Prayut irritated by attacks on charter draft as vote nears

webfact

NEW CONSTITUTION
Prayut irritated by attacks on charter draft as vote nears

THE NATION

30267441-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday lashed out at some politicians for encouraging the National Reform Council (NRC) to vote down the charter draft.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva is the latest political figure to have openly slammed the draft, saying such a constitution would result in a "dual state" administration.The NRC is scheduled to vote on the draft on September 6.

Last week, former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the Pheu Thai Party also criticised the draft charter as undemocratic. Yingluck claimed it did not link up with the people and gave more power to unelected groups than to elected politicians.

Prayut called on the media not to cover remarks made by these politicians, saying they had failed to solve the country's problems but insulted his military-led regime, which he said was not fair.

"They should not have been allowed to make such verbal attacks. Many have court cases and have spoken out without fear. If they hit out at me, I must hit back. When they face legal action, do not scream that they do not receive justice," he said.

"Many said they would not run in an election. That is good. Keep a note on whoever said that. Keep your word," Prayut said.

Abhisit expressed concern over possible conflict and power tussles between the government and the planned National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Committee (NSRRC). He said the draft charter would allow this committee to take over the country's administration under some circumstances, thus causing a "dual state".

Conflict may arise from implementation of so-called reforms, Abhisit said. Although the draft says an elected government would carry out reforms, it did not specify what these would be, as that would depend on what the NSRRC decided.

"If the NRC passed the charter draft and a referendum were held, opponents of the draft could move against it and violence could erupt. If the draft passed a plebiscite, there would be a political struggle to amend the charter. How could this bring the country out of the vicious circle?" he asked.

Abhisit also disagreed with posing other questions in the referendum such as on having a national-unity government consisting of a broad coalition of parties, saying it would lead to confusion and conflict. "Having a national-unity government is not a solution. The root of the problem is abuse of power by the state and weak checks," he said.

"Please rewrite the charter. If we are going to spend an additional two to three months [working on it], that is not a problem. I do not want to run in an election and face chaos again," he said.

Meanwhile the commander-in-chief of the Royal Thai Navy, Admiral Kraisorn Chansuvanich, said he believed that the Constitution Drafting Committee had proposed the best constitution it could and denied that the draft aimed at continuing the power of the military's ruling National Council for Peace and Order.

Asked about criticism that the draft charter was undemocratic, Kraisorn said it depended who the criticism came from. "If people who have interests related to the draft do not like it, they may say it is undemocratic. But neutral people may find it good or acceptable," he said. Yingluck had urged the NCPO and NRC to accept criticism and review the charter draft.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-irritated-by-attacks-on-charter-draft-as-vo-30267441.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-26

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How dare people have an opinion in running their country. Dont you know we are superior beings and know what is best for us to maintain our power. Section 44 says I am always right and that everyone else is wrong. Accept that I am the chief buffalo and you are just my herd.

Spin the broken record dj !

Look, do you want anybody to have a vote or a say in things? If so, then be prepared for possible disagreements. If you are not going to give anybody or any agency any voting or review and change rights, then you have a 100% dictatorship.

Edited by gk10002000

so be fore there has even been an election Abhist is talking already about changing the charter and the difficulties that would involve as a reason to reject the current offering.

This is exactly why we had a revolt and collapse of the last government, it is exactly why every government has failed these last 20 years because every time a government is in office they want to remove barriers that will allow them to thieve and cheat, making this charter extremely difficult to change was a primary goal from the start and a very good one

Ask the most powerful man on the planet "The American President" how difficult it is to change or amend the constitution, in fact ask him how difficult it is to get a health bill through the senate and into law lol never mind the constitution

as for having a panel to keep an eye on the government - it seems that Thai governments cannot be trusted so having such a panel representing the peoples interests might just work - bodies like the courts AG DSI Police and NACC etc should have been doing it but it seems they can be all be politically manipulated so that hasn't worked, having a panel that step in and red card the government although not ideal might just work

It sounds like a good idea to me.

Let the kids(elected government) play in the sandpit and throw dog shit in each others face, but when the teacher (National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Committee ) blows the whistle playtime is over for today.

Look, do you want anybody to have a vote or a say in things? If so, then be prepared for possible disagreements. If you are not going to give anybody or any agency any voting or review and change rights, then you have a 100% dictatorship.

what he said was directed straight towards polititians from past and present and he is right, they had their chance for 30 years to work for a better good and got nowhere so shut your gob and let us try to make changes for the future that may just work

Abhist is already remarking on how difficult it will be to make charter amendments "SO IT (DELETED) SHOULD BE"

Let the kids(elected government) play in the sandpit and throw dog shit in each others face, but when the teacher (National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Committee ) blows the whistle playtime is over for today.

excatly, but rather than throwing DS as you put it they will be learning to work together for the country as a whole and not for themselves and getting on with government, they may not feel quite a powerful as before but will still be able to run the country effectively, remember that last government spent most of two years trying to push an amnesty bill through for one person and also managed to to break the economy at cost to the people of some 800billion baht, stellar ...right ?

excatly, but rather than throwing DS as you put it they will be learning to work together for the country as a whole and not for themselves and getting on with government, they may not feel quite a powerful as before but will still be able to run the country effectively, remember that last government spent most of two years trying to push an amnesty bill through for one person and also managed to to break the economy at cost to the people of some 800billion baht, stellar ...right ?

I think it unlikely that they will ever learn to work for the good of the country, as they have so ably proven time and again. Maybe the background presence of a "higher authority" will curb their natural excesses and reduce the amount of damage that they can do to the country?

You are allowed to have an opinion, as long as it's officially approved.

What's that word we are not allowed to use ?

I believe post#6 may have used that word, Dict, dic, I'm the boss of all of you word, bad boy, bad boy.

So now when it seems no one that wants this accept a few with interest's served by it the lil fell get irritated, Awwwwww.

And he's calling on the media not to report on any one that is opposed to the charter.

Also a Navy admiral say's when asked about criticism of the charter by some people saying it's not democratic, his answer? well that depends on who the person is,

<deleted>??? Regardless of "Who the person is" the point is that people don't seem to like it and saying so and why they don't like it.

Talk about set up to fail, but no surprises there, some would claim the plan is coming together quite well.

Now we wait for the SPIN KING'S, THE SHEIK OF TWEAK. Should be entertainingwhistling.gif

So the usual invitation goes out yet again to the regular few that just loves this lot and see's no wrong in them, C'mon guy's you know who you are, come out come out where ever you are, we'd love to hear what you have to say about the OP.

Cheers.

"They should not have been allowed to make such verbal attacks. Many have court cases and have spoken out without fear."

I agree, nothing worse than people speaking "Freely" without being afraid

But ...But....But Thaksin, red shirts, corruption , vote buying , self defense in 2010 , 7% Terrorists, rice scheme . Are all perfectly good reasons why people should be afraid to speak .......................Obviously

Edited by Spleen

so be fore there has even been an election Abhist is talking already about changing the charter and the difficulties that would involve as a reason to reject the current offering.

This is exactly why we had a revolt and collapse of the last government, it is exactly why every government has failed these last 20 years because every time a government is in office they want to remove barriers that will allow them to thieve and cheat, making this charter extremely difficult to change was a primary goal from the start and a very good one

Ask the most powerful man on the planet "The American President" how difficult it is to change or amend the constitution, in fact ask him how difficult it is to get a health bill through the senate and into law lol never mind the constitution

as for having a panel to keep an eye on the government - it seems that Thai governments cannot be trusted so having such a panel representing the peoples interests might just work - bodies like the courts AG DSI Police and NACC etc should have been doing it but it seems they can be all be politically manipulated so that hasn't worked, having a panel that step in and red card the government although not ideal might just work

Ehhh sorry to burst your bubble mate but the US has been breaking the constitution for years.

There's also a little thing call executive order.

And how many war's (military/police actions) have there been that didn't follow there constitution?

Thailand's last constitution was fine, needed some more work but basically ok, THAT'S why as soon as the PM took power away from the people he gave him and his partners in crime complete and full immunity, or you forget that little chest nut?

So you support a PM calling the media NOT to report on anyone that criticizes the draft charter? only those that support it have the right to agree, Yu'p that's freedom isn't it.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva is the latest political figure to have openly slammed the draft, saying such a constitution would result in a "dual state" administration.The NRC is scheduled to vote on the draft on September 6.

Last week, former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the Pheu Thai Party also criticised the draft charter as undemocratic. Yingluck claimed it did not link up with the people and gave more power to unelected groups than to elected politicians.

Abhisit hates it, Yingluck hates it, Thaksin and Suthep both hate it. Can't be all that bad if the people directly responsible for the mess in this country are all against it. I'm beginning to have a positive opinion.

That's the funniest thing I have read today. ;Working together for the country and not themselves;.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Obviously you do not understand politics and have been watching the 6pm daily drivel and believing it.

Ehhh sorry to burst your bubble mate but the US has been breaking the constitution for years.

There's also a little thing call executive order.

And how many war's (military/police actions) have there been that didn't follow there constitution?

Thailand's last constitution was fine, needed some more work but basically ok, THAT'S why as soon as the PM took power away from the people he gave him and his partners in crime complete and full immunity, or you forget that little chest nut?

So you support a PM calling the media NOT to report on anyone that criticizes the draft charter? only those that support it have the right to agree, Yu'p that's freedom isn't it.

hate to burst your bubble mate but you completely skewed my post

I said about the US amending the constitution not breaking the one that exists - two entirely different things

and if you read very carefully the PM did not call for media not to report on people with objections he specifically aimed that comment at divisive politicians who quite rightly should not have a say as all they have done these last 30 odd years is abuse power and thieve which this new system is aimed at stamping out - I agree with him

That's the funniest thing I have read today. ;Working together for the country and not themselves;.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Obviously you do not understand politics and have been watching the 6pm daily drivel and believing it.

firstly I have never watched one of the PM's Friday addresses but I do admire him for doing it, it is lot more than any elected government has done concerning informing the people, open and honest whether you like it or not

and I very obviously know more about Thai politics than you will ever know, if I had my way the past politicians would all be facing charges and jail time, they have done absolutely nothing for this country the past 40 years - check their bank accounts or rather don't bother you'll never find the ones that hold the loot

"We've listened to the people."

But since we don't like what they're saying...

As far as comedy sketches go, this Junta one never seems run out of humor.

They'll be here all decade, several shows daily with a weekly review on Fridays, tip your waitress.

what he said was directed straight towards polititians from past and present and he is right, they had their chance for 30 years to work for a better good and got nowhere so shut your gob and let us try to make changes for the future that may just work

Abhist is already remarking on how difficult it will be to make charter amendments "SO IT (DELETED) SHOULD BE"

"Abhist is already remarking on how difficult it will be to make charter amendments "SO IT (DELETED) SHOULD BE"

Yes, you saw how the junta struggled with changing the constitution when it took power!

Oh....wait a minute.

Look, I get why many are saying that since the elected politicians have done such a poor job over the last decades things need to change. Great, all for it.

But what on Buddha's green earth makes you think that the military will sort the country out?? They are unelected and in uniform - is this what makes them qualified? The have taken power 20-ish times since WWII and what exactly has this achieved?

Being dead set against the coup I still had hopes that Uncle Too could achieve something positive. Alas, it took him just a few days to quash those hopes.

"The root of the problem is abuse of power by the state and weak checks," - Abhisit

What are the checks against abuse of power by a military junta that has guided the draft constitution that he so vigorously challenges?

None really as juntas govern with absolute powers. But Abhisit seems okay with juntas governing the nation by foregoing democratic principles. Yet he complains the draft 2015 constitution can overrule any democratically elected regime.

Abhisit's complaints are all about his own quest for power.

He would have no objection to suppression of his opposition by any means if it puts him into power. But he finds it unfair that he could be unilaterally removed by an unaccountable junta "shadow" government.

Prayut could simply silence Abhisit by making him an honorary member of the NCPO, maybe an advisor on democratic affairs? But I doubt Prayut would trust Abhisit's loyalty anymore than he would trust PTP's loyalty.

Edited by Srikcir

"They should not have been allowed to make such verbal attacks. Many have court cases and have spoken out without fear."

I agree, nothing worse than people speaking "Freely" without being afraid

But ...But....But Thaksin, red shirts, corruption , vote buying , self defense in 2010 , 7% Terrorists, rice scheme . Are all perfectly good reasons why people should be afraid to speak .......................Obviously

"Are all perfectly good reasons why people shouldn't​ be afraid to speak .......................Obviously"