Saw 10 homes for sale on one Darkside street

Kaoboi Bebobp

There's a road, east of the railway bypass, linking Nern Pub Wan to Khao Noi. On the Khao Noi end, it's Boonsamphan 3/1. The linking road, maybe half a km long, starts right beside the PT gas station. It makes for a nice quiet, unimpeded walk, passing Chatkaew Hotel in the middle of a traffic circle to Khao Noi (Boonsamphan).

I hadn't done this walk in months until yesterday. I counted no less than 10 homes for sale, two of which also offered rental on the properties. They were all very nice, mostly small, neat, clean home/shophouses, and two or three were standalone two-storey homes. Many were empty. It had the feeling of an exodus. I walked onto Khao Noi and eastward around noon. Didn't see a single customer in all the restaurants or no one on the streets, except for the odd motorcycle. There was one foreigner restaurant, empty except for what I guessed was the owner, crouched over his laptop.

As I said, I walked it before but do not remember seeing more than a couple of For Sale signs. I recounted the homes on the way back. There were some signs entirely in Thai and they may very well have been for sale.

The reason could be people moved to the beach side of Sukhumvit to avoid the whole lengthy detour pain in the ass for the next three years. Or Thais and foreigner tenants simply up and left Pattaya or were forced to leave. In any case, it was very eerie.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

House sales seem very slow. There have been 6 houses for sale in our village of 40 houses for more than 2 years, some as long as 6 years. Maybe the sellers are asking too much, but I also think there is a glut of houses on the dark side as more and more villages are being built.

It is (a very low) low season. Would be interesting to see if the situation is the same come April/May......

I had an afternoon and evening wander on the Darkside last week and was surprised how quiet it was as it's usually an OK place for a wander/beer/chinwag in the afternoon yet there was nary a soul around....

A couple years ago I looked at a few houses that would be called row houses on the East Side... the first three were in established villages with a mix of farang and Thai families. What turned me off was the lack of building codes to keep home owners from adding on to the front of their houses...so at one time when the place was first built, the area must of looked like one of the architect drawings o, but 10 years later the neighborhood looked a mess with each house extending the 30sq meter outdoor area into a covered patio with various covers; or a room added to the front and all kinds of colors including purple. Then I went to look at a couple new villages on the East Side and the new area looked nice since it was brand new but I could not help but wonder what it would look like in a few years. So I asked for the village ordinance codes and the sales clerk looked at me if she never heard of such a thing...so I had the farang real estate head look into it and there was nothing in writing (though he tried to give me spin). So I decided a condo would be more quiet and one could at least sit on their balcony privately without the neighbor looking over the wall

Supply versus Demand. Relentless construction everywhere.

Or a 1 word answer "Over-supply" !!

But that's good. Will bring prices down.

Not much, they would rather see them sit empty than lower prices.

Dead right,my wife has had offers on two properties recently,both a fair price ,but the owners wanted way over,and the houses are still empty and will remain that way she also had what was a fair offer on a house but the bank would not lend a fair amount but only a low amount,so these are your answers I fear

A couple years ago I looked at a few houses that would be called row houses on the East Side... the first three were in established villages with a mix of farang and Thai families. What turned me off was the lack of building codes to keep home owners from adding on to the front of their houses...so at one time when the place was first built, the area must of looked like one of the architect drawings o, but 10 years later the neighborhood looked a mess with each house extending the 30sq meter outdoor area into a covered patio with various covers; or a room added to the front and all kinds of colors including purple. Then I went to look at a couple new villages on the East Side and the new area looked nice since it was brand new but I could not help but wonder what it would look like in a few years. So I asked for the village ordinance codes and the sales clerk looked at me if she never heard of such a thing...so I had the farang real estate head look into it and there was nothing in writing (though he tried to give me spin). So I decided a condo would be more quiet and one could at least sit on their balcony privately without the neighbor looking over the wall

We have a hedge on either side, we can't see them and vice versa. Some houses in our village have added extensions, but nothing outlandish or have bright colours. Prefer to live somewhere where I don't have to get permission to paint my front door.

Dead right,my wife has had offers on two properties recently,both a fair price ,but the owners wanted way over,and the houses are still empty and will remain that way she also had what was a fair offer on a house but the bank would not lend a fair amount but only a low amount,so these are your answers I fear

Sounds a bit like the mentality when I was in the market for a second hand car. My mates wife was selling hers and I asked her how much she wanted for it. She had owned it two years.

She said 180,000 baht. To justify this, she said she bought it for 150,000 but had spent 30,000 over the 2 years on new tyres etc. She wouldn't budge on the price. She still has the car of course. facepalm.gif

Its still the same as 10 years ago and the world over, location and correctly priced sell...in the boonies with 7 digits and more can forget about it. I still have clients waiting for condos in Baan Amphur that there is a waiting list for.

I pay 5000 baht rent a Month for a reasonable room , walking distance to everything, bars, restaurants, temples, beach, transport, Big C, etc.That's beach side of Sukhumvit. Paying Millions of baht to buy a house on the darkside doesn't make sense to me but each to his own.

No motorbikes needed, no taxis needed and it is quiet at night where I live. Now if they dropped prices on the darkside to reasonable levels then I might consider it. But anything over 1 Million Baht just won't do it for me. Not having to cross Sukhumvit everyday is a major consideration, they should reflect the prices accordingly.

There was a house we saw for sale and contacted the owner, whom we know. A well off Thai couple. It was listed at some 7M Baht and after our conversation, the village manager told us the price went up to 8. It's been 3 years now and the house still isn't sold, but is being rented out now (it was vacant for a year). And the price has gone up again.

Interesting that they called us recently and asked if we still wanted to buy. I guess they are hurting from the stock market crash. We were polite, but made a super low offer. Just to piss them off. LOL

True. Applies to rent as well. Probably for convoluted reasons.

I pay 5000 baht rent a Month for a reasonable room , walking distance to everything, bars, restaurants, temples, beach, transport, Big C, etc.That's beach side of Sukhumvit. Paying Millions of baht to buy a house on the darkside doesn't make sense to me but each to his own.

No motorbikes needed, no taxis needed and it is quiet at night where I live. Now if they dropped prices on the darkside to reasonable levels then I might consider it. But anything over 1 Million Baht just won't do it for me. Not having to cross Sukhumvit everyday is a major consideration, they should reflect the prices accordingly.

If you live the bar lifestyle a room is probably all you need, but for those of us who like a nice garden, a car, and something bigger than a shoe box to live in, a house is more suitable.

I can't imagine what sort of place you get for 5,000 a month. Who would want to spend their retirement years in something like that.

I can't imagine what sort of place you get for 5,000 a month. Who would want to spend their retirement years in something like that.

I agree. I bought my house here nearly 6 years ago, I wouldn't have lasted here 6 months if all I had was a small room to live in.

I cannot even imagine spending the last years of my life cooped up in a small room , i actually know someone who does because he cannot afford to pay more , tiny ,with no room to swing a mouse let alone a cat , also if you are married have familly it does get a little crampedsmile.png

no give me a nice detached house with large bedrooms ,

Plenty of houses for sale in (seemingly) all the moo baans on the brightside as well. Some houses in my moo baan have been for sale for years. As has been stated earlier it's probably a combination of unrealistic pricing and a lack of buyers.

What is the square metre and price range of the houses? That would assist in the reason they are still available.

Why? Too small, too big, too cheap, too expensive? There's a wide range of houses that aren't selling, probably more to do with a lack of buyers and a surplus of houses.

Where I live there is a large transient community. Many houses for sale/rent. It is has its up and downs as far as comfortable place to live. I have toyed with the idea of moving somewhere else, but the hassle of trying to sell, losing the convenience of its location has seen me sit pat for a while.

My permanent neighbor is probably the worst of the of the neighbors. She is loud, has a yapping dog and her outside kitchen is right outside my bedroom window where spends every waking hour being noisy.

Even her habits haven't pushed me into a selling/moving mindset. I am planning to completely block her out with a huge wall that will give me some peace and privacy. She will probably then!

Each to his own mate.A room/house is somewhere to sleep.The action is outside.

If you live the bar lifestyle a room is probably all you need, but for those of us who like a nice garden, a car, and something bigger than a shoe box to live in, a house is more suitable.

Sad, poor and lonely old men live in a room, everyone else wants more.

Selling our house in Chiang Ma. Had it appraised by 3 different Realtor companies to get good idea of what it was worth. All 3 came back with a figure of 4.2 - 4.5 million. Ok, listed it for 4.2. Six months later, and no interest I dropped it to 3.5, just to sell it so we can get something smaller. Had a man from BKK call and say he was interested, said he would be here next Saturday. He comes, looks it over, says he likes it, then offers me 2.75. I smiled and told him the price was now 4.5. He got pissed and wanted to know why I would insult him like that. I asked him why did he think he could insult me like that with his offer. But told him that if he really wanted it, I'd split the difference and he could have it for 4. He huffed and puffed and stomped away. Som nom na.

And, yes, it's still for sale. lol

Sad, poor and lonely old men live in a room, everyone else wants more.

You are all missing the point. The point is that if those houses on the darkside were on this side of Sukhumvit they would most likely sell. But you guys choose to buy in a location that others don't like, as I said up to you guys. There are many thousands of guys who are will to pay up 5 Million baht for a bedsitter (or pay rent like me) just to be near the water and walking distance to everything (places like VT 6, northpoint etc) A studio in such a location with never to be built out views will always sell. Houses in areas where people don't want to live won't sell easily.

Do not under estimate that terrible road Sukhumvit, this road is what most expats who I talk to complain about. They say the shopping is lousy on that side, two baht buses needed to come into town, wait first to fill them up. Choosing times when to come shopping just to avoid traffic, staying overnight here in a 500 baht room because they can't get home, too drunk to drive, rip off taxi motorbikes to go that side and then if they do drive here they get hit up for parking fees. All I'm saying is location is paramount, that is why they don't sell easily.