Tourist visa then retire in Thailand

Come the 31st of December this year, I plan to travel to Thailand with the intention of living there for good. Therefore my end goal is obtaining a Non-Immigrant O Visa (purpose, retirement)

What's the best way should I approach this process?

October I will be 50 years old

I have 800,000 Baht in the Thai bank

I currently work in the Philippines, which will probable finish in December.

What type of visa should I apply for in manila before i fly to Thailand in December?

Tourist Visa, I think this will give me 60 days, then a 30 day extension at which point I could apply for my Non-Immigrant O Visa

or

Non-Immigrant Visa Which i know very little about

Another option is:

November I'm flying to New Zealand for a week to visit family and friends.

I have two passports, Australian and New Zealand

I could also apply for a Thai visa in New Zealand, ie post my application with my New Zealand Passport and get my family to re-forward it to me by post to the Philippines once approved.

any thoughts?

hopefully I have given enough information

You will require a non immigrant O visa entry to apply for retirement extension of stay so it is best to obtain that if Embassy will issue (you will have to be age 50 and not all will issue) - tourist visa would require you convert while in country most likely in Bangkok at an additional cost of 2,000 baht plus required documents (bank deposit letter). Doable but an extra step - even visa exempt entry could be used but need at least 15 days remaining when making conversion.

You should try to obtain a single entry non "O" visa before leaving the Philippines.

If that fails you can arrive on a tourist visa. It is possible to "convert " a tourist visa entry to a non "O" entry but only in Bangkok . If you attempt to do this you must have at least 15 days "permission to stay" remaining and two visits to immigration will be required.

In my opinion you would be best advised to obtain the "O" visa from Vientiane or Penang.

The "O" visa will permit a stay of 90 days. During the last 30 days you should apply for an "extension of stay based on retirement"(This is not a visa)

If any travel is planned during the extension of stay a re entry permit should be obtained.

Edited by nowretired

Thanks lopburi3 and nowretired

I like the idea of obtaining the non "O" visa before leaving the Philippines,

providing I don't need to obtain a doctors report and police clearance. I'm not saying that i'm a criminal or with health issues, it's just a lot of hard work obtaining these while overseas.

I'll give the Thai Embassy a call next weeks and find out the requirements

also, I like the idea of visiting Vientiane as i could spend a couple of weeks touring about Loas.

If I decided to just enter Thailand on a visa on arrival (30Days) could I just do what you recommended nowretired? ie before my visa expires, I head over to Loas and apply for an "O" visa from Vientiane.

"The "O" visa will permit a stay of 90 days. During the last 30 days you should apply for an "extension of stay based on retirement"(This is not a visa)"

I did this but understood that it was not more than 30 days but not less than 15 days left when applying for the extension of stay. Has that changed?

"The "O" visa will permit a stay of 90 days. During the last 30 days you should apply for an "extension of stay based on retirement"(This is not a visa)"

I did this but understood that it was not more than 30 days but not less than 15 days left when applying for the extension of stay. Has that changed?

I think you are confusing the issue with something you read elsewhere.

There is no 15 day "rule" unless you are talking about "converting" a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to an "O" visa entry.

Most immigration offices will accept and process applications for an extension of stay during the last 30 days of a " permission to stay " period. A few offices will process application made during the last 45 days.

An application can be made on the last day of stay if someone thinks that would be a good idea!

Thant's good news that a police and medical certificate isn't required when applying in Manila.

But How do I prove I have 800,000 in the Thai bank when i'm in the Philippines?

However, having said that, in November, after going to New Zealand for a week, I plan to spend two weeks in Chiang Mai. Maybe I can get my Bank book updated, or get a letter from the bank. then when i return to the Philippines, i can then apply for the visa

Money would not need to be in Thailand for obtaining a single entry O visa - if required at all. But most Embassies do not issue such visa for retirement reasons and want you to apply for O-A visa which does require the funds and medical. But not being a resident of Philippines they may allow issue - and for sure Consulates in Laos will issue.

• Like 1

Thant's good news that a police and medical certificate isn't required when applying in Manila.

However, having said that, in November, after going to New Zealand for a week, I plan to spend two weeks in Chiang Mai. Maybe I can get my Bank book updated, or get a letter from the bank. then when i return to the Philippines, i can then apply for the visa

You don't have the bank book associated with the account ?

If not the Embassy might accept evidence of funds in a local bank.

Check with the Embassy as to their exact requirements.

What I ment was, I haven't updated my BankBook for about three or more months as i just use the ATM card. So if I just update that, it may do.

I have no bank accounts in the Philippines

Yes, you are right, Probable best I call the Embassy and find out the requirements, nothing on their website

You don't have the bank book associated with the account ?

If not the Embassy might accept evidence of funds in a local bank.

Check with the Embassy as to their exact requirements.

Update

I phoned the Manila Embassy this morning and asked about applying for a Non-Immigration Visa

The reply was that they don't do an Non-Immigration Visa, but will do a tourist Visa, which will give me two months he said

what i need is:

Hotel reservation, No problems, i can book that on line and cancel once I have the visa. (I have my own condo)

Bank Statment, As long as it has over a thousand dollars. I could printout both an Australia statement and a Thai statement, will be over a thousand there

Airline tickets in and out of Thailand

Fee, 1,450Php (1,120 baht)

smile.png

Seems straight forward enough for me,

My goal, to obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa (purpose, retirement)

​I would like to get a multi entry visa

As I understand, please correct me if i'm wrong,

I can apply for an extension of my tourist for another 30 days once my tourist 60 day visa runs out

Then apply for a visa for a Non-immigrant O Visa (Retirement) which will last 12 months

and all can be done in Thailand (Chiang mai)

That Embassy is very strict but the only game in town. If you can do a conversion (2,000 baht) within 15 days to non immigrant O entry (proof of 800k in bank and over age 50) I would just spend the time in Bangkok to do that and forget the tourist visa and enter visa exempt for normal 30 days - once you have the non immigrant O entry you will have another 90 days to settle down and during the last 30 days of that entry you visit immigration to request a one year extension of stay (1,900 baht) and if you plan travel a re-entry permit (1,000 or 3,800 baht multi entry).

Thanks lopburi3

​From what you are saying, I arrive into Thailand as normal and obtain my 30 days tourist visa.

​Then, after a couple of weeks​ (Or maybe straight away), I head down to immigration in Bangkok and apply for a Non-Immigration O visa. (90 days)

Then apply for the visa extension for 12 month.

That sounds like an other good option

Can I do this in Chiang mai? or only in Bangkok. I think I read somewhere that i had to go to Bangkok.

But I think it could be cheaper if i obtained my Tourist Visa in the Philippines, then apply of an Non-Immigration O visa. (90 days) the the 12 month extension, if I factor in the cost of extra flights and accommodation

​Or maybe I have misunderstood something here

• Like 1

It would be cheaper to enter on visa exempt as no payment for tourist visa which is not needed. If you must use Bangkok for conversion you would have the option to visit Laos for the non immigrant O visa and get some travel in at the same time. Tourist visa gains you nothing but extra time - which with account already opened you do not need.

• 1 month later...

Time is getting closer for me to apply for a tourist Visa for 60+30 days, which will lead me to eventually apply for a retirement visa while I'm in Thailand (Chiang mai)

is there an advantage to apply for a 30day tourest visa from my home land (New Zealand) appose to getting one in the Philippines?

I'm thinking from the angle when eventually applying for a retirement visa while I'm in Thailand before my tourist visa runs out

I will have the required deposit (800,000) in the bank for 3+ months and I'm over 50 years old

You cannot change from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa entry that is needed to apply for a an extension of stay in Chiang Mai. It can only be done at Bangkok immigration and it requires 2 trips 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamp.

From CM it might be best to make a trip to Vientiane or Penang to get a single entry non-o visa.

Applying for a tourist visa that will give a 60 day entry would be the same in NZ and Philippines.

If you are going to be in NZ you might want to check with the honorary consulate about the single entry non-o visa.

Royal Thai Consulate-General
Address: Level 5/18 Shortland St, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Phone:+64 9-373 3166

Thanks lopburi3 and nowretired

I like the idea of obtaining the non "O" visa before leaving the Philippines,

providing I don't need to obtain a doctors report and police clearance. I'm not saying that i'm a criminal or with health issues, it's just a lot of hard work obtaining these while overseas.

I'll give the Thai Embassy a call next weeks and find out the requirements

also, I like the idea of visiting Vientiane as i could spend a couple of weeks touring about Loas.

If I decided to just enter Thailand on a visa on arrival (30Days) could I just do what you recommended nowretired? ie before my visa expires, I head over to Loas and apply for an "O" visa from Vientiane.

When I read NOWRETIRED post I was thinking ....yes really good reply. Then late the OP response re liking the idea of travel to Udon confirmed it. Come to los visa exempt . During the 30 days take a holiday in udon or Vientiane. Obtain your non imm o. Easy process. Minibus back to udon. Have another beer. Welcome to los.

I only mention Udon Thani because cheap flights there with airasia and easy to access loas.

Edited by jacksam

I've been doing some more reading up on "O" visas,

from what I have read, "O" visa is usually for an extended period such as 12 months.

However, I have heard people talking about a 90 day "O" visa, is there such a thing or are they just getting confused with the tourist visa?

I've been doing some more reading up on "O" visas,

from what I have read, "O" visa is usually for an extended period such as 12 months.

However, I have heard people talking about a 90 day "O" visa, is there such a thing or are they just getting confused with the tourist visa?

Yes, a single entry O visa is good for a 90 day stay. That's what I originally entered Thailand on before starting with a series of annual retirement extensions.

• Like 1

There are single entry "O" visas which provide a 90 day entry which can then be used to secure an "extension of stay based on retirement" by application at an immigration office.

One year "O" visas are multi- entry visas allowing 90 day stays but these are not available for the purpose of retirement.

There is then the O/A (long stay) visa obtainable from your home country........ detail in the link

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/form/Long%20stay%20Visa%20O-A%20(5)%20updated%20020114.pdf

The reply was that they don't do an Non-Immigration Visa

Your experience with the Manila Embassy is not surprising

There have been many reports here at Thai Visa about that Thai Embassy being especially difficult to deal with and currently their website is down

Yet they provide applications and instructions for an "O" visa here:

http://www.thaiembassymnl.ph/images/stories/file/visa-application-form.pdf

There are also several "commercial" websites that state that they issue Non-Immigrant visas. Here is one that lists another email address you might try:

http://embassyguidephilippines.com/embassy/thailand-embassy/

Thanks for all the feed back

Tomorrow I'll give both the New Zealand and the Manila Embassy a call and see if I can apply for a 90 day Non immigration Visa. It would be easier and less cost for me if I could get this from the Philippines out of the two options.

The other updated option is to just obtain a visa on arrival as normal (Tourist visa 30 days), the almost straight away, head down to Bangkok immigration and apply for a 90 day non immigration visa, this seems to be the cheapest option but the negative is the travelling from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

(Probable take a morning flight and then taxi to immigration, shouldn't cost to much)

Time line: Arrive in Bangkok on the 30th December, need to get to bangkok immigration before 21 days of expire date. (9th December)

(knowing my luck, Xmas holidays and closed for 2 weeks)

Tomorrow I'll give both the New Zealand and the Manila Embassy a call and see if I can apply for a 90 day Non immigration Visa. It would be easier and less cost for me if I could get this from the Philippines out of the two options.

The other updated option is to just obtain a visa on arrival as normal (Tourist visa 30 days), the almost straight away, head down to Bangkok immigration and apply for a 90 day non immigration visa, this seems to be the cheapest option but the negative is the travelling from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

(Probable take a morning flight and then taxi to immigration, shouldn't cost to much)

Time line: Arrive in Bangkok on the 30th December, need to get to bangkok immigration before 21 days of expire date. (9th December)

Be aware that "Converting" a visa exempt (not a tourist visa) entry to a "O" visa entry requires two visits to Bangkok immigration !

You may find it easier to obtain a single entry "O" visa in Vientiane, Laos.

Edited by oncearugge

Forget about the Thai embassy in Wellington they will only do a OA visa for you since you are a NZ citizen. Contact the consulate in Auckland I posted contact info or earlier.

If you have no luck getting the non-o before arriving you might find it easier and perhaps less costly is fly domestic to Udon Thani and then go from there to Vientiane for the non-o. Then fly from Udon Thani to Chang Mai. Nok Air has a fly/ride service to Vientiane via Ucon Than from Don Mueang and Vientiane to Chiang Mai.

Just an update

Just got off the phone with both the consulate in Auckland and the Thai embassy in Wellington, I cannot get a non-immigrant O visa single stay visa, it has to be a long stay retirement visa or a tourist visa.

(if I had a Thai wife/child then i could obtain a non-immigrant O visa 90day.)

so out of luck there

I'm now wandering if this is the same for any embassy such as in manila, that i can not obtain a Non-immigration single stay 90days visa , I'll give them a call latter today and see if I can get a clear answer

Can I ask another question Ubonjoe?

If I do the option of of heading over to Vientiane, will I obtain the non-immigration visa single 90 days within two or three days of applying for it? and I assume there is no restrictions on how much time I have on my current visa, as i'm out of Thailand.

If so, this sounds like the best option as you have said previously.

​Can you foresee any problems if I ride my motorbike over to Vientiane, apply for the visa then spend a couple of weeks touring about in Leos then exit at a different border, one closest to Chiang Mai.

​Then when i arrive in Thailand, I start the process of applying for my retirement visa

Another question

Requirements to obtain a single entry non-immigrant 90 days visa when applying for it in Vientiane

I'm over 50 years old, but have no thai wife or child.

Edited by stephenb465

You can get the non-o visa based upon being 50 or over in Vientiane without a problem. You apply the morning of one dayand pickup your passport the next afternoon.

You will need your bank book showing the 800k int the account on the date you apply and possibly proof of address.

Let me give you my story:

Arrival stamp at the int.airport Phuket (AirAsia from KL) on the 8th of July 2014 - valid until 6.Aug (30 days)

Deposit of the required money (800,000 Bht) in my bank accout on the 15.July.

Bank letter received for 100Baht.

Trip to Immigration Phuket on the 17th (2 days later)

I asked for a (retirement extension) and received : (Only retirement Not marriage possible)

1. a Non 'O' Visa stamp No. C8xxx/xxx 17.July

2. A stamp that confirms that the requirements for this have been checked and met

3. A stamp stating: admitted (17.July), Until: (14 Oct 2014) Type: Non-O (Retirement) 2,000Baht paid

Now holding a Non-O until October, I let the money season for 60 days, went to the bank again and got a second letter.

Went To Immigation on the 17th Sept. (still having 30 days)

I received:

4. A Notice stamp: Extension of stay permitted/ Retirement/ Date: up to14.Oct 2015

5. A stamp about residence notification, work etc. 1,900 Bath paid

This is now the one year extension, no exit needed but one has to report every 90 days.

You are free to withdraw your funds now if needed.

The 60 days seasoning is valid for the fist application. Next time you have to hold it for 90 days.

Watch the days. One day less and the visa will not be issued!

One more word: I have actually done that, all info is copied from my passport. All straight forward.

The Non-O was issued in Phuket.

Renewed the extension on the 13th Oct 15.

And now my advise: Enter the country with a valid Non-O. (90 days) if possible.

You will have a maximum of 30 days to put the money in the bank and obtaining a retirement extension.

As soon the funds are seasoned, get your docs and go to Immigation and get the final extension.

If you come to Phuket without visa, go to Immi soon and check if it is still done the way I explained.

You can ONLY rely on hard facts and have to do your own research.

Remember that everything can change over night or is handled different at different locations.

Have a save trip and good luck !