What would be the burden on my wife if I died here?!?

craigp

Hi TV,

Sorry for the morbid question....

But if a foreigner dies in Thailand, what financial burden would be put on my wife?

What if my family wanted my body returned to my native country?

What kind of funerals do they have in Thailand and how much do they cost?

Would my wife get automatic access to the money in my bank and all my assets in Thailand?

If I wanted my money split between my Thai wife and native family members do I just make a normal will in Thailand and is it easily done?

I’ve not seen this topic in TV before and I don’t really know what forum to post it in.

Any information about this subject will be appreciated.

Thank you! wai2.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can answer one part for you. The repatriation of a body from Thailand is possible, but it is going to cost a considerable sum of money.

You will need someone to handle the body at this end and ensure it is embalmed to the necessary standard and is placed in an approved container and it is accompanied by the relevant documents during transport.

You will need to pay for air freight, and then have a funeral director or repatriation agent collect the body from the airport for you.

It's a costly business. On the other hand, if you don't mind being cremated then you can get cremated here and in most circumstances you can ship the cremated remains back.

This is an immensely cheaper option. If it is wanted there can be a memorial service in your home country, which is the same as a funeral, but without the coffin.

If you are worried about being a burden, consider a cremation in Thailand.

If, of course, you are a Muslim or a Jew then my advice is more than likely irrelevant to you.

I can answer one part for you. The repatriation of a body from Thailand is possible, but it is going to cost a considerable sum of money.

You will need someone to handle the body at this end and ensure it is embalmed to the necessary standard and is placed in an approved container and it is accompanied by the relevant documents during transport.

You will need to pay for air freight, and then have a funeral director or repatriation agent collect the body from the airport for you.

It's a costly business. On the other hand, if you don't mind being cremated then you can get cremated here and in most circumstances you can ship the cremated remains back.

This is an immensely cheaper option. If it is wanted there can be a memorial service in your home country, which is the same as a funeral, but without the coffin.

If you are worried about being a burden, consider a cremation in Thailand.

If, of course, you are a Muslim or a Jew then my advice is more than likely irrelevant to you.

Thanks for your imput.

Yes, flying my body back isn't an option.

If you trust your wife enough then go to your bank with her ( and passport and her ID card) and change your bank accounts to be in joint names. I suspect that if they are in your name only the bank would refuse your wife access to the money without some sort of court order which might be delayed if you have not made a will.

It is possible the bank will will insist on opening a new account in joint names rather than change your account.but it won't hurt to ask.

It would be better for you to make two wills. One for the disposal of your goods here, and the the other one for the disposal of your goods in your home country.

I have written a folder out for my wife with all details in it.

eg

Full name, place/date of birth, parents names place of birth, my National insurance number (I'm English), previous addresses in England. family and friends contact names,addresses, email and phone numbers, pension company adress, UK bank account details, British Embassy details etc. Your widow (!) will need to take your arrival card and copy of passport to immigration. The hospital might not release your body without a letter from your embassy and the temple might not cremate you without such letter. She will need multiple copies of your death certificate. And official translations for your home country's officials. Where can she get the certificate translated locally? Find out and put it in the folder. There are so many details, I am constantly updating the folder for her. I went through the folder with her, she didn't like to think about it, but knew it was necessary. Is she entitled to a widow's pension from your company? Find out and draft a letter to them that she only has to date and sign. Which account will the widow's pension be paid into? And do revise your will every few years, things change.

Let's hope it won't be needed for decades yet. But it might be.

If you trust your wife enough then go to your bank with her ( and passport and her ID card) and change your bank accounts to be in joint names. I suspect that if they are in your name only the bank would refuse your wife access to the money without some sort of court order which might be delayed if you have not made a will.

It is possible the bank will will insist on opening a new account in joint names rather than change your account.but it won't hurt to ask.

It would be better for you to make two wills. One for the disposal of your goods here, and the the other one for the disposal of your goods in your home country.

eg

Full name, place/date of birth, parents names place of birth, my National insurance number (I'm English), previous addresses in England. family and friends contact names,addresses, email and phone numbers, pension company adress, UK bank account details, British Embassy details etc. Your widow (!) will need to take your arrival card and copy of passport to immigration. The hospital might not release your body without a letter from your embassy and the temple might not cremate you without such letter. She will need multiple copies of your death certificate. And official translations for your home country's officials. Where can she get the certificate translated locally? Find out and put it in the folder. There are so many details, I am constantly updating the folder for her. I went through the folder with her, she didn't like to think about it, but knew it was necessary. Is she entitled to a widow's pension from your company? Find out and draft a letter to them that she only has to date and sign. Which account will the widow's pension be paid into? And do revise your will every few years, things change.

Great info, thanks.

But I can't use a joint account because I think it will mess things up for my future marriage extensions. (The account has to be in my name only as far as I'm aware)

Great info, thanks.

But I can't use a joint account because I think it will mess things up for my future marriage extensions. (The account has to be in my name only as far as I'm aware)

You can also name a beneficiary, give a power of attorney etc. In any case, with will or even without, if you don't have kids, siblings or debt your wife is the first natural heir. She would get the money and no court is necessary.

Great info, thanks.

You can also name a beneficiary, give a power of attorney etc. In any case, with will or even without, if you don't have kids, siblings or debt your wife is the first natural heir. She would get the money and no court is necessary.

Thanks Paz,

I just don't know anything about the procedure in Thailand.

So, without any 'Will' my wife can access my funds in my Thai bank account should something happen to me.

That's the most important thing really.

I thought that would be the case, but I shouldn't assume anything.

TIT.

eg

Great info, thanks.

Thanks for daring to ask these questions. Good information as a result.

Just a comment though. I only have one Thai bank account and that is in joint names with my wife _ in reality its with her maiden name. This has never been an issue with Immigration in my marriage visa extensions. Indeed it has never even been commented upon.

eg

Great info, thanks.

Thanks for daring to ask these questions. Good information as a result.

Just a comment though. I only have one Thai bank account and that is in joint names with my wife _ in reality its with her maiden name. This has never been an issue with Immigration in my marriage visa extensions. Indeed it has never even been commented upon.

Fair enough!

That's good and thanks for your comment.

I'm fairly sure I've read that for extensions based on marriage the bank account had to be in the husband's name only.

Obviously not then. . .

Hopefully one of the wonderful mods will come along and clarify it.

If you have a joint account, an account in joint names then that will be problematic for Immigration purposes, at least in Chiang Mai.

Perhaps a better way is to leave the account in a single name but to have your wife as a signatory on the account. Be aware however that banks are required to freeze the accounts of people who die, until probate has been approved.

When my son came to visit me, we went to Bangkok Bank to get him on my bank account, in case that I die here. They did require that I open a new account, but only for the Baht account, not for the FCD account, for some reason. The important thing to remember is have make sure they make it an "and / or" account, so money can be taken out with just person being there. Check very carefully that they follow this request, or in my case, with my son back in the states, I could not get into my own money. Now if I die, he can come here and remove all of the money in the account. I also had an extra ATM card made for him in case he needs to empty the account that way. My daughter can convert the cash from my FCD to my baht account, making it very easy for my son to clear the account. When you open the new account, remember that you will also have to setup online banking all over again, and you will need both signatures to do this. Good luck. It takes patience.....

Great info, thanks.

Note - a Power of Attorney ceases on death.

If there is 800k in a sole bank account you will need probate (if there is a Will) or a court order if the person dies intestate.

OP - at the end of the day it is what you want that matters. Liaise with your family about your disposal - I have cleared it with my family that certainly don't want repatriation , or ashes sent back. Then make a Will for assets in your home country and a Thai Will for assets in Thailand. In my case I use the income method for extensions so arguably I do not need a Thai Will.

Your wife will have to go to probate and get court orders to release your bank account and transfer your possessions.

A Thai will is a good start to avoid any ambiguity....

But a lawyer and court hearing is essential ,so she needs access to sufficient funds for that.

A foreigner who does not die in hospital will be required to have a post-mortem I believe, and the death reported to their embassy.

Giving Power of Attorney to a trustworthy friend 'only in the event of your death' (or incapacitating medical condition), is another option.

A funeral is quite reasonable, perhaps 10,000 baht Thai style, but the 'party' costs can be substantial.

Edited by jacko45k

If you have a joint account, an account in joint names then that will be problematic for Immigration purposes, at least in Chiang Mai.

Perhaps a better way is to leave the account in a single name but to have your wife as a signatory on the account. Be aware however that banks are required to freeze the accounts of people who die, until probate has been approved.

'Ask the Lawyer' suggests otherwise about joint accounts - and yes, they do pass by succession.

However, TIT and each bank/bank official is capable of a different remains.

The fact remains that a wife on a joint account is entitled to those funds and can access them at will. No need to advise the bank of the death.

eg

Excellent advice and some good practical actions.

You also need to be aware that a widow will need to deal with the responses she gets from UK institutions(and also maybe follow up where there is no response).

I haven't met a Thai yet who is capable of doing this - even less so in dealing at the telephone.

My point is that a widow will need someone to turn to for help in the 'follow on' matters. Having a capable Farang friend who is also aware of your plans is useful.

At least after April next year you can strike DWP off the list of contact points and the bereavement payment claim can be binned.

'Ask the Lawyer' suggests otherwise about joint accounts - and yes, they do pass by succession.

The fact remains that a wife on a joint account is entitled to those funds and can access them at will. No need to advise the bank of the death.

Embassies need to be notified of a death in order to have the body released from a hospital (if there) and for the body to be cremated. Some embassies also ask for all bank books to be given to them, to prevent unlawful transactions. Should be no problems for joint accounts, but where the wife is considering withdrawal from husbands sole account using his ATM and PIN code (as many do) this would be a problem. Best if there are 2 accounts in sole name - give the embassy one book to keep them quiet!

Don't know what country you are from.

Widows from German pensioners can get half of his pensions when he's dead.

European heritage laws changed on August 17, 2015. Now Thai heritage laws will apply if you made Thailand your residence. German embassy's advice is to contact a lawyer. Guess this would be a good advice for all Europeans in a situation similar to yours.

Almost 2 years ago I had a stroke. Not a serious one, but serious enough to make me thing about things. Once I was able to move around again, I worked with my wife to create a special "Death File" for both of us. I'm 66, she's 56, and let's be honest, something could happen to either of us at any time.

This file contains all necessary and pertinent information about me in regards to my Social Security and Veteran's Administration disability funds, with detailed information for her on who to contact, and what help to request in the event of my death.

We have one joint bank account, I have a separate account, and a 3rd account that receives my VA and SS payments which, by US regulations, must be in my name only. We talked to our local bank and they drew up a letter of instruction which stated that all of my funds, from both my accounts, would be placed in the joint account in the event of my death. The bank did it in both Thai and English, signed by us both, and then notarized. One copy is in the "Death File", the bank has a copy for their records. And, while I'm "qualified" to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery, I told my wife that I'm find with being disposed of, by whatever means, here in Thailand. When she was Buddhist, that meant cremation. Now that she's gone Christian, that means a church service and burial. I won't care. I'll be dead, so it won't matter one bit to me. lol

But also in that file are color copies of ALL insurance policies. Not only those on me, but on her as well. With Thai/English descriptions as to where to take them for payment, and how much the payment is on them. And in the case of both of us going at the same time (car accident, etc), our 32 yr old Thai son also knows about the folder and what to do.

I would suggest that, if you have concerns, you sit down with your wife and do the same. And that you also go to your local bank and work it out with them over any funds in your private account. If not, they'll never see that money.

Good luck

Don't know what country you are from.

Widows from German pensioners can get half of his pensions when he's dead.

European heritage laws changed on August 17, 2015. Now Thai heritage laws will apply if you made Thailand your residence. German embassy's advice is to contact a lawyer. Guess this would be a good advice for all Europeans in a situation similar to yours.

Contacting a lawyer would be good advice, if they didnt charge so much................and they invariably want payment up front which the widow most likely doesn't have.

Almost 2 years ago I had a stroke. Not a serious one, but serious enough to make me thing about things. Once I was able to move around again, I worked with my wife to create a special "Death File" for both of us. I'm 66, she's 56, and let's be honest, something could happen to either of us at any time.

This file contains all necessary and pertinent information about me in regards to my Social Security and Veteran's Administration disability funds, with detailed information for her on who to contact, and what help to request in the event of my death.

We have one joint bank account, I have a separate account, and a 3rd account that receives my VA and SS payments which, by US regulations, must be in my name only. We talked to our local bank and they drew up a letter of instruction which stated that all of my funds, from both my accounts, would be placed in the joint account in the event of my death. The bank did it in both Thai and English, signed by us both, and then notarized. One copy is in the "Death File", the bank has a copy for their records. And, while I'm "qualified" to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery, I told my wife that I'm find with being disposed of, by whatever means, here in Thailand. When she was Buddhist, that meant cremation. Now that she's gone Christian, that means a church service and burial. I won't care. I'll be dead, so it won't matter one bit to me. lol

But also in that file are color copies of ALL insurance policies. Not only those on me, but on her as well. With Thai/English descriptions as to where to take them for payment, and how much the payment is on them. And in the case of both of us going at the same time (car accident, etc), our 32 yr old Thai son also knows about the folder and what to do.

I would suggest that, if you have concerns, you sit down with your wife and do the same. And that you also go to your local bank and work it out with them over any funds in your private account. If not, they'll never see that money.

Good luck

Excellent advice Just1voice.

I doubt that all Thai banks would be as accommodating as yours, and as for trying to sit down and explain everything with ones wife, that is far easier said than done with very many wives. Some Thai women just could not understand what to do. All that would be relevant would be "how much do I get", and that would likely be forgotten within 24 hours. After 5 minutes a Somtam would be on offer and they would be off!

eg

The banks do not include your wife's name to your existing account, they will transfer the money to a new account with both names of you and your wife, but in any event it not really needed to have this done.

In order to get those matters sorted provide a " Last Will and Testament" signed by you and confirmed by a Solicitors office and signed by a Barrister, then go and show those papers in advance to the bank and they will agree to accept it as outlined.

At the end of life the bank will then provide the money to the outlined applicants as stated at the official Last Will and Testament and confirmed by the legal office.

Embassies need to be notified of a death in order to have the body released from a hospital (if there) and for the body to be cremated. Some embassies also ask for all bank books to be given to them, to prevent unlawful transactions. Should be no problems for joint accounts, but where the wife is considering withdrawal from husbands sole account using his ATM and PIN code (as many do) this would be a problem. Best if there are 2 accounts in sole name - give the embassy one book to keep them quiet!

Which leads me to add: a body can only be released to a relative or to another person with written notarized approval. A point for those of us who are not legally married to remember.

eg

Great info, thanks.

I am one of those who trusts my wife, despite being horrendously ripped off by wife no 3 in USA and Israel

I have been very happily married here seven years

My bank accounts and investments outside Thailand are all now in joint names, my wife at present does not really know how to access them, but is definitely entitled to full proceeds on my death

I have internet banking here, and some joint accounts, but also a sole account for the marriage visa seasoning money, and I leave money in there for only the required two months each year

On my death my wife can immediately clear any balances on my sole accounts to hers, prior to notifying the bank, and have suggests she does not advise bank of my death just wait for them to ask

I still have a couple of accounts outside Thailand in my sole name that my wife can also clear on the internet, but do not keep large sums there, but if I was ever wrong on the trust I put in my wife,I could within hours move assets from all joint accounts back to my sole name

YES I TRUST MY WIFE, but also need to be sensible

eg

Great info, thanks.

I am one of those who trusts my wife, despite being horrendously ripped off by wife no 3 in USA and Israel

I have been very happily married here seven years

My bank accounts and investments outside Thailand are all now in joint names, my wife at present does not really know how to access them, but is definitely entitled to full proceeds on my death

I have internet banking here, and some joint accounts, but also a sole account for the marriage visa seasoning money, and I leave money in there for only the required two months each year

On my death my wife can immediately clear any balances on my sole accounts to hers, prior to notifying the bank, and have suggests she does not advise bank of my death just wait for them to ask

I still have a couple of accounts outside Thailand in my sole name that my wife can also clear on the internet, but do not keep large sums there, but if I was ever wrong on the trust I put in my wife,I could within hours move assets from all joint accounts back to my sole name

YES I TRUST MY WIFE, but also need to be sensible

A sound practical approach.

I am arguably more sensible as my access codes are only available after my death.smile.png