Nauru Camp Refugee Resettled in Cambodia Wants to Go Home

geovalin

By SOPHENG CHEANG Associated Press
One of four refugees resettled in Cambodia just three months ago in a multimillion-dollar deal that saw them sent from an Australian-run detention camp on the Pacific island nation of Nauru has decided he wants to go home, an official said Sunday.

The man, an ethnic Rohingya from Myanmar, said he wanted to give up his refugee status and return to his homeland, according to Cambodian Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak. The man, who was not named, has contacted Myanmar's embassy in Cambodia to get permission to return home, but Khieu Sopheak was unaware of the response.

Two Iranian men, an Iranian woman and the Rohingya man came to Cambodia under a 40 million Australian dollar ($32 million), four-year agreement aimed at resettling hundreds of asylum seekers who have been living for years in Nauru.

They were the only ones among 677 there who signed up for the package — despite substantial encouragement — and arrived in the Cambodian capital of Phnom Penh in early June. Only asylum seekers granted refugee status by the U.N.'s refugee agency were eligible for the move.

"The agreement of the two countries remains valid, but at the moment we want to see the first pilot refugees that have already arrived here integrate into our society before we accept newcomers," Khieu Sopheak said by phone.

The deal, part of Australia's efforts to deter boats of asylum seekers, has been criticized since Australia made the agreement with Cambodia last September. Critics have expressed concerns that Cambodia is too impoverished to handle the new residents and that its poor human rights record would put them at risk.

Khieu Sopheak said that the Rohingya man, who was born in 1990, did not explain why he wanted to return to Myanmar, but that his father had visited him recently in Cambodia and may have sought to reunite his son with their family.

The man's action comes as many Rohingya, who are Muslims, are expected to take to boats in fresh efforts to leave Myanmar to escape persecution and better their economic prospects. Many try to head to Malaysia, with which they have a religious affinity, but others try to make the long and dangerous journey to Australia.

Khieu Sopheak said the Cambodian government respected the man's decision. Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

According to Ian Rintoul, Sydney-based director of the Australian advocacy group Refugee Action Coalition, none of the four resettled people wants to stay in Cambodia. He said they expected to get a lump sum of at least $10,000, but that was not what happened.

"They all went with the idea that they would get the money that they were being told they would get and be able to go somewhere else," Rintoul said. "The government has dribbled the money to them. They've been kept in a very isolated arrangement and there's been no prospects for them."

Rintoul, who maintains close contacts with the refugee community, has been a major source of information on the Nauru asylum seekers, to whom the Nauru, Cambodian and Australian governments have allowed limited access.

"The Iranian couple never had enough money even to subsist, let alone do anything with it. They complained quite bitterly that they were struggling to survive in Cambodia," Rintoul said.

"The whole resettlement arrangement is going belly-up," he said. "The harassment on Nauru to get people to go to Cambodia stopped a few weeks ago. There's no sign of anyone else on Nauru going to Cambodia."

———

Associated Press writer Rod McGuirk in Canberra, Australia, contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-07

I want to become a refugee

I can take a boat home to Oz and toss my passport overboard along with my wifes papers.

After spending a bucket full of money on my health and welfare I will go to Cambodia

By the way I will be smiling all the way there tongue.png

Another Tony Abbot stuff up

The man's action comes as many Rohingya, who are Muslims, are expected to take to boats in fresh efforts to leave Myanmar to escape persecution and better their economic prospects. Many try to head to Malaysia, with which they have a religious affinity, but others try to make the long and dangerous journey to Australia

----------------------------

Seems quite a bight idea doesn't it-------they are being persecuted in a Buddhist country Myanmar.........so after locking them up for a while.......lets thousands of $$$$$ & send them off to Cambodia............where 98.6% of the population is..............emm........err........help me out here................coffee1.gif

Edited by oxo1947

The man's action comes as many Rohingya, who are Muslims, are expected to take to boats in fresh efforts to leave Myanmar to escape persecution and better their economic prospects. Many try to head to Malaysia, with which they have a religious affinity, but others try to make the long and dangerous journey to Australia

----------------------------

Seems quite a bight idea doesn't it-------they are being persecuted in a Buddhist country Myanmar.........so after locking them up for a while.......lets thousands of $$$$$ & send them off to Cambodia............where 98.6% of the population is..............emm........err........help me out here................coffee1.gif

Though better than Burma, Malaysia ain't exactly a paradise for Rohingya.

In Malaysia, their status as refugees and unregistered migrants bars them from sending their children to government schools, meaning many receive little or no education. They are also barred from holding jobs legally, but necessity compels most of the men to find menial off-the-books labor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/world/asia/rohingya-migrants-malaysia.html?_r=0

To the Australian Government, don't increase any intake numbers for illegal immigrants or asylum seekers. Australia has become a role model with it's border protection policy in stopping the boats. Added to this is the current situation where migrants have been advised to inform any country that they are from Syria whether they are from Afghanistan, Iraq or wherever as they believe this will automatically give them refugee status.
With the current economic climate of uncertainty and unemployment tipped to move higher it would be irresponsible for Australia to increase it's migrant intake at this time and placing further pressure on the countries present budgetary constraints. With mining commodity prices at an all time low & the current risk with market volatility, allowing additional cost burdens on the country can only be detrimental to Australia and hinder any growth prospects going forward. The Australian dollar is now sitting around 69.74 cents vs USD$ and this adds more pressure on an already uncertain economy.

so living for Australian taxpayer's expense in Nauru is OK for them, but living in Cambodia is not? this shows what kind of "refugees" they are.

just economic migrants in search of the rich nation which agree to carry them on the neck.

seems like this is the best solution of illegal migration problem - just send all migrants to a peaceful country where they will have to earn there living by themselves.

most of them will be happy to go back to the country which "oppressed" them.

Edited by TimmyT

This whole Cambodia deal has been a disaster from the start.

I remember when the former Aus Immigration and Border Protection minister Scott Morrison signed up for this deal with Cambodia. He was popping Champagne corks and everything:

so living for Australian taxpayer's expense in Nauru is OK for them, but living in Cambodia is not? this shows what kind of "refugees" they are.

just economic migrants in search of the rich nation which agree to carry them on the neck.

seems like this is the best solution of illegal migration problem - just send all migrants to a peaceful country where they will have to earn there living by themselves.

So according to you all the time and effort Immigration has invested in the status of the people held in detention prior to being offered resettlement in Cambodia has resulted in incorrect determinations they are genuine refugees.

The Oz government made a truly farcical decision to engage with Cambodia and PNG with resettlement of refugees, both of which, to date, have proved to be expensive policy failures.

Edited by simple1

So according to you all the time and effort Immigration has invested in the status of the people held in detention prior to being offered resettlement in Cambodia has resulted in incorrect determinations they are genuine refugees.

The Oz government made a truly farcical decision to engage with Cambodia and PNG with resettlement of refugees, both of which, to date, have proved to be expensive policy failures.

Australian taxpayers don't want Muslim economic migrants on Australian territory. it's a fascism - on language of left liberals. if I don't want you to live in at my house - is it fascism also?

I wish you all the happiness in Europe full of Muslims.

Australians don't owe anything to those who was not able to built a decent life in their own countries and therefore tried to exploit others.

Edited by TimmyT

Obviously these fortune seekers thought that upon arrival in Cambodia they would receive 10,000 dollars in cash, so they could be on their merry way again. Instead they receive a small weekly sum, just enough to live on. Now they are not happy.

Made me laugh out loud.

I fully support the Australian government in their efforts to keep their own home safe and sound. I wish my government would do the same, but I will have to wait until the next elections to see that dream come true in Europe.

Change is on it's way, that is for certain.

Australian taxpayers don't want Muslim economic migrants on Australian territory. it's a fascism - on language of left liberals. if I don't want you to live in at my house - is it fascism also?

Australians don't owe anything to those who was not able to built a decent life in their own countries and therefore tried to exploit others.

You are determined to ignore the fact Oz has only offered resettlement in Cambodia for those who have been assessed as genuine refugees, not economic refugees. Economic refugees are not permitted entry to reside on Australian territory, so your commentary is solely a rant.

You are determined to ignore the fact Oz has only offered resettlement in Cambodia for those who have been assessed as genuine refugees, not economic refugees. Economic refugees are not permitted entry to reside on Australian territory, so your commentary is solely a rant.

how it was "determined"? Rohingya determined as refugees, because Western left liberal NGOs believe they should belong to Myanmar (and Myanmar does not need them), notwithstanding they illegally relocated there from Bangladesh.

none of them want to go back to wonderful Muslim Bangladesh (which is just next to the place which they illegally occupy now), but all of them are ready for the long sea journey to Malaysia or Australia.

why? because they just want to sit on a rich nation's neck. Not Cambodia, Nauru, PNG or Bangladesh. But Malaysia or Australia.

As simple as that.

they are refugees only in distorted vision of left wingers, who control UN high commission on refugees.

how it was "determined"? Rohingya determined as refugees, because Western left liberal NGOs believe they should belong to Myanmar (and Myanmar does not need them), notwithstanding they illegally relocated there from Bangladesh.

none of them want to go back to wonderful Muslim Bangladesh (which is just next to the place which they illegally occupy now), but all of them are ready for the long sea journey to Malaysia or Australia.

why? because they just want to sit on a rich nation's neck. Not Cambodia, Nauru, PNG or Bangladesh. But Malaysia or Australia.

As simple as that.

they are refugees only in distorted vision of left wingers, who control UN high commission on refugees.

Posts removed to enable reply.

Determined by relevant Oz government representatives, that would include national security evaluation. As to the rest of your post sounds like you dwell in the world of far right hysteria.

BTW you should cross check your historical 'facts'.

As simple as that.

Posts removed to enable reply.

Determined by relevant Oz government representatives, that would include national security evaluation. As to the rest of your post sounds like you dwell in the world of far right hysteria.

BTW you should cross check your historical 'facts'.

labeling is the best way when you have no facts.

and I have facts.:

From 1971 to 1973, the Bangladesh Liberation War and its accompanying genocide saw an exodus of ten million Bengali refugees to neighboring countries.A majority of these refugees were Hindus. A large number of refugees settled in northern Rakhine and to a smaller extent in Chin State. In 1975, Bangladesh Ambassador to Burma, Khwaja Mohammed Kaiser admitted that there were upward of 500,000 trespassers in Arakan who Burma had some rights to eject and implored the Burmese authorities not to press the issue during political turmoils in Bangladesh

"Extract from record by UK Ambassador Terrence J O'Brien of his call in Rangoon on the Bangladesh Ambassador to Burma Khwaja Mohammed Kaiser" (PDF). Network Myanmar. 23 December 1975. Retrieved 21 February 2015.

do you have any recognized source which refutes these facts?