Recommendations on Blenders

joeyg

Moving from Samut Prakan to Pattaya. Want to get it here in SP. The prices are much better on everything. I like the Otto Blender looks like a knock off of the Vitamix/Drink Machine but I hear it gets bad reviews.

Any recommendations from experience appreciated. Also Big C is hard to beat here. Guessing it's the same in Patts...

Thanks

Have had two close calls with Otto products. One kettle spontaneously combusted when we were out (yes power plugged in but switch off), and the internal electrical wiring on a grill caught fire whilst the grill was in use (and not turned up high)

Would never buy again.

With brands like Otto and shops like Big C you really do get what you pay for. Think about a blender, liquids, electrics, high speed sharp cutters, safety wise its a nightmare, you should be looking at a good robust manufacturer (European/American/Aussie). Also if you are going to spend big money on a blender why not get a food processor so you have even more options for its use?

Edited by RabC

Some basic advice on blenders for you.

1 - get square and not round. Round ones create air locks and end up with the stuff inside spinning around in a circle, where as square sided ones on each quarter turn chuck the lumps back into the blades ensuring quick and even blending.

2 - variable speed dial as opposed to the standard 1 -2- 3 and blitz. Depending upon what you are blending, having the ability to change in small increments eliminates chances of air locks, over blending, explosive initial bursts (which happen as the machine jumps to action rather than smoothly starts.

3 - motor size. More power is usually better, especially if you are using ice or frozen fruit. You should aim for a minimum of 1200 watts (about 2 horse power) but ideally 1500 - 1600. The higher the power the more important it is to have the true variable speed control as opposed to the 1-2-3 jobs.

4 - Sealed base unit. You should avoid ones there the blade module is separate and can be detached. The makers claim this is for ease of cleaning, but it also makes it more likely that you will get leaks, especially if you blend soups etc.

5 - A prodder. One that comes with a prodder tube so that you are not tempted to stick a wooden spoon in it to keep it working.

6 - Glass or plastic makes no real difference. Most people prefer plastic as it is lighter and won't be destroyed by a slippery drop on the kitchen tiles.

If I was on Lazada buying one withi a reasonable price, I would buy one of these

http://www.lazada.co.th/turbo-bl-767red-1315132.html

3800 ฿ Before 9500 ฿,

turbo-bl-767red-2541-2315131-1-zoom.jpg

http://www.lazada.co.th/turbo-bl-767-250692.html

2,350 ฿
Before 6,500 ฿,
You save 64%

turbo-bl-767-0562-296052-1-zoom.jpg

I don't see any benefit in buying farang brands over Thai ones as I have known Philips etc blenders to burn the motor out in less than 3 months.