Refused Entry at Bangkok Immigration

attachicon.gifIMG_2760.JPG

Thanks everyone for your comments,

My Girlfriend went to Immigration in Bangkok and had paperwork filled out for appeal,

She had with her my Current Work Contract plus other paperwork, hopefully will get a response in the next week or 2.

I have never over stayed my allotted time in thailand and i dont have any shady background.

there was a lot of things i could have and should have done on the night but hindsight is a great thing,

when your awake and travelling 18-20 hours, after having a few drinks on the plane tiredness creeps in and things get missed,

i have pasted what was stamped in passport

there isn't a Thai embassy in Ireland only a Consulate, i can apply for Tourist Visa in through Consulate in Ireland, but will do when i haven Passport,

its annoying as i was planning on coming back to Ireland on 13th this month to apply for new passport as i had only 2 pages free in current passport.

I have Iraqi visa in passport and easily seen i have from stamps dates in entered and left that country

So it states the flight number EK 370 Emirates.

And that you have come here to work.

With very little else to back that thought up other than the continued visa exemptions over a prolonged period.

Interesting indeed.

But still rather harsh I think.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 2

Immigration have the power to refuse entry if they feel there is sufficient reason which can be any of thousands of different things. They are as we all know a division of the police.

Not "thousands of different things" ! .....................................

See post number 12 for detail.

New to Thailand? Would appear so. Just like police can detain you if they have reasonable cause. Reasonable cause is open to interrprutation

Edited by gandalf12

Immigration have the power to refuse entry if they feel there is sufficient reason which can be any of thousands of different things. They are as we all know a division of the police.

New to Thailand? Would appear so. Just like police can detain you if they have reasonable cause. Reasonable cause is open to interrprutation

I have been here in Thailand for a very long time . I have never been detained by the Police or experienced difficulty with Immigration.

Is your comment related to personal experience ?

I work in West Africa on 64 days on 28 days off roster and been flying back to Thailand with visa exempt entry for over 3 years. Last time after my flight was cancelled I had to return through immigration at 4am as as airline had put us up at the Novotel at the airport. Immigration was alerted that I had too many visa exemption stamps. I was quickly interviewed by a supervisor and told that I wouldn't be allowed back to thai if I didn't obtain a visa before returning. I explained that I was a tourist, worked overseas but was renting an apartment but over the previous year had also traveled to Japan, Malaysia and Singapore but always returned to see my gf first. The immigration supervisor then typed a message on my passdport profile that will automatically alert when I pass through immigration everytime. I also explained that the closest embassy in Africa was over 2000kms away from where I am working and that I hadn't stayed more than 90 days in the previous 6 months in Thailand.The immigration supervisor informed me that it's her rules and she can do as she pleased. I managed to get a work mate to take my passport to the UK for me and I obtain a multi enrty tourist visa. I am due to fly back to Thailand in 2 days but I not sure if they will grant me entry. I plan to apply for a 5 year Elite Privileged Entry but i am unsure this make any difference? Seems like I got the supervisor on a bad day.

• Like 1

Surely as the OP asked, getting an new passport would wipe the slate clean?

Surely Thailand is in no way able to cross reference old and new Irish passports? I just don't believe it!

Thailand, the hub of cross referencing!

Its time to start believing that Thai Immigration are technologically up to date.

A New Passport will be linked to your profile upon arrival (Name, DOB and Photo).

• Like 1

Surely Thailand is in no way able to cross reference old and new Irish passports? I just don't believe it!

A couple ED extensions ago, the the girl at Immigration who was taking my webcam picture had her monitor pointed a little bit towards me when she took the pic, it was displaying all the webcam pics from all my entries, exits and extensions, including ones from when I had my previous passport, which had a different number.

Thailand is not exactly in the stone age with these things. Unless your new passport has a different name and DOB, which does not sound too legit, they will easily be able to match up your new record.

• Like 1

That post does not mention the possibility of obtaining a multiple entry non "O" visa, based on marriage, from Savannakhet which requires no finances to be shown

Edited by nowretired

Some may disagree...but I have come to the conclusion that when you are entertained by a Thai male IO and you tell him or them you have come to Thailand to visit your THAI GIRLFREIND or you have a Thai Girlfriend waiting for you to return..... then, without a doubt , some of the male Immigration officers may just deny you entry..... just out of spite.

If ever asked why you are coming to Thailand...Again????...Better to say you are on vacation and you like to go to ancient temples and study Buddhism...or something akin to that explanation while never mentioning anything about a Thai girlfriend.

If you get a Female Thai immigration officer it is also best to not mention anything about a Thai girlfriend as most of them would be thinking that your Thai girlfriend is ...well, you know...one of those kinds of Thai girls ...as an immigration officer is a highly respected position in the hierarchy of Thai society.

Just better to not say anything at all about Thai Girlfriends or even a Thai wife, if that is the case, as you can be assured SOME of the Immigration officers come with an attitude about all the foreign men coming here over and over again to see their Thai girlfriends.

It should not have to be that way....but..... it is simply all the more prudent to not mention anything about Thai girlfriends when passing through immigration if and when they question you as to why you come and go so often.

Cheers

A couple ED extensions ago, the the girl at Immigration who was taking my webcam picture had her monitor pointed a little bit towards me when she took the pic, it was displaying all the webcam pics from all my entries, exits and extensions, including ones from when I had my previous passport, which had a different number.

Thailand is not exactly in the stone age with these things. Unless your new passport has a different name and DOB, which does not sound too legit, they will easily be able to match up your new record.

That is correct....and no surprise to me.....they know who is coming and going ...and if need be they can research the data and make a case against you easily enough....if they want to or need to or if they are TOLD to do so.

Cheers

Some may disagree...but I have come to the conclusion that when you are entertained by a Thai male IO and you tell him or them you have come to Thailand to visit your THAI GIRLFREIND or you have a Thai Girlfriend waiting for you to return..... then, without a doubt , some of the male Immigration officers may just deny you entry..... just out of spite.

If ever asked why you are coming to Thailand...Again????...Better to say you are on vacation and you like to go to ancient temples and study Buddhism...or something akin to that explanation while never mentioning anything about a Thai girlfriend.

If you get a Female Thai immigration officer it is also best to not mention anything about a Thai girlfriend as most of them would be thinking that your Thai girlfriend is ...well, you know...one of those kinds of Thai girls ...as an immigration officer is a highly respected position in the hierarchy of Thai society.

Just better to not say anything at all about Thai Girlfriends or even a Thai wife, if that is the case, as you can be assured SOME of the Immigration officers come with an attitude about all the foreign men coming here over and over again to see their Thai girlfriends.

It should not have to be that way....but..... it is simply all the more prudent to not mention anything about Thai girlfriends when passing through immigration if and when they question you as to why you come and go so often.

Cheers

Utter nonsense and generalisation,it does nothing of the such.

The last time I was questioned the female IO officer asked me where I lived and how many children I had due to observing a previous 60 day extension in my passport for visiting a Thai dependant.

• Like 1

I have been here in Thailand for a very long time . I have never been detained by the Police or experienced difficulty with Immigration.

Is your comment related to personal experience ?

Never had a problem with immigration or te police and I have been here over 30 years

I think many of these stops and rejections are based on CYA - Cover Your Ass... and the SRDH... S Rolls Down Hill. And they are unofficially related to the various security scares much of the time. With this bombing and now a known fact that Immigration Officers on the Cambodian border were relieved of their assignment just a few days ago... causes anal sphincter contraction. And all this is the reason it makes little sense - no consistent policy applied.

Anyone on 28/28 and is not carrying proof of employment as to out of Thailand employer is just creating problems for himself. Because it is easy to do .... so why not.

I support my stated belief above based on what just happened to a guy I know in Krabi area. He has had numerous 30 day exemptions and even with paper worked he had on his person relative to his wife's soon to be granted Non 'O' to which he would be attached - pending approval in one week - he was denied EXIT at Rayong - going to Burma... The I/Os said if you go out - we won't let you back in. He had to fly to K/L to get another 30 Exempt Entry.

This is not quite like OP's experience but it shows the wackiness of what goes on ...

Same time .. in the past 6 months I have coached friends on how to get ANOTHER 2 Entry TR visa in Vientiane and it worked both times - nothing ask - worked perfect. And if even remotely possible -- GET A VISA... Find a way ... route your flights to stop an get a visa ... Better than being FORCED to route your unexpected flight to home or some other place.

If I've said it once I've said it a million times - "Don't Exaggerate!" (The Young Ones?)

• Like 1

Cheers

The last time I was questioned the female IO officer asked me where I lived and how many children I had due to observing a previous 60 day extension in my passport for visiting a Thai dependant.

As I said: Some may disagree while obviously you think that could never happen or has never happened.

Your one man example does nothing to change the fact that any immigration officer can and will do as they please concerning you, the foreign national, entering his country.

We are hearing about more and more incidents where foreigners that have been coming and going for years are being denied entry while you and everyone else has no Idea of just how many people are being denied as we never hear about it.

What we hear about on Thai Visa is probably just a small fraction of how many people are being denied entry into the Kingdom...at the discretion of the Thai immigration officers.

If you doubt the reason that I cited could not happen or has never happened then you are living in a dream world while the officer will never tell you their feelings rather they will just make some sort of official reasons as to why you are denied entry. ...and send you back to where you came from.

It is always prudent to say what they want to hear.

You tell them what ever you want when you enter the country as that is your prerogative, while others will tell them nothing about coming to Thailand to see their Thai girlfriend or Thai "girlfriends" or anything about coming to Thailand to party hardy.

Cheers.....and try not to be so "Irksome" in your next post....lol

Edited by gemguy

Cheers

I think you are correct. I also think it would be better to say you are here to visit your boyfriend. The female IOs would think it was cute and the males wouldn't care if you were humpin' a guy. Hell, if he was gay he might ask you out! Edited by MZurf

Cheers

As I said: Some may disagree while obviously you think that could never happen or has never happened.

Your one man example does nothing to change the fact that any immigration officer can and will do as they please concerning you, the foreign national, entering his country.

We are hearing about more and more incidents where foreigners that have been coming and going for years are being denied entry while you and everyone else has no Idea of just how many people are being denied as we never hear about it.

What we hear about on Thai Visa is probably just a small fraction of how many people are being denied entry into the Kingdom...at the discretion of the Thai immigration officers.

If you doubt the reason that I cited could not happen or has never happened then you are living in a dream world while the officer will never tell you their feelings rather they will just make some sort of official reasons as to why you are denied entry. ...and send you back to where you came from.

You tell them what ever you want when you enter the country as that is your prerogative, while others will tell them nothing about coming to Thailand to see their Thai girlfriend or Thai "girlfriends" or anything about coming to Thailand to party hardy.

"What we hear about on Thai Visa is probably just a small fraction of how many people are being denied entry into the Kingdom...at the discretion of the Thai immigration officers"

Whereas the above is true, how many successful entries on visa exemption do you read about here?

Not many i would wager, but i would also bet that the percentage of people given entry will be much higher than those being refused.

Bad news is good news as it will always get a greater reaction.....................wink.png

Cheers

I think you are over-playing the autonomy of the IO.

The is no evidence ofthem going around willy-nilly arbitrarily denying entry at a whim.

The reverse is infact true. They have a set of immigration rules to work by and these are in the public domain. The final decision rests with them and if they consider someone to be in breach of those rules they could well deny entry. In the case of the OP they had every right to raise their questions. In the absence of satisfactory answers denial is not unreasonable.

I believe that the numbers being denied entry are very small. I also think there is greater diligence at the moment due to recent events in Bangkok.

• Like 1

They really dislike people who dont pay into the immigration system , next time pay the 45 dollars and get a tourist visa

Rubbish,did somebody at Immi tell you that.Millions come in without visa,do they dislike them all.
Given the hostile attitude of some officers I have seen in action/dealt with, yes, I would say they dislike each and every one of us, with or without visas...
never had a problem in 34 years
  • Like 1

They really dislike people who dont pay into the immigration system , next time pay the 45 dollars and get a tourist visa

The Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme is part of the Immigration system and a completely valid way for nationals from qualifying countries to enter. If it were just about money they could simply charge 2,000 baht every time someone entered! And if they didn't want people entering this way they'd scrap it.

The reason genuine users of visa exemption are suffering is because other foreigners have abused the system for years. And I don't mean those entering many times. The regulation actually states qualifying nationals are entitled to "multiple entries". It's the foreigners that work here illegally that people should be mad at, not immigration. They are the target and innocent people like the OP are suffering because of them.

• Like 2

Cheers

Do Thai male immigration officers get even more spiteful if you tell them you have children here,or if you have a Thailand Elite visa or are a successful businessman.

I would be intrigued to know on what grounds you draw your conclusions.

Is it merely through paranoia,pub chat or hard facts and statistics that you base your observations.

The bottom line is if you fit the visa requirements of the kingdom and go about keeping the correct visas and paperwork in order then there will be minimal risk of being refused entry.

Also given that generally those who have been denied entry in the case of the opening poster seem to have an understanding of the Kingdom and its visa regulations due to frequent travel and residing here temporarily over many years is it really surprising when these problems do arise due to not obtaining a visa.

You say: I would be intrigued to know on what grounds you draw your conclusions.

I will answer like this:

I would be intrigued to know on what grounds you draw your conclusions that it never happens and never will happen......even if it is only once and even if it happens to someone else....as it could happen to anyone...you included .....but fortunately more than likely does not happen often....but still I recommend it is best not to be telling the immigration officers you are coming here to see your girlfriend or girlfriends as maybe ( as in maybe) the immigrations officer could or does have a small minded attitude about all the foreign MEN coming here for ....you know what...lol

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Cheers

I think you are correct. I also think it would be better to say you are here to visit your boyfriend. The female IOs would think it was cute and the males wouldn't care if you were humpin' a guy. Hell, if he was gay he might ask you out!

I concur...some would laugh some would frown and just stamp you through as they usually do anyhow.

Cheers

Cheers

I think you are over-playing the autonomy of the IO.

The is no evidence ofthem going around willy-nilly arbitrarily denying entry at a whim.

The reverse is infact true. They have a set of immigration rules to work by and these are in the public domain. The final decision rests with them and if they consider someone to be in breach of those rules they could well deny entry. In the case of the OP they had every right to raise their questions. In the absence of satisfactory answers denial is not unreasonable.

I believe that the numbers being denied entry are very small. I also think there is greater diligence at the moment due to recent events in Bangkok.

Of course the numbers being denied are small as compared to the multi millions ( 18 million plus) of entries according to statistics posted here in the Thai Visa.

However, If you think no one has been turned down because the immigration officer has decided he has some personal reason for turning someone down and then using a supposedly official reason....such as: "I think you are working here"...... when it is pretty clear the OP is not working here...then you would be mistaken if you think immigration officers can not be all small minded and nasty....as some are, while most are not.

I have never had any problems....but still I do not tell the officers I am coming here for my girlfriend or girlfriends......even if they ask...I just avoid that aspect of why many male foreigners do come to Thailand...beside all the other enjoyments.

Cheers

OK, so if this SHOULD happen to you (i.e., denied entry by an IO at Suvarnabhumi), exactly how do you go about submitting the appeal? Will it keep you from being shuttled back to your own country while it's pending, or is this something that takes place from outside the country after you've been shipped back? Is there any practicality involved in it at all? Must you have someone in Thailand handling it for you as your representative?

Please. No general answers. If you don't know the details about how the appeal is accomplished, you needn't bother responding to this question. Only interested in a description of exactly what to do, not repeated citations of the statute.

OK, so if this SHOULD happen to you (i.e., denied entry by an IO at Suvarnabhumi), exactly how do you go about submitting the appeal?

First thought would be to follow the guidence: Call 1155 – for urgent incidents and Call 1111 – for submitting general complaints.

If people here believe that Thai Immigration Officers are not at times arbitrary and conpricious based on their own biases ... then I have some ocean front property to sell you in Oklahoma USA... Not only that CAN happen but just any old bad day, recent security events, jealous of your perceived wealth. I have heard too many person to person stories to believe otherwise. On the contrary ... Most times at every entry point it is routine. But the sheer numbers of exits and entries gives rise to the probability that these events happen -- when given the often unaccountable nature of being on a border post and doing what one wants to do -- not by the book in some cases.

While Exempt Entries are on the BOOKS - they are the most picked on method of Entry by all reports ... So if at all possible GET A VISA... Most of the negative reports on TVF are not about people holding valid visas... plain and simple.

• Like 2

I have travelled in/out regularly on visa exempt entries for quite a while now. Always stay for much less than 30 days eg. Few days around a weekend.

Have noticed increasing scrutiny of passport stamps and last time IO told me I was flagged on block list on the computer system for more than 6 entries of 10 days over past year. IO asked me if I was working in Thailand. When I said no (which is correct) IO said they would make a note in system to remove the flag. We will see next week what happens!

• Like 1