ThaiBev consolidates all beers into Chang Classic to shake up market

webfact

When ASEAN comes, people will go for Beerlao, Myanmar beer and then Cambodian beer.

First of all, ASEAN came in 1967 so 48 years ago.

Secondly, beer Lao is easily available at many bars and pubs throughout Thailand as well as supermarkets such as Foodland. Cambodia and Myanmar beer can be found at border markets such as Rong Kluea market in Aranyaprathet and Mae Sot for Cambodian and Myanmar beer respectively.

Basically untrue. It is incredibly difficult to find bars that serve Beer Laos, unless you are in the tourist zones of Bangkok. It is superior beer. Yes, some of the bigger markets that cater to foreigners sell it. But, wait until after the New Years, to see if Thailand abides by the new charter, all eyes will be on Thailand, to see if they can resist cheating, and protecting Chang and Singha.

It isn't that hard to find Beer Lao but the price point puts some people off. Chang was the go to choice for the budget drinker. Low price, big bottles, high alcohol content. I can afford other beer but actually just preferred Chang over the other Thai brands. Beer Lao isn't in most 7/11 that I have noticed so it can not replace Chang easily. So while Beer Lao is available you need some planning if you want to drink it on a regular basis or at home. Outside of Bangkok I can imagine it could be much harder to find.

I think Chang is going to run into problems trying to market this as a premium beer as they have a reputation for being the working man's swill. Who knows? If they have a great marketing team maybe they can convince people that something new has been born. The bright side of this is that I have drank considerably less beer since this has happened.

Have you tried Cheers export? It's sold in all 7/11 outlets and is pretty cheap. You can buy 2 large size cans for less than 80 baht. Only problem is the hangover is more intense.

Also if you can afford it Tiger beer is also sold in most 7/11's. This is a nice malt lager, one to bring out with the lads when your watching the footy.

But downside, the local mom and pop shops only sell the 3 main brands. Leo, Chang and Singha. If this is your only option then Leo is your best choice for a nice malt lager.

It takes a while to wheen yourself off the Chang treakle, but don't get yourself down. Theres options out there, be positive.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any long term resident who is a REAL beer drinker has already made a conscious decision to accept whats on offer here and just get on with it. I drink beer because I like it....it's not a pissing competion, and it's as simple as that. Who really gives a <deleted> that the alcohol content has been reduced ? If I want to get out of my tree then I'll drink a couple of bottles of Lao Khao....and while we're on the subject, anyone who puts ice in beer or cider should be gassed....

Edited by mxyzptlk

When ASEAN comes, people will go for Beerlao, Myanmar beer and then Cambodian beer.

Secondly, beer Lao is easily available at many bars and pubs throughout Thailand as well as supermarkets such as Foodland. Cambodia and Myanmar beer can be found at border markets such as Rong Kluea market in Aranyaprathet and Mae Sot for Cambodian and Myanmar beer respectively.

For the well travlled beer drinker that is great news; for every body else it's <deleted>. Try buying beer laos where I live mate. Your statement about ASEAN is also completely redundant as ir only included the original powerhouses of se asia, not the economic powerhouse it is proposed to be

I don't know where you live but beer Lao can be found without too much difficulty if you look around. Not everywhere but it's more available than I previously expected.

There are now 10 member states in ASEAN the last ones joined in the 90s. I don't know what point you are trying to make with ASEAN but the fact is it's been around for a LONG f cking time. If you don't believe me use Google.

beer Laos (DARK) is excellent but the price in Makro is a little bit salty....Just my opinion of course

Any long term resident who is a REAL beer drinker has already made a conscious decision to accept whats on offer here and just get on with it. I drink beer because I like it....it's not a pissing competion, and it's as simple as that. Who really gives a <deleted> that the alcohol content has been reduced ? If I want to get out of my tree then I'll drink a couple of bottles of Lao Khao....and while we're on the subject, anyone who puts ice in beer or cider should be gassed....

I don't use ice in beer anywhere else in the world. But, the local beers here seem less offensive with ice. Especially if you are drinking Tiger or Chang. I will drink a Singha or Leo without ice. But, Chang is an inferior product no matter what standard you apply. My guess is a combination of low quality hops and barley, and a shortcut in the brewing process.

I don't use ice in beer anywhere else in the world. But, the local beers here seem less offensive with ice. Especially if you are drinking Tiger or Chang. I will drink a Singha or Leo without ice. But, Chang is an inferior product no matter what standard you apply. My guess is a combination of low quality hops and barley, and a shortcut in the brewing process.

I guess you aren't a REAL beer drinker then???

I like the new Chang. Yes, it's more like Heineken but I like Heineken too. I remember visiting the Heineken experience in Amsterdam and as you walk around they have sampling rooms, you get so many tickets and hand one over for a glass. In one of the rooms no one was around so I assumed it was self service so I just helped myself :) When one of the staff eventually walked in he gave me a suspicious look.

For the well travlled beer drinker that is great news; for every body else it's <deleted>. Try buying beer laos where I live mate. Your statement about ASEAN is also completely redundant as ir only included the original powerhouses of se asia, not the economic powerhouse it is proposed to be

I don't know where you live but beer Lao can be found without too much difficulty if you look around. Not everywhere but it's more available than I previously expected.

There are now 10 member states in ASEAN the last ones joined in the 90s. I don't know what point you are trying to make with ASEAN but the fact is it's been around for a LONG f cking time. If you don't believe me use Google.

I don't need to "Google it", I already know enough about it. My point was that you only mentioned the big boys of ASEAN from the start.

I'm sure there will be some numb <deleted> on here soon who thinks budweiser is a good drink

If you are referring to Budweiser Budvar, then I am that numb <deleted>. Not an absolute favorite but, like most Czech beers, very drinkable.

No. I like Budvar also. It was the other stuff I was referring to.

I'm sure there will be some numb <deleted> on here soon who thinks budweiser is a good drink

If you are referring to Budweiser Budvar, then I am that numb <deleted>. Not an absolute favorite but, like most Czech beers, very drinkable.

No. I like Budvar also. It was the other stuff I was referring to.

it's strangle that you would start out by saying that you are a real beer drinker and that you "I drink beer because I like it....it's not a pissing competition" and then provoke a pissing contest over a brand of beer that is not the subject of this thread.

Edited by suzannegoh

I'll miss the Export stuff, the 100% Malt beer. Was refreshing ever now and again. Haven't tried the new stuff yet.

Export was my main drink. To me it tasted more like english beer than anything else.

Murphys Irish Stout 2800 a case from my local providore worth every penny. Now down to my last 6 cases because General P and his conies in all their wisdom have now barred widget cans from the Kingdom. Treating them like gold now... tough times ahead lol bah.gif

Alcohol content is sort of important as none of us was drinking it for it's taste alone. By your logic they should just make it non-alcoholic. If you want to be truthful about their core demographic I would say there beer appealed to chronic alcoholics. So now they are going to try position themselves as a premium beer to be drunk by pretty hiso boys with white skin in discos? They are going to need about 10 new customers like that to replace one hard core chronic drunk like me. I just don't see Chang becoming the new trendy drink for the young and the glamorous, who can't probably drink more than 2 bottles on any given night anyway.

I make that post a bit in jest but close your eyes and imagine a person drinking a bottle of Chang. What did your imagination come up with? I get a picture of some old dude in Pattaya with matching wife beater.

I guess you aren't a REAL beer drinker then???

That is correct. I much prefer great wine, or great tequila. Since great wine is not available here at a reasonable price, and I have to bring my own great tequila, which I cannot find here at any price. I sometimes drink beer. Maybe three times a month. So, no I am definitely not a real beer drinker.

I'll miss the Export stuff, the 100% Malt beer. Was refreshing ever now and again. Haven't tried the new stuff yet.

Export was my main drink. To me it tasted more like english beer than anything else.

Murphys Irish Stout 2800 a case from my local providore worth every penny. Now down to my last 6 cases because General P and his conies in all their wisdom have now barred widget cans from the Kingdom. Treating them like gold now... tough times ahead lol bah.gif

His wisdom is infinite. Best not to question him at all. He answers to no higher authority.

I like the new Chang. Yes, it's more like Heineken but I like Heineken too. I remember visiting the Heineken experience in Amsterdam and as you walk around they have sampling rooms, you get so many tickets and hand one over for a glass. In one of the rooms no one was around so I assumed it was self service so I just helped myself smile.png When one of the staff eventually walked in he gave me a suspicious look.

You know that Heineken is made out of nasty canal water right? If I am wrong and you can drill a well into ground which is under sea level please tell me so. That being said Chang is probably made under the same set of circumstances but with no quality control assurances.

I am curious I can not find anything about where Heineken sources their water from. Normally a power house brewery would brag about this sort of thing. Does anybody actually know where their water comes from?

Glad I don't like Chang. Sounds more like a desperate cost-cutting move. It cost money to diversify; you save money when you consolidate. Shake up the market? I don't think so.

Edited by connda

I only know of two 'micros', the one on beach road in Pattaya whose name I don't know, and another one in Phuket that a friend took me to with a fake ship in front of it (the name of which I also don't know). If I'm local in Udon then it's bottled German or if the price is right bottled Belgian (though the last one I had was 280 baht for a small, which considering the minimum wage, I feel is excessive).

If all else fails then it's usually Leo or Heineken, but anything other than Chang - strangely some of my friends prefer Chang over all other brands - I guess it takes different strokes for different folks.

I don't want to drink for drinkings sake, I want to enjoy what I'm spending on, and be in good company, otherwise I'd rather do without.

• 3 weeks later...

I quite like Federbrau, but expensive for Thai beer.

Federbrau is by far the best Thai beer...

Tesco carries this beer...It is only a bit more expensive than Chang and Leo....

Federbrau is not only a bit expensive than Leo or Chang. It is a lot more expensive, like 20 baht on top for a bottle. In my opinion beer in Thailand is of poor quality and way overpriced. Thailand does not produce a dark beer, just low quality lagers. I wish they produced some dark beer because the imported dark beer is way too expensive. I'm not happy with the choice Thailand beer deliver. Pretty poor in my books.

You know that Heineken is made out of nasty canal water right? If I am wrong and you can drill a well into ground which is under sea level please tell me so. That being said Chang is probably made under the same set of circumstances but with no quality control assurances.

I am curious I can not find anything about where Heineken sources their water from. Normally a power house brewery would brag about this sort of thing. Does anybody actually know where their water comes from?

I guess from Chao Praya river, as most local beers are brewed in Ayutthaya.

How many here remember "CATHOUSE" (2001-04) on the 2nd level of Nana Plaza? Happy hour: 4pm to 8pm: all the bottled Chang you could drink for 100 Baht.

Place was packed every night...until 8:05.

The good ol' days...

why did beer get so expensive in Thailand and in a shot amount of time? 5 years ago beer was like 35 baht and not it is in the 55 range.

And yesterday, I checked some stores and Chang has risen in price once again. The two pack is now 110 baht a 7/11...&lt;deleted&gt;

Atleast the baht is weakening against the USD or I'd never drink again 555

How many here remember "CATHOUSE" (2001-04) on the 2nd level of Nana Plaza? Happy hour: 4pm to 8pm: all the bottled Chang you could drink for 100 Baht.

Place was packed every night...until 8:05.

The good ol' days...

why did beer get so expensive in Thailand and in a shot amount of time? 5 years ago beer was like 35 baht and not it is in the 55 range.

And yesterday, I checked some stores and Chang has risen in price once again. The two pack is now 110 baht a 7/11...<deleted>

Atleast the baht is weakening against the USD or I'd never drink again 555

Ah, the cat house, certainly was the good old days. After the happy hour we'd all head down to cowboy for a nightcap. I also remember drinking chang on tap. Think that was at Bobbys bar in Patpong? After two or three glass your tanks were full and let the night begin.