Police chief says Bangkok bomb aimed to discredit govt

webfact

Police chief says bomb aimed to discredit govt
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang reiterated Friday that the bomb at the Erawan shrine was not linked to international terrorists but it was aimed to discredit the government.

"The aim is to discredit the government and create a climate of fear to deter tourists," Somyot told reporters at the shrine after a a memorial for the dead held in five religions’ rites.

"There’s a lot of progress, but I can’t disclose everything," he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Police-chief-says-bomb-aimed-to-discredit-govt-30267137.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-21

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love how they seem to know what the reason for the bombs were before they even know who the suspect is or had the opportunity to question anyone linked.

They've been putting out this dribble since the first hour of the bombing. First it was foreigners, then it was red shirts or southern groups or muslim groups and then it was locals. Interesting that all these people want to "Discredit" the government. Most just don't want anything to do with the government so which is it?

So the truth of the matter, clear to most, is being openly discussed. The dead are collateral damage and the primary target is tourism.

Last year the country's economy was under threat from the caretaker government's refusal to disperse government funds for infrastructure projects. There is a pattern emerging.

Whatever the reason for the bomb was, it seems likely now that the bombers completely miscalculated the bombs effects, hence the reason no one has claimed responsibility.

Seems the one bomb did exactly as planned, the other was a dud, yes but these are not Al Quada terrorists or EU separatists who claim bombs for international press. This is internal payback- for what is the question- political or for Uighurs/ Rohingya are both likely

My feeling is to disrupt the junta govt and it is working spectacularly, knocking Prayuth's much touted economic cabinet reshuffle right off the front page.

Foreigners wishing to discredit this government....interesting proposition. What interest would a foreigner have in Thai politics and this government?

Possibly the way Thailand has treated Rohingya as slaves and most recently the Uighurs would make it a target for Islamic terrorists. As an international tourist destination, with lax security and bumbling authorities - it is a prime target.

Whatever the reason for the bomb was, it seems likely now that the bombers completely miscalculated the bombs effects, hence the reason no one has claimed responsibility.

That's the problem when you live so far removed from the epicentre. Someone's ego is so great they thought they could get away with terrorism.

The reaction of the rest of the world towards this will be worth watching. Whoever is behind this is guilty of promoting terrorism and it seems they are Thai.

It is unforgivable.

Let's hope they shut up now and the next we hear is in a day or two when the Army raid multiple addresses simultaneously at dawn and recover some equipment used.

If they have any sense, they won't tell the police beforehand otherwise they might find the building empty.

So the truth of the matter, clear to most, is being openly discussed. The dead are collateral damage and the primary target is tourism.

Last year the country's economy was under threat from the caretaker government's refusal to disperse government funds for infrastructure projects. There is a pattern emerging.

if its to deter tourism, why put a bomb under Saphan Thaksin Bridge ??

why not put the bomb in Khao Sarn Road ?

how does the police chief know it was to discredit the government? is this a wild guess? or has he recieved information from the people that did it ?

A steel pipe stuffed with 3-4kg of TNT and another kilo of ball bearings!

What's to 'miscalculate'?

Edited by Stocky

Seems the one bomb did exactly as planned, the other was a dud, yes but these are not Al Quada terrorists or EU separatists who claim bombs for international press. This is internal payback- for what is the question- political or for Uighurs/ Rohingya are both likely

My feeling is to disrupt the junta govt and it is working spectacularly, knocking Prayuth's much touted economic cabinet reshuffle right off the front page.

Absolute rubbish. All bombers want the reasons for bombing to be known

Said a police/government spokesperson: "The bomb was planted by someone we don't know to create havoc for a reason we are unaware of, resulting in consequences we can't foresee. So I'm just going to flap my mouth in a vain attempt to sound knowledgeable, completely oblivious to the fact the world is laughing at my incompetence due to the fact my head is so far up my own derriere I wouldn't know the bomber if he was doing the Pattaya two step on my front lawn"

You don't miscalculate what a pipe bomb full of ball bearings and allegedly 3KG of explosives does in a high concentration of people!!!!!

Has anyone taken thought that it may be radical group who support the junta and want to creat a diversion. Maybe they feel they need the country to be looking elsewhere.and people quit looking at how Thailand is going down the tubes under the government. Perhaps this is why the government is trying so hard to make a narrative for intermal problem motive. The way the bombing was carried out it could easily been military organised and the bomber speaking another language could have been pig latin for all we know. These are just random thoughts but things like this do happen yes, or no?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

absolute rubbish, many bombings all over the globe have gone unclaimed, many devices the IRA claimed to have done, were in fact done by splinter and dissident groups, who didn't broadcast their intentions, nor their ownership.

Same with the Middle East, many devices targeting Israeli's were never "claimed" there were mere suspicions as to who were behind them.

There are things in Thailand that cannot be discussed in Thailand not just the thing that cannot be discussed but other things too.

However, the administration, particularly its most senior people, has to present itself as being knowledgeable and in control especially of the things that cannot be discussed.

The result is these bizarre announcements very sparse on details but reassuring anyone who wants to listen that they do indeed know what is going on. This may not be true but is another topic which cannot be discussed.

You don't miscalculate what a pipe bomb full of ball bearings and allegedly 3KG of explosives does in a high concentration of people!!!!!

then why the silence?

Do we know the timer was set to go off three minutes later or three hours later? No

Do we know if intent was to kill as many as possible or to destroy shrine? No we don't really - see above

There is no point in going to all of the trouble to make a bomb and deploy it, if no one ever knows the reasons.

Bangkok blast intended to discredit Thai gov't: police chief

BANGKOK, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- Monday's deadly bombing attack in Bangkok was aimed at discrediting the Thai government, Thai police chief Somyot Pumpunmuang said Friday.

The explosion at Erawan Shrine at Ratchaprasong intersection in downtown Bangkok, which left 20 dead and more than 120 others injured, is not believed to involve international terrorism, but aimed to create fear to scare away tourists, Somyot said.

He said that a lot of progress had been made in the investigation, without elaborating.

Somyot made the remarks after rites of five religions were held in the morning in memory of the lost lives at Ratchaprasong intersection.

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, PM's Office Minister Panadda Diskul, Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra, as well as several other ministers and diplomats, were present at the Buddhist, Islamic, Christian, Sikh and Hindu rites, which were held amid tight security.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-08/21/c_134541798.htm

-- Xinhua 2015-08-21

"The aim is to discredit the government and create a climate of fear to deter tourists," Somyot told reporters at the shrine after a a memorial for the dead held in five religions’ rites.

I guess he is so clueless that he dont realize that him and his retards in uniform have been doing that for years ... Tourists dont exactly enjoy getting a shakedown from these baboons ... Actually tourists hate Thai Police with a grudge ... bah.gifsick.gifcrazy.gif

There is no point in going to all of the trouble to make a bomb and deploy it, if no one ever knows the reasons.

Just because the public doesn't know the reason, doesn't mean the "message" isn't known to the intended recipient.

This is just as likely to be a business dispute as any nefarious international plot, or dark political act.

On what are they basing this?

The Boston bombers were caught 4 days after the incident and we are at the 4 day mark now. This government seems more interested in setting self serving agendas rather than trying to capture the bomber while there is (or at least was) a wealth of evidence.

They should shut up until they've done their job and caught this (probably long gone by now) coward.

So where are the claimants? Where were the claimants for the grenades at the protests? I think you're wrong in this case, sometimes the bomb says it all. My feeling, if they are ever caught, or if scapegoats are- it will turn out to be internal politics driving these bombers, and I doubt they are finished.

Edited by FBlue72