The sanuk has left Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

A lot of Walking Street bar owners are saying that business is about 20% down on last year and last year was not a good year. This was before the bombing in Bangkok.

The biggest tourist groups are Chinese and Indians on package tours.

Lower the bar fines by 20% and see if that helps.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of Walking Street bar owners are saying that business is about 20% down on last year and last year was not a good year. This was before the bombing in Bangkok.

The biggest tourist groups are Chinese and Indians on package tours.

20%?

And the rest!

"No English Al Jazira"

wow.. That is the most important thing in life?

I have visited Patts for 20 years and lived there the last 18 months.

Its fine here. Just to many tourists who like to watch Al Jazira here now. To much culture clashes.
For example: Waiting in line anywhere, a concept most people understand. I still haven't seen an Indian that understand it. They just walk in front of all lines and screams.

Or the g-d dam arab music playing in the Condo.

If there is a decline in Patts its because immigrants who make it look just like home in the middle east. I have seen the same thing happen in Sweden/Europe. They get new housing, a few years later it looks like Little Baghdad.

The great thing in Patts are that good Clubs don't allow these people entering. "members only" while I just walk in with my flip-flops laughing.

BTW. This get me thinking of a TV spot I saw in Israel. Screaming arabs. People with guns, bombs. "Kill the j-w". Imagine all the usual crazy things they do. At the end: "They have Allah on their side, we have IDF" (the Israeli defence forces).

Some thoughts to ponder:

Me: I love the weather here

Another: Too hot

Me: I like the food

Me: I love going to the outdoor market

Me: I love the Thai ladies

Another: Not hot enough!

To each their own. Live and Let Live. :)

As a "Chav" (a derogatory word for any young person) who has been coming here for 10 years I find Pattaya plenty of fun. There is no place in the world where you can party every night, no place in the world where you can get a different girl every night and be well satisfied, no place in the world where you can rent a nice studio apartment for less than $300 a month. On top of this the place has amazing year round weather and gorgeous tropical seaside panoramas, sure beats the scenery around Manchester. Overpriced tourist trap places are easy to avoid.

Pattaya itself hasn't changed all that much over the years. But what has changed is this: 10 years ago, the Farang had a feeling that he is taking a "Girlfriend" to his hotel room. These days, the Farang realizes, that he is taking a Hooker to the hotel. But hookers can be had all over the world, no need to sit in an airplane for 12 hours to get that.

The special 'charm' of the hooker scene in Pattaya from years past is gone.

Price ? A couple of lady drinks, + bar fine + fee for "hostess" = we are not talking cheap anymore.

Alternative? Price level in eastern european countries about the same. No need to fly halfway around the globe (sorry, US boys.)

This of course may easily explain, why there are so few (especially) young punters from western europe spending their holidays in Pattaya.

The thrill and the "charm" of the place is gone. Never to return.

Cheers.

A lot has changed in Pattaya over the years. I lived there for 10 years all told and left 8 years ago. Went back a few weeks ago and it is depressive. Probably wont be liked but Pattaya needs to close the shutters and let it die peacefully.

Good points abour Pattaya? Yes the road out

As a "Chav" (a derogatory word for any young person) who has been coming here for 10 years I find Pattaya plenty of fun. There is no place in the world where you can party every night, no place in the world where you can get a different girl every night and be well satisfied, no place in the world where you can rent a nice studio apartment for less than $300 a month. On top of this the place has amazing year round weather and gorgeous tropical seaside panoramas, sure beats the scenery around Manchester. Overpriced tourist trap places are easy to avoid.

Coming from Manchester I guess it would look good. There again just about anything looks better than Manchester. At least you have found a temporary escape, congratulations.

Pattaya itself hasn't changed all that much over the years. But what has changed is this: 10 years ago, the Farang had a feeling that he is taking a "Girlfriend" to his hotel room. These days, the Farang realizes, that he is taking a Hooker to the hotel. But hookers can be had all over the world, no need to sit in an airplane for 12 hours to get that.

Price ? A couple of lady drinks, + bar fine + fee for "hostess" = we are not talking cheap anymore.

Alternative? Price level in eastern european countries about the same. No need to fly halfway around the globe (sorry, US boys.)

This of course may easily explain, why there are so few (especially) young punters from western europe spending their holidays in Pattaya.

Cheers.

You raise a very good point here.

15 years ago I went to Koh Samui and stayed there for 3 months and I had a real boyfriend experience there, I was in my early 20's back then, so that might've played a part as well.

Fast forward, after that due to unforeseen circumstances I haven't been able to return to Thailand up until three years ago. I came and stayed non stop up until now, so with my good memories in mind I expected to kind of find the same thing here in Pattaya, well totally NOT, it was completely the opposite, if I wanted to have someone to be my boyfriend more often than not they would demand 20-30k baht/month, lol <deleted>.

As for Gogos, I went to my favourite place on WS that used to have the best looking girls in all of Pattaya's Gogos, only to see a very average collection of bored girls doing the pole shuffle. The price didn't reflect the decrease in quality though, being 30 % higher than previously, plus the "music" was horrid and way too loud. I left after 10 minutes.

Again, this thread was not started for those that are happy with Pattaya- it's information for those that haven't been a while. That, after all, is what a forum is about- information and OPINION.

No, no, no! There is no information here, this is one guy's rambling about traffic getting worse (it has), bar girls getting fatter (maybe) and street food costing 200 baht (it is still 30 -40 baht since forever).

As we get older, we often feel life used to be more fun, but please, don't blame Pattaya.

To all people reading this, thinking this is information, and drawing conclusions about Pattaya, please don't! Pattaya is ton of fun, like it always has.

...life changes change one's perspective as well....

...maybe time to reflect....and reevaluate.....and plot a change of course......

...nothing was put in place...specifically for you or I.....

...know thyself......then it will all have been worth it...

If you are a sex tourist Pattaya has certainly changed for the worse.

Cheap sex with attractive ladies who often were looking for boyfriends or husbands has all but disappeared.

The small town mainly European sex tourist destination has slowly changed into a mass tourist destination with the advent of big hotels, and cheap package tourists.

Thai women also have more options with a better economy and the internet putting up the stocks of all thai women making them more attractive in a global market.

Along with all of that there has been a steady decline in the incomes of many of the former sex tourists for Europe who find that Thailand is just not that cheap anymore.

Yep Pattaya has changed and for many who loved the sanuk of Pattaya in days gone by it will never come back.

And I'm guessing you were kidnapped at gunpoint dragged to thailand and dumped in pattaya?????? If you don't like it then go somewhere else for a holiday!!! ? I here Syria is quite nice this time of year (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

You obviously didnt really read the OP's post. He used to live there and went back after a number of years. I assume you love Pattaya for whatever reason but it has changed beyond recognition in the last 9 years which you cant really disagree with if you were in Pattaya that long ago.

And I'm guessing you were kidnapped at gunpoint dragged to thailand and dumped in pattaya?????? If you don't like it then go somewhere else for a holiday!!! I here Syria is quite nice this time of year (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

You obviously didnt really read the OP's post. He used to live there and went back after a number of years. I assume you love Pattaya for whatever reason but it has changed beyond recognition in the last 9 years which you cant really disagree with if you were in Pattaya that long ago.

I disagree. Have been coming here since 1978, living here for the last 13 years. Has it changed? Sure, a lot. But "beyond recognition"? No way!

Posting from a NON sex tourist.

I was in Pattaya the other week, where else in the world can I go to three different bars on the same night, see three different bands, have 5 beers in each bar, have a nose bag and go up the soi with change from a thousand baht?

The sanuk hasnt left, but its getting harder to find, clue, it wont be found on WS, but in places such as, Bodega bar, Wonderful Beer bar 1 and 2, right next door, The Meeting Point, soi 8, Sailor Bar and We Are The World bar, Paddys Bar is also worth checking out.

If you want cheap, head to Tramp Central opposite Mikes, grab a large Chang from 7 and watch the jet ski scams going down.

Posting from a NON sex tourist.

I was in Pattaya the other week, where else in the world can I go to three different bars on the same night, see three different bands, have 5 beers in each bar, have a nose bag and go up the soi with change from a thousand baht?

The sanuk hasnt left, but its getting harder to find, clue, it wont be found on WS, but in places such as, Bodega bar, Wonderful Beer bar 1 and 2, right next door, The Meeting Point, soi 8, Sailor Bar and We Are The World bar, Paddys Bar is also worth checking out.

If you want cheap, head to Tramp Central opposite Mikes, grab a large Chang from 7 and watch the jet ski scams going down.

Plenty of choice for everyone indeed, whether it are bars, clubs or restaurants!

Funny you pay so much for a meal. Today we went into an eaterie in the royal plaza (where ripleys is) cant remember the restaurant name but had a sign above the door 'wine city' 2nd road entrance. Me and my wife had a lovely chicken (big too) with fries and salad, oh and garlic bread included for 79 baht. My son had a kids meal for 59 baht. Was amazed at how cheap it was especially for a shopping mall restaurant. It was also good portion sizes and we were all full.

I also find it funny that all the times i come here (usually for 3 months a year) i never have any trouble or problems or see any. And i occasionally rent jet skis etc. too, never been scammed or even had anyone try to. It must be the places people frequent.

We stay in Jomtien but ofter venture into Pattaya etc.

Always lots of cheap things to keep us entertained like crazy golf, visits to art paradise, too many things to list.

When we venture out in the evenings sometimes we go to the new plaza around the corner from us, 30 odd bars, very cheap, good music, pool competitions etc. If we want a louder night we venture to Soi Bukhaow, Soi LK Metro or soi 7 etc. Again never any problems, cheap drinks etc. etc. .....

You go to a tourist trap and expect not to get tourist rip-offs; you complain things have not changed for the better, when you mean gotten cheaper; you expect the infrastructure to keep up with the unplanned growth; you think the girls should be enamored by farangs often drunk, obnoxious, and bigoted; and that's just for starters.

-----

So you wont be going to Pattaya any-more ??......we're all gonna miss ya,

I left Pattaya after 7 years of fun--10 years ago to relocate in Issan---I have never felt the need to slag it off. I was a visitor there last week stayed at an apartment in the Markland on the beach for 850 a night.

You really don't seem to have learnt a lot in your 20 years of coming here............

1/...200 baht for a 50 baht meal----I ate breakfast at the sailor bar most mornings, just over 60 baht for eggs/bacon/coffee toast etc.

2/ Motor bikes are dangerous in Thailand-------Wow..Thanks for that tip, (although I did pick it up in the 90s...first week here)

3/The TV isn't good.....are you being serious, you come here twice a year from the UK, & TV is a big factor..?

Just hope we don't lose to many other whore mongers before they fix that up.

4/ chav this chav that......their your people, if you cant stand them here, what's it like when your back home....Great life ?

5/ "the lady boys seem to be desperate and quite vicious now--certainly not a way to get customers",

Maybe you can give them a few tips on how to win the hearts of the farangs.....I am just not up to speed on it.

6/ "Finally, there are a lot of mugs in Pattaya. I heard one chav being told by his temporary GF of the night to pay the m'bike taxi 100 baht, which he meekly did"

A lot of mugs in Pattaya---I guess there's one less now you have checked out-----you do not know where the motor bike taxi come from--or how long the journey was. But he's the mug who paid a 100 baht----your the wide boy (who pays 200 baht for a 50 baht meal)

---------------------------------------

I got the night train up to Issan about 5 years ago because I was so weighed down by stuff I had brought in BKK for our house ----if you have ever done it your know its 2 bunks to a cabin...........I got on with a ton of stuff & was joined by this English gentleman who brought a small bag & 2 cases of Leo...On the 3rd bottle I began to get his life story, he droned on most of the night, even when they made the bunks up there was no escape for me, he had, apparently had a terrible wife, "she had put 30 lbs on in the first year we were together/& another 10 lb every year after that /she never done a stroke of work/ the house was like a pig sty/ sex that was a joke--I never got any sex/ then I found out why...she was giving it away to different people ---"And" at our local......my life was terrible.....et.....etc....

In the end I asked him the inevitable-----how long were you together-" "it would have been 32 years this month if she hadn't of left me"

That journey was some years ago "Thaibeachlovers".........but I do get reminded of it when I read letters like yours.

Dont like Pattaya ----just leave quietly, find a place you do like....(if that's at all possible) ............................coffee1.gif

If people are going to slag me off, I really wish they would READ what I wrote, but some don't seem to have much comprehension of the written word anyway.

I DON'T pay 200 for a 50 baht meal, but that's what they are charging in some obviously mediocre establishments and obviously getting people prepared to pay.

M'bikes didn't used to be dangerous in Pattaya, but are now, as the morons have invaded Pattaya. This thread is a comparison piece between before and now.

When it's really hot out in the day time, I like to watch tv. If you have a better suggestion feel free to share.

Obviously you can't read, as I live in Thailand.

There are no chavs in my country. There are equally horrid people, but chavs- no.

I certainly do know where the m'bike taxi came from, and it's really boring reading lies about how I pay 200 for a 50 baht meal, when I never said that.

Re your journey from hell in the first class train cabin, don't you know that you can go to the dining car to escape? Perhaps you like being offended by other people, or perhaps you are too "shy" to change the subject or ask him to stop talking. Here's a suggestion for next time- buy both berths and you can stay by yourself. Anyone that can afford to go to Bkk just to buy stuff for his house could certainly afford two tickets.

Lastly, if you don't like my post feel free not to read it. Seems rather like voluntarily being offended to not read my OP very well and then spend time criticizing it.

Cheers.

This is partly true (in my opinion) but although hookers might be found all over the world, Thai and Pattaya hookers are still, mostly, a cut above the rest.