How Can I Find Work In The Middle East Or An Oil Rig?

Hi fellow thaivisa members. I'm fairly new around here. My first couple of posts highlighted my miserable existence in the uk. I am in my twenties, living in the Uk with my Thai girl. My (and hers) job is crap, poorly paid and meaningless. I've heard of well paid jobs in the middle east. I was once on my way to Thailand wia Quatar and I was sat next to a British gentleman on the plane who said he worked "pressing buttons and getting paid thousands" in the printing industry in Doha. He would rotate his time like 6 weeks there and 4 weeks in England. I also met a man in Phuket who was working on an oil rig and again would spend his time between his job and his home - in phuket. I would love to do something like this - even just for a couple of years. it's not just about the money either. I want the experience. And if I could do something like this and make Thailand my base or home that would be great. I am hardworking and motivated, diciplined and reliabe. I would especially like working on an oil rig - of course I would probably have to obtain a qualification.

I know this forum is an excellent source of information and I'm sure there are plenty of members here that could offer advice to get going in the right direction - I would truely appreciate some information on the above. Thanks in advance guys. :o

Hi fellow thaivisa members. I'm fairly new around here. My first couple of posts highlighted my miserable existence in the uk. I am in my twenties, living in the Uk with my Thai girl. My (and hers) job is crap, poorly paid and meaningless. I've heard of well paid jobs in the middle east. I was once on my way to Thailand wia Quatar and I was sat next to a British gentleman on the plane who said he worked "pressing buttons and getting paid thousands" in the printing industry in Doha. He would rotate his time like 6 weeks there and 4 weeks in England.

The Guy in Qatar probably does get paid thousands for pressing buttons he spent a fair amount of time learning which buttons to press and he also has to accept the responibility if it all goes wrong.

I also met a man in Phuket who was working on an oil rig and again would spend his time between his job and his home - in phuket.

Again to work on an oil rig anywhere you need to get experience and spend a few years working your way up the ladder.

I would love to do something like this - even just for a couple of years. it's not just about the money either. I want the experience. And if I could do something like this and make Thailand my base or home that would be great. I am hardworking and motivated, diciplined and reliabe. I would especially like working on an oil rig - of course I would probably have to obtain a qualification.

The first thing you have to do is make up your mind what to do and then find out what qualifications you need to do it. You may have to go back to college or university to gain that and it may take a few years to do so, after which you need to find a company to employ you. You may be lucky enough to find a company who will take you on, train you and also give you the time off to get the qualifications.

I am now semi retired but I still work and earn a fair amount in the mobile phone industry but I started in 1987 and now the jobs are being taken by Filipinos, Thais, Indians, Pakistanis and the like who will work for less than I would but it is still a lot for them. Good for them I say.

I am afraid that most of the jobs that pay well are not in the places that I would want to go. Last year I was offered $13,500 a month plus flights, hotels etc in Iraq. I politely said that I would not go for less than $500,000 a month as I have a wife, a young son and I am not going to any country where the population thinks it is great fgun to shoot my a** off.

I hope that I have not dampened your enthusiasm but money for old rope is not that easy to get or everybody would try for it.

I know this forum is an excellent source of information and I'm sure there are plenty of members here that could offer advice to get going in the right direction - I would truely appreciate some information on the above. Thanks in advance guys. :o

Edited by billd766

Hi fellow thaivisa members. I'm fairly new around here. My first couple of posts highlighted my miserable existence in the uk. I am in my twenties, living in the Uk with my Thai girl. My (and hers) job is crap, poorly paid and meaningless. I've heard of well paid jobs in the middle east. I was once on my way to Thailand wia Quatar and I was sat next to a British gentleman on the plane who said he worked "pressing buttons and getting paid thousands" in the printing industry in Doha. He would rotate his time like 6 weeks there and 4 weeks in England. I also met a man in Phuket who was working on an oil rig and again would spend his time between his job and his home - in phuket. I would love to do something like this - even just for a couple of years. it's not just about the money either. I want the experience. And if I could do something like this and make Thailand my base or home that would be great. I am hardworking and motivated, diciplined and reliabe. I would especially like working on an oil rig - of course I would probably have to obtain a qualification.

i moved to the middle east when i was 25, now i am 32 living in Thailand, 5 years in different countries in the middle east, i would go back there tommorow, are jobs easy to get not really, outside of Oil is the money good, not really however working in other cultures and having a better standard of life make up for it. I have worked in some risky places as my job demands this so that never bothers me however i do not work in oil. UK salaries from what i see are very good these days for those people who want to work. :D

U dont mention what you do now for work? Can you not look for job doing that? Remember that competition in the middle east from the indian mafia is huge. Well educated Indians are easy to come by and will accept much lower pay and conditions than a european, us europeans only fill the top positions in the majority of companies and to do that you need experience and / or a proven track record in your field.

U could try the newspapers such as gulf news etc (more UAE) or try various employment agencies such as http://www.emasco.com/

Hope it helps!!

I am indeed reading this.

Can I say right up front, I'm an office based consultant engineer. I have nothing to do with recruitment, and while I did start my working life as a field worker, I have no direct contacts or connections with that work. So sorry I can't get anyone an introduction.

As for working in the middle east.

Sometime around 2nd quater next year I've got to decide if I want to go to the Middle East with my current project.

My criteria for making that decision will be almost entirely 'Safety/Security' but I'll also be looking at other options/other locations.

I think the oportunity of riches in the Oil and Gas industry is one that is fast disapearing, not because there are not riches to be made, but because employers are sourcing staff away from the west.

Why are they doing that? Because the skills they are looking for are almost impossible to find in the west.

My brother (also a consultant engineer on the O&G business) recently returned from the Black Sea. There are huge projects going on there and plenty of work. But the companies are recruing in the former Eastern Block/Asia.

You don't have to go all the way out east to find out why. Go to any UK/US based O&G Site project and you'll find almost all the craftsmen are in their late 40s and 50s. There are Very Very few young guys with the trade skills and qualifications the industry needs.

My advice to anyone wanting to get into this business would be get yourself real trade skills and qualifications.

Find yourself a local home based contracting firm working in the O&G business back home where you can learn the business.

I don't like giving news to put people off, but my view is that unless you have formal training in craft skills or a professional engineering qualification, then the O&G business is almost entirely closed to you.

Train as a plumber/electrician and set your own business up at home - You'll probably make more money.

Guesthouse, you have hit the nail on the head with regard to the oil industry.

The median age in the whole oil and gas business is somewhere in the upper forties.

The O & G industry has recognized this problem and is desperate to recruit direct from universities. Not much luck as it's not seen as a "sexy" business.

Mind you, for us old farts still working, the money has never been better.

The O & G industry has recognized this problem and is desperate to recruit direct from universities.

But that's not much help when you need a mechanical fitter who is capable of aligning a 7 bearing compressor, or a coded welder, or heavy lift forman.

Graduates who want to be project managers are two a penny - Electricians with experience in installing and commissioning High Voltage Electrical Switch Gear are like rocking horse sh1t.

Edited by GuestHouse

you could start with petro chem agencies but unless you have some previous experience or know somebody to squeeze you in its hard. most brits in the industry cut their teeth back in the 70-s and 80s North sea boom years and moved to other places in more recent times .In those days you could walk into a petro chem job with ease but those days are long gone.

there are websites advertsing jobs in these middle eastern countries if you do a search.

But the big money jobs are also long gone except in Iraq if you want to risk your life for big bucks.

Ken Bigley never got to spend his big wedge !

I've been looking in to the oil and gas industry for the past 5 or 6 months with little luck. My background is not in engineering, rather environmental. All O&G companies have an EHS division but these jobs are few and far between. Even the entry level (0-3 years) positions expect you to have skill A, B, C, D etc which you really can not get unless you've already had experience in the O&G industry.

Although this is not the only area I am focusing on, it would be a dream of mine.

I'm not sure how much mining takes place in the UK, but taconite mining is really booming here in the U.S. If you go to school and get your 2 year heavy machinery certification, many companies will hire you on. It's not unheard of for those just entering to make over $60,000 plus good benefits.

Jamie

But the big money jobs are also long gone except in Iraq if you want to risk your life for big bucks.

Sorry Nostrel, but that is the biggest heap of sh1t I have heard this year. The oilfield labour pool is getting smaller and smaller and the demand for experienced personnel is getting higher and higher.

The guys who a few years ago were struggling to make ends meet are now being offered silly money.

[The guys who a few years ago were struggling to make ends meet are now being offered silly money.

Very true. Guys I know who are freelance, but work through manning agencies are in clover.

Five years ago, they all had to take part-time jobs in their home countries just to survive.

Now, their daily rate goes up every three months, or, so due to a bidding war between the manning agencies.

Sorry Nostrel, but that is the biggest heap of sh1t I have heard this year. The oilfield labour pool is getting smaller and smaller and the demand for experienced personnel is getting higher and higher.

The guys who a few years ago were struggling to make ends meet are now being offered silly money.

i wasnt refering to oil jobs in iraq ,just general all types of jobs ,ithought that would be obvious

This whole thread is about Oil Jobs !

i didnt think you were a pedantic halfwit who couldnt see some extra info attached to the end as being usefull. theres always some idiot who will misinterpret a post and get on his high horse and shoot his mouth off .

Did you get out of bed the wrong side today? I could take great offence to that post but I shall give it the respect it deserves and ignore it.

HAND :o

I know this forum is an excellent source of information and I'm sure there are plenty of members here that could offer advice to get going in the right direction - I would truely appreciate some information on the above. Thanks in advance guys. :D

:o

You need a marketable skill....and be prepared to start off low if you are lucky enough to get an offer. I'm not up on the oil industry...I do communications work as a technician. I've got about 40 years experience, and a security clearance to market. that kind of experience always sells. Computer skills are still an item that will sell, but without experience you will start at the bottom. You'd be surprised too that people who can repair a building airconditioning system or heating system are always in demand (but you better have certification to prove it). Good mechanics also are always wanted. Electricians are also a good bet. Again training and certificates are the key.

Best method is to subit a resume (or C.V. if you prefer to call it that) to some of the companies that advertise recruiting for overseas jobs on the internet. Just be prepared to get a lot of "no thank you" replies. Just keep plugging, and once again, be prepared to start low and work your way in. If you have a skill or can learn a skill to be of use to the right company, they will come looking for you. As always, nothing good comes for free.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Hey Geevlus,

my brother was in the same position as you about ten years ago,in his twenties and going no where.He put himself through about 6 years of studying and gained a degree in mechanical engineering,it wasn,t easy and he a lot of loans to repay,which he has and now he has a choice of countries where his work takes him.

You are still young so you have a chance.

Myself,I was lucky to establish myself in Asia by means of Hong Kong before it was handed back to China.Hard work was the key....not getting money for sitting around pushing buttons.

Although I dont work in Thailand , my wife is Thai and we have a house(or rather she does) in Thailand, the thought of having to go back to England really makes me feel quite ill.

Good luck

I am hardworking and motivated, diciplined and reliabe. I would especially like working on an oil rig - of course I would probably have to obtain a qualification.

Jobs are out there but it's mostly a closed shop and without qualifications you need to know someone to get you in.

Just to give you an idea hereby the requirements for a floorhand which requires only a high school diploma and some work experience:

Job Description: Floorhand

Summary: A Floorhand is a crew member whose primary work station is on the rig floor.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities:

Trips pipe (consists of using slips, tongs and elevators), lines up choke or kill manifold and makes connections while drilling.

Nipples BOP's -- up and down.

Relieves Derrickhand in Derrick while tripping pipe or on pits while eating, assists in mixing drilling mud or lost circulation material and chemicals, and acts as Flag Crane Operator or Driller when Operator cannot see loads.

Shaker duties: Monitors mud weight, viscosity and sand weight while drilling.

Performs general maintenance of drawworks, rotary transmission, and rotary table oils.

Performs chipping and painting on rig floor, loads and off-loads pipe, assists in rig movement (help with rig-up / rig-down), and rig maintenance.

Inspections of all safety equipment, TIW valve, inside BOP valve, choke manifold and accumulator unit.

Monitors hole fill-ups while pulling out of hole,lining up trip tanks, runs air/hydraulic hoist (lowering and lifting), checks for leaks on BOP stack, and measures pipe.

Checks snub lines, pull lines, shackles, and cable clamps to see that they are in good condition.

Checks dies in slips and tongs, fluid level in Koomey Unit, and all safety and riding belts to make sure they are in good condition.

Mixes sack chemicals, runs casing, tags casing through V-door, and unhooks cables from casing, tulung and drill pipes.

Changes drill / trip recorder and change chart.

Responds to emergency situations including, but not limited to, wellbore influxes, hydrogen sulfide detection and major mechanical or structural failures.

Must be capable of quickly evacuating the facility to avoid injury during emergencies, assists in rescue operations for injuries or overcome personnel.

Assists with repairs and maintenance of large mud pumps, shale shaker, desander, desilter, and degasser units.

Responsible for moving joints of casing to the catwalk during casing job. Assists with attaching casing to pick-up lines so casing can be lifted to the rig floor.

Responsible for rolling drill pipe to or from catwalk, attaching or detaching the pick-up lines, and using drill pipe tongs, spinning chain, air spinners, slips,as well as handling drill pipe joints.

Cleans the mast and substructure with a high-pressure steam cleaning unit. Scrubs and paints mast, substructure, etc.

Digs and/or cleans ditches around the drilling rig daily. Also cleans out mud pits twice monthly.

Qualifications:

To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

Education and/or Experience: Must possess a High School diploma.

Requires at least 3 years verifiable work experience.

* Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed at any time at the discretion of your manager, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.

Language Skills: Must possess good oral and written communication skills.

Mathematical Skills: Must possess basic math skills.

Ability:

Must possess good reasoning skills.

Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of himself/herself or others.

Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws, regulations and company’s safety policies.

Physical Demands:

The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable

accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

Sitting, standing, walking, lifting materials (maximum 100 pounds), carrying, pushing, pulling, climbing stairs, climbing using legs and arms, balancing,stooping, kneeling, repeated bends, crawling, reaching high and low, and repetitive twisting or pressure, involving wrist and hands. Hearing, seeing (including depth perception and peripheral vision), ability of rapid mental coordination simultaneously. Must be able to tolerate continuous vibrations and elevated noise

levels as well as tolerate wearing personal protective equipment, including, but not limited to, a hard hat, steel toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness. Mentally alert for entire regular shift.

I know this forum is an excellent source of information and I'm sure there are plenty of members here that could offer advice to get going in the right direction - I would truely appreciate some information on the above. Thanks in advance guys. :D

Hello geevlus;

I read your post and I really hope you can make the break into the O & G industry. You have the first requisite: enthusiasm. You mention that you are in your twenties. I hope it is early twenties, because you really need some qualifications and experience.

Engineering qualifications are best now, because the tradesman jobs, are done by eastern Europeans and Indians. The tradesmen supervisors might be British/American but they have 30 years experience under their belt.

So; get an engineering qualification and then you need a lucky break. I got my lucky break at 26 years of age, I had only been as far as Ibiza in my life, and I was thrown in the deep end: Saudi Arabia for five solid years. Once that was on my C.V. I knew I could get future employment.

So: to get your 'break' you need to know someone in the game: if you don't know anyone: find them. Could be O&G U.K. or better O&G Saudi. They often take 'newbies' in Saudi. Because if you can't take it, they send you home.

I am sure if you are determined enough you will get to the middle east, but it is never easy; it is not money for old rope, salaries are lower now and rotation is longer. Be prepared to say goodbye for 4 months and work a six day week.

Good luck. :o

Could be O&G U.K. or better O&G Saudi. They often take 'newbies' in Saudi. Because if you can't take it, they send you home.

I'm in Saudi since the last 14 yrs and it's true you often find newbies in Contracting companies, Petrochemical Industry etc. You won't find them a lot on the oil rigs though; at least I haven't come across any.

There's a huge construction boom going on in Saudi at the moment with a lot of expansions in Petrochemical so there's definately work out there but still without any qualifications it will be difficult specially if you have to compete against cheaper labor from South Africa and Asia.

I would really be interested in knowing what the OP's background is. If he has any certifications or has a degree. Maybe instead of focusing on the Middle East or SE Asia, perhaps he should focus on the North Sea. Companies are not going to take someone with no experience and move you halfway around the globe if they can find the same individual right in their own back yard. Unless you have a higher degree and have quite a few years under your belt in the O&G industry, your chances of getting placed abroad are slim.

Focus on those companies that are exploring or drilling in and around your country (such as the North Sea) and hope something comes up. If you are lucky enough and get on board, perhaps in a few years of experience, advanced certifications, you can get a chance to go elsewhere.

I'm focusing on projects here in the States. I keep my eyes open and when I talk to job recruiters, I mention that I am interested in the O&G industry, so they too have their eyes open.

Don't just focus on the O&G industry though. That would be a mistake. There is money to be made there, but you have to have the qualifications to justify it. Decide what fields you are interested and go to school for that (if you haven't already). Are you interested in science? Hands on types of jobs where you are repairing things? Focus on your interests and go from there. You will find something that pays well if you work hard, it may not be O&G though.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this is a slightly old post but just thought I would give an update.

I, like a few others on here have been interested in getting in to the O&G industry. I recently applied for a position in Texas with BP and today I received a call back from them wanting to talk further.

I'm still not sure it's the right job for me, but I'm definitely going to look in to it further. If anything, it could be a stepping stone to other possibilities.

What I wanted to say to those interested in the O&G industry is, keep at it. Continue looking because there are jobs out there.

Jamie

I am indeed reading this.

Can I say right up front, I'm an office based consultant engineer. I have nothing to do with recruitment, and while I did start my working life as a field worker, I have no direct contacts or connections with that work. So sorry I can't get anyone an introduction.

As for working in the middle east.

Sometime around 2nd quater next year I've got to decide if I want to go to the Middle East with my current project.

My criteria for making that decision will be almost entirely 'Safety/Security' but I'll also be looking at other options/other locations.

I think the oportunity of riches in the Oil and Gas industry is one that is fast disapearing, not because there are not riches to be made, but because employers are sourcing staff away from the west.

Why are they doing that? Because the skills they are looking for are almost impossible to find in the west.

My brother (also a consultant engineer on the O&G business) recently returned from the Black Sea. There are huge projects going on there and plenty of work. But the companies are recruing in the former Eastern Block/Asia.

You don't have to go all the way out east to find out why. Go to any UK/US based O&G Site project and you'll find almost all the craftsmen are in their late 40s and 50s. There are Very Very few young guys with the trade skills and qualifications the industry needs.

My advice to anyone wanting to get into this business would be get yourself real trade skills and qualifications.

Find yourself a local home based contracting firm working in the O&G business back home where you can learn the business.

I don't like giving news to put people off, but my view is that unless you have formal training in craft skills or a professional engineering qualification, then the O&G business is almost entirely closed to you.

Train as a plumber/electrician and set your own business up at home - You'll probably make more money.

Some very true statements there.Iam early / mid 30's and work for possible the biggest O&G company in the world in a senior Engineering role.Don't want to sound rude but earn a salary 90% of people only dream abt....yes, really is that much.There are very few guys below 40 in the industry suitably qualified.Infact in my position Iam quite possibly one of the youngest in the Industry World Wide.I've been overseas in the Industry since I was 24 which again was very young so have a good solid background.There is very rarely an easy back door entry.We are though crying out for people as the next 10 years will see a real shortage of Engineers.The INdians,Romanians will then take our jobs.Sad but true.

Iam early / mid 30's and work for possible the biggest O&G company in the world in a senior Engineering role

I looked at the biggest O&G Company in the World and settled for working for the best :o

What you say about where the industry is going and where the industry will source its staff is entirely true.

O&G in the West and for Westerners is a dieing industry.