When will tourists go back to Thailand?

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I 've never been sick in Thailand, not in visiting or living here in 20 years.

I don't fear to get sick because then i shouldn't be here at all. Nosepicking is the national sport and after that they touch the same railings or doorknobs as you and me.

Butchers on the market is what i fear, they use handgloves but also take the money with them. Or butchers in Foodland and Villa market, they also use gloves but touch the plastic bags with them as well when they hand it over to you.

If you go to Kanchana Phisek ringroad in Bangkok you can see accidents happening every day. Big trucks crashing into eachother at the back (because they are overloaded and can't break anymore). Motorcy's with baby's racing inbetween cars untill they get hit and fall. I see it happening every day.

You took your wife and son to stay in Nana?

Lol! No! The JW Marriott is on Sukhumvit 2 near the Nana complex. I recommend this hotel for anyone that has business to conduct at the U.S. Embassy. It's nearby and the business center at the hotel is great!

A hell a lot of dislikes and I even agree with many of them. But why are you in Thailand ?

Because I live here with my wife and our children ( and my dogs );

In many countries; for example France, there are many people who don't like the government and many other things but they still live in the country .

Well said...i don't see why he is concerned why you live in Thailand, it is none of his business why...we are allowed to say what we think is bad or good about this country, and still want to live here...

So, to live here, according to 'Deli' we are NOT allowed to say about dirty beaches, and jetski scams, taxi mafia etc. why not, Deli? You think it will go away if we don't mention it??

No plomplem - officials in charge will simply "lure" all the tourists back in... with some campaign... and some... clever.. (ahemmm) slogan. coffee1.gif

I think it needs to be said that there is a huge difference foreign tourists and long term expat residents.

Most expat residents probably first came to Thailand as tourist, but after living here a while, adapting, and assimilating to the Thai life style, they change.

I think many, like me, cringe with embarrassment when they see tourists from their home country and would rather never see another one here.

Seeing them and thinking " My God! was I really that rude and stupid too?"

Even though many tourist live like two week millionaires while on vacation and drop a good amount of money, most of that money goes to bar owners, hotels, bar girls, and tour guides and really does not trickle down to benefit the average Thai person.

Long term residents may live on a budget and not go out spending "crazy money" very often, but.their day to day expenses do add up and the influx of their monthly income into Thailand year after year has a much more positive impact on the Thai economy.

Maybe making Thailand less attractive tacky to tourists, and more attractive to long term residence would be a better bet for Thailand.

Totally agree with you there mate...The average expat spends more in a year than the average tourist, plus we spend it in the right places, i.e. Local markets, local stores, etc.

So our money trickles to the 'needy', not the 'greedy'....

" with the draw of cheap street food, beautiful beaches, ancient temples and friendly locals winning each time"

WOW is cheap street food a draw card for tourism. As an Aussie and young surf rat I spent heaps of time in Bali and as an Aussie IMHO Thai beaches are nothing to write home about. Maybe for Europeans who don't know better, but coming from a country that has miles of pristine coastline, and more importantly surf, Thailand is very shit house. Sure most of the Islands are undeniably scenic but the coastal beaches aren't even worth a look. Friendly locals? When? Maybe 10 years ago. Yep the temples are nice but the same could be said for Cambodia, Laos and most of Indo so again no contest. I see many on this thread talking about Bali/ Indo. I have been working out of there for the past 3 years and I could confidently state, again IMO, the Balo's are much friendlier, everything is much cheaper, the level of service is far superior as is the level of spoken English, the food and ingredients are much fresher and first world standard. I would say Indo has Thailand whipped hands down, just nothing really there for the sexpats. My whole life/family/children are all here for the moment but if I was to up stumps there are a lot of places in SEA far more attractive to me than Thailand I am sad to say.

The ex-american expert above sees: "carnage on the roads and streets" and it's only "easy girls that draw the crowds"

Could you let us know where the carnage filled streets and roads that you walk down are located? Or do you puke up what you see on your idiot box television? How boring and unoriginal your conversations must be.

Where are the bars filled to the rim with these tourists looking for easy girls?

Do tell.

You never been to Phuket then ermm.gif

i was just looking at the very graphic photos on facebook of a woman bleeding out on the street in Downtown Hua Hin. Scooter accident. everybody knows about the WHO report, Thailand is number two on the list.

As for the location of the easy girls, just throw a dart at a map of Thailand.

i don't watch TV, I live in Thailand. The roads are dangerous as all hell here.

and if you have traveled the world as i have, you know the beaches and islands here suck.

i'm going back to throwing darts at a map now... :)

Edited by NCC1701A

No plomplem - officials in charge will simply "lure" all the tourists back in... with some campaign... and some... clever.. (ahemmm) slogan. coffee1.gif

I think it needs to be said that there is a huge difference foreign tourists and long term expat residents.

Most expat residents probably first came to Thailand as tourist, but after living here a while, adapting, and assimilating to the Thai life style, they change.

I think many, like me, cringe with embarrassment when they see tourists from their home country and would rather never see another one here.

Even though many tourist live like two week millionaires while on vacation and drop a good amount of money, most of that money goes to bar owners, hotels, bar girls, and tour guides and really does not trickle down to benefit the average Thai person.

Long term residents may live on a budget and not go out spending "crazy money" very often, but.their day to day expenses do add up and the influx of their monthly income into Thailand year after year has a much more positive impact on the Thai economy.

Maybe making Thailand less attractive tacky to tourists, and more attractive to long term residence would be a better bet for Thailand.

Totally agree with you there mate...The average expat spends more in a year than the average tourist, plus we spend it in the right places, i.e. Local markets, local stores, etc.

It is so refreshing to hear from someone who knows the real Thailand, real Thai people and the truth!

I get very tired of the complaints and criticism of Thailand from those who come here want to live like the did "back home" and are upset that the country will not reprogram itself to their desires and needs.

If you come here and insists on living and acting like someone who refuses to respect, adapt and fit in, you deserve to be treated like you are unwelcome.

You are unwelcome.

Try Disneyland next time. Miney and Micky are paid to tolerate things like you.

The answer to this question is "November & December". Some are gone, like the Russians, because of the weakness of the Ruble. The Aussie dollar will also determine how many keep coming from there. They will still come as tourists, but it would be a more difficult decision to move here permanently, I would guess. I may be way off on this one, and I am sure that the Aussies will let me know shortly. The Chinese are here in all their glory. Went to walk Bali Hai pier last night. You could not even get close to it. Slammed with Asian tour groups.

It is so refreshing to hear from someone who knows the real Thailand, real Thai people and the truth!

I get very tired of the complaints and criticism of Thailand from those who come here want to live like the did "back home" and are upset that the country will not reprogram itself to their desires and needs.

If you come here and insists on living and acting like someone who refuses to respect, adapt and fit in, you deserve to be treated like you are unwelcome.

You are unwelcome.

Try Disneyland next time. Miney and Micky are paid to tolerate things like you.

Hang on - weren't you just hoping they would bend to your desire and make the place more attractive to you as a long-term resident?

This requires investigation, analysis and translation of many factors. It also requires transparency, and astute strategic understanding to develop the whys and wherefores. Thailand won't have a chance to get their heads around this.

"If the thunder don't get you, then the rightning will." With due apologies to Jerry Garcia.

" you can't go back and you can't stand still"

your comment says a lot about you,

and I like it.

I bet Gerry loves it!

P.S. Is "rightining" from the Thai version of the song?

I don't think this will have any lasting impact on western tourists. We've been through this sort of thing once or twice and aren't intimidated at all by these punks. If anything you will see people come out of support for Thailand.

When Will Tourists On Long Overstays Go Back to Their Country?

Overstay is not the fun it used to be these days

I was given a large fine at immigration last time even though I had a letter from the doctor and surgeon @ hospital where I was admitted.....

If I was overstayed by more days than I could pay for I understand that I get to live in jail for awhile before being eventually deported

coming!

Brits more likely to come. Such is our nature.

i will be there end january.

I have never looked at it from mommysboy's perspective before.

but it seems he is correct.

Brits have been fond of leaving home and visiting other countries for a long time now.

Here is a picture of a popular North American tour in 1882.

A long uncomfortable journey,Very bad or no food, horrible weather, primitive accommodations, disease, heathen, unchristian religions everywhere.

but the Brits kept arriving.

Nothing could stop them.

The local will never forget it!

post-147745-0-23443800-1440283728_thumb.

The ship was called The Mayflower.

It' just your nature!

Edited by willyumiii

Bali seems to have done ok.

1 bombing (actually 2 like Thailand - one successful, but one not successful), prosecuted almost all involved guilty parties (although there were questionable sentences handed down), no political violence in Bali, no backlog of unsolved murders, political/business assassinations and political terrorist acts. Sorry, but your comparison is completely off base.

You appear to be endorsing SoiBiker's post with your comments. Bali really has done OK, as you highlight.

Thailand will always have tourists. Great climate great food, interesting culture and mostly charming people. The place generally has a lot going for it.

The real issue is will tourism, investment and the economic functionality of the country arise to anywhere near its potential?

Anything is possible - but it looks more likely that it will stagger along, the odd positive development overwhelmed by a raft of obstructions and difficulties, the vast majority of which and by far the most damaging, imposed by authorities.

I take back some of my comments about tourism being unaffected in Phuket. My hotel seems to have been unaffected, but I just got back from Rassada Pier (the ferry port for Phi-Phi Island). That port is usually teaming with tourists (it was last week), but I counted all of 20 foreign tourists, (and 5 of those were from one of my airport hotels). The Thai staff at the ferry port blamed the bomb in BKK for the lack of foreign tourists