Plastic bags whilst shopping

ableguy

I thought it was great the powers to be have woken up to the pollution caused by the plastic shopping bags given out for everything and even the smallest purchase, I live in Korat and have been a bit reluctant to take my own shopping bags as the cashiers tend to look at me as if I am Soi dog crapping on their grandmothers feet. However now on the fifteenth of every month ( who will remmember that ? ) we will as a member of the public be encouraged to take our own bags to all the top stores, wow.

I took my large plastic Makro bag to Big C today spent about a thousand baht mixed groceries and presented my large Makro bag to the really cute cashier before she rang up the goods,, she smiled, melted my heart and placed my bag ready to take the goods,

She the proceeded to put the goods in a pile of different green plastic bags and placed these in my Makro bag,

I objected and alas got the look a Soi dog would expect if crapping on her grandmothers shoes

Just left me feeling some what deflated, pissed off , and glad I had not this chick socially., or am I being too harsh . ?

The plastic helps the rest of garbage burn don't you know. Old innertubes are saved for starting BBQ.

And again like the previous thread you are correct in what you say.

Why not start with the fundamentals and teach people to actually put rubbish in a bin before you start educating them about recycling.

As they say,you have to learn to walk before you can run.

When I walk with my wife over the village market with a shopping bag and put vegetables in the bag without any packaging they look at me like "farang ting tong" (crazy farang) biggrin.png

Its not only plastic bags at 7/11.

Yesterday bought a big 2l bottle of milk.

When I came home I noticed that two small straws had been added crazy.gif

I often return the bags to the cashier if I don't stop them from putting items into the bag before they do it.

Especially if it is for a single item I will eat as soon as I walk out the door, or any single item at al that does not require a bag to carry it.

Some of the local merchants I patronize remember and do not even offer a bag anymore.

Others smile when I tell them in my poor Thai. " Farang America mai chop plastic".

Some do look at me like I am crazy...

But, they are always nice about it.

I always get a smile and an admiring look whenever I refuse plastic bags; never a look of consternation or annoyance.

I say things like "tong raksa sing wet lom" (have to protect the environment) and "lok rawn" (global warming).

Thais have a growing awareness of climate change, and we all can set a good example by showing individual initiative and responsibility.

When I walk with my wife over the village market with a shopping bag and put vegetables in the bag without any packaging they look at me like "farang ting tong" (crazy farang) biggrin.png

I don't care much for straws, but do understand their use in Thailand.

The outside of drink containers can easily be contaminated with things like rat urine and feces while in storage.

. Putting the container to your lips to take a drink may not be a great idea.

But for a 2 liter jug of milk???

Edited by willyumiii

Be more proactive with your shopping bag desires and follow up instantly if it's gone wrong. It's not that difficult.

FWIW, the cute cashier's smile could mean she finds that dreamy look in your eye, a bit creepy. tongue.png

Edited by 55Jay

I don't care much for straws, but do understand their use in Thailand.

The outside of drink containers can easily be contaminated with things like rat urine and feces while in storage.

. Putting the container to your lips to take a drink may not be a great idea.

But for a 2 liter jug of milk???

well normal people don't drink from bottles....they use glasses.....

I always get a smile and an admiring look whenever I refuse plastic bags; never a look of consternation or annoyance.

I say things like "tong raksa sing wet lom" (have to protect the environment) and "lok rawn" (global warming).

Thais have a growing awareness of climate change, and we all can set a good example by showing individual initiative and responsibility.

While it is total unsure if there is a global warming at all, but even if you believe it how do plastic bags contribute to it?

While it is total unsure if there is a global warming at all, but even if you believe it how do plastic bags contribute to it?

Many plastic bags end up being incinerated which releases the oil and natural gas based hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

Why not empty the bags and leave them there?

Along line waiting behind me plus a security guard checking my purchases as she bagged them, I think my Makro bag was not accepted in good faith.

Anyway just a another experience but nothing for you pundits to get your knickers in a twist for.

I'm glad Thailand still uses plastic bags. I was living in San Francisco when their elitist do-gooders in charge passed a ban on plastic bags. I instead did my grocery shopping in the neighboring city - Daly City. Loss of revenue & tax for San Francisco and I increased my carbon footprint because I was now driving to the store in another city rather than riding my bicycle to the local store. California has now imposed that law on the entire state.

Glad Thailand isn't over-ran with PC-police and eco-freaks that waste their time worrying about such.

There have been a few times when I refuse the plastic bag but not for environmental reasons. Some times I can just put the item in my pocket, laptop bag or if it's a bottled water, I immediately drink it.

No "loss of face" for the Thai cashier.

Many plastic bags end up being incinerated which releases the oil and natural gas based hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

Well you are right....it looks like most end in the sea and beside the street but a lot are still burned....

I love the emphasis on BIG 2L bottle of milk like you are expecting a Thai person to read and take note.... Ha Ha Ha! I am still laughing. If you bought a small one with the straw on the side you would get a plastic bag and another straw!

Massive loss of face to thai cashier.

And what would be the problem?

Massive loss of face to Thai cashier. Would you really want to be in her checkout line again? She could probably do a price check which took half an hour.

Massive loss of face to thai cashier.

And what would be the problem?

Massive loss of face to Thai cashier. Would you really want to be in her checkout line again? She could probably do a price check which took half an hour.

No most probably she'll have forgot it 2 min later and give you the same plastic bags again next time. Don't think we are so important to her. She just sees us as just another annoying idiot...that is all.

I always tell the clerks "no bag" when I purchase small or single items, and I agree, I almost always get a smile from the clerk. Not sure if it's because of my conservation efforts, or because I just saved the store a few satangs. It doesn't matter though, it still achieves the desired result.