Massive manhunt on the way for Bangkok bomb suspect

webfact

I can't make out a damn thing about his features looking at that blurry video…do some of you have the HD version?

BBC has (not particularly HD) front and side shots but you can make out the lean face and sharpish jaw line. These pics/videos in the press are obviously what the police are willing to hand out. They are likely in possession of better quality.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't make out a damn thing about his features looking at that blurry video…do some of you have the HD version?

BBC has (not particularly HD) front and side shots but you can make out the lean face and sharpish jaw line. These pics/videos in the press are obviously what the police are willing to hand out. They are likely in possession of better quality.

Unlikely, police (generally speaking sans corruption) are either willing to hand out photos or not hand out photos.... but don't generally distinguish between quality of the picture when handing them out.... in fact it would be self defeating if they are looking for the public to help in tracking the perpetrator.

It could be the pictures were just "purchased".

If they do distinguish in quality it is more likely cherry picking a few photos - the clearest, the one that shows behavioural cues etc. In otherwards - if they are going to cherry pick the pictures they are going to pick them to give the best chance of getting the public to help....

Edited by bkkcanuck8

What about his movements after fleeing the scene? He got a motorcycle taxi correct? Surely that taxi will remember taking that guy now. Where to? What language did he speak in? If in Thai was it as a second language?

All stuff I hope that has been done/is being done as we speak.

Unlikely, police (generally speaking sans corruption) are either willing to hand out photos or not hand out photos.... but don't generally distinguish between quality of the picture when handing them out.... in fact it would be self defeating if they are looking for the public to help in tracking the perpetrator.

It could be the pictures were just "purchased".

I agree they would hand out what they could to get public help. But they would keep some "clinchers" to themselves. E.g., if they had one of the perp carrying a can of Diet Coke or smoking Esses they might suppress them to get him not to kick the habit.

What about his movements after fleeing the scene? He got a motorcycle taxi correct? Surely that taxi will remember taking that guy now. Where to? What language did he speak in? If in Thai was it as a second language?

You've got to be kidding. For a major job like this where the bomb was to go off minutes after it was set down, he wasn't going to rely on Grabtaxi. He had secure transport arranged.

And it's not clear they have CCTV coverage of the getaway. This was a highly planned op. Perps knew where there was coverage and where it was dark.

The Police claim that the taxi bike driver that took this guy came forward and stated he had dropped the guy in the front of Silom Soi 9 and he saw him start walking inside the soi... that was stated in "The Nation" news paper just a couple of hours ago...

I watched the video again. I don't think one can conclude anything about yellow shirt's ethnicity by just looking at him. Sure he could be Western or Arab. But he could very well be Thai too. His build is slight and his mildly western features are not uncommon amongst Thais. But to my mind here's the clincher. His buddy red shirt is pretty definitely Thai. So I would say both are.

The Thais seem to be all over the map on this. I'm pretty sure Thai news reports Tues quoted the national police chief as saying the suspect was likely Thai.

But in the BBC news report, the Thai government spokesman is quoted as saying the suspect probably is NOT Thai...

Authorities were "quite close" to identifying the suspect, Thai government spokesman Maj Gen Weerachon Sukhontapatipak told the BBC, but other leads were also being pursued.

He said no motive was being ruled out, but that the bomber did not appear to be Thai and the character of the bombing was "quite different" from previous bombings by southern Thai insurgents.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33969621

You've got to be kidding. For a major job like this where the bomb was to go off minutes after it was set down, he wasn't going to rely on Grabtaxi. He had secure transport arranged.

And it's not clear they have CCTV coverage of the getaway. This was a highly planned op. Perps knew where there was coverage and where it was dark.

He was seen sitting on a bench inside the shrine compound with a backpack, and then placing the bag under the bench before leaving. He then caught a taxi motorcycle at nearby Soi Mahatlek Luang.

That has been reported by a few news sources including the bangkok post. He left a trail here.

Just like the Boston bombers. Not experts by any stretch of the imagination.

Get a clearer picture of his T-shirt. That is yellow and seems to have some fairly unique graphics on it. somebody may remember the kid visiting or living in their condo. Also, of course check all the CCTVs in and around the area and anywhere else. Tedious task but the bright yellow shirt should be visible on some camera somewhere.

He was seen sitting on a bench inside the shrine compound with a backpack, and then placing the bag under the bench before leaving. He then caught a taxi motorcycle at nearby Soi Mahatlek Luang.

That has been reported by a few news sources including the bangkok post. He left a trail here.

Just like the Boston bombers. Not experts by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't seen those reports and I guess they'll be confirmed only after they get the guys. But if it's true and they were on their own without being part of a movement and without much planning, then that's a relief. The attacks should end pretty soon then when it gets too hot for them to keep operating because obviously they don't want to die for whatever their cause is.

Next few days will tell.

Don't quit the part time FBI job .. looks like he got a taxi bike back to Silom.

Don't quit the part time FBI job .. looks like he got a taxi bike back to Silom.

You think that's likely seriously? Their planning was detailed enough that red went in first to secure a spot on the bench in order to give it up to yellow so the latter could naturally unload his backpack like a guy laying down for a breather without drawing attention.

The bomb timer's for a minute after which they know all hell will break loose and who knows exactly what will be moving and what won't. I would think they would plan for a surefire ride to get the hell out of the vicinity.

If the op was highly planned (maybe it wasn't I dunno) then the yellow passenger hailing a bike to Silom 9 could be a decoy.

Why? Because they would surely be aware of CCTV coverage of the shrine (heck, if they weren't then I am wrong on all of it and it doesn't matter because they're fools and will be caught soon). So, assuming they aren't morons they knew a search would be on in hours for a yellow and red shirt leaving the area. So, just get a buddy dressed identically to hop on a bike and head off in an opposite direction and disappear.

Awright, mebbe I am getting carried away. But leaving the getaway from where he just slaughtered 20 people to finding a motosai and giving him an address seems strange.

One more thing, the perps one in yellow and one in red (which indicates a sense of humor if nothing else) surely had on underneath the most nondescript white shirts you can think of. I'll wager they ducked into a restroom or small soi when hell had broken loose and got rid of their colors.

Edited by The Dancer

So many arm-chair experts. I prefer to let the Thai authorities and other agencies handle this, minus my Two-Satangs worth of nothing.

So what are you doing here reading a discussion forum ?

One thing I can't seem to understand about this despicable act. If no group claims to have done it, (as none have yet I believe), how does it further anyone's cause?

What is the point if no one knows why it was done? Pointless waste of life for nothing?

You think that's likely seriously? Their planning was detailed enough that red went in first to secure a spot on the bench in order to give it up to yellow so the latter could naturally unload his backpack like a guy laying down for a breather without drawing attention.

The bomb timer's for a minute after which they know all hell will break loose and who knows exactly what will be moving and what won't. I would think they would plan for a surefire ride to get the hell out of the vicinity.

If the op was highly planned (maybe it wasn't I dunno) then the yellow passenger hailing a bike to Silom 9 could be a decoy.

Why? Because they would surely be aware of CCTV coverage of the shrine (heck, if they weren't then I am wrong on all of it and it doesn't matter because they're fools and will be caught soon). So, assuming they aren't morons they knew a search would be on in hours for a yellow and red shirt leaving the area. So, just get a buddy dressed identically to hop on a bike and head off in an opposite direction and disappear.

Awright, mebbe I am getting carried away. But leaving the getaway from where he just slaughtered 20 people to finding a motosai and giving him an address seems strange.

One more thing, the perps one in yellow and one in red (which indicates a sense of humor if nothing else) surely had on underneath the most nondescript white shirts you can think of. I'll wager they ducked into a restroom or small soi when hell had broken loose and got rid of their colors.

Update: I just saw an extended footage. Yellow leaves his backpack but has a separate blue bag which he takes with him.

Conjecture: That's where the yellow and red shirts (and wigs, etc.?) are going to be stuffed before the getaway. So yellow shirt with black backpack transforms into white (guess) shirt with blue handbag. And red? Who knows.

Edited by The Dancer

One thing I can't seem to understand about this despicable act. If no group claims to have done it, (as none have yet I believe), how does it further anyone's cause?

What is the point if no one knows why it was done? Pointless waste of life for nothing?

Exactly. I was wondering that too. My guess is credible claims have probably come already to the authorities but they ain't telling because they might be explosive (no pun intended).

If this was just a couple of crazy kids then it should blow over soon. But if it is the start of some kind of resistance to the junta, then the playbook (Palestine, Iraq, etc., etc.) says that next steps would be more bombings (show of strength/impunity) and targeted assassinations/hostage taking (terrify the rulers).

I would guess that claims of responsibility (if they did come in) were accompanied by such threats which, of course, the junta won't be talking about.

Let's see. It's too much of a coincidence to happen right after Bike for Mom and in the week that the controversial draft charter is to be unveiled.

Interesting times. The violence is terribly sad though.

Edited by The Dancer

Police from nation multimedia said the yellow shirt man might wear a wig and put make up on his face...

I can imagine also, may be his blue plastic bag was to allow him to

take off his wig, and take off make up, and take off his yellow shirt to put a new one !!!

I still hope they will catch the monster quickly.

Edited by thooktong

Or Perhaps it is known, just not

made public ,after all as you say who benifits from it being publically announced.

rijit

If anything the suspect looks Israeli. Pipe bombs like this are very much a part of the continuing problems in the middle east, everyone uses them, but you can thank the good old IRA for designing them and training others to build them.

OMG Israeli now? Is there some reason Israel wants to bomb Bkk?

The bomber was seen using his phone just after leaving the bag.... I would think he used a phone to detonate it and all the new registry requirements for phones so they could not be used for that will be shown to be an utter failure and not really the real reason for the registration. (You can still roam pre-pay phones from other countries - even if you were to have a secure net around all phones in Thailand).

I have no idea who is behind this and would think nobody else does either yet but that won't stop speculation and ill considered comments from officialdom and some posters too.

My concern is that officials sound off far too definitively at times with little or no evidence or justification and then when things start to unravel face kicks in leaving the choice between admitting getting it wrong and losing face or making the facts etc fit the desired result.

A backpack bomb causing this much damage indicates military grade explosives which indicates possible new entrants in the Thai terrorist arena.

The US and its agents...

Utter Rubbish,a warning if they buy Chinese Submarine, Go bash the Yanks in some other forum, Genuis.

Like the US doesn't sponsor terrorism worldwide... HELLO welcome to the real word.. Genuis.

Genuis....lol..l There's education for you...and he expects us to take him seriously ?????

Oh i dont know

the CIA trained one of the most famous terrorists in the the world

and although not specifically labelled terrorists per se one could mention relationships with the Taliban - pipelines/ Texas BBQ etc

And finally one could explore the reationships and sponsorship with the provsional IRA

i am sure there are others

But i am now i will be accused of being Anti-American, but fact is the US has been involved with many terrorist organisations when it suited them, but of course they would have been labelled " freedom fighters"

But hey if you buy into all the propaganda and BS as an educated person with an open mind who am i to criticise someone who follows the partyline so blindly ?

Edited by Soutpeel

Some of you guys are really slow to think today , is it really so hard to understand ? The guy just looked like the one in the video , he was nowwhere near the shrine. Since there is a manhunt for a young guy wearing a yellow shirt he went to the police.

Absolutely correct. This guy is not the perp.

It says in his post that he was teaching when it happened. Presumably in a school or language center with Thai staff and in front of students.

He can easily account for his whereabouts at the time some other guy in a yellow shirt was planting a bomb at the Erawan shrine.

If someone showed me a picture of myself circulating on Facebook / social media accusing me of this, and I wasn't responsible and could prove it, I would have gone to the cops also.

attachicon.gifsunnyburns.jpg

Are you nuts going to the police here when you know they need a goat to through to the wolves. I would be shitting my self and thinking of my best way to get my self as I make my way to the Embassy first to give a full statement and want a whiteness with me at all times when interviewed by Thai Bib.

I would also try to ensure that the interview was done at the Embassy.

Edited by a99az

If the goal is to destabilize the economy and that works ... it weakens the current forces in power and that could serve the purpose of whatever group is behind this for whatever their potential next move is. As credit hasn't been claimed, by now it is fair to assume this group feels their tactics are better served by it remaining a mystery. Certainly the public terror is enhanced by their being numerous possibilities.

Edited by Jingthing

If the goal is to destabilize the economy and that works ... it weakens the current forces in power and that could serve the purpose of whatever group is behind this for whatever their potential next move is. As credit hasn't been claimed, by now it is fair to assume this group feels their tactics are better served by it remaining a mystery. Certainly the public terror is enhanced by their being numerous possibilities.

Or if the goal is to remain in power i.e. not have elections yet in 2016 because the country is not ready for that.

I have no idea who is behind this and would think nobody else does either yet but that won't stop speculation and ill considered comments from officialdom and some posters too.

My concern is that officials sound off far too definitively at times with little or no evidence or justification and then when things start to unravel face kicks in leaving the choice between admitting getting it wrong and losing face or making the facts etc fit the desired result.

Clearly the most accurate and truest comment made in 11 pages of comments. The last paragraph sums up Thai government mentality in a nutshell.

I don't see why Red shirts would do something that would sign their political death warrant, unless they're ready to go to civil war. An angry fanatic individual perhaps.

I wouldn't be surprised we have a new culprit every 2 days.

First the Red Shirts would not admit it. But they would tell the military did it, or they tell under Thaksin everything was peaceful and good economic...look now, economic bad, dangerous, no tourists.

Or as you tell an angry fanatic individual or a small militant group without the agreement of the leader in Dubai.

I think that you are badly in need of some mental treatment, please do not delay as you are getting blatantly sicker by the day