Radar detects object believed to be missing Nazi gold train

Lite Beer

Radar detects object believed to be missing Nazi gold train
MONIKA SCISLOWSKA, Associated Press

WARSAW, Poland (AP) — A Polish official said Friday he has seen an image made by ground-penetrating radar that seemed to prove the discovery of an armored Nazi train missing in southwestern Poland since World War II.

Local lore says a German train filled with gold, gems and armaments went missing around the city of Walbrzych while it was fleeing the Red Army in the spring of 1945. Fortune-hunters have looked for the so-called "gold train" for decades, and in the communist era, the Polish army and security services carried out apparently fruitless searches for it.

During the war, the Germans built a system of underground tunnels in the mountainous region of Walbrzych and the city of Wroclaw, from where the train is believed to have departed. The area was German territory at the time, but became part of Poland when the war ended.

Recently, a Pole and a German, acting through lawyers, told local authorities they had found an armored train with valuables in a disused tunnel and demanded a financial reward.

Deputy Culture Minister Piotr Zuchowski told reporters the lawyers had been informed the train was over 100 meters (109 yards) long and called it an "exceptional" discovery.

He said he was shown an image — albeit blurred — from a ground-penetrating radar that showed the shape of a train platform and cannons, and added he was "more than 99 percent certain that this train exists."

"We will be 100 percent sure only when we find the train," Zuchowski added.

The World Jewish Congress said that any gold, precious stones or other valuables that might be found could have been looted from Polish Jews by Nazi officials during the war and should be returned.

"To the extent that any items now being discovered in Poland may have been stolen from Jews before they were sent to death, concentration or forced labor camps, it is essential that every measure is taken to return the property to its rightful owners or to their heirs," the organization's CEO, Robert Singer, said in a statement. "We very much hope that the Polish authorities will take the appropriate action in that respect."

Walbrzych regional authorities will conduct the search, using military explosives' experts, in a procedure that will take "weeks," Zuchowski said.

A person who claimed he helped load the gold train in 1945 said in a "deathbed statement" the train is secured with explosives, Zuchowski said. The person, who was not identified, had also indicated the probable location of the train, he said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-29

70 years & 2 or 3 generations later, it didn't take long for The World Jewish Congress to step in and make a claim for the Gold.

It will be fun to watch them all fighting over it, before it has even been recovered. Hope fully the Germans had melted down already so they won't be fighting over who owned each earing & filling discovered, if this does turn out to be the real thing.

On the other hand, there may well have been a number of people that knew the location, and went back to get the goods years ago.

The jews and decendents of wealthly polish merchants will be crawling out of the woodwork before they even confirm its the real thing.

Two people claim to have found it and want a finders fee, but no the governments officials in the country of this claimed discovery are going to spend public money to do a search instead of agreeing to pay a finders fee to a couple of treasure hunters. People sometimes really ruin my faith in their intentions, as the groups heard from so far seem to be wanting something of montary value in which they have made no personal effort or investment.

And a another invasion of Poland in 3 , 2 , 1 ....

The Russians barely missed capturing the train maybe they have a claim as almost but not quite. Their economy could sure use a financial shot in the arm. Its hard to believe something of this size has remained hidden for so long. It needed tracks to enter the tunnel so they must have dismantled the tracks after blowing up the tunnel entrance. With the amount of people involved its hard to believe the secret was kept intact all these years. As the dying man stated the train is rigged with explosives and they are going to use explosives to expose the train should be interesting. I am an avid treasure fan and had a metal detector back in my younger days when I could easily get down on one knee to dig. After I retired I bought a water machine and found some neat stuff. England really has the history and some really old stuff has been uncovered there. Even though findings are state property they must offer you a fair cash equivolent.

Train full of gold found after 70 years. Would certainly make a good film.

I fully agree and I think you will see Discovery or the History channel onsite filming the whole thing from beginning to end. Should be exciting. Not many stories like this left in the world.

70 years & 2 or 3 generations later, it didn't take long for The World Jewish Congress to step in and make a claim for the Gold.

It will be fun to watch them all fighting over it, before it has even been recovered. Hope fully the Germans had melted down already so they won't be fighting over who owned each earing & filling discovered, if this does turn out to be the real thing.

On the other hand, there may well have been a number of people that knew the location, and went back to get the goods years ago.

Yes I agree a lot of people were involved. If the entrance was dynamited closed they would have had to go to a lot of work to gain entry as they are talking about using controlled explosions to gain access.

God I hope neither Discovery nor NatGeo get the rights.

We'ed never get to the end with all those commercial breaks

And certainly not Hollywood. They'ed re-write the whole story with Americans finding the gold

No, I good documentary please.

And by the way, the gold is mine! All mine!

There was one,,, Along those lines anyway,,, "Monument Men",,, True story... done pretty well,,, I'm guessing IF this is actually it?,,,, It'll have the still missing,, "Amber room".... amongst other such rare, rare pieces,,, I LOVE this stuff,, ;)

The jews and decendents of wealthly polish merchants will be crawling out of the woodwork before they even confirm its the real thing.

Two people claim to have found it and want a finders fee, but no the governments officials in the country of this claimed discovery are going to spend public money to do a search instead of agreeing to pay a finders fee to a couple of treasure hunters. People sometimes really ruin my faith in their intentions, as the groups heard from so far seem to be wanting something of montary value in which they have made no personal effort or investment.

There was a similar type thing,, The USS, "Central America",,, went down in 1800's, LOADED with freshly minted US, $20 gold pieces, MINT condition literally,, belonging to gold prospectors returning to the east coast, and elsewhere from California... A treasure hunter attempted to involve several insurance companies, in a salvage effort, as they had paid out claims to those that lost,, ALL refused,, So he mounted the effort with private investors,, FOUND it,, at which time, the said insurance companies of COURSE made claims on it in courts,,, the courts threw them all out,, only allowing about 10% to all the companies involved since they'd been given the option in the first place, but refused,,, ALWAYS loved that,,, lololol

There was one,,, Along those lines anyway,,, "Monument Men",,, True story... done pretty well,,, I'm guessing IF this is actually it?,,,, It'll have the still missing,, "Amber room".... amongst other such rare, rare pieces,,, I LOVE this stuff,, wink.png

Thanks for that adeeos , I will see if I can find out more . Real Clive Cussler stuff. Many years ago I heard about crates of American bikes ( Harleys ? ) that were buried in BoveyTracy ,Devon as they arrived too late for D Day . I just love this stuff.

There was one,,, Along those lines anyway,,, "Monument Men",,, True story... done pretty well,,, I'm guessing IF this is actually it?,,,, It'll have the still missing,, "Amber room".... amongst other such rare, rare pieces,,, I LOVE this stuff,, wink.png

Thanks for that adeeos , I will see if I can find out more . Real Clive Cussler stuff. Many years ago I heard about crates of American bikes ( Harleys ? ) that were buried in BoveyTracy ,Devon as they arrived too late for D Day . I just love this stuff.

Just been looking at The Monuments Men , looks to be a very good film.

And a another invasion of Poland in 3 , 2 , 1 ....

The Russians barely missed capturing the train maybe they have a claim as almost but not quite. Their economy could sure use a financial shot in the arm. Its hard to believe something of this size has remained hidden for so long. It needed tracks to enter the tunnel so they must have dismantled the tracks after blowing up the tunnel entrance. With the amount of people involved its hard to believe the secret was kept intact all these years. As the dying man stated the train is rigged with explosives and they are going to use explosives to expose the train should be interesting. I am an avid treasure fan and had a metal detector back in my younger days when I could easily get down on one knee to dig. After I retired I bought a water machine and found some neat stuff. England really has the history and some really old stuff has been uncovered there. Even though findings are state property they must offer you a fair cash equivolent.

I too had a metal detector , left it behind when I came out here. Never found more than a few huge ships nails and coins but great fun on a cold Sunday afternoon. Waste of time owning one here.

Give it all to Israel if they agree not to require other countries to support them any more.

The FED probably put it there a couple of months ago so they could repatriate German gold reserves without losing face. Lol

I have a metal detector, I go around to places that have fairs,after the fair is gone

find all kind of neat stuff,best find was a 5tb gold neckless,wife was real happy with that find

Where I can find a list of all the fairs in Thailand?

I have a metal detector, I go around to places that have fairs,after the fair is gone

find all kind of neat stuff,best find was a 5tb gold neckless,wife was real happy with that find

Obviously you handed it in to the Local police station to be claimed by its rightful owner,

And they announce this publicly? Every treasure hunter, mafia, mercenary will be heading to that location!

the area is huge, about 30 Km2, the entrances of complex "Riese" were about 6 Km apart, and accesses to the tunnels have been sealed by the soviets with hundreds of tons of dirt.

I don't think anyone without support from authorities can gain access.

Give it all to Israel if they agree not to require other countries to support them any more.

No amount of money or gold in the world will ever kill off Judeophobia. coffee1.gif

Off-topic posts removed. This is the World News Section, so not restricted to Thai subjects. In addition, there are numerous topics running about US presidential candidates. Please feel free to put relevant comments in those topics.