Trump signs pledge to back GOP's 2016 presidential nominee

webfact

Trump signs pledge to back GOP's 2016 presidential nominee
By STEVE PEOPLES

WASHINGTON (AP) — Presidential candidate Donald Trump ruled out the prospect of a third-party White House bid Thursday and vowed to support the Republican Party's nominee — whoever it may be.

The billionaire businessman announced his decision in a raucous news conference at Trump Tower, the gold-hued skyscraper in midtown Manhattan where he launched his surging and front-running campaign for president.

"I have signed the pledge," Trump said, adding that he intends to win the nomination himself and face whoever the Democrats nominate.

"So, I will be totally pledging my allegiance to the Republican Party and the conservative principles for which it stands, and we will go out and we will fight hard and we will win," he said.

Trump's decision comes weeks after he roiled the race for the GOP nomination when, in response to the first question at the opening debate of the 2016 campaign, he refused to promise to back the party's nominee if he fell short.

He was intensely lobbied by Republican National Committee leaders, who have struggled to rein in the unpredictable former reality television star. Trump announced his decision shortly after meeting privately with RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, who angrily challenged Trump at the debate, took credit for what he termed Trump's "capitulation."

"I spent the last few weeks making sure people knew it was not acceptable to potentially throw the next election to Hillary," Paul wrote on Twitter, referring to Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton.

The decision puts an end — for now — to the nervousness felt inside the GOP about the prospect of Trump holding firm and keeping his options open. At the debate, he said that gave him "a lot of leverage."

The pledge is not legally binding. Trump could always change his mind, particularly if GOP establishment leaders take aggressive steps to thwart his candidacy in the coming months.

"I see no circumstances under which I would tear up that pledge," Trump said Thursday.

If not for Trump, the need for such a loyalty oath probably would not exist. There were no doubts about the intentions of the GOP's other major presidential contenders headed into the debate, and they quickly lined up Thursday to sign.

"The RNC clearly felt it had to box Trump into a decision," said Doug Watts, a spokesman for fellow candidate and retired surgeon Ben Carson. "We just sort of shrugged our shoulders, and that's the end of that."

A third-party bid by Trump could harm the GOP's efforts to take back the White House after eight years of Democratic President Barack Obama. He leads the Republican field in what are still very early polls.

RNC officials had been working with Trump's campaign to avoid such a scenario. In recent days, Trump hinted the lobbying was beginning to work. "I think a lot of people are going to be very happy," he said Saturday in Tennessee.

The RNC's pledge asks candidates to promise to "endorse the 2016 Republican presidential nominee regardless of who it is." Further, it asks them to pledge "that I will not seek to run as an independent or write-in candidate, nor will I seek or accept the nomination for president of any other party."

"It is, more than anything, your word," former technology executive Carly Fiorina said Thursday on CNN's "New Day." ''And I would presume that somebody running for president would like to signal to the American people, and most especially right now to Republican primary voters, that their word can be trusted."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-04

Like him or loathe him, he has single handedly brought the RNC to their knees and knocking at his door.

They never saw Trumps run for POTUS coming and when they eventually got wind of it, they thought it would be a short lived event and played it all down.

Now they are paying for the contempt they showed his campaign.

There must be a lot of worried big money Republican donors thinking they are not going to get a ROI from backing the establishment politicians to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

The circus continues.

Yes, I posted in another thread that his talk was bluff, but it worked. He got a commitment out of the brass at GOP that they would back him if he's nominated. It first they tried to run him off and didn't take him seriously. That includes Fox News which had to eat a lot of crow to keep from getting boycotted by the #1 news item going.

He got what he wanted and the circus of the US elections continues, on both sides. It would be hard to say that this election is boring, LOL. thumbsup.gif

Yes, I posted in another thread that his talk was bluff, but it worked. He got a commitment out of the brass at GOP that they would back him if he's nominated. It first they tried to run him off and didn't take him seriously. That includes Fox News which had to eat a lot of crow to keep from getting boycotted by the #1 news item going.

He got what he wanted and the circus of the US elections continues, on both sides. It would be hard to say that this election is boring, LOL. thumbsup.gif

No. US elections continue with chaos on the Republican side. The Republican base has shown what they think of the GOP establishment candidates, with foul mouth, ego maniac, businessman Trump and wackadoddle doctor Ben Carlsen, comfortably ahead of the field. All 17 GOP candidates are unelectable with no clear policies for helping or reason for the middle-class to vote for them. All the Republican candidates have professed unpopular positions against abortion, ending social security, health insurance and foreign policy positions. The entire field has gone misogynistic and racist trying to appeal to the wingnutoshere base of the party.

The old GOP fear tactics that have worked so well in the past haven't gained any traction with the independents.

The Republican party is in deep trouble. Their hatred of Hillary Clinton clouds their ability to see just how far behind the thinking of the big majority of the electorate. The far right wing policies of the entire Republican party is not popular with the average American. Of course, when all you listen to is Fox News you have a different view of life in America.

"A Zogby Analytics poll of 850 adults 18-34 years old conducted on August 25 reveals that if Millennials turnout to vote (and they will in a Presidential election), the GOP faces nothing short of a catastrophic election."

It doesn't matter who the nominee is for the Republicans, they're toast. Does anyone seriously think Donald Trump has a prayer of being elected President? Jeb Bush? Who then and why would anyone vote for them?

It's over before it begins. Doesn't matter who the Democrats chose. The lemmings are on their way off a cliff, led by the mouth with a comb over and the crazy black brain surgeon. That's something to LOL about. thumbsup.gif

http://www.zogbyanalytics.com/news/638-zogby-millennials-poll-reveals-depth-of-gop-problem

"The pledge is not legally binding. Trump could always change his mind, particularly if GOP establishment leaders take aggressive steps to thwart his candidacy in the coming months."

This much was discussed on CNN this morning. Trump is a loose cannon and completely unpredictable. If he doesn't win the GOP nomination, it's even money that he would still run as a third-party candidate. And all he has to say is "I changed my mind." He's done it before...like when he switched from Dem to Rep.

Strange how this media report doesn't cite his most significant credentials as a presidential candidate to be, 'successful billionaire businessman and property tycoon', but opt for 'unpredictable former reality television star'.

Sounds to me like the RNC are the only ones taking him seriously and if that is a reflection on the quality of their leadership, that's quite serious.

Like him or loathe him, he has single handedly brought the RNC to their knees and knocking at his door.

They never saw Trumps run for POTUS coming and when they eventually got wind of it, they thought it would be a short lived event and played it all down.

Now they are paying for the contempt they showed his campaign.

There must be a lot of worried big money Republican donors thinking they are not going to get a ROI from backing the establishment politicians to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

The circus continues.

Funny how politicians can push people so far and then when least expected get a backlash. Just when they think they have us mindless dummies doing their bidding we prove them wrong. Methinks in time history will repeat itself and when enough becomes enough something similar to the French Revolution will occur. I hope everybody keeps their head in the tough times a-head. The real modern problem is to find the rich scumbags that control the money/marionette strings. They are so imbedded in multi layers of ownership its hard to figure out who owns what these days thanks to the Fed cheap money program for the last number of years. I have never seen Monopoly played with real money before.

All 17 GOP candidates are unelectable with no clear policies for helping or reason for the middle-class to vote for them.

As usual, your whole post is partisan nonsense, but this ridiculous statement stands out. The Republicans have a strong field with some very electable candidates. Competition in the public school system, restructuring the complicated tax code, and job creation policies will bolster the middle class and put the USA back on a path towards economic success.
"Back on a path to economic success"

??

As if America hasn't already been on that path since Bush left office?

DJIA http://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

Unemployment rate http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

10y real GDP Growth

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp-growth

Housing starts

http://www.macrotrends.net/1314/housing-starts-historical-chart

Federal budget deficit

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-annual-budget-deficit-remains-near-7-year-low-in-june-1436810691

Sadly, regardless of who was president, real median income growth has remained flat. http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/us/

The culprits for lack of income growth? My guess: free trade agreements designed to benefit corporations instead of workers, Republican opposition to higher minimum wages, high cost of healthcare, failure of 30 years of "trickle down economics," tax cuts for the rich at the expense of earned wage tax benefits, funnelling of national wealth to defence spending at the expense of infrastructure improvements, R&D and education/health.

People forget how deep was the recession that began in 2007; it was the closest we've come to a 1930s style full-on, Earth-shaking depression. It was the culmination of failed Reagan/Clinton/Bush policies. The Obama administration has been fighting that fire remarkably well while winding down two major wars with no help and small-minded, spiteful hindrance from Republican's at both National and State levels.

It's ok to have differences and to come at issues from different ideological perspectives. But it's impossible to have any constructive dialogue (and thus any solutions) if one eschews facts and data and just engage in exchanging meaningless ideological attacks. One of the reasons American working families are suffering more than need be is a failure both by the media and the political class to engage in constructive, fact-based dialogue and to institute pragmatic solutions that work, regardless of ideology.

Sometimes right wing solutions work better than left wing ones, and vice versa.

Finding the right solutions starts with acknowledging the facts. "Seek truth from facts" is a good adage--even if it was a commie (Deng Xiao-ping) that espoused it because, as another commie (Jesus) said, "the truth shall make you free."

There is no shame in changing one's position on anything when presented with new evidence or cogent argument. I have done it often, and happily, because every time that I have done so, I have been rewarded with the pleasure of a fresher, more enlightened self.

T

post-22628-0-09499200-1441349637_thumb.j

post-22628-0-20893700-1441349657_thumb.j

post-22628-0-89773200-1441349671_thumb.j

post-22628-0-01455500-1441349688_thumb.j

post-22628-0-66959000-1441349703_thumb.j

post-22628-0-68933200-1441349717_thumb.j

Not a Trump fan other than for late night comedy shows but, I watched last night and he was slick, took all questions, was definitely credible in his presentation if not his ideas and plans. He can remain self funded until he possibly wins the GOP nomination at which time the GOP and super-packs will move into high gear. Any GOP candidate or Hillary takes his candidacy

lightly at there peril. Not beholding to special interest money is a huge plus. It will be as always the best of reality television. facepalm.gif

Yeah, he has them on their knees alright - but they're not knocking at his door while they're down there. Something quite else. Bunch of Heather Brookes, but not as good looking or entertaining. Can't wait for the money shot - which I suppose is Trump's puckered & pursed lip look.

All 17 GOP candidates are unelectable with no clear policies for helping or reason for the middle-class to vote for them.

As usual, your whole post is partisan nonsense, but this ridiculous statement stands out. The Republicans have a strong field with some very electable candidates. Competition in the public school system, restructuring the complicated tax code, and job creation policies will bolster the middle class and put the USA back on a path towards economic success.

Are you referring to the economic success that the last GOP president left them with?

The Economist has done a major interview with Trump. It's well worth reading. Equally valuable would be to listen to the 40 minute long interview on the Economist podcast. There's the usual chaff of inane conservative talking points and the obligatory Trump bombast. But Trump also goes into a lot of details, shirks no questions and makes some good points. I can understand now his popularity among Republicans. Apart from Trump, Sanders is the only other candidate that has gone into such detail and tackled every question head on. I still wouldn't vote for Trump, but I was a little relieved to see that he isn't as big a clown as he makes himself out to be when facing American Rally crowds.

It's a great interview and whatever you think of his politics, the guy is never boring and the opposit of all the other Republican weasels.

T

A post has been removed as well as the replies:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

No. US elections continue with chaos on the Republican side. The Republican base has shown what they think of the GOP establishment candidates, with foul mouth, ego maniac, businessman Trump and wackadoddle doctor Ben Carlsen, comfortably ahead of the field. All 17 GOP candidates are unelectable with no clear policies for helping or reason for the middle-class to vote for them. All the Republican candidates have professed unpopular positions against abortion, ending social security, health insurance and foreign policy positions. The entire field has gone misogynistic and racist trying to appeal to the wingnutoshere base of the party.

The old GOP fear tactics that have worked so well in the past haven't gained any traction with the independents.

The Republican party is in deep trouble. Their hatred of Hillary Clinton clouds their ability to see just how far behind the thinking of the big majority of the electorate. The far right wing policies of the entire Republican party is not popular with the average American. Of course, when all you listen to is Fox News you have a different view of life in America.

"A Zogby Analytics poll of 850 adults 18-34 years old conducted on August 25 reveals that if Millennials turnout to vote (and they will in a Presidential election), the GOP faces nothing short of a catastrophic election."

It doesn't matter who the nominee is for the Republicans, they're toast. Does anyone seriously think Donald Trump has a prayer of being elected President? Jeb Bush? Who then and why would anyone vote for them?

It's over before it begins. Doesn't matter who the Democrats chose. The lemmings are on their way off a cliff, led by the mouth with a comb over and the crazy black brain surgeon. That's something to LOL about. thumbsup.gif

http://www.zogbyanalytics.com/news/638-zogby-millennials-poll-reveals-depth-of-gop-problem

Trump beating all the Democratic contenders, head to head. Doesn't need the hispanic vote because he is getting 25-26 percent of the black vote, which doesn't like immigration. Trump is coming. http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=d950cadf-05ce-4148-a125-35c0cdab26c6

??

You seem to be getting confused between the longest recovery from a recession in 150 years and "ECONOMIC SUCCESS". They are two different things. blink.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

??

You seem to be getting confused between the longest recovery from a recession in 150 years and "ECONOMIC SUCCESS". They are two different things. blink.png

If so, it just shows how deep and damaging the Bush recession was.

T

September 04, 2015, 08:13 pm

Poll: Trump beats Hillary head-to-head

By Elliot Smilowitz

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump leads Democrat Hillary Clinton head-to-head, according to a new poll released Friday.
The poll by SurveyUSA finds that matched up directly, Trump garners 45 percent to Clinton’s 40 percent.
In other head-to-head matchups, Trump beats out Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) by 44 percent to 40 percent; Vice President Joe Biden by 44 percent to 42 percent; and former Vice President Al Gore by 44 percent to 41 percent.
Trump’s surge past Clinton marks a dramatic turnaround in the polls.
A CNN/ORC sampling of national voters in late June — just days after Trump entered the race — found that 59 percent supported Clinton to 34 percent picking Trump in a head-to-head race.
The same poll taken in July saw Clinton at 57 percent to Trump at 38 percent. And a version taken in August had Clinton with 52 percent support and Trump with 43 percent.
Trump has seen his campaign’s popularity surge through the summer while Clinton’s has struggled with voter concerns over her transparency and trustworthiness as secretary of State.
The poll also found that 30 percent of respondents believe Trump will eventually be the Republican nominee, leading the field.
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush came in second, with 20 percent saying they expect him to win the nomination. Following Bush in order were retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.).
The poll surveyed 1,000 adults across the nation Sept. 2-3, and it had a margin of error of 3.3 percent.
- Updated at 11:52 a.m. on Sept. 5

September 04, 2015, 08:13 pm

By Elliot Smilowitz

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump leads Democrat Hillary Clinton head-to-head, according to a new poll released Friday.
The poll by SurveyUSA finds that matched up directly, Trump garners 45 percent to Clinton’s 40 percent.
In other head-to-head matchups, Trump beats out Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) by 44 percent to 40 percent; Vice President Joe Biden by 44 percent to 42 percent; and former Vice President Al Gore by 44 percent to 41 percent.
A CNN/ORC sampling of national voters in late June — just days after Trump entered the race — found that 59 percent supported Clinton to 34 percent picking Trump in a head-to-head race.
The same poll taken in July saw Clinton at 57 percent to Trump at 38 percent. And a version taken in August had Clinton with 52 percent support and Trump with 43 percent.
Trump has seen his campaign’s popularity surge through the summer while Clinton’s has struggled with voter concerns over her transparency and trustworthiness as secretary of State.
The poll also found that 30 percent of respondents believe Trump will eventually be the Republican nominee, leading the field.
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush came in second, with 20 percent saying they expect him to win the nomination. Following Bush in order were retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.).
The poll surveyed 1,000 adults across the nation Sept. 2-3, and it had a margin of error of 3.3 percent.
- Updated at 11:52 a.m. on Sept. 5

Look inside the poll and you'll see that Trump is beginning to appeal to Black voters, which is why he doesn't need hispanics. Blacks realize that immigrants take their jobs, take over their neighborhoods, lower their wages, and even effect their affirmative action quota percentages. If Trump climbs five or six more percent among Black voters, then the game is over. SanderClintonBide is a cooked goose.

Trump is like an aggressive Romney. He is promising lots of things but underneath there is no substance and very little connection to reality.

And every reporter who presses him ends up being on the receiving end of a Trump Taunt.

I doubt he'll get down to the wire, but if he does, I suspect he's going to blow up spectacularly when people start asking him for details.

Trump is like an aggressive Romney. He is promising lots of things but underneath there is no substance and very little connection to reality.

And every reporter who presses him ends up being on the receiving end of a Trump Taunt.

I doubt he'll get down to the wire, but if he does, I suspect he's going to blow up spectacularly when people start asking him for details.

obviously, you haven't been paying attention.

Not a Trump fan other than for late night comedy shows but, I watched last night and he was slick, took all questions, was definitely credible in his presentation if not his ideas and plans. He can remain self funded until he possibly wins the GOP nomination at which time the GOP and super-packs will move into high gear. Any GOP candidate or Hillary takes his candidacy

lightly at there peril. Not beholding to special interest money is a huge plus. It will be as always the best of reality television. facepalm.gif

Like I said, someone has not been paying attention.

Like I said, someone has not been paying attention.

If you are going to try and act like a know all, knowing it all is actually a prerequisite, otherwise you just look silly.

But since you weren't paying attention.....

Donald Trump tore into radio host Hugh Hewitt as a "third-rate radio announcer" on Friday after the Republican presidential candidate struggled to answer a question about the leaders of major terrorist groups the previous day.

The move followed a familiar script for the real estate mogul who has unexpectedly soared to the top of the Republican presidential polls: When backed into a corner, go on the attack and change the headlines.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/donald-trump-2016-hugh-hewitt-fight-213338

It seems that his response to anyone asking him difficult questions is to publicly insult them.

Edited by Chicog