Deciding where to live - Wat Ket, Tha Salaa, San Sai or Hang Dong

stament

Been looking at areas to buy a place for so e time now and our line of thinking has changed a bit on location for various reasons.

We are currently renting in Nong Hoi close to 89 Plaza. We like the area and it's nicely located near the Lamphun superhighway which is good as our family live in Li and our children's school is Varee.

The availability of decent affordable housing in this area which meets our requirements is a bit limited so we've decided to look. Previously there was an absolute need to be on a songtail route as my wife doesn't drive but is no longer a priority hence Nong Hoi isn't seen as the ideal area for us now from a purely location and songtail standpoint.

Wat Ket and Tha Salaa I assume will be more than San Sai like for like as nearer to the city and inside super highway, well par of Salaa anyhow.

Not overly bothered about living on a mooban as most of the houses are very close to each other and hardly any garden. Would like a little bit of a garden.

I'm interested in members views on these areas, pros and cons as well as any particular recommendations. Price wise guess we are ideally talking around 3 to 4m as don't want to spend too much.

Important to be close to places to eat as don't want to have to get in my car all the time, my wife and I like the usual thai fare. A nearby market would be an added bonus.

A quietish and safe place would also be nice.

San Sai particularly appeals as the price of houses there seem considerably lower.

As usual welcome all members thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wat Ket: Central, no real need for a car, lots of entertainment/restaurants nearby but many are pricey, can be noisy on weekends and holidays, more expensive than the alternative - we lived there for seven years.

San Sai/Mae Rim: Twenty minutes to Promenada, you need a car, much quieter, much much cheaper than wat ket, micro climate abound hence different weather patterns, limited choices for restaurants/entertainment but some good ones do exist, it just takes time to find them. - lived here for one year and wouldn't go back.

If questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by chiang mai

I would say if your kids are going to stay at Varee School,that you

need to live in that area,moving to the other side of Chiang Mai,

would not be viable,unless you look forward to been stuck in

traffic trying to get the kids to school,and collect them 5 days

a week.

regards worgeordie

Worgeordie is onto something. Traffic congestion is only going to worsen, and that's a major quality-of-life issue for you and your daughter. Stick a pin in Varee, so to speak, draw a 5km radius (or whatever distance you prefer), and work from there. Pretty much every neighborhood and district will have something that meets your needs. 3-4 million is a very reasonable budget. Don't be put off by advertised prices. When you find a place you like, just make the owner a fair offer znd see what happens. Good luck!

slightly off topic, but hey what the hell I am the OP so if anyone can..... ;-)

I very often look on google maps for moo bans to see where they are located exactly, but unfortunately very often than not Mr Google fails to deliver. Does anyone know of any maps for CM areas say Hang Dong or San Sai Noi with the moo bans clearly marked.

I would say if your kids are going to stay at Varee School,that you

need to live in that area,moving to the other side of Chiang Mai,

would not be viable,unless you look forward to been stuck in

traffic trying to get the kids to school,and collect them 5 days

a week.

regards worgeordie

Anywhere to the South will work though, as you have the railroad road, and the soi that goes to Varee along the little stream from the Middle Ring. And from the Wat Ket area there is the soi past Gymkhana that ends up at along that same stream to the North of Aom Muang Rd. Both are doable. The major one that sucks would be coming in from the Sankamphaeng Area / Don Chan intersection.

i find hang dong to be kind of a budweiser and burger kind of a town. filled with expats who are frightened to live with Thai neighbours and need so be with other expats "all the time" Mae rim is filled with families who all claim that their children go to prem school

sansai is a good choice

slightly off topic, but hey what the hell I am the OP so if anyone can..... ;-)

I very often look on google maps for moo bans to see where they are located exactly, but unfortunately very often than not Mr Google fails to deliver. Does anyone know of any maps for CM areas say Hang Dong or San Sai Noi with the moo bans clearly marked.

Hang Dong is the dirtiest and noisest place to live in CM.

Aircraft noise 24/7

A big road building project along the railway, causing dirt, noise and disruption for the next 5 years or more.

DO NOT MOVE THERE.

You'll be sorry.

But I can understand current residents trying to talk the place up, they need some mugs in order to move elsewhere.

San Sai is very nice for us, but it would not suit you as songtaews are not readily available...nor tuk tuks. You would need a vehicle. The moat is only 15 minutes away by car....(we go down 1001 from the third ring road...past the second ring road..to the first ring road, hang a right, cross the river, left at tesco lotus and three kilometers straight down to the moat. Guess you want to buy...we rent a huge 4bedroom/4 bathroom "quiet and nice" , with landscaping for 5000 baht per month. Can walk from here to my wife's cafe/restaurant business. Extremely convenient...for us (we don't have children and we don't care for the old town very much). Only 5 minutes from the NewHome Pro, Rimpings, Raum Chok Market, Tesco, Central Festival, Gas Station..and plenty of places to eat out.

Moved to San Sai (yes big, 285 sq km) 5 yrs ago from San Kampaeng and couldn't be happier. As usual inside there are trade offs, no where to eat out decent unless I drive at least 20 min and it is 30 min to drive kids to school in Saraphi (ABS) as we live farther out by Mae Jo. But it's quiet country living and only 20 min to shopping/ dining (Rimping-Rumchok) and good schools just a bit more. Plus great Mt Biking access w/o having to go on big roads, 7/11 1 km away so really everything I moved to Thailand for, old world feel with modern conveniences.

We're finding an increasing number of new (very) good restaurants in and around Mae Rim, so much so that our need to go into town is minimal. A French/Swiss restaurant opened nearby quite recently and we tried it this week for the first time, the food was very high quality and nowhere near CM prices for similar - I now count six great dining venues within ten minutes of where we live.

Its not nice to tease, what's the name of the Swiss/French place pls ?

It's called Orfare, located in Mae Rim Plaza and doing very good business from what we can see - just along from Steak of the Day. Best part is they do great mix and match breakfasts which can be pricey if you're really hungry, definitely not a Mad Dog's look alike.

We're finding an increasing number of new (very) good restaurants in and around Mae Rim, so much so that our need to go into town is minimal. A French/Swiss restaurant opened nearby quite recently and we tried it this week for the first time, the food was very high quality and nowhere near CM prices for similar - I now count six great dining venues within ten minutes of where we live.

bang on c/mai , smile.png

in a few weeks time, out in beverly hills ,close to prem school

sam.s hideaway will be opening, biggrin.png lovely spot to enjoy a rural nose bag at very affordable prices

sam has in mind , to have relaxing weekend live music, plus free goodies to be won, for being a valued client at his graze

jungle chef and all beautiful maerimites please take note, smile.png

i find hang dong to be kind of a budweiser and burger kind of a town. filled with expats who are frightened to live with Thai neighbours and need so be with other expats "all the time" Mae rim is filled with families who all claim that their children go to prem school

sansai is a good choice

Yeh, San Sai is much better. Mae Rim has so many downsides can't imagine why anybody would touch it with a ten foot pole.

coffee1.gif

To be honest I never understood the mentality that suggests their own area was best AND that others were absolute crap, it's as though some people think they have a natural ability to detect such things from birth, silly really and wholly unecessary.

Edited by chiang mai

San Sai is very nice for us, but it would not suit you as songtaews are not readily available...nor tuk tuks. You would need a vehicle. The moat is only 15 minutes away by car....(we go down 1001 from the third ring road...past the second ring road..to the first ring road, hang a right, cross the river, left at tesco lotus and three kilometers straight down to the moat. Guess you want to buy...we rent a huge 4bedroom/4 bathroom "quiet and nice" , with landscaping for 5000 baht per month. Can walk from here to my wife's cafe/restaurant business. Extremely convenient...for us (we don't have children and we don't care for the old town very much). Only 5 minutes from the NewHome Pro, Rimpings, Raum Chok Market, Tesco, Central Festival, Gas Station..and plenty of places to eat out.

thanks for the reply, sounds good what area exactly? We would want to be the city side of san sai and within the ringroad. i think you must have missed a digit as surely cant be 5000 baht per month. song tails no longer an issue as my wife is learning to drive.

thanks for the reply, sounds good what area exactly? We would want to be the city side of san sai and within the ringroad. i think you must have missed a digit as surely cant be 5000 baht per month. song tails no longer an issue as my wife is learning to drive.

I didn't miss a digit. We pay 5000 per month for a fairly nice home with good yard and plants...quiet, good, decent neighbors.. really. We got lucky. The house needed some minor maintenance..and there is a situation that is favorable to us and to the owners....whereby we take complete care of it. We don't bother them. good people

We are 5 minutes from raum chok market. Across from raum chok, there is a tesco. We are on the road behind tesco..sign where you turn has a advertisement for Sausage King. We are a kilometer past sausage king. Nakorn Ping/city home subdivision...we are in Nakorn Ping. There is a 3 bedroom here right now for 7000 but not as nice as ours. Plenty empty places who may rent....my wife can help out. Have your wife stop by Udon Cafe just near where we live. It's her cafe.

Many homes for sale... I know a good one near us that just opened for sale... It is reasonable (less than 3 million..but you could negotiate). I would say 2.8 million. My wife is not a broker, but knows the people in the area and their situation...which is nice. As far as I know..there are no brokers involved.

Edited by slipperylobster

Mae rim is filled with families who all claim that their children go to prem school

sansai is a good choice

Yeh, San Sai is much better. Mae Rim has so many downsides can't imagine why anybody would touch it with a ten foot pole.

have been a beautiful maerimite for decade plus,sure i am biased to put maerim ahead of any district in c/mai , but E/S does not dislike any district to a extent to slag it ,as above

just poor miserable misfits who have.nt got a clue

a very happy afternoon to all , particular the beautiful maerimites,smile.png who are residing in a lovely district of c/maibiggrin.png

coffee1.gif

To be honest I never understood the mentality that suggests their own area was best AND that others were absolute crap, it's as though some people think they have a natural ability to detect such things from birth, silly really and wholly unecessary.

Of course if one chooses to live in sansai or hangdog or anyplace for that matter, we would naturally think that the area that we chose is the best for us and we've discounted the other areas for whatever reason. It doesn't mean that the other areas are crap, it's just not our cup of tea.

coffee1.gif

Of course if one chooses to live in sansai or hangdog or anyplace for that matter, we would naturally think that the area that we chose is the best for us and we've discounted the other areas for whatever reason. It doesn't mean that the other areas are crap, it's just not our cup of tea.

Exactly, it's only about personal preference, "ones mans meat is..." etc.

I would recommend San Sai or Mae Rim if it wasn’t for the OP's school commute. Both areas offer cheaper, more interesting housing and easy access to stuff without fighting traffic into and out of the city, but only if you can run your errands at off hours.

In the last month I have seen these 2 traffic situations more than once….Say you are heading towards town in the morning rush hour, traveling from the outer ring road (121) to the middle ring road on the Mae Jo Road (1001). The traffic at the Mee Chok intersection is backed up almost a kilometer and takes five light changes to get through. OR say you are traveling on the middle ring road from Promenada Mall towards the Mee Chok intersection at 11:00 AM. The traffic to turn right on to 1001 and head towards Mae Jo is backed up 500 meters onto the middle ring road (extremely dangerous) and the wait to get through the light can take 20 minutes.

Bottom line, test out the traffic. Many people who don’t commute in different areas can’t believe how bad the rush hour traffic is. I’m retired, but I know many people who work and a majority of them have moved in the last three years, trading nice houses and good landlords for a less grueling commute.

Whilst the traffic situation is bad, it's only fair to point out that the Mae Rim underpass has been under construction for a couple of years (I think) but will open next month (I think). That construction had pushed a lot of the commuter traffic onto other routes, particularly the Maejo road which itself is now also under construction works thus compounding the problem. It's fair to say that the local authorities have recognized the congestion problems and have acted to alleviate them.