Reluctant Kentucky clerk gets time for gay marriage appeal

webfact

No stay should have been granted. A stay implies that this clerk has a case that is worthy. It is not! That she might prevail. She will not. I think the judge doesn't want to offend the big time conservative republican base from which he draws his support. This is not supposed to happen. Her financial backers are big time repubs. And of course has this Christian woman thought about the words of Christ, "Judge not, lest you be judged." "Render unto ceasar what is cesar's" (means you are not to use religion in politics) and on her own divorce doesn't Christ say that is NO NO? Yeah I am judging but I am sure I am hypocrite! Maybe sinful.

The judge is appointed for life. And you left one out; "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Most of the anti Davis crowd here seem to fail all three sayings.

Don't worry, God forgives us all. I'll go to confession. Three Hail Mary's and a Glory Be and I'm good.

Can she resign now?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because both sides do have a point, suddenly her job description changed and its against her faith

No it hasn't. Her job is issuing pieces of paper to couples who are legally allowed to wed.

I don't see that it's ever changed. All that's changed is the people who are allowed to wed. Otherwise it's none of her f---ing business.

Agreed. The job description hasn't changed. When she took her job, there already was separation of Church and State. The States says there's marriage equality. End of story. It is she that's bringing her personal interpretation of her religion into the job, not the job infringing on her religion.

T

Funny how one set of morals can trump another set of morals. One of the discussions during the Obergfell Supreme Court hearing was about enforcement. Neither side could answer. This is why using the Supreme Court to make law is such a bad idea. It solves nothing. Kim Davis, being elected, cannot be fired from her position. She also has a right, guaranteed by the Constitution to freedom of speech, which was turned into freedom of expression. So, now, her first amendment rights are being violated by the same group that sought Constitutional protection.

now, her first amendment rights are being violated by the same group that sought Constitutional protection.

Produce the court order requiring her to not speak on the matter, or any same or similar filing in a court of law by people who oppose her lawlessness and anarchy. What if anything has Davis alleged in this respect, or is this simply yet another vacuous claim by the right designed to smear those who in fact advocate the Constitution. This God-hugging redneck wouldn't know free speech if she heard it because she certainly does not know the Constitution or the oath she swore to uphold it. Davis no doubt can however recite her holy book chapter and verse.

This is why using the Supreme Court to make law is such a bad idea.

That is no one's idea. Read up on it soon plse thx.

In Constitutional matters, SCOTUS says what the Constitution says. There is nothing involved in it that makes a law. The Supreme Court is not a legislature, it is the judicial branch of government. That is something the right has never got about the Constitution. The stuff about SCOTUS writing its own law is entirely rightwing rhetoric spoken because the right cannot defend its string of loses at the Court over many decades to the present.

SCOTUS has no Constitutional means to enforce its legal opinions or its rulings, meaning it relies on good citizenship to honor its decisions as judges/justices. Federal district courts have authority to enforce their opinions, which means the Republican judge in this case could/should have put Davis in the slammer until she agreed to comply with the court's order.

I'd answer, but everything, and I mean everything you wrote there is wrong. And you being a bigot doesn't help.

laugh.png

The post is another unsupported pronouncement and yet another summary declaration of an eccentric personal opinion that is consistently undocumented, without links, absent references, devoid of argument. The hit and run post is unpersuasive, unconvincing, unimpressive, uninformed.

Funny how one set of morals can trump another set of morals. One of the discussions during the Obergfell Supreme Court hearing was about enforcement. Neither side could answer. This is why using the Supreme Court to make law is such a bad idea. It solves nothing. Kim Davis, being elected, cannot be fired from her position. She also has a right, guaranteed by the Constitution to freedom of speech, which was turned into freedom of expression. So, now, her first amendment rights are being violated by the same group that sought Constitutional protection.

Her rights end where they infringe on another's rights.
How? Why are this gay couples' right more important than Ms Davis'? They are infringing on her rights, too.

Ms. Davis is paid to do a job. The people coming in for a marriage license are paying for the license. Her rights are not the issue, the couple's rights are the issue.

She does have the right to refuse to do her job and in normal work settings that means dismissal.

Next ...

Lets take a guess, a lawyer for a defense contractor, hmmmmm what does that say? Work for insurance companies, corporations, plutocrats, etc. also? Why is it that I would pity the poor person that got you for a criminal defense attorney? You know nothing about "country folk" and rednecks can come in expensive suits and fancy shoes also. That woman has absolutely zero rights to impose her religious, stupid as they may be, beliefs on other people, none, nada, zip, zero. Nobody is making her marry the people, nobody is making her attend their wedding, all she has to do is follow the law of the land. It has nothing to do with religion. America was founded as and still is a secular nation, regardless of all the dominionist, theocratic, right wing lies and propaganda. I doubt any of us here and especially the right wing is without sin, if you believe in that sin stuff. I haven't seem any right wingers with morals, ethics, humanity, charity, love for mankind, helping the poor etc. Again, the US is a SECULAR nation. Religion is separate from state and I have the right as do all others to not have stupid religious beliefs imposed on me.

The stay ends on August 31. I think the judge is having second thoughts that the good lady is trying to run a long stall...could get into the courts and get bounced about for years. If she doesn't get any traction by the end of the month she is in contempt! And I already have a lot of contempt for her.

Speaking of redneck hell, I am sitting in a Crackerbarrel in the middle of nowheresville, Tennessee, and it felt like the twilight zone walking in. People look so different in certain areas, but they are all still good people, facing the same life struggles as everyone else doing the best they can.

Use if the term redneck, God hugging and all the other juvenile terms and stereotypes to describe people living in rural areas just reflects simple minded, juvenile bigotry or reverse bigotry that is actually deeper or more pervasive than that commonly held by the people that now surround me.

True, people in "leftie" parts of the country pride themselves on being tolerant but look down on country folk. Like the Romans, who considered country-side people as literally "pagan." Actually I came across a same sex couple on another forum who lived in suburban Alabama for 20+ years and were completely accepted, ie: people left them alone. They said the one time they had been harassed was when they took a trip to New York City.

And the whole thing still seems like firm bullying on behalf of the Obama crowd/LGBT mafia, showing their "true colors". Like ruining the business of the bakers in Portland when they could have simply gone to another bakery. That's more like the behavior of a religion punishing heretics than someone actually doing the right thing.

Edited by squarethecircle

Speaking of redneck hell, I am sitting in a Crackerbarrel in the middle of nowheresville, Tennessee, and it felt like the twilight zone walking in. People look so different in certain areas, but they are all still good people, facing the same life struggles as everyone else doing the best they can.

Use if the term redneck, God hugging and all the other juvenile terms and stereotypes to describe people living in rural areas just reflects simple minded, juvenile bigotry or reverse bigotry that is actually deeper or more pervasive than that commonly held by the people that now surround me.

True, people in "leftie" parts of the country pride themselves on being tolerant but look down on country folk. Like the Romans, who considered country-side people as literally "pagan." Actually I came across a same sex couple on another forum who lived in suburban Alabama for 20+ years and were completely accepted, ie: people left them alone. They said the one time they had been harassed was when they took a trip to New York City.

And the whole thing still seems like firm bullying on behalf of the Obama crowd/LGBT mafia, showing their "true colors". Like ruining the business of the bakers in Portland when they could have simply gone to another bakery. That's more like the behavior of a religion punishing heretics than someone actually doing the right thing.

they could simply go to another bakery

That's not a valid defence; it would open the door for every prejudice known to man. There would be a balkanisation of business based on ideologies, religions and personal hangups. Citizens of towns who would otherwise be inter mingling and learning from each other would instead be divided along various lines and ghettoised. It would be a nice place to fester, but not a nice place to live.

T

The county clerk in Kentucky is in violation of the Constitution and the US District Court told her so. The clerk is in defiance of the federal court's order that the clerk honor the oath of office the clerk took to become the clerk In being in violation of the clerk's oath of public office, the clerk is also in violation of the Kentucky constitution.

The Republican appointed federal judge stayed his own order but only while the clerk takes the case to the federal appeals court. The clerk said she consulted God in reaching her decision. God has no authority whatsoever in either the United States or in the state of Kentucky. This is true whether God gets a lawyer or not.

raguelthewatcher.jpg.w180h228.jpg

Raguel, Angel of Justice aka

Askrasiel.

versus 2101779.jpg

The clerk does in fact belong in the slammer for contempt of the Constitution and of the federal court, until she complies with the order. The matter is settled by SCOTUS so the appeal is a distraction only.

The clerk being held in contempt would mean she cannot hold any public office ever again to include the present one. A person held in contempt of a federal court also loses most of his/her Constitutional protections while incarcerated because the act of contempt in itself denies the Constitution. This is a serious constitutional matter so it must be treated as such.

People look so different in certain areas, but they are all still good people, facing the same life struggles as everyone else doing the best they can.

Urban Cowboy zooming in musta had a tough time parking among all the Porsches pickups.

The post could make it sound more like a faithful Bible study group besides. laugh.png

Support their local clerk. clap2.gif

Back in the day when women were women and men were men and the sheep were nervous.

Ignorant of what?

The argument in the article does indeed address the Davis woman and her approach to Christianity and politics.

To use your word and to paraphrase Forrest Gump: Ignorance is as ignorance says.

When I go to a cake shop, the only thing they need to know is what flavour I want. What I plan to do with it is none of their business, just as their religion is none of my business.

Should a Jesus-loving furniture shop refuse to sell me a bed if they suspect I plan to use it for non-Jesus-approved sex?

(BTW, apart from renouncing those who condemned a prostitute, Jesus had nothing to say on the matter of sex)

And wouldn't the NRA and Republican Second Amendment wackos be up in arms if a liberal-minded gun shop refused to sell weapons to a guy who walked in wearing a KKK outfit and had Swastika tattoos? The very same people who defend a cake shop's right to refuse to sell a wedding cake for a same sex wedding?

In the case of a public servant, the case is even stronger for her to stay out of my business and just do her job.

T

There is no stopping this county clerk who is on a self-appointed mission from god so we'll see what happens Thursday now the US District Court has ordered her and her deputy clerks to appear to explain why all of 'em should not be held in contempt of the court. The Constitution actually via the court.

SCOTUS said yesterday to issue the licenses and the 6th US Circuit Court of Appeals had already said to issue the licenses. Now it's back with the US District Court to close this thing out once and for all.

Beginning to look like this case might need a good ol' fashioned hangin' judge.

Kentucky clerk ordered to court after continuing to deny marriage licenses

A federal judge has ordered Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis to appear in his courtroom Thursday and explain why she should not be held in contempt of court, according to Rowan County Attorney Cecil Watkins. All of her deputy clerks are to join her, Watkins said.

Early Tuesday, Davis told two couples who asked for marriage licenses that she would not issue them, despite a federal court injunction ordering her to do so.

In a brief but tense encounter between Davis and a couple dozen marriage equality demonstrators who crowded into her office, the clerk repeatedly said she was not issuing licenses.

"Under whose authority?" someone in the crowd asked Davis.

"God's authority," she responded.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article33039213.html