Motorcycle renting rules... ? (Family & friends not shops... !)

moon47

What do I need to rent a bike from family or friend rather than a shop... ??

My wife's brother just bought a new bike and he was going to take his old bike up to the country house for storage...

I would rather rent his bike than give my money to a stranger... =]

Just to make sure I am legal and have all papers in order, what is required... ??

I have an international license with a motorcycle endorsement so no prob. there...

I know he has all the required papers like insurance, registration, etc in his name...

If I drive it do those papers transfer to me as the driver or do i need to change the name on any of them while I am in possession of the bike... ??

Do I need to cary a contract of rental like I would do if I rent from a typical shop... ??

Thanks,

R

Edited by moon47

Insurance will not include rental unless specifyied when he took it out .The basic Government insurance is worth little anyway..All you need do is to get his insurance upgraded to include rental or take out proper better cover insurance yourself .

No, that's not it. if you have event a small accident, break any bone that requires an operation to recover to the best your bill easily goes into the tens of thousands, not Baht but Euro, Dollars or British pounds, God forbids if it is a serious accident requirin repatriation. That happened to me and it was not even a road accident - thanks heaven for insurance.

Check your personal insurance and make sure it covers motorbikes - most do not so that will require shopping and more money.

All the rest you can (almost) laugh about it.

No, that's not it. if you have event a small accident, break any bone that requires an operation to recover to the best your bill easily goes into the tens of thousands, not Baht but Euro, Dollars or British pounds, God forbids if it is a serious accident requirin repatriation. That happened to me and it was not even a road accident - thanks heaven for insurance.

Check your personal insurance and make sure it covers motorbikes - most do not so that will require shopping and more money.

All the rest you can (almost) laugh about it.

One can legally ride with no insurance beyond the required.

That's it.

One can legally ride with no insurance beyond the required.

That's it.

Legally ride is one thing, maximum fine Bt 400 or so.

Having an accident (at fault or not doesn't really matter) while uninsured, and dying on a truck being refused at a major hospital is another.

I can show you pictures for both cases to help you understand.

Edited by paz

I just want to make sure I am legal and avoid any reason for any type of fine from the police...

Police love to stop motorcycles and find any reason to give you a "fine" on a back street while on your way to the market...

I would rather he say "Yes faring, everything is in order, I can see no reason (excuse) to delay you any further, go about your business while I find some other sucker that does not have the correct papers..."

Insurance for safety sake I can figure out on my own... The post is about road rules/laws and not insurance policy although I still appreciate the advice none the less... =]

He will obviously rent me his old bike not his new one... Doh... !!

Thanks,

R

One can legally ride with no insurance beyond the required.That's it.

Legally ride is one thing, maximum fine Bt 400 or so.

Having an accident (at fault or not doesn't really matter) while uninsured, and dying on a truck being refused at a major hospital is another.

I can show you pictures for both cases to help you understand.

Sure, let's see 'em. Edited by papa al