Police say Bangkok bombing suspect is not cooperating

webfact

Police say Bangkok bombing suspect is not cooperating
NATTASUDA ANUSONDISAI, Associated Press
JOCELYN GECKER, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Thai police said Sunday the man arrested in connection with Bangkok's deadly bombing was being uncooperative, possibly not telling the truth to interrogators and would remain in military custody for at least seven days.

The unnamed foreigner was arrested Saturday at an apartment on the outskirts of Bangkok where police seized bomb-making equipment and fake passports. It was the first possible breakthrough in the investigation into the Aug. 17 blast at the Erawan Shrine, which killed 20 people, more than half of whom were foreigners, and injured more than 120 others.

National police spokesman Prawuth Thavornsiri told The Associated Press that police found "more than 200 passports" in the man's apartment, including many that were empty, and police were exploring the theory that he was part of a network that provided fake passports to migrants. He said the passports were from one country, but wouldn't say which one.

He did not explain why a passport gang might target a religious shrine.

Much remains unknown about the suspect, including his nationality, his motive, his relationship to the alleged bombing network or if he was plotting an attack, Prawuth said, adding that another attack was "possible" because police found 10 detonators.

He said police were working with "a number of embassies" and interpreters to try to establish the man's nationality, adding that he did not speak Thai but spoke some English — and the interrogation was going slowly.

"He is not cooperating much. From our preliminary investigation, we think he isn't telling us the truth," Prawuth said, declining to elaborate. "He told us how he entered Thailand but we don't believe everything he says."

Authorities have dodged questions about whether the suspect is believed to be Turkish, saying that he was traveling on a fake passport. Images circulated online after his arrest of a fake Turkish passport with the apparent suspect's picture.

"We don't know if he is Turkish or not," Prawuth said Saturday. "The passport you have seen is fake."

The Turkish Embassy in Bangkok could not immediately be reached for comment on Sunday. A Turkish government spokesman contacted a day earlier in Istanbul said he had no information on the suspect or any possible Turkish link to the attack.

The blast at the Erawan Shrine was unprecedented in the Thai capital, where smaller bombs have been employed in domestic political violence over the past decade, but not in an effort to cause large-scale casualties.

The shrine is a popular tourist destination, particularly with Chinese visitors, who are an important segment of the lucrative tourist market. At least six of the dead were from China and Hong Kong.

No one has claimed responsibility for the blast, sparking several theories into who might be behind it.

Possible suspects include parties seeking to avenge Thailand's forced repatriation of ethnic Uighurs to China. Uighurs are related to Turks, and Turkey is home to a large Uighur community.

Other theories included Muslim separatists from southern Thailand, opponents of Thailand's military government and feuding factions within the security services.

On Sunday, Prawuth put forth another theory, that the suspect belonged to a fake passport ring — "an illegal network that sends people who don't have passports to third countries" — and was angry at officials for a crackdown on fake passport operations.

"The police chief thinks it's personal revenge, anger from a group that is not happy with the work of officials, that we have arrested some of his people," Prawuth said. "We have been very strict about getting rid of fake passports."

Prawuth said that the suspect, who faces charges of possessing unauthorized explosives, was in military custody and could be held for renewable periods of seven days.

Until Saturday's arrest, police had focused on a prime suspect who was seen in a security camera video leaving a backpack at a bench near the open-air shrine and then walking away. A separate camera showed the man, wearing a yellow T-shirt, on the back of a motorcycle taxi leaving the site.

Prawuth said it was too soon to say if the suspect arrested Saturday was the man seen in the video.

"We still have to work out the details," Prawuth said. "But we are very certain he's part of the network. Definitely."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-31

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't the original story he claimed it was personal revenge for the deportation of family and friends to China ?

One day, maybe just maybe, the BIB will realise rushing to get a headline isn't good practice.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Is he seriously trying to say the reason for 2x bomb attacks was because police were cracking down on their fake passport operation

I have heard some staggering ridiculous statements from Thai officials but that has got to be the worst so far

the mind boggles

Perhaps there's another theory to consider? In that the guy is a simpleton, who doesn't know jack shit and was left thee on purpose by the bombers to make good their own escape?

It's also interesting to keep reading that certain posters are advocating torture to get information out of this guy, not knowing that such practices those being tortured will say anything to end the pain and has been proven to be counterproductive also.

You need skilled interrogators to get results, not some highly strung Sergeant who is pounding on the guys feet with a stick getting more animated than a cat on a hot tin roof.

Once again there's several inconsistencies with the RTP investigation, no wonder people are skeptical, and have a low belief in their overall competence, and that's just the Thais.

if its a true cell network he will know very little ...so all the RTP jumping on his ribs with towels around theit knees etc aint gonna get nothing

Thailand needs to get a grip and start to understand that many out there dont like you; whatever idiotic sabisabi and land of smile bulocks they hide behind

Leave him in a room alone with a couple of lady boys from Pattaya for some time and he will sing

like a cannery in an opera house and will tell you anything you want just get him out of there.....

Edited by ezzra

Perhaps there's another theory to consider? In that the guy is a simpleton, who doesn't know jack shit and was left thee on purpose by the bombers to make good their own escape?

It's also interesting to keep reading that certain posters are advocating torture to get information out of this guy, not knowing that such practices those being tortured will say anything to end the pain and has been proven to be counterproductive also.

You need skilled interrogators to get results, not some highly strung Sergeant who is pounding on the guys feet with a stick getting more animated than a cat on a hot tin roof.

Once again there's several inconsistencies with the RTP investigation, no wonder people are skeptical, and have a low belief in their overall competence, and that's just the Thais.

I think it would be safe to disregard your theory that the accused is a simpleton or do you really believe he doesn't know his name or nationality.

Whilst I don't support the use of physical torture it can get false confessions but also excellent Intelligence.

I'm pretty certain he knows his name and his nationality, he's just not telling the cops this or any other information, they're making things up as they go along.

Somyot has already stated publicly that this guy told them he was doing it out of revenge for his deported friends, hence why he's stated it's NOT International Terrorism, just a plain and simple "revenge attacks" and yet here we have a contrasting story in that he's given them nothing, and is being uncooperative.

Wasn't the original story he claimed it was personal revenge for the deportation of family and friends to China ?

Yep, Somyot said that.
And didn't he already make a full confession? That sounds pretty cooperative.

did he? I don't recall any confession of any sort, got some links?

I'm pretty certain he knows his name and his nationality, he's just not telling the cops this or any other information, they're making things up as they go along.

Somyot has already stated publicly that this guy told them he was doing it out of revenge for his deported friends, hence why he's stated it's NOT International Terrorism, just a plain and simple "revenge attacks" and yet here we have a contrasting story in that he's given them nothing, and is being uncooperative.

If you look at what was said before any arrest, and what has been said after..... prior to the arrest, they (police) came to the conclusion it can't be a Thai, it's not Southern insurgents, so it has to be Uighur. They also said that they won't mention any country of origin, for diplomatic reasons.

After the arrest, of what is probably not a bomber but a passport vendor/trafficker, based on the fake passports being Turkish, and in keeping with wanting to be diplomatic, Somyot presumed, but stated as fact, that this was revenge.

The actual fact is that they know nothing.

Uighurs are as likely to know English as Burmese labourers. This guy has some English.

As a criminal (passport crimes), and maybe knowing he is being set up for a mass-murder charge, the guy is clamming up. It's also possible that he doesn't even know what he's accused of, but assumes it's the passport crimes.

The "bomb making equipment" is hardly that, and in light of the fact that the police have admitted that the photo of the suicide belt has nothing to do with this guy, it is probable that the police have been jumping to conclusions, and also trying to make it look convincing.

I don't think that they have their guy. I think they have a criminal, but not a bomber. But they desperately need to pin it on a Turkic person.

It's possible he's a scapegoat. The police Chief of Chiefs, Somyot, is the same man who put himself in charge of the KT investigation last year. From that moment, the KT investigation took a 180 degree turn and pinned all their focus on scapegoats. In both these cases, there was/is a lot of pressure to quickly find suspects.

I'm not saying it's even likely it's a frame-up, but instead saying his credibility quotient is zero. Either way, I hope the suspect has a lawyer.

If you look at what was said before any arrest, and what has been said after..... prior to the arrest, they (police) came to the conclusion it can't be a Thai, it's not Southern insurgents, so it has to be Uighur. They also said that they won't mention any country of origin, for diplomatic reasons.

After the arrest, of what is probably not a bomber but a passport vendor/trafficker, based on the fake passports being Turkish, and in keeping with wanting to be diplomatic, Somyot presumed, but stated as fact, that this was revenge.

The actual fact is that they know nothing.

Uighurs are as likely to know English as Burmese labourers. This guy has some English.

As a criminal (passport crimes), and maybe knowing he is being set up for a mass-murder charge, the guy is clamming up. It's also possible that he doesn't even know what he's accused of, but assumes it's the passport crimes.

The "bomb making equipment" is hardly that, and in light of the fact that the police have admitted that the photo of the suicide belt has nothing to do with this guy, it is probable that the police have been jumping to conclusions, and also trying to make it look convincing.

I don't think that they have their guy. I think they have a criminal, but not a bomber. But they desperately need to pin it on a Turkic person.

not quite sure why you missed it, did the police not say they found him in possession of detonators - ball bearings - machined pipes - batteries and I believe they said explosives, they did not mention (unless I missed it) finding anything that could be used in making counterfeit passports, I would be more inclined to think the 12 passports were obtained for the rest of the people he is working with to enable them to move around the country unchallenged, they would be useless at an airport or border crossing unless they are copies of an original - even then it is still dodgy to use at a border

Now its 200 passports,before it was reported to be 20,

its very confusing to try a follow any reports that are

put out,plus photos of things that were not even his.

regards Worgeordie

it is quite a skill to divert and confuse especially if they were doing it on purpose but I doubt it

The Bangkok Post said the police were looking for a Thai woman after the raid on the apartment in Minburi.

If a Thai woman is involved then I really doubt the story about revenge for deportation of friends.

You'd think that they would've waited until she was home and then move in. Surely she might have some useful information. But then again a Thai wouldn't do such a thing so no need to talk to her. Did they deliberately wait until she was out? Skeptical, I know, but I'll never trust the RTP.

Edited by Wiggy

" He said police were working with "a number of embassies" and interpreters to try to establish the man's nationality, adding that he did not speak Thai but spoke some English "

I seem to remember from earlier reports that the taxi or Tuk-Tuk driver said their passenger, the alleged bomber, spoke Thai with a foreign accent.

Is he part of a wider network - maybe the BiB are on to something?

one of the best ways to get someone to talk it to make them fully understand what is going to happen to them, then offer something lesser if they agree to co-operate, if this guy is part of a group that planned the attack then he could be facing a death sentence or a very nasty time in jail ending in death, his future is rather bleak to say the least.

We have a death toll of 20 innocent people and may I remind everyone that many are still in hospital with horrific injuries - something I am quite familiar with