Hong Kong photographer arrested in Bangkok for trying to carry bulletproof vest onto flight

webfact

Hong Kong Photographer Arrested On Way Home For Carrying Body Armour

BANGKOK, Aug 24 (Bernama) -- The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand (FCCT) has urged the Thai authorities to work with the media community in Thailand to decriminalise the legitimate use of body armour and other relevant and purely protective items.

This followed the arrest of Hong Kong resident Hok Chun 'Anthony' Kwan, who was assigned by Initium Media Technology last week to cover the aftermath of the bomb blast at Erawan shrine.

He was stopped at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Sunday as he was about to board a flight back to Hong Kong and is being charged with possessing an illegal weapon. The offence carries a prison sentence of up to five years, and the case will be tried in a military court.

"Body armour and helmets used by journalists are not offensive weapons and should not be treated as such," said FCCT.

Full story: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v8/bm/wn/newsworld.php?id=1164646

-- BERNAMA 2015-08-24

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wear a winterjacket or thick vest in the plane because it's cold there, i don't see the difference with a bulletproof vest.

People wearing mouthmasks in the plane worry me more because i don't know the reason they wear it.

"which prohibits the possession of military equipment without a licence."

But what if it is civilian body armor which can be bought? I would say having valid press credentials should be the license. Will be interesting how this plays out.

And this is right under the other headline in the News. The PM assures all visitors to Thailand would be greeted with warm smiles. Such bullshit. How are you possibly going to kill someone with a Ballistic vest? smother them when they are sleeping?......Boo For Thailand....

Had he been sitting next to Kamronwit, it would be all the more ironic. Carry a hidden, unregistered and loaded gun onto a plane in Thailand = fine, carry a kevlar jacket to protect yourself from the former = big ploblem.

I always wear a winterjacket or thick vest in the plane because it's cold there, i don't see the difference with a bulletproof vest.

People wearing mouthmasks in the plane worry me more because i don't know the reason they wear it.

That always gets me too, they are supposed to prevent the spread of airborne virus and other germs, although it is those who are sick who should be wearing them, as opposed to those who do not wish to get sick.

A friend of mine in the RTP due to be sent to the south... His Police issue Flack Jacket / Bullet Proof Vest was in his words, useless. He asked if I could bring over a European Vest.

Of course, I couldn't - I knew it was illegal to transport such items.

My point here - as a civilian with no need for such an item I was aware of some restrictions on it.

Why was a reporter not aware ?

Yes, on the surface the idea that these items are purely protective is reasonable, however, restrictions / control of the transport of these items is based around other factors such as what they are used in conjunction with (i.e. weapons)... the fact that these items are associated with warfare is why they are restricted.

This case will be interesting to follow - Kamronwit was let off after attempting (mistakenly or not) to carry his gun from Japan.

This seems like a far less severe issue with justifiable and understandable reasoning behind it.

Edited by richard_smith237

While I enjoy a good bashing of Thai police as much as the next guy, I think it is important to realize there is a valid argument for this. You can argue the merits of it, but you should not deny its existence. Take this same thought to its extreme. A country develops an effective shield against nuclear missles. This is a purely defensive thing, just like a bullet proof vest. Do you think every other country would sit by and say, "That's OK."

Heck no, they wouldn't. They would scream bloody murder about how much this destabilized the global order and made use of nuclear weapons more likely. In the same way, possession of armored vests by certain groups increases the probability of the use of assault rifles. You can reasonably make the argument that he is just a journalist, but what if his illegal vest is stolen while he is in the country?

This is not the cut and dried ridiculous notion that most would naively believe. These types of defensive devices are categorized as weapons for a reason. It may not be a great reason, but it is a valid one in some circumstances.

Pretty much every foreign journalist I know in Thailand nowadays possesses a kevlar vest and helmet, including many of the local reporters and photographers working for the large international news agencies.

The idea that they are all owning supposedly "illegal military equipment" is just moronic and once again proof why nobody can take Thailand seriously.

Instead of arresting and harassing accredited media staff over such a trivial issue, Thailand should perhaps better focus on weeding out the illegal firearms owned by a large proportion of the population.

It's not protective gear that maims and kills, it's firearms and explosive devices.

Kwan is being charged under the Arms Control Act 1987, which prohibits the possession of military equipment without a licence.

I suppose if I tried to carry military binoculars, that I purchased from Ebay, on a plane I would be arrested.

A friend of mine in the RTP due to be sent to the south... His Police issue Flack Jacket / Bullet Proof Vest was in his words, useless. He asked if I could bring over a European Vest.

Of course, I couldn't - I knew it was illegal to transport such items.

My point here - as a civilian with no need for such an item I was aware of some restrictions on it.

Why was a reporter not aware ?

Yes, on the surface the idea that these items are purely protective is reasonable, however, restrictions / control of the transport of these items is based around other factors such as what they are used in conjunction with (i.e. weapons)... the fact that these items are associated with warfare is why they are restricted.

This case will be interesting to follow - Kamronwit was let off after attempting (mistakenly or not) to carry his gun from Japan.

This seems like a far less severe issue with justifiable and understandable reasoning behind it.

I sure would bring a bulletproof vest to Thailand in my suitcase. I never heard that it is illegal and if they arrested me for that it would be in all newspapers.

Also i would wear it in the plane if i had a reason for that. How should i even know that a vest or bodywarmer was bulletproof?

Did you read about that terrorist in the TGV highspeed train to Paris? I wouldn't be surprised if right now more people in Europe wear bulletproof vests in the trains or planes.

Yeah same thing...

FCCT issues statement on detention of Hong Kong journalist by Thai security officials

FCCT-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Correspondent Club of Thailand (FCCT) today issued a statement asking the Thai security to drop criminal charge against a Hong Kong journalist for wearing life protective gears in covering Ratchaprasong bombing incident they described as prohibitive and illegal.

In the statement the FCCT said “In a week in which two Hong Kong residents were killed and six injured by the Erawan shrine bomb, the professional membership of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand is dismayed to learn that a photo-journalist from Hong Kong has been detained and charged for carrying body armour and a helmet.

Hok Chun ‘Anthony’ Kwan, who was assigned by Initium Media Technology last week to cover the aftermath of the Erawan shrine bomb, was stopped at Suvarnabhumi Airport as he was about to board a flight back to Hong Kong. He is being charged with possessing an illegal weapon, which carries a prison sentence of up to five years, and which will be tried in a military court. Body armour and helmets used by journalists are not offensive weapons and should not be treated as such.

Anthony Kwan is being charged under the 1987 Arms Control Act, which prohibits the possession of military equipment without a licence. However, the use of body armour and helmets is routine by journalists around the world, and is clearly to enable them to do their jobs in dangerous situations. The deaths of two foreign journalists in Bangkok from gunfire during the political unrest in 2010 underscores the need for this kind of protection. Journalists based in Bangkok have openly worn body armour during the more recent political turmoil without any action being taken against them by the Thai authorities. It is now a requirement of big media organisations that their journalists carry body armour and helmets into potentially risky environments.

The FCCT has in the past asked the Thai authorities to address this issue, so that journalists can purchase, import, and carry adequate protective equipment. The case of Anthony Kwan presents an opportunity now to find a solution. We urge the authorities not to press ahead with the criminal case against Mr. Kwan, and to work with the media community in Thailand to decriminalise the legitimate use of body armour and other relevant and purely protective items.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fcct-issues-statement-on-detention-of-hong-kong-journalist-by-thai-security-officials

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-24

[...]

The way I see is that is one less person you need to be concerned about coughing without covering their mouth. It's a disgusting thing, it's where cultural sensitivity interferes with hygiene. I wish more people in this part of the world wore masks.

When I lived in Hong Kong...I know...it's not here...so what....I wanted to get

better body armour than the news bureau I worked with had imported into HK.

I consulted a few expat coppers i knew and even though it was possible to

legally own body armour it was not without great difficulty obtaining it...legally.

I was intrduced to an arms dealer who carried not only firearms but much better

body armour...Level IIIA- Level IV. The dealer happened to have the carrier

(vest) and two L3A plates on hand so I paid the money, he handed me the

paperwork and thus began 3 weeks of footwork on my part.

Doing the stuff at RHKPD was a breeze and was accomplished within a few

days. It was HM Customs that took the time. Three interviews, two visits to

my flat and a ream of paperwork to be filled out. The only item I needed

to buy after the purchase of my set of body armour was a steel locker

suitable for the storage of firearms...that was rather pricey as it's construction

is very much unlike a metal gym locker but also quite like one in looks.

The firearms locker is made of steel armour plate and weighs a heap of kilos.

After the purchase of the locker and getting it delivered to the flat I had to

set up a time with both RHKPD & HM Customs to view my "installation".

That was accomplished in a day or two and the visit happened, a few

photos were taken, papers were signed appropriately and in the end I

had a license for my passive body armour & went to pick up the goods

from my new friend, the arms dealer.

I was sent two registered letters for the final cards that allowed me to

transport the body armour from flat to office to airport or flat to airport

and one was the "license".

Under the laws of HK at the time...and many other countries out here,

a set of body armour even though passive is still considerd an offensive

weapon. Why? It was explained to me that it would be fairly easy to rob

a bank and facilitate a good getaway whilst getting shot at wearing one.

That was just for starters

So it's a connundrum according to the law...and that's probably why the

HK photog got popped...sad really. I used to keep mine in checked

luggage...never carry on...mainly because old L3A & L4 was kinda heavy.

Never had a problem transporting this way...which is the proper way to

transport when flying.

Edited by sunshine51

Thai police arrest HK photographer for bulletproof vest
By Coconuts Bangkok

anthony_kwan_hok-chun.jpg
Anthony Kwan Hok-chun. Photo: South China Morning Post

BANGKOK: -- A Hong Kong photographer Monday said he had been detained in Thailand for carrying a bulletproof vest and helmet while covering the aftermath of last week's deadly shrine bombing.

Anthony Kwan Hok-chun, who works for the Hong Kong-based Initium media group, was held by police after trying to depart Suvarnabhumi airport on Sunday afternoon.

"Still waiting at the airport police station," he told AFP via text on Monday morning.

"All I know is I am going to court," he added.

The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand criticised Kwan's arrest, adding they had been told the photographer would be tried in a military court.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/24/thai-police-arrest-hk-photographer-bulletproof-vest

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-08-24

HK media photographer arrested

BANGKOK: -- A Hong Kong photographer was arrested yesterday while he was about to leave on a flight back home at Suvarnabhumi airport.

The Bangkok Post reported that Anthony Kwan Hok-chun, who works for the Hong Kong-based Initium media group, was detained after trying to depart Suvarnabhumi airport on Sunday afternoon.

“Still waiting at the airport police station,” he told AFP via text on Monday morning. “All I know is I am going to court.”

International media have flocked to Thailand following last Monday’s deadly Erawan shrine bombing, which killed 20 people in the heart of Ratchaprasong shopping district and wounded 120 more.

The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand criticised Kwan’s arrest, adding they had been told the photographer would be tried in a military court.

“He is being charged with possessing an illegal weapon, which carries a prison sentence of up to five years, and which will be tried in a military court,” the FCCT said in a statement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/hk-media-photographer-arrested

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-24