Phuketwan not guilty on all counts in Thai Navy defamation trial

webfact

Good news but sorry, not for one second do i believe the ruling came from any consideration of fairness or justice.

what saved them.

1. half of the team accused was Thai.

2. the worry of what they would look like in the media if sentancing an old farang to prison.

If the guy was years younger, and no Thais were involved they would have thrown the book at him.

If you doubt it,lets just wait see what happens to Andy Hall

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, I hope there are no appeals against the ruling.

Great news!

While this looks surprisingly like justice, the fact that the charges were laid in the first place proves this government is as bad as all others before it.

The charges were laid during the previous government...

But the navy are part of this govt.

Hey people, maybe some of you are missing the point regarding the charges. Yes, charges were laid during previous government. But current government did not drop the suit, so continuing with this farce gives them ownership, responsibility, etc. They had no problem dropping other actions of previous government, such as holding elections. This could have been easily done & part of happiness campaign.

Don't let the guard down just because won at this level. Unlike the west, navy can appeal the loss (probably on any grounds they wish, such as "we didn't win!).

Great news!

While this looks surprisingly like justice, the fact that the charges were laid in the first place proves this government is as bad as all others before it.

It might be so IF it was the government that made the complaint in the first place but they didn't.

The Thai Navy did and whilst it is a part of the bureaucracy it is NOT the government, merely one department among many.

Don't let that stop your rant against the government though.

Good, I hope there are no appeals against the ruling.

Great news!

The charges were laid during the previous government...

the SAME Navy that supported and supports the unelected Junta who could have stopped it. Stop making cheap political points this is GREAT NEWS

So it is OK for YOU to make cheap political points but not for anybody else?

Great news!

It might be so IF it was the government that made the complaint in the first place but they didn't.

The Thai Navy did and whilst it is a part of the bureaucracy it is NOT the government, merely one department among many.

Don't let that stop your rant against the government though.

Unbelievable : 'whilst it is part of the bureaucracy' I advise you to retake your primary education but it's probably too late for that

Having this verdict is great news for the journalists involved and hopefully for journalism in general in Thailand...

But before anyone starts celebrating too much, just remember that this pair were put thru what I'm sure were a couple of years of hell, fearing a potential criminal conviction and prison sentences, merely because one of their articles had the temerity to reprint a one paragraph version of a Reuters news agency report on Thai human trafficking.

Even if the Thai Navy/government doesn't pursue the case further via an appeal, these kinds of cases absolutely have a chilling impact on anyone else trying to practice serious journalism in Thailand.

The only real solution is for some Thai government, somewhere, somehow, to repeal the current criminal defamation statutes that aim to criminalize journalism.

Loss of face for the navy today.

Likely the navy will appeal the result and then if they lose the second court, they'll appeal to the supreme court.

Unfortunately, I have to agree...

Too many cases where they just appeal with out any valid reasons.

The only winners are the Lawyers...sad.png

Hey people, maybe some of you are missing the point regarding the charges. Yes, charges were laid during previous government. But current government did not drop the suit, so continuing with this farce gives them ownership, responsibility, etc. They had no problem dropping other actions of previous government, such as holding elections. This could have been easily done & part of happiness campaign.

Don't let the guard down just because won at this level. Unlike the west, navy can appeal the loss (probably on any grounds they wish, such as "we didn't win!).

What you are advocating is for the Executive branch of government meddle in the workings of the Judicial branch. That would be bad enough in the context of an elected government, asking for it with a military one is, well, let's say just say misguided.

While this is great news, the fact remains these ridiculous laws are still on the books.

They remain there for only one reason, to silence criticism and dissension.

Libel is the spreading of false and damaging information. Except here where the information can be 100% truthful and you're still judged a criminal for daring to tell people.

Computer crimes are cases of fraud and larceny committed online.

Except here where you might be guilty of just telling the truth.

Good news but sorry, not for one second do i believe the ruling came from any consideration of fairness or justice.

what saved them.

1. half of the team accused was Thai.

2. the worry of what they would look like in the media if sentancing an old farang to prison.

If the guy was years younger, and no Thais were involved they would have thrown the book at him.

If you doubt it,lets just wait see what happens to Andy Hall

Stupid post........!

Great news!

But the charges were laid before this government took power....

Great news!

Yes, yes, that has been appointed out a number of times already, and i have already eaten my hat. I was going by the date in the article, which was out by a year...

Yes, but this government could always have withdrawn the complaint / charge

I am still trying to figure out the legitimacy of a local military commander laying charges in a civilian court in the first place. Where is it written that a local Admiral has the right to sue in the name of the Royal Thai Navy !!!!!

I disagree very much with most of the comments in this story. The case shows only 1. the stupidity of the Thai Navy and the prosecutor (was this the police's prosecution service?) 2. the inordinate deference of the court officials to the wishes of the Thai Navy and 3. the incapacity of the staff within the court office to do what was screamingly obvious the right thing to do, namely not allow this case to be commenced and 4. the independence and good sense of the Judges (at least, those in this case. This is a case which should never have gone to court. I think that it shows the woeful inability of so many Thais to think (poor education?) but that there are most decidedly some who can, just as well as the nationals of any other country.

Yes, but this government could always have withdrawn the complaint / charge

I am still trying to figure out the legitimacy of a local military commander laying charges in a civilian court in the first place. Where is it written that a local Admiral has the right to sue in the name of the Royal Thai Navy !!!!!

Captain, actually - about three ranks lower.

I'm not inclined to think that the outcome was the correct decision of the judiciary unfortunately. With all the other bad press out there about Thailand at the moment, including police rewarding themselves for not catching who they were supposed to catch, one can't help but think this decision was made not to add one more log into the fire. But at the end of the day.... at least justice was done for once.