SURVEY: Are the recent attacks in Bangkok a harbinger of a new and dangerous chapter in Thailand?

Scott

Are the recent bombings a new and dangerous turn of events in Thailand?  

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Until it is known, or at least there is some evidence suggesting, who did it, it is virtually impossible to form an opinion on whether it will happen again.

The public, the media and the police are all in the same boat, they simply don't know.

Virtually impossible? The person who did it is still on the loose.

I'm curious why you think learning about who actually did it, changes the opinion of whether it will happen again.

Because with knowing who ( as in which organization ) was behind it comes an awareness of their motives and aims. When you know that then you can form an opinion.

For example, if the aim is to cripple Bangkok, economically and socially, then there may be more.

If the aim is to coerce the government into granting your political goal there may be more; but you need to announce what that aim is - (claim responsibility).

If you are sending a message, well then if you consider the message is delivered, and understood, then this may be a one off.

I agree with you. Until the subhuman(s) responsible are identified, the answer is a coin toss and nothing more. Abstain.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think and hope the bombing is a one shot deal. No more hideous terrorism of this magnitutude. If a lone Uyghar committed this atrocity for revenge, he would not brag about it

for fear of putting pressure on President Erdogan of Turkey who is running for reelection to clamp down hard on the Uyghars.

I agree with those thinking it's just too early to say whether or not this is a one-off. Until the actors & motives behind the bombing are understood, I just don't see how you can answer this based on anything but pure speculation, and speculations are going to just be a pass-through for personal agendas (hardly a rare thing here on TV).

The very fact that nobody knows the "message" behind this tells me it CAN'T have been carried out by anyone halfway organized - unless they're just waiting for the culprits to clear the country. Unlike some others I really don't think a bomb like this, or the method used to deliver it, is necessarily beyond the capabilities of a reasonably clever & resourceful lone wolf, or perhaps a very small independent group. That's unfortunate and potentially ominous, because it might inspire local copycats. But neither do I think - purely my opinion - that the individual in the picture being circulated really looks Thai.

Edited by hawker9000

Facts? This is an opinion poll. I have wondered for decades if this would ever happen. During the first Gulf War a lot of embassies put out alerts. After 9/11 and the Bali bombings as well.. .....

How many nations in this world have not had this happen. I think Thailand has been very lucky it has

not happened before now, considering considering the competing factions in Thailand. It will happen

again, as is more and more common around the world. As long at Thailand recognizes the need for appropriate

security in the appropriate places that is all that can be done. Murphy's law's as interpreted by the Boy Scouts.

"Be Prepared"

i say no because in europe we have had a lots of terrorism situation....these people who are ready to kill inocents massivly are really a few fanatics and the police will do his job.thailand is not afganistan or pakistan...even with the south muslim problem, they will handle it...what it is impossible to handle anywhere in the world is a crazy person...somewhere who will decide then to make a crime putting a bomb or even kill him or herself at the same time.

coffee1.gif

if i have learned one thing in the last 18 years here, it is that the people of thailand persevere despite it all.

Economic crash, flooding, wart on drugs, nightclub closures, coups attempted and successful, martial law,airport closure, ratchaprasong occupation, tire burnings, lumpini and asoke protests etc, people just keep doing what they do, politics, terrorists and natural disasters be damned.

i say no because in europe we have had a lots of terrorism situation....these people who are ready to kill inocents massivly are really a few fanatics and the police will do his job.thailand is not afganistan or pakistan...even with the south muslim problem, they will handle it...what it is impossible to handle anywhere in the world is a crazy person...somewhere who will decide then to make a crime putting a bomb or even kill him or herself at the same time.

coffee1.gif

Really ,,, like the English 'handled' the IRA and the south Africans handled the ANC? According to reports the thai authorories havent

A scoobies on whats going on in the south, who does it or how to handle it, barring press wise best keep it quite as possible. surprising the similarity post the incident hasnt been made more of with this bombing.

rijit

Edited by rijit

Just a matter of time before the southern insurgents move their 'campaign' to Bangkok. So its when not if imo

rijit

Or they have already ...

Did someone already mention the Iranian guy who blew off his legs in Bangkok Feb. 2012. This kind of stuff is old hat in Bangkok I wonder why the thread has no room for a third bombing option about Guys from the Middle East trying to blow up things in Bangkok? Same old stuff. Iranian bomber blows off his legs in Bangkok as grenade he hurled at police bounces off tree and explodes at his feet

The Iranian incidents have been targeted specifically at Israeli targets in Thailand. So those weren't attacks on Thailand, more like attacks IN Thailand.

It would be very very different if South Thailand separatist brought their bombings against civilian targets like shopping malls up north as they have done numerous times in the south.

Edited by Jingthing

Okay, I'll take a stab at this by saying that I would be very surprised if this bombing did not have something to do withThailand sending more than one hundred Uighurs back to China. And while that's just a guess, I do know for a fact that the Thais really pissed a lot of people off in that part of the world where large numbers of people know how to build bombs.

Edited by oslooskar

Okay, I'll take a stab at this by saying that I would be very surprised if this bombing did not have something to do withThailand sending more than one hundred Uighurs back to China. And while that's just a guess, I do know for a fact that the Thais really pissed a lot of people off in that part of the world where large numbers of people know how to build bombs.

I am leading towards that theory, although, it really shouldn't be Thailand's fault if China mistreated their own citizens. The blame is really with the Chinese, although I can see people not being happy about Thailand's actions. But, where ever those people decided to go, it put that country in a bad spot. If they went to Burma or Laos, those countries would have been in that position.

The Iranian incidents have been targeted specifically at Israeli targets in Thailand. So those weren't attacks on Thailand, more like attacks IN Thailand.

It would be very very different if South Thailand separatist brought their bombings against civilian targets like shopping malls up north as they have done numerous times in the south.

I agree with you and since this bombing was at a Hindu shrine perhaps we should look to Pakistan for suspects.

it really shouldn't be Thailand's fault if China mistreated their own citizens. The blame is really with the Chinese

On the contrary, if the Thais knowingly fed the Uighurs to the wolves, which they did, then they cannot absolve themselves of any responsibility for what the Chinese did to them.

Well, the theory I think is most likely is that bombing is related to South Thailand Islamic insurgency. [ Quote ],

On the right tack , IMO.

Has the recent bombing changed, or is likely to change your life style, or travel plans in Thailand.?

It's still the most logical theory - especially as no Islamist groups have claimed responsibility.

If the bombing was carried out by Turks then there's no need for them to claim responsiblity - doing so would make identification of the perps much easier, as well as make life difficult for all the Turks in Thailand. Their agenda would simply have been to cause harm to Thailand, and that mission was accomplished.

coffee1.gif

Really ,,, like the English 'handled' the IRA and the south Africans handled the ANC? According to reports the thai authorories havent

A scoobies on whats going on in the south, who does it or how to handle it, barring press wise best keep it quite as possible. surprising the similarity post the incident hasnt been made more of with this bombing.

rijit

you are talking about a diferent kind of political situation and terrorism.. the ocupation of a a part of irland by the english or the war made by the blacks to get back there freedom after generation of slaving or even the comunist "brigade rosse"in italy or more recently the ETA in spain where i lived for 15 years without fear.

here the bombs are not send for freedom or to liberate thailand, they are send by stupid, ignorant and mostly analphabet asle who pretend to make us beleive their god is better than the others....they are quiet more easy to controll, find and arrest to give them life prison for assasins....but perhaps , if you are so afraid, then you should take the desicion to live thailand and go back to your country now, so you will be very much safer....!

coffee1.gif

rijit

you are talking about a diferent kind of political situation and terrorism.. the ocupation of a a part of irland by the english or the war made by the blacks to get back there freedom after generation of slaving or even the comunist "brigade rosse"in italy or more recently the ETA in spain where i lived for 15 years without fear.

here the bombs are not send for freedom or to liberate thailand, they are send by stupid, ignorant and mostly analphabet asle who pretend to make us beleive their god is better than the others....they are quiet more easy to controll, find and arrest to give them life prison for assasins....but perhaps , if you are so afraid, then you should take the desicion to live thailand and go back to your country now, so you will be very much safer....!

Best you go and look at the south thailand situation from my understanding its not primarily bout religion i believe they want a.seperate state.so,,,

rijit

coffee1.gif

rijit

Best you go and look at the south thailand situation from my understanding its not primarily bout religion i believe they want a.seperate state.so,,,

rijit

You're joking, right? Which group wants a separation down there? Would it be ... Muslims?

Next ...