What takes place in Thai schools is not education.

I came across this letter in the Sunday Nation in response to an article on how to boost education here and IMO it is absolutely spot-on.

What takes place in Thai schools is not education. From the Sunday Nation

August 23, 2015 1:00 am

Re: "To boost education, emphasise critical thinking over conformity", Editorial, August 21.

"Thank you for your excellent and perceptive editorial on the need to emphasise critical thinking over conformity in education. I only hope that it is read and absorbed by those who have power to effect change.

I live in Thailand because I love the country and its people, so maybe that is the reason I despair at what passes for education in Thailand. I have studied and taught in schools and universities in the UK, and studied briefly at university in Thailand. I have many Thai friends, most of whom are post-graduates or have children in Thai schools.

It quickly became apparent to me that whatever takes place in these schools and universities is not what most of the world understands as education. Education involves the development of an inquiring mind, understanding, innovation, the ability to distinguish between fact and fancy, using the power of reason to challenge received ideas and question the status quo. Basically, making students think.

In Europe, reading a book or newspaper on public transport is common, but it is rare here. TV news is extremely parochial. There seems to be no interest in or knowledge of world history, geography or literature, or of other cultures.

The last thing the powers that be want in Thailand, it seems to me, is for the population to be educated. What takes place instead is an attempt at indoctrination into "the Thai way". Elders must always be respected and looked up to, so you never question your teacher, even if you don't understand, even if she or he is talking nonsense. You listen, try to remember, and repeat what was said in the test. You do not voice a personal opinion because conformity is all. Dress uniform (at university even!) reinforces this".

Keith Barlow

I agree with the sentiments in the letter. I think this issue of criticality and thinking is what separates traditional Western and Eastern approaches to teaching and learning. If you want to see what happens when these two different approaches come together check out : Are our Kids Strong Enough? Chinese School. This a BBC produced documentary (3 episodes) which can be quite easily accessed through the normal channels. Basically it is the story of a high performing state school in Hampshire, England deciding to run a Chinese school for some of its Year 9 students ; they bring in five Chinese teachers and in effect run an experiment to see who performs the best: the Chinese school or the normal school. I don't think it is the most authentic programme I've ever seen, kids are clearly performing for the mikes and cameras, but it does a wonderful job in highlighting the issues between the different approaches.

On the subject of critical thinking it's a word that is banded about a lot in educational circles. I am not sure it can be taught. Rather it's a process and it is something that is developed. It can't be learned in a hurry. It's something that is built up over a lot of years and practise. You're not going to fill this perceived gap by for instance running a 'critical thinking' course for university entrants in their last year of school. It is in fact developed from day one at school and supported at home. And it is about fun. It is about reading a story and inviting small children to think about what happened next and it builds from there and is incorporated into every aspect of school life. It is quite different from transmission style teaching which is what its name says it is: the teacher is up front transmitting his/her expertise to the students whom would never dream to ask any questions.

Howard Gardner, a professor at the Harvard Graduate School of Education has a large number of books that touch on education in Asia, especially China. He, his wife and his adopted Chinese son spent a year studying the nature of education in China, It is, of course, quite different from education in many Western countries. We might find fault with education that is transmissive rather than encouraging individual thought and initiative but the resiliance of culture can not be ignored. Here in Japan, returnees from study in the West don't fit in if they have become westernized to the point of being brash and abrasive in the eyes of their classmates or workmates. There are many, many differences between education in Japan and education in the UK or the USA and Japanese culture will win out every time. The works of Howard Gardner are very interesting. Please Google him and have a look at his books.

Howard Gardner, a professor at the Harvard Graduate School of Education has a large number of books that touch on education in Asia, especially China. He, his wife and his adopted Chinese son spent a year studying the nature of education in China, It is, of course, quite different from education in many Western countries. We might find fault with education that is transmissive rather than encouraging individual thought and initiative but the resiliance of culture can not be ignored. Here in Japan, returnees from study in the West don't fit in if they have become westernized to the point of being brash and abrasive in the eyes of their classmates or workmates. There are many, many differences between education in Japan and education in the UK or the USA and Japanese culture will win out every time. The works of Howard Gardner are very interesting. Please Google him and have a look at his books.

Thanks for this, very interesting. I'm familiar with Gardner's mainstream work on learning styles but was unaware of his work on education in China so will do as bidden!

The OP, specifically the letter cited, is very much about the Thai system and I think the best thing that could be said of it is it would like to copy the robust systems in countries like Korea, Japan and China. However the issue here really isn't about transmissive or any other style of teaching - it's about quality. I doubt whether my Thai students could stand up to the rigours of the Chinese system if it is anything like what was portrayed in the TV documentaries. Maybe the new intake could but....

Well, besides quality of teaching, IQ is a factor. So is home environment. John Ogbu and Mary Matute-Bianchi wrote about about the educational achievement of Spanish-speaking students from varying social groups. Here's the link: https://www.google.co.jp/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjAAahUKEwim5szEz8bHAhXJJZQKHdPjBNY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cwu.edu%2F~hughesc%2FEDBL514Syl_files%2FReadings%2FBeyond%2520language.pdf&ei=3Z_dVeaDBcnL0ATTx5OwDQ&usg=AFQjCNHqXJfPt_TjrJAuU-1qnh8k-62amg

There's no reason to believe that the sociocultural setting of the Thai students would not have a strong influence on their ability to learn.

Mary Matute-Bianchi is very sharp. She served as the rector of UC Santa Cruz for a while.

I agree with the sentiments in the letter. I think this issue of criticality and thinking is what separates traditional Western and Eastern approaches to teaching and learning. If you want to see what happens when these two different approaches come together check out : Are our Kids Strong Enough? Chinese School. This a BBC produced documentary (3 episodes) which can be quite easily accessed through the normal channels. Basically it is the story of a high performing state school in Hampshire, England deciding to run a Chinese school for some of its Year 9 students ; they bring in five Chinese teachers and in effect run an experiment to see who performs the best: the Chinese school or the normal school. I don't think it is the most authentic programme I've ever seen, kids are clearly performing for the mikes and cameras, but it does a wonderful job in highlighting the issues between the different approaches.

On the subject of critical thinking it's a word that is banded about a lot in educational circles. I am not sure it can be taught. Rather it's a process and it is something that is developed. It can't be learned in a hurry. It's something that is built up over a lot of years and practise. You're not going to fill this perceived gap by for instance running a 'critical thinking' course for university entrants in their last year of school. It is in fact developed from day one at school and supported at home. And it is about fun. It is about reading a story and inviting small children to think about what happened next and it builds from there and is incorporated into every aspect of school life. It is quite different from transmission style teaching which is what its name says it is: the teacher is up front transmitting his/her expertise to the students whom would never dream to ask any questions.

You mention the BBC program but forget to mention that the Chinese school kids got a higher percentage score in tests than the other kids in the main school!

Possibly there needs to be a platform that delivers the best of both systems. To a certain extent based on that BBC program the Chinese kids still to do a certain amount of critical thinking and respond to what information is required.

Many Thai kids just don't have the ability, responsibility to want to access additional information!

You mention the BBC program but forget to mention that the Chinese school kids got a higher percentage score in tests than the other kids in the main school!

Possibly there needs to be a platform that delivers the best of both systems. To a certain extent based on that BBC program the Chinese kids still to do a certain amount of critical thinking and respond to what information is required.

Many Thai kids just don't have the ability, responsibility to want to access additional information!

I would imagine that's the case in some instances, but then that can apply worldwide.

IMO it's probably a combination of things in as much as the teachers are shown how they should conduct their "teaching" and it doesn't involve feedback and much interaction; the children are told by their parents to listen to the teachers and not to question them, much the same as happened with them, and of course Thai society instils a certain "you will kowtow to your superiors – – you will not question authority" mentality in the children so they never ask questions of the teacher.

I also believe that some teachers actually shirk their responsibilities with regard to the learning quality/environment in the classroom, and certainly that seems to be the case with my daughter here, because she brings home hours and hours worth of homework every night and at weekends, as do her classmates– – much more than I ever did when I was at grammar school.

Yep. They do love homework. I actually got asked by a student once if he could have homework for my class. I asked why? And was told that his parents worry that I'm not teaching anything because I don't give homework. I told him to explain that as an English conversation teacher its difficult to give homework when I'm not there (I was being a bit facetious)

Honestly they get far to much homework and they tend to do the Thai teachers homework before the foreign teachers.

I now have Facebook groups for each grade level that I teach and post vocabulary and tests etc for the kids to due on a voluntary basis, it's hit and miss but sometimes an answer is spot on.

Ah I didn't mention the results of the tests because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who watches the shows!

I don't agree with your last sentence but it's probably semantic! I think Thai kids, like all kids, do have the ability but the wider culture stifles their natural curiosity and they learn to conform with the pervasiveness mindlessness.

The western way isn't the only way!

And when I last worked in the western education system, it was failing badly.

Last time I checked, in the US, they were still debating the use of Phonics and the need to memorize the "times tables." Also, only half of funded money was actually making it into the classroom. There is also peer pressure to underachieve.

• 1 month later...

Contrariness, just for the hell of it, eh? Why not. This is a debate forum, afterall. Anyway, the OP (as I understood him) was not speaking from a westerner's point of view, but only as an academic. He made that point abundantly clear, in plain english. However, you do have a a valid point, re: the western systems falling apart. The reasons and the whys are very much in alignment with the OP's conclusion about Thailand.

The powers that be, do not want a mass educated population of people, who can think, independently. The days of people like Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and Abraham Lincoln are also Gone With The Wind.

Last time I checked, in the US, they were still debating the use of Phonics and the need to memorize the "times tables." Also, only half of funded money was actually making it into the classroom. There is also peer pressure to underachieve.

Granted, but peer pressure to under-achieve is not the problem in Thailand. The problem in Thailand is culturally endemic, and pervasive throughout the entire system. I believe it was the Thai King~ Rama V, who attempted (unsuccessfully) to break that traditional "oligarchy" pattern of socially stratified education, in the late 19th. Century.

A small correction, but they weren't Chinese school kids, they were British school kids who studied under Chinese teachers using Chinese methods of teaching working in the same school as other school kids following the British style of teaching. Same curriculum for both groups. The students following the Chinese teachers beat their counterparts in all subject areas. The British teaching side were smugly confident that they would win and the Chinese teachers not only thought they would lose, but were fearful of how badly it would end. Their relief and pleasure at the end was palpable.

Contrariness, just for the hell of it, eh? Why not. This is a debate forum, afterall. Anyway, the OP (as I understood him) was not speaking from a westerner's point of view, but only as an academic. He made that point abundantly clear, in plain english. However, you do have a a valid point, re: the western systems falling apart. The reasons and the whys are very much in alignment with the OP's conclusion about Thailand.

The powers that be, do not want a mass educated population of people, who can think, independently. The days of people like Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and Abraham Lincoln are also Gone With The Wind.

Ah! Its our old friends, the powers that be.

A small correction, but they weren't Chinese school kids, they were British school kids who studied under Chinese teachers using Chinese methods of teaching working in the same school as other school kids following the British style of teaching. Same curriculum for both groups. The students following the Chinese teachers beat their counterparts in all subject areas. The British teaching side were smugly confident that they would win and the Chinese teachers not only thought they would lose, but were fearful of how badly it would end. Their relief and pleasure at the end was palpable.

Yup. My bad.. That's what I meant the British kids in the Chinese school section..

No need to have peer pressure here, with a no fail policy.

The Thai system can't fail, because it was never set up to succeed.

• 1 month later...

If you want an off-the-shelf Critical Thinking course the Scottish Higher and Intermediate 2/National 5 courses have a little Critical THinking course as part of them. Basically about twenty hours work forcing them to think.

All men die

Socrates is a man

Socrates will die

Valid

All dogs have skateboards

Kevin has a skateboard

Kevin is a dog

Invalid - Nobody said that only dogs have skateboards.

Never mind the Thais, most Europeans could use some critical thinking skills.

If I could be bothered I'd rewrite Lewis Carroll's book on logic and combine it with Anthony Flew's Thinking about Thinking, but I can't be arsed.

Everyone who can't be arsed will eat rice, chickpeas and fish straight from the pan

Craig can't be arsed

Craig will therefore.................mmmmmmmmmmmmm. tastylaugh.png

critical thinking is something that is not easy to teach to western students either. there is so much information out there, it takes time - mistakes - experience to build up good judgement reqruied for critical thinking.

not a defender of education here, since I find the kow towing to seniority and the lack of obvious ambition - or intent to shw to managers as spineless. but I know even when yuou've got your what would be called eperienced workers - those that have worked 5 + years in a job in west or her , they will not always understand that you expect them to have some critical thinking skills,

some managers too total lack , its nice to supply exec officers a deck with insert your comment here and empty bullet points so they actually carry out work on projects occasionally.

Visited 2 Schools in the last week. One last Friday kids playing games all day and turn up in what appear to be pajamas, the other on Tues well after lunch break 1.30 lots of kids just milling around and playing table tennis, basketball and football, no teachers about. Went to the Mall after, packed out at Major Cineplex with Schoolkids from various Schools, kids playing computer games at the internet places, food court full of kids. When do the lessons take place?

• 1 month later...

I try my best to instill discipline and respect for the subject material as well as fellow students. Even in the best time of my classes, I am constantly sabotaged by Thai, Filipino and other white teachers. Games, screwing about, endless amounts of free time, phones, excessive talking. It's a downward slide from M1 on.

My classes are endlessly interrupted by generally ridiculous, meaningless activities, camps, etc. In US most fun stuff are done as clubs after school, as it should be.

Next year I'm requesting only the very cream/best classes, I'll walk. Done wasting my time teaching.

• 4 weeks later...

Also what passes as Educational leadership or educational management is a farce as well. Did those dueling adm president wannabe resolve their issues or did the military insert someone as they are doing in certain areas of Thailand?

The biggest issue holding back education in Thailand is neither critical thinking or Asian-ness, such as face etc. Other south east Asian countries are doing better even though the Thais are dumping more money into it.

The issue at the root of all problems is political. The OP sees this even though some replies to it are distracted by side-issues and symptoms.

Whilst there's nothing new in the ops post, there is even less new in, "its just as bad in xxxxx country" posts, now if it were a xxxxx countries forum it would be relevant, but you know.............its NOT.

You tag teaming with sutaradit69?

(oh no i've replied to a 6+mth old post, damm i need some educations!)

The biggest issue holding back education in Thailand is neither critical thinking or Asian-ness, such as face etc. Other south east Asian countries are doing better even though the Thais are dumping more money into it.

The issue at the root of all problems is political. The OP sees this even though some replies to it are distracted by side-issues and symptoms.

Assessment out of the park, grand slam of insight..

Cheers Mate

In Europe, reading a book or newspaper on public transport is common, but it is rare here. TV news is extremely parochial. There seems to be no interest in or knowledge of world history, geography or literature, or of other cultures.

I have to laugh at the above from the original letter. When was the last time I saw a young person reading a book or newspaper on public transport in the UK? They are all looking at their phones, so same same. As for interest in history, geography, literature, other cultures, give me a break. The more I read the letter, the more it looks like a made up job.

Well, besides quality of teaching, IQ is a factor. So is home environment. John Ogbu and Mary Matute-Bianchi wrote about about the educational achievement of Spanish-speaking students from varying social groups. Here's the link: https://www.google.co.jp/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjAAahUKEwim5szEz8bHAhXJJZQKHdPjBNY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cwu.edu%2F~hughesc%2FEDBL514Syl_files%2FReadings%2FBeyond%2520language.pdf&ei=3Z_dVeaDBcnL0ATTx5OwDQ&usg=AFQjCNHqXJfPt_TjrJAuU-1qnh8k-62amg

There's no reason to believe that the sociocultural setting of the Thai students would not have a strong influence on their ability to learn.

Mary Matute-Bianchi is very sharp. She served as the rector of UC Santa Cruz for a while.

"There's no reason to believe that the sociocultural setting of the Thai students would not have a strong influence on their ability to learn."

Totally agree, my Thai (now adult) son grew up with lots of discussion at home and lots of encouragement to share his learning etc.

Today he does the same with his two young daughters. He monitors their homework every evening, helps without taking over where needed etc.

He also regularly gets his two daughters to discuss what they are currently learning.

One example: Recently he asked his eldest daughter 'what are you learning right now in science?' Answer: 'Electricity level 2.'

Son's quick response: 'Daddy doesn't really know very much about electricity, can you please explain it to me.' And he ensures his daughter can see he's listening.

He will often go further by saying 'Does that mean ..... ', knowing full well that he's given a wrong comment.

Son is careful to do all of this so that the kids feel comfortable and his daughter has no hesitation to say,' oh no, it means.....' .

Several times his work colleagues / old uni buddies have been at the house. They ask 'what are you doing? Then there's the usual comment, it's not your responsibility, this is her teacher's job.

Also, at home perhaps 60 / 70% of the time son talks to his two kids in English to ensure they are getting regular immersion in English listening and in conversation.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"Thai culture" is a codeword for how Thai's are educated.  it is very different from anywhere else.  it's also language feature related... as Thai, as most of us learn pretty quickly, is a spoken language.... but it's written system is unusually phonetically functionable.  there are no spaces between written morphemes... just as in normal speech there is not usually any audible pause (except the one our minds "hear" after becoming at all acquainted with the language)... but spaces make reading faster and easier etc etc.... there are 40 vowel symbols, but even though English has only 5... but 5 is faster to read and write than Thai... try it.. and it ain't because Thai is tonal.... so are others but they're writing system isn't. at all. English has almost exactly as many vowel sounds as Thai... and certainly not just 5!!!!  we are literate.  Chinese is the same and our language systems reflect that. it's almost too obvious. however.... 

one of the worst features of Thai Culture is that reading and writing is actually put down.  not just jokes.... but copying stuff... whether from a book or another students work.... is not only acceptable, which is the opposite even in places like the Phillipines where MVP still gets chastised for copying a few sentences from someone else in a speech he gave 50 years ago in college.... here copying demonstrates obedience and deference... and also pisses on IP.... teaching that doing your own thinking.. and writing on it... or from reading many perspectives... is actually a waste of time or stupid as someone else will just copy your work.... so do, copy and graduate... don't learn a wide perspective on things and don't do your own thinking.  just do.  wai.  conform.  obey.  it is really horrific for the children in this system. 

the "explanation" is that Thailand is a poor country, cannot afford books etc.  not.  PPP wise it's in the top 20 richest. hmmmm.....

yes, in the west some of our system is also concerned with indoctrination for sure.... but we also read and write and respect IP to a much higher level.. and don't "teach" to piss on it.  that is, students outside Thailand also need to comply with doing all kinds of "stupid stuff" (Noam Chomsky) to get high grades.... but we also learn to read and think.  this is what it means to enjoy life.  everywhere else reading competes with travel as the favorite pastime.... not just in the west and not just with the elites... but in Thailand it is not even in the top 5.

so drinking is.

it is called "Thai culture" but it is the Thai education system, and when it comes to words forget "education" being different... what about "student" and "teacher"? the meaning of these words is very very different here than anywhere else.  and everyone, especially the Thai, knows it. "student" is a young person who attends school,and very importantly, wears a uniform.  the uniforms are very important.  but in the west, we know and live by the idea such that it is an truism that "anyone who stops being a student never was a student".  here they never even begin.  

but changing something like this is almost impossible. and if it ain't been changed now it is very difficult to ever see it changing. what I think is sad, and many other long term expats.. is to see westerners in that system.  it's a stamp.  an ugly one.   

Archived