Thai football fans arrested after clashes in Laos

Lite Beer

It's common sense isn't it Thai fans have been supporting their team overseas for decades with no problems the Vietnamese come to Thailand and have no problems why would Thai fans on the winning side start a fight it is likely the Vietnamese started it but as always Laos are Vietnamese lapdogs like the Cambodians.

The Vietnamese are currently very unpopular in Cambodia and if this incident had happened there all the Vietnamese would have been deported. Strange that the Lao would rather support a group of foreigners that really haven't done much for Laos [Vietnamese] but their own brothers with whom they share a common culture and very similar language [Thais] are thrown under the bus? Unless the Thais were really acting more like hooligans.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see why folks like to watch athletes kicking a ball around for 4 hours.

I don't even watch American football.

Give me ski jumps & NASCAR.... Where death awaits. THOSE are sports.

Polo & rugby too.

Edited by jaywalker

It's common sense isn't it Thai fans have been supporting their team overseas for decades with no problems the Vietnamese come to Thailand and have no problems why would Thai fans on the winning side start a fight it is likely the Vietnamese started it but as always Laos are Vietnamese lapdogs like the Cambodians.

The Vietnamese are currently very unpopular in Cambodia and if this incident had happened there all the Vietnamese would have been deported. Strange that the Lao would rather support a group of foreigners that really haven't done much for Laos [Vietnamese] but their own brothers with whom they share a common culture and very similar language [Thais] are thrown under the bus? Unless the Thais were really acting more like hooligans.

Another one trying to be wise the people don't like the Vietnamese but the Cambodian government are their puppet

Thailand apologises to Laos over football final drama
KITINAN SANGUANSAK
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- A GROUP of Thai supporters arrested in Laos for causing disturbance during Thailand's football match against Vietnam on Friday night were released yesterday after spending a night in detention.

Twenty-five Thai fans were detained overnight in Laos following a crowd disturbance on terraces at the National Sports Complex stadium in Vientiane.

The incident marred the Thai side's 6-0 win over Vietnam in the final of the Asean Football Federation's U-19 Championship, taking the shine off the Thai team's imperious display against the Vietnamese, that capped a perfect run en route to the title.

The chaos occurred when the group of Thai supporters let off flares inside the venue when they celebrated the team's second goal before the hour mark.

Laotian police then stepped in to stop them but it led to a clash on the stands, prompting the officials to fire shots in the air in an attempt to bring the situation under control.

The Laotian authorities took those involved in the incident away from the stadium and kept them in detention. The Thai team manager, Nataphol Teepsuwan, initially tried to negotiate with the officials to help the trouble-making group but it came to no avail.

Apology from Thai embassy

The Thai fans from the group called "Ultras Thailand", though, were released yesterday before the Thai Embassy in the Lao capital issued an official statement to apologise for their act, which threatened to affect the two countries' relationship.

"We learnt of the incident that happened in the Asean Football Federation U-19 Championship match between Thailand and Vietnam. We were informed that a certain group of Thai fans behaved improperly towards the authorities. We would like to express our regret and apologise to Laotian people and authorities for the incident," the statement said.

The Thai Embassy in Vientiane, on behalf of the prime minister and foreign minister, yesterday also thanked the Lao government for its "special goodwill that has always been extended to Thailand and the Thai people", according to the embassy's second statement on the issue.

The Football Association of Thailand is set to launch an investigation into the incident, which they said caused "damage" to the image of the country.

"The association is set to set up a panel to investigate what happened. We admit that it damaged our country's image due to the action of a certain group of fans who defied Fifa's and AFC's regulations [regarding a ban on flares at the venue].

"From our initial information, this group of fans is the same one that caused trouble in the country before. They're a 'hardcore' group that has a penchant for causing trouble," said Police Lt-Colonel Chaisab Tharatrittem, the FAT board member overseeing the security matter.

'Lifetime bans possible'

According to Chaisab, those found guilty of being involved could face potential punishment as severe as a lifetime ban from watching the game.

"I already watched the video clip of the incident. They should not have done that. The association will probe what occurred. Should we find that this group of fans is the same one that caused trouble before, we could ban them from entering stadiums for life."

FAT's secretary-general Worawut Thongsringame said yesterday that the association was almost certain to receive a fine as a punishment for the incident.

"The FAT is likely to receive a fine certainly because it was clear that our fans were wrong. I'm sorry for the incident. I would like to beg our fans to support the team properly either in or outside the country," he said.

The drama has mean tightened security measures for Thailand's World Cup qualifier at home to Iraq on Tuesday at Rajamangala National Stadium. Anyone igniting flares or firecrackers at the venue will face legal action.

"The Thai FA would like to ask for cooperation from fans - to not take flares or firecrackers into the stadium. We'll deploy a great number of security officials as well as a bomb detector to conduct a thorough check.

"Anyone found to possess flares or firecrackers will not be allowed to enter the stadium. Should they manage to slip through and let off the flares they will face legal proceedings, which could culminate in either a fine or a prison sentence," FAT's lawyer Narinpong Chinapak said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thailand-apologises-to-Laos-over-football-final-dr-30268221.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-06

Who the heck brings flares to a football match?

Try thais croats, in fact most eastern europeans, argentians and many south american national fans, barring health and safety and as long as it dont interfere with anyones veiw imo much a fuss bout nothing

ADDS TO THE ATMOSPHERE.

rijit

Edited by rijit

Inspired by the British "fans", no doubt!!

They were one of the first but in my own country we have / had them too. Its not a thing that is limited to one country. If anything it has something to do with the kind of people that they are and as you can see in the whole world they are everywhere.

Quite recently the Dutch made us "proud" by destroying historical sites in Italy after a soccer match. Can't say I feel ashamed because I myself would never do such a thing but it does show what kind people some football fans are.

Edited by robblok

Try thais croats, in fact most eastern europeans, argentians and many south american national fans, barring health and safety and as long as it dont interfere with anyones veiw imo much a fuss bout nothing

ADDS TO THE ATMOSPHERE.

rijit

BTW I mentioned before this is BS as at the beginning the Vietnamese fans set off more than 10 flares but nobody cared

I think you need some history education Laos become communist by who? Take a guess

Another one trying to be wise the people don't like the Vietnamese but the Cambodian government are their puppet

You obviously don't know what has been going on in Cambodia recently. The government has been deporting Vietnamese in their thousands while the Cambodian opposition has clashed with Vietnamese villagers in border areas by trying to claim the Vietnamese are encroaching on their territory. Vietnamese face major restrictions on doing business and living in Cambodia unlike in Laos which they own half of.

I think you need some history education Laos become communist by who? Take a guess

I know my history very well but who would rather support a bunch of weird foreigners whose language you can't understand when logically the people who are ethnically and culturally more similar should be seen as brothers. Maybe the issue here was that the Vietnamese put out their flares after being warned by the Lao police but the Thais not fearing police in their own country thought they could get away with it. I highly doubt that the Lao authorities would have had politics in the front of their mind when this incident escalated. Knowing very well that Vietnamese fear the police hence they actually slow down when they know police are around whereas Thais seem to have contempt for their police force not to mention they have absolutely no fear most likely explains the outcome of why this incident ended up the way it did.

Just look at those animals! You'd never see anything like that in England or other civilized nations.

Wrong. Patriotism, alcohol, and fandom makes for uncivilized animals in any country!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmx0u9oOtP0x7qcJXkqSaAHnFBa0REl6qEu_w_PUlaO9ku-OVvI2iTQXcz

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLScMfq7VdWn5p4Jwd_9g0dRySDVI3CaQRfYUSQ4z9XMooa4LY-L-_WYbK

Edited by bkk75

"Flares were lit as Thailand celebrated their side scoring against Vietnam, prompting Lao officials to try and restore order. Scuffles broke out and Vietnamese fans were seen throwing bottles from other parts of Laos National Stadium."

So thailand scored, the fans celebrated and were then attacked by officials, they then reacted and were subjected to a barrage of bottles?

I'm sorry, but, why were they just not allowed to celebrate their team scoring?

They shouldn't have reacted but they did not start the violence.

rolleyes.gif From the English news reports the Thai "fans" punched a Lao uniformed Policeman in the face.

Another Lao Policeman then drew his sidearm and fired into the air.

And yes, as someone mentioned in a post here, it was those that call themselves "The Ultras".

Edited by IMA_FARANG

rolleyes.gif From the English news reports the Thai "fans" punched a Lao uniformed Policeman in the face.

And yes, as someone mentioned in a post here, it was those that call themselves "The Ultras".

Well that explains it doesn't it. The Thai side assaulted a policeman in this case a Lao one no less. Of course the response would have been heavy handed and indeed it was.

These fans obviously didn't expect Lao police to be pushovers like their Thai counterparts are.

Serves the fans right they were arrested and detained (then probably deported) where did they get the idea that they can export their hooligan like behavior abroad?

Thanks also for clearing up this issue now we don't have to launch into speculation, hearsay and political debates and just know that it was the Thai side's fault. Simple.

I know my history very well but who would rather support a bunch of weird foreigners whose language you can't understand when logically the people who are ethnically and culturally more similar should be seen as brothers. Maybe the issue here was that the Vietnamese put out their flares after being warned by the Lao police but the Thais not fearing police in their own country thought they could get away with it. I highly doubt that the Lao authorities would have had politics in the front of their mind when this incident escalated. Knowing very well that Vietnamese fear the police hence they actually slow down when they know police are around whereas Thais seem to have contempt for their police force not to mention they have absolutely no fear most likely explains the outcome of why this incident ended up the way it did.

I said many times the Vietnamese were lighting flares dozens in the beginning the Lao police didn't mind but when Thai fans light in celebration it becomes illegal

I said many times the Vietnamese were lighting flares dozens in the beginning the Lao police didn't mind but when Thai fans light in celebration it becomes illegal

No. What happened was the Thai fans attacked the Lao police the Vietnamese didn't.

The Thais therefore started the violence.

No. What happened was the Thai fans attacked the Lao police the Vietnamese didn't.

The Thais therefore started the violence.

From what I understand is that the Lao police tried to stop Thai fans from lighting flares so if the Lao police did not try to stop them nothing would have happened it is more likely that their celebration pissed off the Vietnamese humiliating defeat that started the problem

Edited by yuv06

Well that explains it doesn't it. The Thai side assaulted a policeman in this case a Lao one no less. Of course the response would have been heavy handed and indeed it was.

These fans obviously didn't expect Lao police to be pushovers like their Thai counterparts are.

Serves the fans right they were arrested and detained (then probably deported) where did they get the idea that they can export their hooligan like behavior abroad?

Thanks also for clearing up this issue now we don't have to launch into speculation, hearsay and political debates and just know that it was the Thai side's fault. Simple.

I assume you are being sarcastic?

Them Vietnamese, they threw bottles at the Thais. It's them Vietnamese who need a punch in the face.

Thailand should just taunt Vietnam. After all, it's the Vietnamese who have got a dispute over some islands with China. Thailand hasn't got such disputes. Also, Vietnam was bombed to pieces by the USA, Thailand was never bombed. People want to go on about how Thailand and America are drifting apart. Well, at least Thailand gets on with America better than Vietnam gets on with America.

Football fans of course[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️

Looks to me there was no trouble at all until the overzealous Laos security guards took a dislike to the Thai supporters enjoying themselves.

And they tried to take their flags. You can't take away a man's flag <deleted>

Ok flares are highly frowned upon in BPL but in Italy and South America it is regular behaviour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by atrippick

What a mess, this is thainess on it's best.

See these kind of posts baffle me. Is football violence a invention of 'Thainess'? The actions of a few idiots sums up a nation of 65 million?

Please explain to me because I don't understand, seems like just pure racism.

Rowdy football fans to be banned from next matches

BANGKOK, 6 September 2015 (NNT) – The Football Association of Thailand has taken disciplinary action against the football fan group called Ultra Thailand following the scuffle between the group’s members and Lao police during a football match in Laos.

According to Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, the Football Association of Thailand has decided to impose a temporary ban on Ultra Thailand football members from next football matches, including the Thailand vs. Iraq game on 8th September. The association has also ordered an investigation into the group’s clash with Lao authorities.

Twenty five supporters of Thai footballers on 4th September were in police detention as they violated Lao laws by lighting strobe flares during a game between Thailand and Vietnam. The Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane issued an apology to Lao authorities and Laotians for the rowdy Thai football fans’ improper behavior on the following day.

Mrs. Kobkarn said her Ministry had made a formal apology for the predicament via the Lao Embassy in Thailand. Meanwhile, the Sports Authority of Thailand has produced a special VTR educating football audience on etiquette towards others.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-06 footer_n.gif