Thai security and a lapse in operational intelligence" oxymoron or a conflict in terms.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-says-surveillance-cameras-capture-bomb-suspect-clearly

Army chief says surveillance cameras capture bomb suspect clearly
Army commander-in-chief Gen Udomdej Seetabutr said security officials have obtained video footages at the bomb explosion scene which clearly showed a suspect carrying a bag into the scene before it went off.

He did not elaborate the nationality of the suspect but said the bomb attack might be a retaliation to the recent operation of the Thai government.

He did not go further saying security officials are following the case closely.

Meanwhile the death toll in the explosion stood at 20 deaths.

They included two Malaysians, two Taiwanese, two Singaporeans, a Hongkongnese, and the rest Thais.

"The red shirts however bad they are..."

In the opinion of a minority who cannot defeat them in an election.

"....only killed people in small numbers"

When and where? Other than reiterating self-serving trope from one side of the political divide.

Edited by Blackfalds

I wonder if there's any video of the scene before the bomb went off. CCTV is how they caught the Boston Bombers if I remember right.

Bangkok governor came out last night on Twitter saying "we have got something on CCTV. Can't tell you what it is right now". Not a very intelligent statement I agree, but apparently they are going through the CCTV footage prior to explosion.

The difference between Boston and Bangkok is that well trained people reviewed the evidence and made intelligent decisions which were followed through to a conclusion - don't think for one minute that will happen here, it will be a continual stream of useless comments, contradicted every 5 minutes as someone else raises a new theory -- all ending without any real conclusion.
The post mortem of the Boston aftermath showed a whole lot of misstatements, bad info, theories thrown out willy nilly, and much government miscommunications with the public, press and inter-departmental. They got the loonies quickly, but there was more than a small spike in a keystone Cops stupidity in the process.

The PM holding his tongue at the moment might seem weak to some, but it could also be wise. Speak when you are sure what you can and can not say to the follow up questions you will invariably get. More than enough voices babbling to be heard now.

Edited by animatic

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-says-surveillance-cameras-capture-bomb-suspect-clearly

Army chief says surveillance cameras capture bomb suspect clearly

Army commander-in-chief Gen Udomdej Seetabutr said security officials have obtained video footages at the bomb explosion scene which clearly showed a suspect carrying a bag into the scene before it went off.

He did not elaborate the nationality of the suspect but said the bomb attack might be a retaliation to the recent operation of the Thai government.

He did not go further saying security officials are following the case closely.

Meanwhile the death toll in the explosion stood at 20 deaths.

They included two Malaysians, two Taiwanese, two Singaporeans, a Hongkongnese, and the rest Thais.

What recent Thai government operation do they mean?

May all victims rest in peace/recover soon

Thailand - The land of smiles and happinez - sorry not anymore.

Now in every country on this planet we have to to face terrorism.

Tourism Industry in Thailand is doomed. This is the reality even when some people don´t like it and try to cover it up.

Exactly, the scale and nature of it is not the style of the Reds, I'm beginning to lean towards a new external faction of some sort.

External of BKK? Probably.

New to BKK? Obviously.

Faction? How long did anybody think it would take islamist signature terror to move north (if that is what happened)?

I don't care what colour they are, what they're intentions are, they are murderers pure & simple !!

Planting a bomb to maim and kill Thai nationals plus foreigners to harm the economy, halt tourism.

They think this is in the best interest of their "cause" whatever that maybe.... pure madness !!!!

Who the hell wants these people back in power I really don't know... but I think any sane Thai person would rather have the recent peaceful times than go back to street warfare!!

A bomb on the street is a shot in the foot !!!!

The motive, as with the perpetrators is as yet unknown.

This has the markings of radicalisation by IS. Not members of IS but people who have learnt how to make these devices from them.

I hope that when they are caught they get the death penelty. Dont put them in jail you wont alter this type of person with a jail sentence.

Edited by gandalf12

RIP to those who lost who lost their lives. I hope the injured make full recoveries.

Let's leave the conjecture to the Thai authorities people!

So far we have:

Red Shirts

Islamic Extremeists

Yellow shirts

The military leaders

Family or friends of a mentally ill man that was killed in 2006 after destroying a statue.

Believe it or not, there are some very well trained people in the RTP and RTA.

Perhaps Mr. Chan Ocha is showing some smarts by waiting for some concrete evidence before blaming someone.

So sad that this could happen anywhere in the world and no matter what security measures are in place it can still happen!

Will we hear from officials "No Thai could do this" as we did on another horrific tragedy not so long ago on an island?

Will we continue to hear this hackneyed piece of satire on every other thread about Thailand? You forgot to add "Thainess at it's best".

Edited by Rykbanlor

Bad news on the economy, increased political pressure, confidence growing to push back the national charter and now this. The pressure is mounting but I actually have faith in the authorities to get to the bottom of this heinous crime. They have have some excellent resources and people in place in Bangkok and they are not as bad as we fallangs make out. Let them do their job and expect the PM to be draconian in this matter - he will need to be.

It should be widely accepted, that when an event like this happens you are going to get conspiracy theories and a lot of misstatements.

The information is coming from many directions and on social media there is no check/control of information.

I've already read the death toll being 2 - 27 and it changed about 68 times. The cause of the explosion, the reason, the type of device and who's responsible is also changing with each post.

As far as an investigation goes, IF it is conducted properly and with the experience and expertise of that used in the Boston bombings, I will be surprised. I hope for the pure reason of someone or people being held accountable that it is conducted properly and not like the blunder of the island.

As far as who or why, I don't have a clue. I will keep reading and my mind will keep changing.

It's always a reality check when you see the videos and photos and for those that were there at ground zero and survived, they are forever changed.

Edited by Nowisee

May all victims rest in peace/recover soon

Thailand - The land of smiles and happinez - sorry not anymore.

Now in every country on this planet we have to to face terrorism.

Tourism Industry in Thailand is doomed. This is the reality even when some people don´t like it and try to cover it up.

Remember the seizure of the airport, the Red Shirts burning buildings, shooting and bombing the yellow shirts daily, 2 military coups, curfew and still the tourism come. Now the bombing is big news. In 2 weeks everyone has forgotten.....

Now my Thai family has a problem. My Thai sister-in-law was returning to Norway from Phuket, via Bangkok. Yesterday, she travelled alone to Bangkok and said she was going to near the Erewan Shrine to buy some clothes/souvenirs.

We haven't heard from her since and her outbound flight departed from Swampy at 9.00am today. I cannot find out if she was on the flight (small airline - no office at Swampy), and the Bangkok hospitals refuse to check if her name is on the list of injured/killed.

Is there a public list of casualty's names?

This has the markings of radicalisation by IS. Not members of IS but people who have learnt how to make these devices from them.

I hope that when they are caught they get the death penelty. Dont put them in jail you wont alter this type of person with a jail sentence.

Jail or death.....I would say whatever is cheaper....

If it weren't so stupid it would be funny. The southern Muslims didn't do this. This was political. The Reds have been far too quiet and their discontent can only be put off for so long.

RIP to those poor souls enjoying a holiday or visit to the shrine. Terrible.