Move to Koh Samui or Phuket

Hi!

I was earlier considering moving to Phuket for studying Thai, but I am afraid it maybe is too big and touristy? I am sure Koh Samui also got a great amount of tourists as well though.

So I would like to ask you about the general price level of rent in Koh Samui and how much a low end restaurant with Thai food cost in Koh samui, of course a little bit away from the biggest tourist streets.

Any feedback is very appreciated, and will be in great help for making me decide where to go.

As an extra information. I love to go swimming and would be great if I can do activities like mountain hiking, visiting the forest and such

Edited by andy7

Samui is definitely more expensive than Phuket. We're not just talking about food, but also accommodation as well as things you need on daily basis will cost more on Samui than most parts of Thailand.

If budget is a concern for you, I don't recommend you to come to Samui, nor Phuket for that matter.

Go to Chiang Mai or any upcountry town. There should still be places for you to study Thai and cost of living is much cheaper.

If you like swimming, you can consider for example Krabi, Cha Am or Songkla. Bang Saen near Pattaya is also an alternative.

Edited by Mole

Samui is definitely more expensive than Phuket. We're not just talking about food, but also accommodation as well as things you need on daily basis will cost more on Samui than most parts of Thailand.

If budget is a concern for you, I don't recommend you to come to Samui, nor Phuket for that matter.

Go to Chiang Mai or any upcountry town. There should still be places for you to study Thai and cost of living is much cheaper.

If you like swimming, you can consider for example Krabi, Cha Am or Songkla. Bang Saen near Pattaya is also an alternative.

Cha am would be a great option, plenty of cheap restaurants with fresh crab form 85 Baht a kilo. easy access to BKK. Miles of beaches although clean not the best in Thailand, Tessabhan run swimming pool at 20 Baht a day. Flat so good for cycling. Accommodation can be as litlle as 4K a month for a fully furnished a/c room 36sqm with T.V etc. Predominately older people but friendly enough. Cha am has a nature park that is free entrance, Lotus and all the usual Foreign stuff available and the icing on the cake, Walen has a school there....amongst other language schools.

Chiang Mai is probably a good option for you budget-wise and if you don't need the beach and ocean to swim. The 700-Year Stadium Complex has a 50-meter pool with daily designated lap swim periods. Apartments and food are cheap. Easy to get around on a motorbike (or by songtheaw or tuk tuk). Forests, mountains, and rivers galore in every direction out of town. Thai language schools in town...AUA is one of the best ones IMO. If you do need some beach time occasionally, easy to fly direct to Phuket (and maybe Krabi) from here. Nightlife is marginal compared to Phuket and Samui....and air quality is bad typically in Feb-Apr.

Edited by morpho

I've only travelled to the islands when in holiday mode, so wasn't looking as much at prices compared to 'home', but the impression I get is that islands are a little more expensive than places on or attached to the mainland. I don't know if that's because of added transport costs, or maybe just opportunity since you're pseudo captive.

Phuket: Great infrastructure, no mafia, good roads, bridge to main land.

Samui: Shoddy infrastructure, mafia, shoddy roads, no bridge.

You make the choice.

Lol@ Phuket and no mafia.

Op i lived in both, currently in Samui. I find it more relaxed here also the scenery is better. We have some really awesome beaches around the island.

Price wise they are very similar. Pretty much more expensive than anywhere in thai but still decent by western standards.

Lamai for example has the perfect balance between hookers/nightlife/peacefull life.

Phuket is cheaper. Especially if you go outside the tourist areas where Thai people live. In Patong or other tourist trap areas, of course price will be expensive.

Samui is pretty much high price all over the island.

You make the choice.

On samui you can get a songthaew to the other side of the Island for 70 baht.

How far do you go with the "non-mafia" tuk tuk in Phuket.. whistling.gif

Samui's acceptable nice rooms start at ~5.000/month and Thai dishes at 40 Baht at many places all over the island. Swimming is possible all over the year. Cannot believe people compare swimming in the tropical ocean, into a sunset for example, to a public swimming pool. Also hiking is wonderful on Samui. The whole innerside, everything inside the Rind Road is nothing else but beautiful nature, endless tropical forests, 20 waterfalls and more, where almost nobody is.

You can be from one and the same place in a couple of minutes on a nice beach for swimming, many restaurants and shopping facilities and in a lonely forest. Sure a noodle soup costs 40-50 Baht and in Isaan 25-30 and the room for 5.000 in Isaan 2.500. That does not mean that Samui is expensive, it is not extraordinary cheap like in the pampas, but normal cheap.

You make the choice.

If great infrastructure, no mafia, good roads, bridge to mainland are the main criteria, I would stay in Singapore.

I think I will go for Phuket, far away from Patong, with the possibility to drive to a beach and maybe have a weekend in Krabi. I just got to consider how safe it is driving on the roads in Phuket.

Edited by andy7

May I suggest Mukdahan. It has a beach. Far lower costs and your Thai will improve no end. Consider it. Mukdahan.

Most people consider a beach to be next to the sea. Mukdahan maybe have a sandy area next to the Mekong but does not make it a beach. Do you travel write for TAT? whistling.gif If hungry you could at least consider the delicacies of the local area. See attached photo of local scrumptous dish. You can always get pussy there. Sometimes its even already cooked for you.

post-175621-0-13977600-1440602662_thumb.

Edited by callaway

I think I will go for Phuket, far away from Patong, with the possibility to drive to a beach and maybe have a weekend in Krabi. I just got to consider how safe it is driving on the roads in Phuket.

Driving in Thailand is not enjoyable to say the least, And extremely Dangerous.... So be prudent if you do drive.....

thailandforumaddict, I beg your pardon???

I am actually a NATIVE THAI!!

And I'm speaking from personal experience. I live in Samui and quite happily so, and I know this island pretty darn well from a native Thai perspective. I've also visited Phuket and eaten and stayed in places where we Thais are and outside of the tourist trails.

Samui is hands down more expensive than Phuket.

OP's has budget constrains, so Samui is not an ideal place to be if money is tight.

Both are nice places to live. I prefer Samui but it is more expensive.

However both are poor places to learn Thai. Being tourist destinations many foreigners coming here find it much more useful to learn English rather than Thai ! A lot of the Thai's on the island want to speak English and in restaurants etc most of the staff are Burmese who don't speak Thai anyway. Quite a few of the Thai's on Phuket or Samui do not speak dialects other than central Thai among themselves. You can definitely learn Thai here and there are many Thai's who are very helpful to learners, but especially at early stages it is just much easier other places where you will get much more exposure to Thai. Just check around and you will find far fewer long term foreign residents speak reasonable Thai than is the case elsewhere.

Not trying to put you off as for lifestyle these are great parts of the country but if your goal is learning Thai it takes a lot more effort here.

Phuket can be cheap to eat, all depends where you go... Lived in Samui and Phuket.. Love both places, tho Phuket has a lot more to do.. Touristy, well they both are.. Depends on where and what you want to rent, seen rents from 3000 baht per month, small room and a fan, and up it goes.. I preferred Chalong, more central, and paid 6 tho per month plus water and electricity for a aircon room...

Both Phuket and Samui are far more expensive than the mainland Thailand. If your budget is limited and you can stay away from the glitz, Pattaya has everything and its cheap. A stones throw away on a 30 baht ferry is Koh Larne where the beach is lovely and you get a great boat ride for next to nothing. Good thai schools at affordable prices, great food choices. Yes there are some bums there but you dont need to mix with them. If there are kids to consider the attractions are a lot cheaper than anywhere else in Thailand. Just a thought. Many dismiss Pattaya as the pits but it has it plus points for sure.

May I suggest Mukdahan. It has a beach. Far lower costs and your Thai will improve no end. Consider it. Mukdahan.

Most people consider a beach to be next to the sea. Mukdahan maybe have a sandy area next to the Mekong but does not make it a beach. Do you travel write for TAT? whistling.gif If hungry you could at least consider the delicacies of the local area. See attached photo of local scrumptous dish. You can always get pussy there. Sometimes its even already cooked for you.

Is that a no then?

How about Nong Bua Lamphu? I think you will find it has "Pattaya Beach 2".

I do feel to get the very best out of Thailand, one has to open your mind and think a little wider than the old and tired tourist ghettoes. wai.gif