Bangkok bombing: Governor defends rushed reopening of Erawan Shrine

webfact

Best thing for the country is to carry on as normal. To show this threat is not likely to be repeated in a hurry.

Arrest the bombers and hang them high. Enhanced interrogation techniques should be used to ensure the find out exactly who is behind this and then persecute them too

Would that be the same techniques they used on the BBoys?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fine, providing all the critical evidence needed has been collected ?

Yes the BBC reporter took some evidence to the police station and everybody was "Out to Lunch" There were 3 young lads shown on the news and none had enough training to simply hold out his hand and take the evidence. Guess in the end they did not believe the reporter.

There is no excuse for destroying critical evidence before it was gathered. An attack of common sense at that point would have been most welcome. Do you really think the bombers care one way or the other. They already have what they were looking for. The only way that the victims and the country will be able to put this behind them is to find and punish the culprits. That effort has been compromised by the stupidity of the rapid clean up.

Cleaning: Yes.

Opening: Nope

Actually this would be a good moment to close this shrine forever and move it to another place where it can be much bigger. It is a strange place anyway for a very holy place, in between hotels at the most busy junction of a metropole.

Now it all looks like the business has to continue, no matter what happened.

And what's the difference anyway between opening or keeping it closed? People can also see it through the fence and maybe even light a candle there.

A huge huge pile of flowers, candles, last notes, pictures of familymembers would also look like this place is very important and nobody can stop us.

The Erawan shrine is actually the spirit house for the Erawan Hotel. That particular intersection has long been held to have good Feng Shwe. So it's not just about moving it somewhere else. As for the cleaning.... I think it was a bit hasty, maybe there was more evidence to find...maybe not. The Boston Marathon bombing ...was that washed down within 24 hours? I don't know, someone enlighten me.

He's right that he would have been criticized for leaving blood and body parts in the streets ... but it seems to me a better priority balance could have been managed of collecting all possible evidence first and I also still don't get the wild rush to reopen so soon.

Unlikely...if the place had been teated as a crime scene, it would have been cordoned off and screens erected whilst the place was given a through going over......

but this is par for the course - vis-a-vis Khao Tao, the police don't seem to have the fundamentals of how to set up and inspect a crime scene......

I'm reliably informed it was some "higher" authority overruled the police of this in the interests of normality and tourism. .....go figure.

reminds one of LBJ who I believe was frequently accused of putting his foot in his mouth.....

I can easily believe the orders came from on high and I'd bet Somyot didn't protest that investigation at the scene wasn't completed, that of course wouldn't be much of a consideration compared to protecting tourism.

Fine, providing all the critical evidence needed has been collected ?

Yes the BBC reporter took some evidence to the police station and everybody was "Out to Lunch" There were 3 young lads shown on the news and none had enough training to simply hold out his hand and take the evidence. Guess in the end they did not believe the reporter.

2 scenarios - he was told by those inside to shoo him away....or HE decided to say the place was closed......

Either way it just compounds the "Keystone" image of the Thai police.

As anyone who has worked or lived or even set foot in thailand for a short period of time will testify….thais have their own logic and you will give yourself an ulcer trying to figure their thinking out….best to just smile and walk on.

I agree wholeheartedly and in the past I did just smile and walk on. I still walk on but in the past year I am not smiling...just completely disgusted.

I've got to praise Jonathan Head, the Beeb reporter. He's carefully interviewing key people and building a picture of the bomber by putting a few missing pieces together.

His reports contradict quite alot of the Police statements thus far.

And Somyot's response: "They don't have knowledge of explosives"

This epitomises some of the deep seated problems here - save face, deflect your ignorance to someone else, never admit wrongdoing.

The Police force cannot be expected to be progressive and competent if this is how their top boy acts.

The Bangkok Governor had to get the shrine opened quickly to stop his ears bleeding from all the wingeing, whineing vendors asking for compensation due to loss of business during this tragic time.

Also the tourism will increase to the shrine due to all the Ghouls wanting a " selfie " at the site of all the carnage.

Cleaning: Yes.

Opening: Nope

Actually this would be a good moment to close this shrine forever and move it to another place where it can be much bigger. It is a strange place anyway for a very holy place, in between hotels at the most busy junction of a metropole.

Now it all looks like the business has to continue, no matter what happened.

And what's the difference anyway between opening or keeping it closed? People can also see it through the fence and maybe even light a candle there.

A huge huge pile of flowers, candles, last notes, pictures of familymembers would also look like this place is very important and nobody can stop us.

The reason they want that location is due to the fact that the BMA has a finger (gets a cut) for selling flowers. This place should be put next to the floating market which works well with those other scams.

Any way I have nothing against the Erawan shrine and I am amzed that some tourists pay 100 Baht for a garland that cost just 20 Baht.

Most people on holiday dont mope around counting their coins. They are on a holiday budget and such small amounts would not break their back!

After all spending a couple of 100's of 1000 Baht (or equivalent) would another couple of 100 Bahts worth complaining?

Let a poor person too enjoy a little and be happy that you caused it.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. But eitherway it had to be done.

Quite right, also I don't think he should have been the one to make that decision, the forensic investigation team head should have made the call after a complete and thorough investigation which we all know did not happen.

Not even the BBC shrapnel delivery has not fazed them.wai2.gif

Hats off to the Governor He is right that if he did nothing people would have complained. Without question he did the right thing

but he actually did nothing...they should have been collecting evidence...instaed he decided not to and just wash the place down.

Hats off to the Governor He is right that if he did nothing people would have complained. Without question he did the right thing

but he actually did nothing...they should have been collecting evidence...instaed he decided not to and just wash the place down.

You mean the BMA should have been collecting evidence? Surely that's a police job!

CMwZpDGU8AACS2L.jpg

Are you saying that you can still see the blood stains at that crime scene in the USA, that they didn't clean it up?

Thai police also did a finger tip search.. They certainly aren't as well trained as many western police forces. But giving the impression that NOTHING was searched for is extremely misleading.

post-195835-14402207791046_thumb.jpg

post-195835-14402207919029_thumb.jpg

Edited by casualbiker

Are you saying that you can still see the blood stains at that crime scene in the USA, that they didn't clean it up?

Thai police also did a finger tip search.. They certainly aren't as well trained as many western police forces. But giving the impression that NOTHING was searched for is extremely misleading.

Both shots were taken 1 day after the bombings. I didn't say NOTHING was searched for, but I seriously doubt the Boston local council water blasted the area the next day, and I seriously doubt that a foreign journalist wandered into the area & found pieces of evidence overlooked by the US investigation team.

CMwZpDGU8AACS2L.jpg

Ah another apologist...

It is quite clear that the cleanup was rushed through as people were mentioning it on here way before more body parts and shrapnel was found, and shocking that the Police compound their joke status by not even getting that right

Blatantly obvious that ALL the higher up's involved in this are clueless to greater or lesser degrees and no amount of 'aahh their trying!!' makes the inept way they are dealing with this situation any more acceptable, can you imagine how relatives of the deceased feel watching this 3 ring circus...

Was obvious right from the moments after the explosion when no perimeter was established and the press and public was given free reign to contaminate the scene and trample all over potential evidence, no coordination, no forethought, no clue and definitely no leadership which is hardly surprising when all senior position is bought

lets face it it's gonna require an act of God in order for the Thai Government or Police to catch the perpetrator and in the mean time all they do is confirm to the world what an incompetent bunch of Muppets they are and worse than that it show's where their true priorities lie....

Yes,

He did the right thing repairing it, maybe remaining closed for a short while as a sign of respect might have been good, but nonetheless as long as the police had gathered all the evidence then it was the right thing to do

As the BBC has categorically shown, they haven't collected all the evidence.... I suggest you rethink your theory.

CMwZpDGU8AACS2L.jpg

So given that you agree they aren't properly trained.... How do you see this as justifying a poor investigation?

This in an international incident... Many foreigners have died yet then police in your eyes are perfectly justified in carrying out an investigation that is below par.

If this was the case surelybthey should have brought in outside help.... Or are they just not bothered? Or simply unaware of how incompetent they are?

CMwZpDGU8AACS2L.jpg

So given that you agree they aren't properly trained.... How do you see this as justifying a poor investigation?

This in an international incident... Many foreigners have died yet then police in your eyes are perfectly justified in carrying out an investigation that is below par.

If this was the case surelybthey should have brought in outside help.... Or are they just not bothered? Or simply unaware of how incompetent they are?

The problem with thorough, complete investigations is that it's so much harder to stitch up a scapegoat. Didn't Koh Tao teach us this?

Wait for the chief of this investigation to be replaced, and the culprit will then be immediately arrested. Right now the search is on for a suitable, physically matching candidate with no pesky alibis. He will have worked alone.

Edited by FBlue72

I hate to see a man so scared of losing his job that he would offend so many countries of the people who were wounded or died in this vicious attack. I think you still might be fired unless the PM gave you the order to reopen the Shrine!

CMwZpDGU8AACS2L.jpg

Fella.. I already stated the police need more training.. But to blame the governor for something that he has no control over is the problem.

Posted 2015-08-21 13:34:06

go.png

Bangkok Bombing: Governor Defends Rushed Reopening of Shrine

“If we didn’t clean, you would criticize me,” Sukhumbhand told reporters today after being asked if the clean-up operation was premature. “Now that I cleaned it, you think I my actions are suspect.”

WHINERS AND WHINGERS.

The decision to clean the site was his, he said, saying that because no agency requested city hall to clean up the site, it was his duty to order it done.

SEEMS LIKE NO COORDINATION WITH THE FORENSIC WORK

“If the government did not order us otherwise, we had to do it,” he said. “Think about it: The government didn’t forbid us from cleaning the scene. If I didn’t clean, people will say that Bangkok’s administration is incompetent.”

BUT THE GOV'T DID NOT INSTRUCT YOU TO CLEAN IT UP EITHER OTHERWISE YOU WOULD JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO BLAME THEM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assistant national police chief Lt-General Prawut Thavornsiri also said that he had already taken the evidence found by Head and passed it on to the EOD team for inspection, adding that anything found by anybody at the scene should be handed to police immediately.

NOW THAT THE PUBLIC HAS BEEN INSTRUCTED TO ASSIST IN THE COLLECTION OF EVIDENCE, MAYBE THE RTP COULD POST A POINT OF CONTACT SO THE SAME THINIG DOES NOT HAPPEN AS IN THE CASE OF THE BBC REPORTER.

As for the rushed clean-up, Prawut said this was because the area is a major tourist attraction and if the area is closed for too long, it will make people feel more unsafe and affect tourism.

EVERYONE KNOWS THIS IS THE REAL REASON.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra also said it was the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's job to clean up the area as the police did not need to collect any more evidence.

IS THE GOOD GOV A FORENSICS EXPERT AS WELL?

Source: http://www.nationmul...p-30267170.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-22

CLEARLY A CASE OF THE TAIL WAGGING THE DOG. WOOF ARF ARF