Jomtien Beach facelift 20% complete

Rimmer

Jomtien Beach facelift 20% complete

n3Progress.jpg

PATTAYA:--Contractors have completed about 20 percent of the work to redevelop Jomtien Beach, but have removed a number of trees to the consternation of local residents.

The project begun in March aims to give the Jomtien beachfront a similar look to Pattaya Beach, with its wide promenade and public areas. Work covers 40,000 sq. meters from Yin Yom Beach to the Soi Chaiyapruek-Jomtien Beach Road intersection, a distance of four kilometers.

So far, many large trees have been removed, prompting widespread grumbling and online criticism of the city. The city, however, is urging patience, noting new trees will be planted eventually.

Workers have started to lay sidewalk tiles after retouching the landscape and leveling the height to connect to the road. Work currently is focused on the 10,000 sq. meters surrounding the Dongtan Curve.

Over the years, Jomtien Beach has been heavily affected by rain, floods and erosion. City Hall inked a 270-million-baht contract with Nong Nooch Land and Garden Design Co. to renovate the beachfront to not only look better and offer more facilities, but better protect it from the elements.

Suntorn Sompramai, director of construction control for the Pattaya Engineering Department, said various meetings have been held to discuss future plans for the facelift. The project is slated for completion in 2017.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/jomtien-beach-facelift-20-complete-50846#sthash.KdKnWGRz.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-09-05 footer_n.gif

I really like the part that's almost done, the side walk is walkable and for me that have trouble walking it's a big improvement from before. It also look nice. To say it's brainless it's a little bit hash.

I think for the majority of tourists it a welcomed improvement.

The beach front was looking a bit run down but to butcher those old trees was totally unnecessary. sad.png

they will plant palm trees that give hardly any shade and the whole lot of these "improvements" will look shabby and run down again in a very short time ! facepalm.gif

I remember what it looked like in 1987, including the 5 inches of sand and rubbish covering the main road and the black stinking raw sewerage being pumped along open drains into the ocean.

And the under cover cop standing on the street corner, asking all the farung if they wanted maraguana, then soon after that, while drinking the opium whiskey at the bamboo bars, the rest of that trip became a bit fuzzywai.gif

Edited by ZuluSixNine

As soon as it's done, it'll be packed with the less discriminating Chinese tourists. They like sterility, which in their minds equals modernity and which is always preferred. Dubai, although far afield, is an example. Dubai is not just a collection of skyscrapers; it also has a remarkable and romantic souk (a casbah-like market straddling both sides of an inlet of the Arabian Gulf) that is breathtaking in how it reminds you of the days of the Ottoman Empire, T.E. Lawrence, the Arabian Nights, etc.etc. Do you think the Chinese would appreciate it? My ex-wife who is Chinese was appalled when I brought her there as a first stop of a sightseeing tour upon her arrival. She said her heart sank because it looked to her like the city was just "some old place." She breathed a sigh of relief when I took her to the gleaming skyscrapers (the higher the better). She said Chinese don't want to see old places, they want to see big modern buildings. Of course that begs the question, why not just go to the Bund in Shanghai. In any case, sterile concrete is just up their alley and the more the merrier.

Just drove down Jomtien Beach Road a few minutes ago. The new sidewalks seem too narrow heading south once you get a distance past that ugly concrete boat thing--especially with the big openings they left for the--hopefully--large trees to be planted. According to the article, the work will stop at Chaiphruek. Unfortunately, one of the real needs for sidewalk renovation is the stretch of sidewalk from Chaiphruek to around Metro Condo. Pity they didn't start with the sidewalks first and get them in good working order and if there was some money left over then build the ugly boat thing and whatever else they have planned. It's no fun walking now with the sidewalks in such bad shape at the southern end.

I was always amazed by the fact they had several different tree species along the Ocean. It made a unique look and offered some shade. The new palms will look wretched and will not offer any protection from sun or much from erosion or bad weather. So glad I didn't bite the bullet and buy a condo down there.

Jomtiem beach-front was fine before.

And it seemed to survive the odd rainstorm without developing sink holes like Pattaya does.

And therein lies the crunch, the contractor now has his gravy train in place......

I wonder if we will get those annoying night/event markets (another money spinner for someone) in Jomtiem too.

The length of beach between the police box on the bend up to soi 5 had pleanty of room for parking. It now appears that this has been taken up with a wide pavement.

Where are cars going to park now ?

They just stay home more room for Chinese tourist now and new vendors to take care for them.

I think when finished it will look quite good and hopefully control the erosion. But l cannot believe they slaughtered all the trees that produce shade and oxygen along this very polluted strip. On top of that we have the 'umbrella free Wednesday' Every Wed the beach is deserted even more so since the beautiful trees that provided shade have been reduced to woodchip to line someones pocket.