90 day reports by mail.. stopping ?

LivinLOS

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods it is obvious the mail in still works for those who fill the forms in rite and include a self addressed envelop with them. Time to close this thread down as it is just going to spread the idea that it doesn't work no matter how many examples of it working are shown.

I'll be sending mine in in about a week and will wait for the result before closing. Doesn't hurt to have a bit more statistics on it. smile.png

Have you tried online reporting? You may be within the '8 day window' about now.

Online is a no-go (tried multiple times, every possible combination) for me due to having 3 passport changes and last entry into Thailand was in 1993. Since it appears they 'purge' the database records every few years, last report of resetting it was for 2013, no record of me in it. Would need to leave the country and re-enter to possibly use the system. Even then, the 1st 90 day report after coming back in has to be in person. So as long as mail in works, I'm happy enough. I am considering a vacation to Siem Riep maybe later this year though. smile.png

It makes one wonder why foreigners are even required to do a 90 day report. Over the last 7 years I have lived here, I have never heard a logical explanation from other expats or immigration officers. When immigration officers offered their opinions, it was difficult to keep a straight face since it was obvious they didn't have a clue either.

Out of all the options for doing the nonsensical 90 day report, doing this on computer makes the most sense, and of course showing up in person makes the least sense for expats and immigration.

Personally, I believe this 90 day rule was thought up to provide immigration officers something to do or create more employment opportunities, but they no longer need extra work that serves no purpose. If this requirement was thought up to harass foreigners, then it starts to make sense because it is certainly effective in that regards.

In the good old days the 90 day requirement to report,was on the books,

but no one bothered,as it was not enforced,immigration did not bother,

but then stricter rules started and it was again enforced.

I read that one reason that you have to report is,that if you are found

murdered,it will be easier for the police to find where you live!,or maybe

its just a method to control us,and is a nice little earner for the Government

if you forget to report.which I suspect many do.

regards Worgeordie

I know 2 guys who I worked with in Bangkok ,now retired, that have never reported in the 15 years + they have been in Thailand .Their theory was if you were not in the system no one would ever know.

I wasn't that brave and have been reporting for 14 years, at 4 times a year, 56 reports, a total waste of time,never been asked for proof of address or had a visit.

While there is no cost involved,unless your forget I really have never seen the point

.At least ,at the moment,you can do online or by mail but they stopped mail ins when i was in Bangkok and going way across the city chewed up best part of a day.

In the good old days the 90 day requirement to report,was on the books,

but no one bothered,as it was not enforced,immigration did not bother,

but then stricter rules started and it was again enforced.

I read that one reason that you have to report is,that if you are found

murdered,it will be easier for the police to find where you live!,or maybe

its just a method to control us,and is a nice little earner for the Government

if you forget to report.which I suspect many do.

regards Worgeordie

Thanks worgeordie, I never heard the "murdered reason" for reporting before. This is as nonsensical or maybe even more so than other reasons they have come up with.

It's too bad there isn't government officials conducting yearly audits at immigration offices, to identify problems and then provide solutions to these problems. These types of audits tend to stream-line government procedures and professionalize government agencies.

Posted mine in last Thursday and received new slip today....that's express service with a weekend in between. Optimists 1 Scaremongers 0.

Posted mine also last Thursday 17 Sept, for the first time,and had it back today.Send registered post.So it works!!

Posted mine in last Thursday and received new slip today....that's express service with a weekend in between. Optimists 1 Scaremongers 0.

Posted mine also last Thursday 17 Sept, for the first time,and had it back today.Send registered post.So it works!!

Posted mine last Saturday - 19th - and got new slip yesterday - 24th - ...it works !!!

Pity the online function does not appear to work as I tried it 2 times before using postal method. Each time I got a REJECT response...go figure ?

Bucklt

Yes!!! That makes perfect sense. Of course nobody gets murdered, most fly from balconies. But from the perspective of work for the best police in the world, no more questions asked biggrin.png

...that if you are found murdered,it will be easier for the police...