Hunt for Ratchaprasong bomber is progressing

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think it is in bad taste to reopen that site so soon. I'm not saying close it forever, but I would have thought a reasonable time period to show RESPECT for the dead would be in order. Yes, I know, this is Asia. Also it seems to be a way to cover up the crisis that has been opened up by this terror event while the nation is still really in the middle of it as we don't know which force is behind it and whether their attacks are over. In other words ... SUPERFICIAL.

personally i dont think thailand should kowtow to your definition of respect for the dead or your notion of a reasonable time period

the dead are dead, perhaps the living might appreciate the opportunity to pay their respects at the scene.

Personally, I think it is in bad taste to reopen that site so soon. I'm not saying close it forever, but I would have thought a reasonable time period to show RESPECT for the dead would be in order. Yes, I know, this is Asia. Also it seems to be a way to cover up the crisis that has been opened up by this terror event while the nation is still really in the middle of it as we don't know which force is behind it and whether their attacks are over. In other words ... SUPERFICIAL.

personally i dont think thailand should kowtow to your definition of respect for the dead or your notion of a reasonable time period

the dead are dead, perhaps the living might appreciate the opportunity to pay their respects at the scene.

That's an interesting point. It's easy to forget that western logic doesn't always apply here.

Makes me wonder if the motivation for this attack might also defy western logic.

Is any effort being made to locate the two people who gave up their seats for the suspect? A tad suspicious in that they just stood there rather than moving on. Even if not involved, one would think they might have noticed what he looked like. Were those two injured in explosion? Are police checking any cel phones left or dropped at scene for chance those injured or killed might have taken photo of suspect before explosion? The investigation I hope is more comprehensive than the dribbles that are coming from RTP releases. Idea of drag net is to pull group in, they seem to be using fishing pole by zooming in on this one guy.

A good thing that the millions and millions of Bahts spent on the CCTV cameras by the government of Bangkok are yielding images worthy of the 70s (XX century) thus debunking the rumor that they were dummy cameras. whistling.gif

Why not publicly offer a reward for information leading to the arrest of the bomber?

Maybe the RTP does not want to disburse any funds that can be made available for other "purposes". Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge!

They offered already a million Baht for info leading to him.

Is any effort being made to locate the two people who gave up their seats for the suspect? A tad suspicious in that they just stood there rather than moving on. Even if not involved, one would think they might have noticed what he looked like. Were those two injured in explosion? Are police checking any cel phones left or dropped at scene for chance those injured or killed might have taken photo of suspect before explosion? The investigation I hope is more comprehensive than the dribbles that are coming from RTP releases. Idea of drag net is to pull group in, they seem to be using fishing pole by zooming in on this one guy.

Despite the RTP's understandably poor track record, I would fully expect all these leads are being aggressively followed. Unless this was an inside job of the police/army which personally i very much doubt, then I presume they are especially keen to track down the perpetrators of this atrocity.

Ok though I wasn't there so can't say with certainty but C-4 smells differently than TNT after exploding. And judging from reports of ball bearings used in device, I would venture a guess that this sounds like ISIS type attack after all they did say they would attack targets of countries who are fighting them at tourist spots the world over. Maybe Thailand should seek help from the FBI based at US embassy couldn't hurt.

To all Thai forensic experts and police spokesmen.

Just as a point of interest 6 mm and 8 mm ball bearing are as common as dirt and only a certifiable idiot would make the conclusion that the bombs were from the same stable owing to the presence of similar sized fragmentation fill. Nice one Einstein.

A good thing that the millions and millions of Bahts spent on the CCTV cameras by the government of Bangkok are yielding images worthy of the 70s (XX century) thus debunking the rumor that they were dummy cameras. whistling.gif

Why not publicly offer a reward for information leading to the arrest of the bomber?

Maybe the RTP does not want to disburse any funds that can be made available for other "purposes". Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge!

Problem is the current administration hasn't pegged the ฿ to anything. Who knows what a million baht is worth next week?

There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart, lending assistance to the crime.

As chilling a thought as I have heard emanating from a high ranking Thai official in many a year. In effect, you are not Thai if you do not think in the same way as I command you to think and you will be lumped into the same group as international terrorists. The heart of fascist ideology is what is being exposed here.

Problem is the current administration hasn't pegged the ฿ to anything. Who knows what a million baht is worth next week?

LMAO !

We need to see the CCTV images from the pier , according to the police chief they had many cameras there so why not release them ? Of course in the wstern world the police would not release CCTV images to the public unless it was necessary but TIT so I expect someone to leak it to the media.

"

' Somyot said, adding, “Foreigners couldn’t commit this act alone. There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart, lending assistance to the crime.”'

Foreigners couldn’t commit this act alone. Yes they could!

There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart. Does that mean they were Red shirts?

He has a Muslim insurgency down south. I think that is the type of Thais he is meaning.

"

' Somyot said, adding, “Foreigners couldn’t commit this act alone. There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart, lending assistance to the crime.”'

There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart. Does that mean they were Red shirts?

Foreigners could certainly assemble and place the bomb, but acquiring the ingredients to make the bomb would need local help. For example, if I walked into my local shop and asked for 1kg each of 6mm and 8mm ball bearings, I'd get a strange look. If I added, oh and a few kilos of C4, then I'd being enjoying the hospitality of my local police station.

Immigration and customs are a very leaky sieve in Thailand. Stuff is only caught at customs in Thailand after a tip off

They are so bent it is incredible. Anything can be shipped inside a shipment in Thailand. With enough will, anything can be smuggled into Thailand so easily. Leaky border posts, coastline and shipping. Hell, they can't even stop people being smuggled.

U reckon they could find a few kilos on non description substance in a large box from anywhere in the world via truck, or boat.

Getting this stuff into thailand if u want is a breeze. The system is essentially corrupt. They have millions of yabah pills moving every day across the border.

[snip]

So what if he is a foreigner and got rid of his clothes but not the shoes? And then he went to the airport? If he was in disguise he could be found on CCTV footage at the airport with the same shoes, The shoes stands out enough to maybe look for them , but when you look at how well planned this was you would think he also got rid of the shoes somewhere .

I completely understand that they could also be ditched. But the shirt and other stuff was just take it off and he doesn't look the same. He certainly doesn't seem to be carrying shoes or flip flops his blue bag, so ditch everything and there's still maybe some guy going somewhere with red and black sneakers. Get that out there as soon as possible, and maybe someone then remembers a guy with red and black shoes the night of, particularly brand new red and black shoes.

Something not yet discussed is though he showed up all dressed up, where might he have changed? Surely didn't leave his apartment, hotel, or friend's house in that set of clothes, then hail a tuk-tuk.

They are pulling all the stops on this one. Divers will be sent to find evidence in a fast flowing murky river 48 hours after the event. Why does it take so long ( yes I know we live in Thailand, difficult to arrange, someone took my goggles ).

The current Bangkok Governor has spent many millions of Baht installing CCTV equipment all over the city - and the Ratchaprasong intersection must have one of the heaviest population of these cameras, yet the best image they can provide is so grainy as to be virtually useless. The Bangkok Post this morning shows images of 2 additional "suspects" but they are unrecognisable even as human beings, let alone identifiable individuals - totally blurred and out of focus, quite useless for identification purposes.

Yet more money wasted on gimmicks and "technology".

Patrick

The current Bangkok Governor has spent many millions of Baht installing CCTV equipment all over the city - and the Ratchaprasong intersection must have one of the heaviest population of these cameras, yet the best image they can provide is so grainy as to be virtually useless. The Bangkok Post this morning shows images of 2 additional "suspects" but they are unrecognisable even as human beings, let alone identifiable individuals - totally blurred and out of focus, quite useless for identification purposes.
Yet more money wasted on gimmicks and "technology".
Patrick

The technology doesn't seem as problematic as the practice of zooming in on a screen displaying the video and using that view. Even worse is some media sources then zoom in on the zoom in. I've seen several tv broadcasts (US) zoom in so the view is only the guy in the yellow shirt. Which is as blurry as having someone finger paint the scene.

Check out the alternative view from a different camera in the post below, which is not zoomed in. View it full screen. There's a lot of detail available particularly near the camera. Look how recognizable the faces are of the people who walk between the camera and the raised steps. The backpack guy walked right through there and yet this video cuts out before that happens. This video should be released not zoomed, including the point he walks left to right. Maybe he's close enough that it is just top of his head, but when he gets up and heads toward the camera it should be much clearer that the released view.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/849147-powerful-bomb-explode-near-rajprasong-intersection-wounding-20-people/?p=9754504

[snip]

So what if he is a foreigner and got rid of his clothes but not the shoes? And then he went to the airport? If he was in disguise he could be found on CCTV footage at the airport with the same shoes, The shoes stands out enough to maybe look for them , but when you look at how well planned this was you would think he also got rid of the shoes somewhere .

I completely understand that they could also be ditched. But the shirt and other stuff was just take it off and he doesn't look the same. He certainly doesn't seem to be carrying shoes or flip flops his blue bag, so ditch everything and there's still maybe some guy going somewhere with red and black sneakers. Get that out there as soon as possible, and maybe someone then remembers a guy with red and black shoes the night of, particularly brand new red and black shoes.

Something not yet discussed is though he showed up all dressed up, where might he have changed? Surely didn't leave his apartment, hotel, or friend's house in that set of clothes, then hail a tuk-tuk.

In Lumpini Park ? It's a big park and easy to sneak behind some bushes. No cameras there so he probably ditched the clothes somewhere inside the park , he probably started his "mission" there in the first place. So we need CCTV from that area , very important.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not alter font size in quoted replies.

"

Foreigners could certainly assemble and place the bomb, but acquiring the ingredients to make the bomb would need local help. For example, if I walked into my local shop and asked for 1kg each of 6mm and 8mm ball bearings, I'd get a strange look. If I added, oh and a few kilos of C4, then I'd being enjoying the hospitality of my local police station.

Immigration and customs are a very leaky sieve in Thailand. Stuff is only caught at customs in Thailand after a tip off

They are so bent it is incredible. Anything can be shipped inside a shipment in Thailand. With enough will, anything can be smuggled into Thailand so easily. Leaky border posts, coastline and shipping. Hell, they can't even stop people being smuggled.

U reckon they could find a few kilos on non description substance in a large box from anywhere in the world via truck, or boat.

Getting this stuff into thailand if u want is a breeze. The system is essentially corrupt. They have millions of yabah pills moving every day across the border.

Yep, you are right.

If you've ever driven a car across the border from Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar or Malaysia, you'll know very well that with few exceptions, no inspections are made of vehicles crossing back, especially not Thai registered vehicles. Any inspections that are made are very cursory so unless you're a complete novice, stashing away any restricted items is simply a matter of placing them under a seat, inside a suitcase or similar.

I just drove back from Cambodia via the Poipet/Aran crossing and no one searched my vehicle upon re-entering. Not that I had anything to hide of course. But in other countries customs usually makes some kind of inspection of the vehicle. OK, the Burmese, Cambodians and Laotians generally don't either, except some very minor, random, very cursory attempts at the Friendship Bridge near Vientiane. Vietnam is however quite strict, although Thais won't have much opportunity to find out because Thai cars aren't allowed to enter Vietnam.