Tourists among 19 killed by bomb at Bangkok's Erawan shrine

webfact

To me this seems weird. Two other bombs have been set off but always at times when almost no one has been around so they have caused little or no loss of life. This seems intended to kill and maim large numbers. Who has gained from this? The red shirts will presumably be blamed, but what do they get out of it? The junta will probably use it as an excuse to tighten (and lengthen) their grip on power, but tourism is the only bright spot in the economy and to endanger tourism would be totally irresponsible and not in the junta's interest either. How about overspill from the conflict in the South? Again unless you get publicity for your cause how do you benefit, and if you don;t claim responsibility how do you get publicity?

As I say it is weird. And scary.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it weren't so stupid it would be funny. The southern Muslims didn't do this. This was political. The Reds have been far too quiet and their discontent can only be put off for so long.

RIP to those poor souls enjoying a holiday or visit to the shrine. Terrible.

Please post proof of your claims, as you dont have any lets wait for the investigation.

My contacts in the NE provinces say the dogs have been barking for a number of months that terrorist acts were likely to break out at any time. No proof just gossip. But where there is smoke there is fire and possibly explosions. This would fit in with Thai police concentrating security up in the NE. How many Uighurs and radical muslims in that area?

The junta groupies continue their unsympathetic comments for political gain. I knew they were pretty low to support a military takeover but to blame their opponents for no other reason than wishful thinking is despicable. It would be astounding if the reds were to blow up one of their main shrines, kill loads of Thais and tourists and expect to gain politically. I don't know who was responsible for this, but it's a terrible act and I'm sure if it was connected to the redshirts they would lose a lot of support, including mine. Even then, I would never be a cheerleader for a military junta. I'm ex-British Army and I wouldn't trust the brass that I was involved with to run a bacon slicer, let alone a country.

On CNN this morning they are saying this shrine is a Hindu shrine??? Bad reporting? I was within 50mtrs of this shrine on Sunday going to shopping centre. The wife and daughter don't wish to do the tourist thing anymore! So it has impacted on our length of stay in Bangkok. Scary stuff. Condolences to those affected by this terrible incident.

It is a Hindu shrine.
oh ok thanks

RIP to victims and condolences to families and friends in involved. Let's hope this doesn't happen again.

Good reply not full of accusations, finger pointing or innuendo's. Lets all strive for this until they come up with some concrete answers. Let me ad my condolences.

"The perpetrators intended to destroy the economy and tourism because the incident occurred in the heart of the tourism district"

So all of a sudden we have an attack on national security. Perhaps we won't be seeing elections now for a few years to come. That would be convenient for some......

Sure a false flag operation on this scale cheesy.gif or is that not what your suggesting ?

Unfortunately, such is thought process, blind being led by the blind.

There are many that still believe that 9/11 was a government backed event.

Anyway, speculation is a dangerous weapon, even if innocently used.

To me this seems weird. Two other bombs have been set off but always at times when almost no one has been around so they have caused little or no loss of life. This seems intended to kill and maim large numbers. Who has gained from this? The red shirts will presumably be blamed, but what do they get out of it? The junta will probably use it as an excuse to tighten (and lengthen) their grip on power, but tourism is the only bright spot in the economy and to endanger tourism would be totally irresponsible and not in the junta's interest either. How about overspill from the conflict in the South? Again unless you get publicity for your cause how do you benefit, and if you don;t claim responsibility how do you get publicity?

As I say it is weird. And scary.

CNN giving it publicity on a huge scale, redshirts probably will get the blame, as you say but I don,t think they did this and if blame is laid upon moselim extremists then havoc might erupt in BK and the south.

A third party is probable but if it was a third party, such as a warning to Thailand not to cozy up to china to much it will be dispelled as conspiracy.

Watch the political horizon in the coming months it may well tell the story.

How do you get publicity CNN+CIA= publicity.

There are only 2 viable suspect groups, but the MO does not match completely for both. The red shirts however bad they are only killed people in small numbers and the separatist from the south have so far never bombed BKK and even for their doing this is an extreme case.

At this point I would not bet either way, maybe a third group but that would be totally new.

You are right in the west they are more about careful about statements, but that is just not the norm here.

You are not to bright. I think you forgot about the 90 people killed 10 years ago. stop thinking in the past and wake up to the future.

Are you referring to the 90 persons killed 10 (5) years ago in 2010? Why is it necessary for TV contributors to insult others in what could and should be a meaningful, sensible and well thought out discussion? What Robblok wrote seems, to me, to be reasonable. It is not reflective of him being "not to(o) bright". No one has the monopoly on knowing all about the future, or even the present.

" The red shirts however bad they are..."

Not designed to turn this into another anti-red thread then?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-says-surveillance-cameras-capture-bomb-suspect-clearly

Army chief says surveillance cameras capture bomb suspect clearly

Army commander-in-chief Gen Udomdej Seetabutr said security officials have obtained video footages at the bomb explosion scene which clearly showed a suspect carrying a bag into the scene before it went off.

He did not elaborate the nationality of the suspect but said the bomb attack might be a retaliation to the recent operation of the Thai government.

He did not go further saying security officials are following the case closely.

Meanwhile the death toll in the explosion stood at 20 deaths.

They included two Malaysians, two Taiwanese, two Singaporeans, a Hongkongnese, and the rest Thais.

What recent Thai government operation do they mean?

Sending Chinese Uirgurs back to persecution, refusing Rohingha refugees landfall in Thailand?

Bangkok bombing: Thai junta says suspect identified

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bangkok-bombing-thai-junta-says-suspect-identified-20150818-gj1s8d.html

"Security forces believe they have identified a suspect with the help of CCTV footage."

"Mr Prayut said the suspect was believed to be from an "anti-government group based in Thailand's northeast" - the heartland of the kingdom's Red Shirt movement that opposes the military junta."

Geez, didn't see that coming eh?

Edited by moojar

Thailand reporting !!

one headline says 19, the next tile 18, the 3rd one 19 - in the same articel

than : nearly 100 injured,

in next line 123 are injured,

Bomb at the erevan shrine -

if you look on some pictures - its on the street,

some pictures show near the fence ,

no one shows the place where it should have taken to many reports - in the erewan shrine;

How a motorbike would be parked inside the shrine ??

terrible reporting,

but comparing some pictures - seems 2 bombs ?

One on streedt where the bikes,

and a 2nd bomb hole just beside of the fence - inside the fence, so not out on the street !!

First my condolences to the victims of this terrible attack. This must have something to do with this shrine. Religious, political, personal or whatever...

If you want to kill as many people, why not at the Bike for mom event last Sunday in Bangkok. 40,000 on the move. Or on public transport during rush hours.

If you want to kill tourists or foreigners, why not somewhere at Sukhumvit or any random hotel.

Anyway I hope they find them very soon...

Govt: Security situation around Rajaprasong under control

BANGKOK, 18 August 2015 (NNT) – The government has issued a statement regarding the bomb blast in central Bangkok on Monday evening, urging the public to be vigilant as investigations are underway.

Deputy Government Spokesperson Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd hosted a special telecast to inform the Thai people of the situation at Rajaprasong intersection after the area was shaken by a powerful explosion. He revealed that after the blast, which occurred at around 7 pm Monday, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed condolences for those who lost their lives and promised to conduct serious probes into the case.

So far, the Deputy Spokesman said security officers have been able to keep the situation under control. All of the wounded were sent to nearby hospitals. Concerned authorities are trying to verify the identities of foreign victims and contact their families at home as soon as possible.

Maj Gen Sansern urged the public to help keep an eye out for suspicious individuals or activities and report them to security agencies immediately if found while also closely monitoring reports from government sources.

Meanwhile, Deputy Government Spokesperson Maj Gen Weerachon Sukhonthapatipak said the total number of casualties and injuries shall be confirmed once emergency services are able to provide verified information. He affirmed security officials are taking every possible measure to secure the site of bombing and conduct investigations while emergency services are in full response.

Maj Gen Weerachon deemed it too early to determine who and what motivations may have been behind the attack but insisted that authorities are following possible leads.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2015-08-18 footer_n.gif

yes, please people look around - the bomb layers for sure there still around !

It tooks police 1 day to find out that there were 2 bombs in detonation !

Very fast for RTP !

When there will arrive some real experts -

did they call them from Koh Tao ??

first ferry boat in the morning , than first flight from Surat Thani -

so they could have arrived already !!

First my condolences to the victims of this terrible attack. This must have something to do with this shrine. Religious, political, personal or whatever...

If you want to kill as many people, why not at the Bike for mom event last Sunday in Bangkok. 40,000 on the move. Or on public transport during rush hours.

If you want to kill tourists or foreigners, why not somewhere at Sukhumvit or any random hotel.

Anyway I hope they find them very soon...

If the bike event was targetted on this scale cival war would now be in action.

Considering alot of Thai died I hardly think its aimed at foreigners. If they wanted to make a statement targeting foreigners they would have bombed nana or patpong etc. Has anyone forgotten the bombs before and the guy who blew his legs off. Was he from Iran?..

BOMB ATTACK

At least 16 killed, up to 100 injured by biggest attack

THE NATION

30266798-05_big.jpg

A Sene from CCTV

BANGKOK: -- A LARGE bomb rocked central Bangkok's Ratchaprasong area last night, killing at least 16 people and injuring dozens more last night.

The blast - perhaps the biggest attack in the country - was the first major violence following the May 2014 coup. It appeared to target the city's Erawan Shrine, which is popular with Chinese tourists.

National police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmuang condemned the fatal attack, saying the suspects were very cruel and had every intention to kill innocent people.

"I want to condemn the attack and the attackers who were brutal as they attacked the Erawan Shrine at about 7pm, when it is usually packed with foreign tourists and worshippers," Somyot said.

Roads leading to Ratchaprasong Intersection would be closed until noon August 18 so police can collect evidence from the scene, he said.

At the time of the blast, Ratchaprasong and the Erawan Shrine were packed with motorists, tourists and worshippers.

The National Council for Peace and Order, which is led by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, called an urgent meeting following the blast.

Somyot said a Chinese and a Filipino national were among those killed. Earlier, unconfirmed reports claimed four foreigners were among the casualties.

Somyot said initial inquiries showed the suspects had planted an improvised explosive device under a chair close to the fence of the Erawan Shrine. It was a 3kg TNT explosive with a capacity to damage a 100-metre area.

Somyot said he had informed Prayut as well as Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan of the incident, adding he was not ruling out any possible cause for the attack. The authorities have ordered police to ensure public security.

Initial reports said at least 15 were killed and 100 injured in the explosion that occurred just before 7pm. Somyot said another suspected bomb was found by a bomb squad in the same area.

The Police Hospital asked for the public to donate blood for dozens of injured victims. Most of the injured were Chinese tourists who were believed to be paying respect to the shrine when the blasts took place.

"It was a TNT bomb... the people who did it targeted foreigners and to damage tourism and the economy," Prawit said.

Witnesses believed there were two blasts, with the first bomb detonated on a motorcycle parked on the street, while a second was near the Erawan Shrine. The usually busy Ratchaprasong area was immediately sealed off.

Former deputy government spokesman MajGeneral Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Prawit was assigned by the PM to take charge of the situation. He said it was too early to pinpoint the cause.

Security sources said the incident was believed to be politically motivated, and may involve the move to strip former PM Thaksin Shinawatra of his police rank, the draft charter, the looming military reshuffle, and the spillover from unrest in the deep South.

"I was having dinner at the Hyatt Erawan when a large explosion shook the building," said Eric Seldin, an office worker told DPA. "When we were allowed outside 15 minutes later we saw several bodies covered under white sheets and damage to a nearby shrine."

TV footage showed emergency workers assisting survivors and body parts scattered on the road. A bomb crater was visible in the courtyard of the Hindu shrine.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/At-least-16-killed-up-to-100-injured-by-biggest-at-30266798.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-08-18

Read Read !

Somyoth have informed PM that there was a bomb in BKK !!

And that he have no IDEA about it !!

He counting his days to retirement only -

maybee he should be put on an inactive post INSTANTLY !!

Now my Thai family has a problem. My Thai sister-in-law was returning to Norway from Phuket, via Bangkok. Yesterday, she travelled alone to Bangkok and said she was going to near the Erewan Shrine to buy some clothes/souvenirs.

We haven't heard from her since and her outbound flight departed from Swampy at 9.00am today. I cannot find out if she was on the flight (small airline - no office at Swampy), and the Bangkok hospitals refuse to check if her name is on the list of injured/killed.

Is there a public list of casualty's names?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/List-of-injured-foreign-tourists-at-hospitals-30266831.html

Edited by Jai Dee
Links to BKK Post have been removed

Now my Thai family has a problem. My Thai sister-in-law was returning to Norway from Phuket, via Bangkok. Yesterday, she travelled alone to Bangkok and said she was going to near the Erewan Shrine to buy some clothes/souvenirs.

We haven't heard from her since and her outbound flight departed from Swampy at 9.00am today. I cannot find out if she was on the flight (small airline - no office at Swampy), and the Bangkok hospitals refuse to check if her name is on the list of injured/killed.

Is there a public list of casualty's names?

Call the HQ of the airline. I had problems somewhat similar a few years ago. Called the HQ and they (sort of) helped get things sorted out. Best of luck.

A lot of talk now of two bombs, I thought it looked like 2 explosions in the cctv footage.

This was a 3kg bomb desinged to kill, first it was a pipe bomb filled with gun powder.

Now it is more sophisticated, now we have cctv footage of the suspect, and we have identified him as being from the north east.

The red shirts will get blame for this , they may have done this, but seems extreme for them.

This event will damage tourism with many packing up and cutting holidays short, Quantas airways offering help to evacuate tourists.

The location of the bomb would help to support a political motive, and also damage tourism.

I lean toward a third party, easy to set up blame if you choose the right location, and maybe the right idiot to place the bomb.

Upsetting tourism at the same time will pee a lot of high powered rich people off, this could be the catylist for a new political overthrow as well as a warning from someone more sinister.

Game set and match, a red shirt crime , no need to probe further, and we got your message.

Another couple of these and tourism = dead ,

The incident occurred adjacent to a shrine held sacred by both Buddhists and Hindus. This is unlikely to be linked with either main political faction in Thailand but rather the issues in the south. Having said that - too early to jump to conclusions.

I don't think it is related to issues in the South,.... However I don't rule out a connection to the Uighur issue, or that it might be related to domestic political issues....

Bangkok bombing: Thai junta says suspect identified

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bangkok-bombing-thai-junta-says-suspect-identified-20150818-gj1s8d.html

"Security forces believe they have identified a suspect with the help of CCTV footage."

"Mr Prayut said the suspect was believed to be from an "anti-government group based in Thailand's northeast" - the heartland of the kingdom's Red Shirt movement that opposes the military junta."

Geez, didn't see that coming eh?

There is also another CCTV circulating that show a Arab looking chap left a knapsack and walk away while talking on the phone. Predictably the PM decided to use his CCTV and lay blame without even considering other tapes.

Upsetting tourism at the same time will pee a lot of high powered rich people off, this could be the catylist for a new political overthrow as well as a warning from someone more sinister.

Most of the Thai highups don't like foreigners in their country.

They have plenty of money.

But what they do like to have is control of the Thai 'serfs'.

Tourist money goes to the serfs.

As for who did the bombing,

Usually a religious shrine would be the target of religious extremists.

If the target was tourists, Kao San road and many other places are busier than the shrine.

If the target was political, plenty of army barracks (and similar) in BK.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I don't believe it will be directly related to the political situation. The red's and yellow's may be after each other, but they are not out to destroy the country or it's tourist market. There fight is quite internal and they would just as soon keep foreign gov'ts and the international press at bay. They are also very superstitious and the bombing of a religious shrine is pretty risky stuff.

The military is extremely unlikely to be directly involved. They can hold on to power for as long as they like.

Those who wish to strike terror in the hearts of the Thais can do so much more easily, with much smaller explosions in much more strategic locations. They can also do so with little harm to people.

This appears to be either something new or a very dangerous turn of events in the country.

My heart goes out to all who are affected.

Something to consider... The Media is reporting that this bomb was targeting 'foreigners.' Then why a street corner at 7pm? Look at the video. There are only a few people on the street. True, it was outside a tourist venue, but just how many tourists visit shrines a night? Most tourists would be eating dinner at this hour.

The largest concentration of foreigners would be found a few kilometers west of there, in the Khaosan Road area, where a bomb like this would have killed hundreds and injured thousands at 7pm, where the street is so crowed that you almost can't walk through. Or one block over from Khaosan Road, where the street is crammed with outdoor diners, sitting shoulder to shoulder while strollers make their way through the crowds at 7pm.

Something doesn't make sense to me.

I suspect this was 'anti coup' terrorism. and they might have wanted to avoid targeting 'farang' tourists, e.g: kao san road, as farangs mostly support democracy. Maybe they wanted to target Chinese tourists as, on the world stage, they represent the opposite of democracy.

Edited by SunsetT

Something to consider... The Media is reporting that this bomb was targeting 'foreigners.' Then why a street corner at 7pm? Look at the video. There are only a few people on the street. True, it was outside a tourist venue, but just how many tourists visit shrines a night? Most tourists would be eating dinner at this hour.

The largest concentration of foreigners would be found a few kilometers west of there, in the Khaosan Road area, where a bomb like this would have killed hundreds and injured thousands at 7pm, where the street is so crowed that you almost can't walk through. Or one block over from Khaosan Road, where the street is crammed with outdoor diners, sitting shoulder to shoulder while strollers make their way through the crowds at 7pm.

Something doesn't make sense to me.

I suspect this was 'anti coup' terrorism. and they might have wanted to avoid targeting 'farang' tourists, e.g: kao san road, as farangs mostly support democracy. Maybe they wanted to target Chinese tourists as, on the world stage, as they represent the opposite of democracy.

The old white guys on this forum seem to mostly hate Thaksin (even though their wives love him) and love Prayut.

Religious target = religious extremists.