Survey: Americans would much rather exercise than eat right

webfact

Survey: Americans would much rather exercise than eat right

BOSTON, MA - Americans are doing a great job at the gym but a mediocre job at the dinner table. Even though science suggests diet is more important than exercise in fighting obesity, diet is losing, and losing badly, to exercise.

That's according to a new Brodeur Partners Health and Wellness survey finding that while 57 percent of Americans say they are daily or frequent exercisers, only 46 percent eat healthy foods daily or frequently.

And while 24 percent of respondents said they exercise every day, only 9 percent eat healthy foods that often.

Exercise and eating right are important health practices given that one in three Americans are obese, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"The good news is a lot of Americans are getting active," said Brodeur Partners CEO Andrea Coville, author of Relevance: The Power to Change Minds and Behavior and Stay Ahead of the Competition. "The bad news is that our appetite for healthy foods – one of the best ways to sustain a healthy weight – appears weaker. The disparity could be an issue of willpower, marketing, education, food availability or a combination. Whatever the case, this insight is a potentially valuable one for organizations devoted to health care, wellness, nutrition and fitness."

The Brodeur Health and Wellness survey is based on online interviews with 542 adult Americans in June. It covered not only diet and exercise, but workplace wellness and wearable fitness trackers. The survey is the latest installment of Brodeur's ongoing behavioral science research, a basis for the communications programs Brodeur Partners develops for its clients.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/63091/survey-americans-would-much-rather-exercise-eat-right

-- eTN 2015-08-28

Diet is definitely more important than exercise when it comes to health and weight control, but most folks everywhere seem to have that backwards. Sure, eating is a pleasurable activity, but just like drinking, moderation is required. pedro01 can have his steak and merlot, but should cut back on it when the tummy starts to appear.

While the U.S. has an amazing number of obese people, it also has a high number of healthy eaters. I've never seen so many strict, healthy eaters as I have in the States. I don't doubt that such healthy eating is connected to an awareness of all the fat folks. Definitely a land of extremes, though the fat folks clearly outweigh the health ones, in numbers and on the scale.

I'm guilty! Yes, I've always felt that I could eat whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted, as long as I exercised. And it was fine...until I got older. So now...I'm still eating whatever I want, as much as I want, and exercising. Only I'm getting a little rounder in the midsection.

I can have fun exercising but not so eating healthily. If healthy food tasted remotely nice to me I would eat it but it doesnt.

Many awesome "J" (vegetarian) restaurants and stalls in Thailand. Some expensive, but most very cheap. Delicious and healthy! licklips.gif