HELP: Stuck At Border

According to immirgration, I am only allowed a maximum of three times into Thailand, so they are refusing me entry since the system says I am a visa-runner.

But I have only stayed in Thailand for a few weeks during the past six months, and less than five months during the past year! I have only entered Thailand thrice, the first time being last summer (one year ago), all on visa-exemptions.

I can't find anything online saying that I am limited to three entries! I do not wish to stay in Thailand more than one week but they do not want to stamp my passport.

I am a UK citizen so I should be entitled to a visa free. Any help?

Which border crossing?

I'm unsure of the name since I went as part of a tour. it's a land crossing.

Now your sounding like a troll.

Get the name of the border crossing. It's not rocket science or crawl back under your rock and stop wasting the time of genuine TVF members who are trying to help you.

This is sounding spookily alike the infamous 'Stuck at airport' thread after the junta's crackdown-that-never-was last year, which ran multiple click bait pages until posters either sussed or got bored and left.

• Like 2

Which border crossing?

I'm unsure of the name since I went as part of a tour. it's a land crossing.

Now your sounding like a troll.

Get the name of the border crossing. It's not rocket science or crawl back under your rock and stop wasting the time of genuine TVF members who are trying to help you.

This is sounding spookily alike the infamous 'Stuck at airport' thread after the junta's crackdown-that-never-was last year, which ran multiple click bait pages until posters either sussed or got bored and left.

No I'm not. I'm seriously stuck here but I still can't find anything online stating I should be denied entry.

Am I right in thinking that they are wrong to stop me at this border? What should I do?

Yes but theres little you can do about it without official appeal.

You need to try another border, get a tourist or other visa or fly in to the country.

• Like 1

you already got several answers. The local border immigration officials have the authority to deny entry. Now, care to state which border visa run service you used? What type of visa did you leave Thailand with? You said you stayed in Thailand for a few weeks during the past six months. Care to explain that timeline? The most recent weeks, three weeks duration five months ago? The timeline I think you are making up doesn't seem to fit a Visa exemption on arrival.

you already got several answers. The local border immigration officials have the authority to deny entry. Now, care to state which border visa run service you used? What type of visa did you leave Thailand with? You said you stayed in Thailand for a few weeks during the past six months. Care to explain that timeline? The most recent weeks, three weeks duration five months ago? The timeline I think you are making up doesn't seem to fit a Visa exemption on arrival.

It wasn't a border run. I went on a tour to Angkor Wat. I have only used visa exemptions in Thailand.

The last time I was in Thailand was a few months ago, and that was only for a few week (just over two weeks). Prior to that my stays in Thailand was in 2014.

You are not stuck at the border! the route into Thailand is get on a bus to Phnom Penh and get a tourist visa or take a flight from Siem reap or Phnom Penh and fly to BKK where you should get a 30 stamp with no problems ( you might want to have an onward flight booked out of thailand within those 30 days, ready to show immigration if asked). You could be back in Thailand within hours if you jump on the next flight?

• Like 1

You are not stuck at the border! the route into Thailand is get on a bus to Phnom Penh and get a tourist visa or take a flight from Siem reap or Phnom Penh and fly to BKK where you should get a 30 stamp with no problems ( you might want to have an onward flight booked out of thailand within those 30 days, ready to show immigration if asked). You could be back in Thailand within hours if you jump on the next flight?

Is there any reason why I can't get into Thailand overland? It's a huge change of routes considering I am flying out of BKK soon.

I know you said you are from the UK but are you perhaps from the middle east origin?

Even so, what should I do? I'm literally stuck at the border! Is there anyone higher up I can speak to?

As a UK citizen you are entitled to unlimited visa exempt entry. There's no law or ministerial regulation giving IO's the power to limit the number of entries to 3.

That said they do. You can appeal to the senior IO at the border and insist they follow formal entry denial but you're probably wasting your time.

Technically you should have a minimum of 10k baht in cash or travellers cheques and proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date. If you don't have either of these they can deny entry and appealing is pointless.

whistling.gif Back to Back visa exempt land border crossings have ben a no no for over a year now.

That's because many people who were working illegally in Thailand used visa exempt entries to exit Thailand and quickly return to Thailand on another visa exempt entry.

Since August 1st 2014 it is possible to enter Thailand on a visa exempt entry for 30 days and EXTEND that visa exempt entry at your local immigration in Thailand for another 30 day stay by paying the extension fee of 1900 Bhat.

Repeated use of visa exempt entries, however, has been discouraged by the Thai immigration since early 2014 due to the many illegal workers attempting to stay in Thailand using repeated visa exempt entries.

Sometimes if you can show funds (cash) to support yourself in Thailand they may give you another visa exempt entry.... with a warning that you need to get a tourist visa the next time.

But that is at the discretion of the immigration at the border.

It also may be easier to cross into Thailand by air and not attempt 2 or 3 land border entries in a row.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

Is there any reason why I can't get into Thailand overland? It's a huge change of routes considering I am flying out of BKK soon.

you WERE going to be flying out of BKK soon.

• Like 2

You know the answer to this already the border staff at the land crossing won't give you a 30 day on arrival. So move on to the next options. Air Asia from PNH might be worth a try and a $5 bus ride to Phnom Penh. Do it like a tourist and see the sites. Spend a few days on the beach at Sinoukville.

It wasn't a border run. I went on a tour to Angkor Wat. I have only used visa exemptions in Thailand.

The last time I was in Thailand was a few months ago, and that was only for a few week (just over two weeks). Prior to that my stays in Thailand was in 2014.

There's obviously more to this incident, if indeed it's really happening.

The tour operator is not able to assist in negotiating with Immigration or at least explain to you what the problem is? If you're really there can you post a picture of the name of the crossing point that is probably staring you in the face?

Have you been asked to show sufficient funds and been unable to do so? Have you done something to warrant the immigration officer's refusing to stamp you in? Do you have the kind of appearance that would suggest something to the IO? If the answer's affirmative then you've already had all the advice that can be given, probably thrice. Get a proper visa or try another crossing point.

There's obviously more to this incident, if indeed it's really happening.

The tour operator is not able to assist in negotiating with Immigration or at least explain to you what the problem is? If you're really there can you post a picture of the name of the crossing point that is probably staring you in the face?

Have you been asked to show sufficient funds and been unable to do so? Have you done something to warrant the immigration officer's refusing to stamp you in? Do you have the kind of appearance that would suggest something to the IO? If the answer's affirmative then you've already had all the advice that can be given, probably thrice. Get a proper visa or try another crossing point.

The tour operator is on the other side of the border, so I am unable to contact him (I was told that I would be greeted by a board).

They did not ask me anything else, but just inststed that I was a visa-runner, which can't be true since I have only been in Thailand for two/three weeks in the past six months.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do, your entry is always subjected to the officer's decision and you have been unlucky.

You could;

-Wait till the officer finishes his shift and try your luck with someone else

- Try your luck to the next border

- fly back in

- get a tourist visa