Thai politics: Cutting road deaths requires tougher law enforcement

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Cutting road deaths requires tougher law enforcement

CHULARAT SAENGPASSA

BANGKOK: -- ON August 16, there was a tragic accident in Chon Buri province: a 58-year-old man was killed while riding a bike. He was a security guard who regularly cycled to his workplace from home. This followed another equally sad case of another security guard in Pathum Thani province, who also used a bike as a means of transport. In both cases, they were hit by bigger vehicles and none of the drivers was drunk.

A World Health Organisation report on accident prevention ranks Thailand third in terms of road casualties - with 38 deaths for every 100,000 people.

Thanks to a strong campaign by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, Thais have learnt a lot about tragedies caused by drunk driving. Yet drunk driving is not responsible for all road accidents. Many are caused by drivers who are reckless, speed above legal limits, or overtake other cars in prohibited areas. These drivers can be anyone, from regular car owners and those with public driving licences.

Asst Prof Wichuda Sathiennam, of Khon Kaen University's Faculty of Engineering, has pointed out that Thais are prone to believe that road accidents happen because of "bad luck".

'Bad luck' pops up first in their minds, she says, despite the fact so many accidents are preventable.

Drunk driving, speeding, falling asleep at the wheel, holes in roads, inexperienced drivers, slow decision-making, dimly-lit roads, flawed braking systems, running against the authorised traffic direction and unfamiliarity with roads -these are all factors that cause accidents, which could have been prevented.

Indeed, violation of traffic laws often leads to road accidents and casualties.

So, what should the authorities do? Legislators should put in place stricter laws that will help prevent or at least reduce road accidents.

Officials, meanwhile, should help with stronger law enforcement.

Japan's tough laws, which punish even passengers taking a ride with drunk drivers, and serious enforcement, have been credited for the low road accident rate in Japan.

In Thailand, Maharaj Nakhon Chiang Mai Hospital has disclosed that since traffic police started to take serious action against traffic-law offenders in the North, the number of road-accident victims coming to the hospital has dropped significantly.

So, sadly, authorities in general have not been enforcing laws strictly enough.

In fact, police have long campaigned for a point-scoring campaign, through which reckless drivers would see their personal scores reduced. If a driver's score is down to a certain level, they could face suspension of their driving permit. But in reality, how many of them have been suspended?

Available statistics show the Land Transport Department suspended the driving licence of 75 taxi drivers and revoked the license of one taxi driver during the past year.

This is despite the fact traffic police have got more tools to monitor drivers' behaviour on the street. Cameras installed at intersections and other spots have helped police capture speeding drivers and others who violate traffic laws.

Photos from these cameras are printed out and sent to offenders' homes along with tickets. Many drivers have received such tickets and paid fines, but are convinced there is no punishment such as a score cut.

A driver who admitted making a U-turn in a prohibited area said he had already paid fines but found nothing happened to his lifetime driving licence.

Why don't authorities strictly enforce laws and measures against such offenders?

It may sound nice to find a traffic policeman who will not issue you a ticket or record your wrongdoing when you switch lanes dangerously or exceed the speed limit.

It may sound nice if you don't have to worry if your driving score may see a point deducted and you won't be able to drive for some time.

But such leniency may lead to complacency and a habit of ignoring the need to strictly comply with traffic laws. These two features are really too bad to accept.

When accidents happen with casualties, life won't be nice anymore and drivers will realise they should have worried about what needed to be done in the first place. Doing things right now is better than regretting it later.

As for the authorities, they also should realise that they need to enforce laws strictly for the sake of saving people's lives and property.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Cutting-road-deaths-requires-tougher-law-enforceme-30267858.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-01

Also it would make a change if motorbike riders were also punished. Just yesterday I was almost hit by a moto-taxi when he decided to go down the wrong lane, I had almost reached the kerb, so it was not even as if he just got into the wrong lane. I looked back to see if he got hit by an oncoming car, sadly, he didn't.

Bad luck only applied to the poor soul who happened to be riding their pushbike or walking on the path when they were killed or injured by the idiot driver who was speeding / drunk, etc. Maybe an 60,000 baht fine for 50+ km/h over the limit, like in Australia. The fines are a joke, even when a ticket is handed out! There also needs to be a demerit points system. Does one even exist here? Lose all your points, lose your licence. Community service for all those jokers who think its ok to ride/drive without a licence. The solution is simple really, but because the RTP have done nothing about it for decades, the problem has become insurmountable.

Getting folks here to follow sensible road laws is going to be a tough job.

Maybe a good start would be for the cops to fine people for taking corners on the wrong side of the road they are entering.....but you need cops that do their job! facepalm.gif

Also it would make a change if motorbike riders were also punished. Just yesterday I was almost hit by a moto-taxi when he decided to go down the wrong lane, I had almost reached the kerb, so it was not even as if he just got into the wrong lane. I looked back to see if he got hit by an oncoming car, sadly, he didn't.

Thais also need to learn how to use roundabouts. Many times cars / bike come flying through them and do not give way to traffic already on the roundabout. Nor do the have any clue about using indicators around them or what lane they are supposed to be in.

400 deaths a week on the roads in Thailand.

70% Motor-bikes related.

No law enforcement.

No respect for traffic laws whatsoever.

They just don't get it !!

Sadly, you're mostly correct, but partly because they know no other way.

It took no longer than three months living in Australia for my wife to realise the stark contrast between proper, professional policing and the inept, bumbling, wholly ineffectual "policing" that she'd grown up with. This contrast really hit home when we visited Thailand after two years in Oz and drove over 3000 km in just over three weeks - once you know how it should be done, it's easy to see where the RTP are failing (i.e. virtually in every possible aspect of policing). For generations Thais have grown up being able to do literally whatever they want on the roads, and the tragic numbers you posted is the inevitable result. It's a tragedy that it's taken them until 2015 to work this out, but it's even more tragic that nothing will come of this realisation.

I maintain that one of the biggest problems in Thailand is its embarrassingly ineffectual, grossly incompetent, and overtly corrupt police force. From the completely avoidable carnage on the roads, to the mafia-like lawlessness of places like Samui, to the normalisation of corruption (with quaint little phrases such as 'tea money'), to the police-run gambling dens, and drug-planting extortion. The overwhelming scourge of ice, and the international shame of child exploitation and human trafficking are rarely seen on the scale as they are in Thailand in countries that employ an effectual police force.

I'm sure there are good people employed in the RTP, and probably even some decent police officers given the chance, but as the old saying goes: the fish rots from the head - so while ever we have a command that is appointed out of nepotism, and never ever out of merit, a command whose sole purpose is personal enrichment and saving face; while ever we have a government (any government of any persuasion) that allows this system of corruption and overt ineptitude to continue, Thailand will forever be a developing country.

They dont need tougher.... just enforce the current laws, not rocket science or maybe for Thais it may as well be.

Nah, no need for that. Just need more cops to sit around picking their nose.

Pattaya need 200 new CCTV cameras, but 90% of what they have do not work.

No, it just requires any enforcement rather than sitting on the side of the road and watching every unlicensed kid on a bike drive by, every unroadworthy vehicle ignored and start prosecuting.

But the Buffoons in Brown (BIB) are too bloody LAZY. Many/most Thais don't want to put effort into ANYTHING. They just want to get paid/be handed food/ receive a paper claiming completion i.e. graduate/ told to relax, and take a nap.

Also I firmly believe this country is the Codependency capitol of the world.

The concept of a points system on a driving license works in most countries where the law is enforced, but how could it work here when around 50% of drivers don't even have a license.

The first step is to impound any vehicle where the driver is found to not have license, tax or insurance. That will removed a lot of cars and pickups from the roads and most of the motorcycles. The vehicles are only returned when the correct paperwork is produced.

The driving test should be a real test on actual roads, not just a short drive round the carpark, that everyone takes, no more handing out licenses for payment.

The above would be a start, then enforce the traffic laws that are already in place and not just a 200 baht fine. Make it expensive to break the law with points so that drivers will think twice about doing it and finally one law for all so that certain people are not just saluted and waived on.

Just yesterday I was riding my motorbike the wrong way on Sukhumvit in Jomtien from Macro to the next major intersection - it's much shorter to go that way for me. A motorbike cop was driving the correct way, we passed each other, and not an eye was batted. In ANY civilized country where law enforcement is adhered to, I would have received a stiff ticket and an insurance hike. TiT.

The steps they need to take are obvious,

1. Proper driver training and a driving test that involves actual driving with an examiner.

2. Improved roads and road markings, and road signs that make sense.

3. Enforcement of road traffic laws with appropriate fines for offenders.

I'm sure the authorities know exactly what is needed, but like most things here if it requires someone actually doing something then it's a case of "mai bpen rai"

Bad luck only applied to the poor soul who happened to be riding their pushbike or walking on the path when they were killed or injured by the idiot driver who was speeding / drunk, etc. Maybe an 60,000 baht fine for 50+ km/h over the limit, like in Australia. The fines are a joke, even when a ticket is handed out! There also needs to be a demerit points system. Does one even exist here? Lose all your points, lose your licence. Community service for all those jokers who think its ok to ride/drive without a licence. The solution is simple really, but because the RTP have done nothing about it for decades, the problem has become insurmountable.

Many, if not all, foreign countries (aka 'Western') have a demerits system.

The Australian system is 9 points, and the number of points lost, along with a fine, depends on the seriousness of the traffic violation.

Turning right against a red arrow is over $300 in Queensland, plus some points.

So apart from an empty wallet, once your 9 points are gone, you're the proud user of public transport for the next year or so.

The problem here is lack of law enforcement as we're all saying, but the Thais just don't seem to get it. They're driving big, fast, modern vehicles, but the laws and enforcement hark back to the days of elephants and rickshaws.

Give the police a decent salary, a uniform and equipment, which at present they're paying for, and ensure that all fines are paid to State Treasury, and not into the pool of fines, paying the police hierarchy.

The roads are clogged with half-trained drivers, who are fined a measly B100 for running a red light, no records kept of previous offences, and we've got a free-for-all.

The Thais scorn our Western system of police highway patrols, computerised record keeping of all drivers and car registrations, realistic fines, but sooner or later they're going to have to eat humble pie and see how the USA, European Union, UK, Australian systems work, and maybe prevent so many Thais going to an early cremation.

The police simply don't have the equipment or training for driving law enforcement. You can't have safer roads using just road blocks.

Phuket just got 40 new breathalyzers. This will have no effect on driving safety but it will present more opportunity to fatten cop wallets.

In Thailand, Maharaj Nakhon Chiang Mai Hospital has disclosed that since traffic police started to take serious action against traffic-law offenders in the North, the number of road-accident victims coming to the hospital has dropped significantly.

and where does the so called traffic police "take serious action" I would like to know ... ?

These lazy uniformed buffons dont even bother to stop reckless drivers that pass right by their nose and its clear that the drivers dont even care when they see a policecar ... As usual Thailand is 50 years behind most other countries blink.png

guns can kill people - a licence is required and if you are found with a gun and no licence it is quite a serious matter. You certainly will lose the gun and may end up in jail.

cars/motorbikes can kill people ......................................

So, why not have a NEW traffic police force who deal SOLELY with traffic offenders. Impound vehicles until large fines are paid and paperwork put in order along with other penalties mentioned above. The potential fines would more than cover the cost of setting up and operating.

What is it with scooters/bikes and no tail light? I see at least thee or four every time I drive at night. Surely they can't ALL malfunction, or are the majority of vehicles out there really that decrepit? And how much does a bulb cost? (I'm guessing more than a fine.)

I heard that there was a 'fashion' whereby bike wing mirrors are removed, is the Thai bike tail light failure a 'thing' with the local youth here as well?

The editorial mentioned the ingrained concept of 'luck' being related to accidents. If they can't change that outlook then how about adopting the maxim "One makes ones own luck'?

We have way too many self-taught people on motorbikes, wearing dark clothing, no tail light, riding on badly lit highways, it's a recipe for human roadkill on an industrial scale.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world motorbike commuters go out of their way to be seen, lights on at all times, hi-vis gear, some even have a little hi-vis pennant on a tall antenna, and that's in broad daylight.

Heard some gossip from my GF, one of her girlfriends was caught at a roadblock for drink driving, the officer 'confiscated' her licence/or National ID, not sure which, but then let her drive home! The deal was she had to go to a certain police station pay a 'fine' and retriever her licence. Not wishing to do so, she simply went to a nearby province, claimed the card had been lost, and was issued a replacement.

You'd think at least the BIB would, having her DL or ID pay a follow up home visit, but no, the whole thing seems to have been forgotten, and life goes on.

On a side note, I have no idea why tourists hand over their passport as collateral for a rental bike, that is both unnecessary and wrong on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.

Edited by dhream

The priority is a real driving test, stopping at a line, reversing, and in and out of a box in a car park is not a driving test. But if you can do that, or even if not then pay for a license they let you out on the roads that you need never have even driven on before, what could possibly go wrong!

So, why not have a NEW traffic police force who deal SOLELY with traffic offenders. Impound vehicles until large fines are paid and paperwork put in order along with other penalties mentioned above. The potential fines would more than cover the cost of setting up and operating.

They don't need a new police force, none of us frankly, do. Just look at where Australia is heading with 'Border farce', and I speak as an ex-cop.

I do agree that instant vehicle impounding is a VERY good solution in this country (Thailand) they could literally start today, and at the same time, create more local jobs with an entire industry built around tow trucks, vehicle checking stations, approved roadworthy repair shops, proper fine administration, even impound yards.

Returning to your main idea, a well-trained traffic division is sufficient. This would not only reduce the carnage, crime would plummet too.

Here is why.

Offenders usually flout any and all societal conventions. Subsequently, many are caught out by neglecting the 'little things' that many law abiding people observe, such as, road rules, vehicle maintenance, correct documentation, permits, etc.

Also, by simple logic, criminals obviously have to be going to, or coming from, a crime scene, invariably carrying their loot or tools of 'trade' they may well spend as much time on the road, commuting to 'work', as most of us.

Some amazing arrests were the result of simple traffic stops, and competent police asking all the right questions, leading to a little car search, leading to big arrests...http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2005/05/in-praise-of-routine-traffic-stops

This is not news to the law enforcement community worldwide, but notice the word 'enforcement', all the laws in the world aren't worth shit if they are not 'enforced'.

But yep, a functional force, with a well trained Traffic Division, can not only save a lot of lives, but get some solid arrests happening, it's food for thought for those who ever see a traffic cop and carp that he's not doing 'real' police work.

Edited by dhream

Although greater confidence in the Police force would help improve things unfortunately it will only go so far. For example I have recently seen cases of Police enforcement checkpoints being treated with contempt. A regular one aimed at improving helmet use on Ko Samui being seen as 'Tea Money Collection' and I was just warned by friends either to avoid it or make sure I was wearing my helmet "on that bit of road"! While I recently saw a posted map on the route to avoid a regular police drink and drugs checkpoint somewhere else.

The stick will not work on it's own. It needs a carrot hanging from it , Better Rider and driver training. Extra competence training for professional road users. Defensive riding courses for riders. All this is common practice in the UK. But in my field - Motorcycle Training. There is currently no defensive rider training courses in Thailand that are even remotely like the basic training courses that all two wheel road users are required to undertake to ride in the UK.

We are now looking at new ideas we call "No Surprise - No Accident" which is about understanding how and why accidents happen and learning to avoid the situations that cause them.

If we want to make Thai Roads safer it is all our responsibilities to look to the way we use the roads ourselves first.

'Drunk driving, speeding, falling asleep at the wheel, holes in roads, inexperienced drivers, slow decision-making, dimly-lit roads, flawed braking systems, running against the authorised traffic direction and unfamiliarity with roads -these are all factors that cause accidents, which could have been prevented.' Let's be frank: few Thai drivers are competent, having passed whatever then passed for a test without any real regard for their knowledge of the law, of signage, of road markings, of priority, or of what they are doing behind the wheel. Add to this the not much greater knowledge of the RTP, together with the almost complete absence of any enforcement of road laws - apart from one-off specials - and the problem with Thailand's drivers' accident proneness is only too evident.

This is a job for the man at the top...

It can... and must be tackled hard, even I understand it can not be achieved overnight, but it can be tackled in many ways.

• Police or more to the point Traffic Police with vehicles to make them mobile
  • Heavy fines for unlicensed drivers
  • Stricter controls on test centres
  • Banning drivers, even impound their vehicles
  • Retest drivers with poor driving records

That's just for starts...