British man rescued from manhole in Bangkok

webfact

Not a story you want to brag about on your Facebook page, I suppose.

British national + Bangkok night out + 11.30 pm + uncovered manhole = drunk as a skunk

Does that equation compute?

11:30 pm = dark

open manhole cover = terrible safety standards in Thailand

British national = not raised in a third world country with third world safety standards

If they were leaving the bar at 11:30 pm on a weeknight, I wouldn't assume they were falling down drunk. This guy is lucky to be alive. He easily could have hit his head on the way down and drowned in a river of shit. In a first world country multiple people would be fired for this, and he'd probably be suing the city for negligence, but TiT...

Good thing it wasn't raining or he'd have been flushed out in Jomtien somewhere.

Not sure where Jomtien might enter the story, he was 150km away in Pathum Thani.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You don't sustain minor injuries from falling down that thing!

Good Lord! Who are they kidding?

God only knows what infections he's in the process of catching right now. I mean, he's bound to have had an open wound somewhere on his body/legs.....

I have just read that he vowed to take legal action too. I hope all his paperwork is in order for the business that he manages. Call me jaded/experienced, but he could be inadvertently heading for trouble. Up s**t creek without a paddle so to speak. I wish him all the best on his quest.

Yes quite right to kick up a stink !

British national + Bangkok night out + 11.30 pm + uncovered manhole = drunk as a skunk

11:30 pm = dark

open manhole cover = terrible safety standards in Thailand

British national = not raised in a third world country with third world safety standards

If they were leaving the bar at 11:30 pm on a weeknight, I wouldn't assume they were falling down drunk. This guy is lucky to be alive. He easily could have hit his head on the way down and drowned in a river of shit. In a first world country multiple people would be fired for this, and he'd probably be suing the city for negligence, but TiT...

Good thing it wasn't raining or he'd have been flushed out in Jomtien somewhere.

Not sure where Jomtien might enter the story, he was 150km away in Pathum Thani.

Sarcasm is lost on far too many people.

Could have been worse. He could have headed to Thermae...

Please do not remind me. Ix-nay on the Thermae!

She ground her teeth in her sleep all night & I wasn't bombed enough to sleep thru it. What a hideous noise.....

That was my one & only Thermae experience.

I heard of a bird's eye view, but not a rat's eye view.

Never presume that the street you are walking on is nothing less than a man trap. Especially wading through water. I had to wade through waist deep water in Phnom Penh..during a flash flood. All the way from "The Walkabout Hotel" to the Riverfront area (IndoChine Hotel). My method was to slide my feet (feeling for drains/drop offs). It was 10pm...and full of garbage, rats, mud and englishmen.

Took at least 5 hot showers before I felt clean.

Edited by slipperylobster

I fail to see what is so amusing about this unfortunate episode.

Seems that many do though, wonder if it would still be a laugh if it were themselves?

Laugh, they would be dining out on it for years. What a wet blanket you are.

Yesterday on a very busy mainroad i noticed they made new streetdrains at the side of the road.

They were the big ones who will get a steel grid to cover them. However the drains were still open and uncovered! Any motorbike who drives into them has a very serious problem, even a whole carwheel can easy totally go in.

Oh well, welcome to Thailand.......whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Quite often Thai TV news features either a man, a child, a horse, a dog or a buffalo that has fallen down an uncovered hole, be it well, sewer, whatever. Every time I ask myself the same question. Did no one foresee the inevitable? Thais seem to have no concept of the old adage, "a stitch in time saves nine". Or in this case, leave an uncovered hole and sooner or later something is going to fall in it, and cause injury and possibly death.

I had a similar experience whilst living on Koh Phangan . I was walking along the beach in Baan Kai when all of a sudden the sand gave way under my feet and I found myself buried up to my chest, fortunately my wife was with me and she managed to get help from a group of Thai workers who got me out it was a frightening experience . I hope the dude is okay if it were in the Western world he would be suing the local council for lots of money !

I had a similar experience whilst living on Koh Phangan . I was walking along the beach in Baan Kai when all of a sudden the sand gave way under my feet and I found myself buried up to my chest, fortunately my wife was with me and she managed to get help from a group of Thai workers who got me out it was a frightening experience . I hope the dude is okay if it were in the Western world he would be suing the local council for lots of money !

If it was in a certain country, you can sue anyone for anything.

No it does not compute and you are jumping to conclusions with absolutely nothing to substantiate them.

I do not know your nationality but not all Brits in Thailand who go out with friends in the evening are drunks. However, if the cap fits wear it.

Just because you drink to excess on a night out, why do you assume everyone else does?

Cause he is a Pom cheesy.gif