What takes place in Thai schools is not education.

On 11/4/2015 at 1:05 AM, Craig krup said:

If you want an off-the-shelf Critical Thinking course the Scottish Higher and Intermediate 2/National 5 courses have a little Critical THinking course as part of them. Basically about twenty hours work forcing them to think.

All men die

Socrates is a man

Socrates will die

Valid

All dogs have skateboards

Kevin has a skateboard

Kevin is a dog

Invalid - Nobody said that only dogs have skateboards.

Never mind the Thais, most Europeans could use some critical thinking skills.

If I could be bothered I'd rewrite Lewis Carroll's book on logic and combine it with Anthony Flew's Thinking about Thinking, but I can't be arsed.

Everyone who can't be arsed will eat rice, chickpeas and fish straight from the pan

Craig can't be arsed

Craig will therefore.................mmmmmmmmmmmmm. tastylaugh.png

Interesting. I each M3 and M4 mathematics, and Logic is  major topic in M4 semester 1. I don't know how the topic is taught by Thai teachers, but I taught my students how to test the validity of arguments using truth tables.

Try this one...It's one I gave to my students:

If you are a fire-eater, then you work in the circus. If you don’t like cotton candy, then you don’t work in the circus. Therefore, if you are a fire-eater, then you like cotton candy.

6 minutes ago, DavisH said:

If you are a fire-eater, then you work in the circus. If you don’t like cotton candy, then you don’t work in the circus. Therefore, if you are a fire-eater, then you like cotton candy.

Valid (transitive reasoning)

Archived