How to deal with our pesky rural neighbours

Genmai

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort it with your landlord, after that does not work, move.

Best bit of advice on here so far....... Fact is the local are taking the piss......and you, more over your Thai​ girlfriend should know better and deal with it, (you should stay out of it as YOU will cock it up, Sorry just a fact) she should be able to stop them coming onto your land....The Thai way.

I find it funny all the comments about you have to put up with it......They are taking the piss and you, (and girlfriend) are letting them. I live in a small Thai village and understand how it works, (to a point) what's happening at your rented house is not acceptable, even in a Thai village, and these cheeky gits know it!

I would like to add to 'Bill97's' post and say, first get your girlfriend, next time you have anyone on your land that shouldn't be there tell then to get off.... and stay off. Talk to the landlord, ask for his help, talk to the village chief (ผู้ใหญ่บ้าน phu yai ban;.... 'Gamnaan; literally "village elder") if he is any good and values you in his village he will defiantly sort it out.

One last thing........ Do you give donations to the local Wat? if you live in a Thai village this is something you should do if you want to get on and fit in with the village, The Wat is part of the village community, you don't have to donate a lot, locals give around 20 Baht a time, maybe once a month, so a few hundred won't hurt you, go with your girlfriend and talk to the head Monk, (your girlfriend knows what to do) You need to build some bridges before you start knocking some down.

And as said.....if it don't work........Pack up and leave.... You can't win them all.

Good luck

You want to get physical, you'd be leaving the area within the day, that's if you were not hospitalized, ask your GF to explain that Farangs are different and they will probably understand.

Forget the macho act.

Balls, I had a neighbour repeatedly come on my land, in the end I got a machete and waved it at him whilst running over my land to confront him.................never saw him again.

So you have no paperwork, no lease, no defined boundaries?

The solution is pretty clear - call the landlord and get clarification on exactly what you have leased.

The get the landlord to tell Somchai, the neighbor, that he can no longer set foot on where you have leased.

I'm failing to understand why you are making this so difficult for yourself.

...but if you do have no lease, you haven't paid anything in advance. If you get no satisfaction, pack up your Scoopy and leave...

this is rural Thailand, and if you can not accept the communal, "what your's is mine' rural culture here,

you need to pull out and live in town.

Except when you try to use their land as yours..

People take the piss, you dont need to go having a hissy fit, and this case does seem like one that would be better to be a bit slow, but people need to be told not to take advantage.

I would also say to the landlord, hey if I am paying for it, I want it, if hes using it, he can pay for it.

Personally, if I was hoping to enjoy this piece of land in the long term, I'd find a way to reach some kid of accommodation. IME when Thais have a conflict they tend to find some kind of intermediary to informally mediate the issue, I'd say this is probably your best bet.

Besides, cantaloupes are delicious! Look forward to the coming harvest and consult the guy about what YOU want to plant next. Make future garden plans over some beers, get him on board with you and you will be much happier there.

Option 1

Move.

Option 2

Pick everything he plants before it's ripe and sell or dispose of it.

Option 3

Buy some ducks and geese (or a couple of goats/pigs) and let them free range, they will eat everything he plants.

Here is 640 acres (1 square mile) for <2.75 million THB or 76,900 USD. http://www.landwatch.com/Pershing-County-Nevada-Land-for-sale/pid/318082180

cheesy.gif both of these posts are hillarious hehehe.

Cook something nice with the cantaloupes when it ripens and share with the community (mcfish) or just buy yourself a huge portion of land and live on your "island" (bangmai) LOLOLOL.

Sorry, I know this wasn't very helpful... but it WAS funny... in my mind at least... giggle.gif

Move back to BKK. If you put this much effort into some self-exploration that might help. Maybe move to an island. Get physical there with the other monkeys. You have issues and they have nothing to do with anything you said here.

Given your western attitude and your lack of social skills you are in for a very rude awakening.

I could write volumes, but.in short,

this is rural Thailand, and if you can not accept the communal, "what your's is mine' rural culture here,

you need to pull out and live in town.

With your attitude, you could get hurt, or even disappear.

The police could care less.

You will not win.

Cut your losses now and write it off to a lesson in Thai culture.

Be happy you are only renting and did not buy the land ( in your partner's name )

Choke Dee....( good luck )

I have to agree with him, you will just be in for more and more frustration and then maybe something much worse.

buy a gun and do some target practice next time you are home. that'll get some attention.

oh, and don't leave anything of value on any property if you are gone longer than 3 hours. in rural areas, thieves know better than you do how long you are gone, where you go, and what they can fence (sell for $).

Option 1

Move.

Option 2

Pick everything he plants before it's ripe and sell or dispose of it.

Option 3

Buy some ducks and geese (or a couple of goats/pigs) and let them free range, they will eat everything he plants.

Option 4

Don't be a dick.

Thank you all for your patience and your words of advice. I realise I have problems with people and I am doing my best to tread lightly in this situation. Without going into too much detail I can say that I can emulate most normal behaviours but it only works if I know what the appropriate patterns are. So far I've been polite, friendly and smiling with the people I find coming onto the land.

But it seems the general consensus is that as an outsider there is nothing I can do to stop people whom I don't know from coming onto the land and into the house that I am renting. If this is the case then I need to start looking for alternatives.

The reason we moved out here is so that we can be left alone to work quietly, not make any noise or bother anybody and grow our own food. I've had success doing this for several years in both rural New Zealand and Japan where people tend to respect personal boundaries and one could easily spend weeks without talking to another human.

What are the options for people who want to have that kind of existence in rural Thailand? To be left alone, undisturbed in the sticks?

Talk with your lady... Tell her that this gives you a headache...

Tell her you want to learn the proper words to talk with the people that annoy you...

Take your time to talk with them, take a few bottles of whisky with you and start blending in...

It takes time, but you'll get there...

I find it funny all the comments about you have to put up with it......They are taking the piss and you, (and girlfriend) are letting them. I live in a small Thai village and understand how it works, (to a point) what's happening at your rented house is not acceptable, even in a Thai village, and these cheeky gits know it!

Fully agree with the above. I live in rural village and without my permission they would never come to do anything on our family land. I have allowed them to cut some grass or collect it when cutting it down for animal feed (helps me to get rid of it). Years ago when we built the house some came wondering around our land and in no uncertain ways I told to my Thai family to tell them to stay away and I would ask them to visit if I would like to see anyone. It's been 5 years now and still no-one wondering around.

The landlords are close friends of the family so there is no contract or paperwork of any sort.

This.

So you rented and no paperwork = no rights whatsoever

And it's your GF / wife that has agreed to this arrangement?

I suggest you run. You are a fool and they are normally departed with their cash. Even in my own country I would not be gullible enough to "rent" something without any paper. The rent could be minimal for tax purposes but such document gives me rights. Rights to stay and use of land.

Loo another place. you are not respected at all. You are been used. I would also consider looking a new love since the one you have seems not to be interested protecting you or your rights. As far as I know it could be her land that we are talking about since you have not seen any papers...

Great answer! And in case the hint was too subtle, be sure to help yourself to those cantaloupes, masses of them, invite your friends to come load their trucks, because they're on the land you're renting legally. I'm sure the Thai neighbors would understand, as that's what they have done with your fruit, if I understand correctly. What could they possibly have to complain about? Oh, and be sure to thank them for planting your garden for you, Mighty neighborly of them. You were planning to plant truckloads of cantaloupes, remember? Then ask them how much you owe them for a couple of seed packets.

oh, also.... do unto others.../ one good turn.../ what's good for the goose... Get my drift??? Just casually stroll onto your neighbours property and plant your own garden, pick his fruit, mow his lawn... same same what he's doing to you... cheesy.gif

because they're on the land you're renting legally.

No, he isn't. He has no paperwork so the land owner could one day call the police to throw him out of the property. Actually, we don't even know who owns the property...and since no papers have been done, how and to whom is the rent paid to? More questions than answers. I would not agree to anything this vague...

The gullibility and feeling of entitlement of some never seizes to amaze me...

You said the landlord is a family friend. You also said the property has been unoccupied for a while, so he must be enjoying the income.

Talk to the landlord and get clarification on your property usage expectations. Maybe the neighbors have usage permission you are not aware of. If so; you will have to live with it or move. If not; ask the landlord intercede on your behalf. Maybe arrange a social sit-down with all the involved parties. If the landlord will not do this you have your answer.

My guess: you will need to accept the situation or bug out. Good luck as it sounds frustrating and (either way) it should not be allowed to fester.

SL

Tell the landlord it is you or them. Probably 10,000 other places in CM Province alone that would be what you describe. You didn't do your diligence before moving in.

I definitely wouldn't recommend that. If they've been using this land for a number of years, they may very well have more rights to it than he does. Thai property law is not the same as Western

You want to get physical, you'd be leaving the area within the day, that's if you were not hospitalized, ask your GF to explain that Farangs are different and they will probably understand.

Forget the macho act.

Balls, I had a neighbour repeatedly come on my land, in the end I got a machete and waved it at him whilst running over my land to confront him.................never saw him again.

Of course you did.....rolleyes.gif

Forget the macho act.

Give 'em an inch, they'll steal a mile. Tried being friendly with similar types. Doesn't work.

Forget the macho act.

Again, i see what u mean by broken record

Tell the landlord it is you or them. Probably 10,000 other places in CM Province alone that would be what you describe. You didn't do your diligence before moving in.

I definitely wouldn't recommend that. If they've been using this land for a number of years, they may very well have more rights to it than he does. Thai property law is not the same as Western

You are talking about "squatter's rights," and they are addressed in the East and West. My brother loves to hunt. They were always looking for new places to obtain the required written permission to hunt. Inevitably, someone would leave garbage, bring other friends, or blatantly violate Fish and Game regulations. Then, everyone would lose their privileges. After about five iterations of this, he shelled out 8 million THB and bought 320 rai. It took him about a year to get things sorted, but he was amazed at how many people assumed they had a right to walk his property with a 30 x 30 and hunt deer, at their leisure. He would approach people and tell them he was the new owner, and the response was "well, we've been hunting here for years," or "Mr. Johnson always let us hunt here." It's just part of the renter/trailer park mentality to disrespect property rights. He took a few photos of their vehicles, gave them notice that they had been recorded, and put up a few signs....no problems in 10 years. At times, you got to be the "bad guy," but that's the way it is. And the give an inch saying is still alive and well.

Sometimes a simple reminder of what their new neighbors will look like gets them in line. But, you won't have that option, as a renter.post-227967-0-77139300-1440771178_thumb.

Archived