Twelve Percent Of Thai Elderly People Live Alone In Shanties

Jai Dee

Twelve percent of Thai elderly people live alone in shanties

Eighty-one percent of elderly people live in rural areas and 12% of them are left alone in shanties.

Kwanmuang Bawornassawakul (ขวัญเมือง บวรอัศวกุล), deputy chief of the Social Development and Welfare Department, said in Klong Toey slum alone, 52 houses of the elderly were in danger of collapsing.

Thirty-eight of them have been repaired and funds are being sought from the Government Lottery Office for the repair of the remaining 14, Mrs. Kwanmuang said.

She said the department will ensure the elderly across the country can stay safely in their houses as it is duty-bound to protect them under the 2003 Elderly Act.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 September 2006

Twelve percent of Thai elderly people live alone in shanties

Eighty-one percent of elderly people live in rural areas and 12% of them are left alone in shanties.

Kwanmuang Bawornassawakul (ขวัญเมือง บวรอัศวกุล), deputy chief of the Social Development and Welfare Department, said in Klong Toey slum alone, 52 houses of the elderly were in danger of collapsing.

Thirty-eight of them have been repaired and funds are being sought from the Government Lottery Office for the repair of the remaining 14, Mrs. Kwanmuang said.

She said the department will ensure the elderly across the country can stay safely in their houses as it is duty-bound to protect them under the 2003 Elderly Act.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 September 2006

My Grandfather-in-law lives in a shanty in western Bkk. One day he tipped over his cooking stove, and bam. The whole shanty slum burned to the ground! Nobody was insured. Everyone lost everything.

What could people do? I bet they were sorely vexed with him :o , he was sorry... :D but he had no money and an accident is an accident.

:o Not sure that Barney the dinosaur's contribution was helpful in any shape or form.

12% seems a remarkably high number. I thought the elderly were respected and revered and cared for by their families.

Are there any nursing/care homes in Thailand for Thai elders?

On reflection this last question was daft. If they are living in shanties they won't have the cash to pay for care :D . DOH!

While the figures seem to support an interpretation of "the breakdown of the extended family structure", I don't think we can interpret the statistics as we might in the West: ie that these elderly people are necessarily socially isolated as well as poor and old.

Especially in Klong Toey there seems to be a very strong community, and people look out for each other: at least this is the impression I get from reading "Father Joe" Maier's accounts of his work and life there.

Several years ago I agreed to have a massage from a very old lady who lived alone in a shack on one of the less touristed islands (then). She was very strong, emotionally tough, and had a bevy of close neighbours looking out for her 24/7. She was also very outgoing, and demanded I converse with her in halting Thai and have lunch with her. She insisted that her well water was safe to drink...as it was. I visited her often, and was always welcomed and given really tough Thai language lessons. Through knowing her I realised that she preferred to live alone and that Thai's don't just respect their elders because of their age, but because the old people demand respect.

Edited by fruittbatt

:o Not sure that Barney the dinosaur's contribution was helpful in any shape or form.

12% seems a remarkably high number. I thought the elderly were respected and revered and cared for by their families.

On reflection this last question was daft. If they are living in shanties they won't have the cash to pay for care :D . DOH!

I think barney the dinosaur was simply sharing a similarly sad story with us to outline how bad things can get and how close to home they can be.

This is sad--but as a person getting on in years, I read it with interest. I thought it said 12% of Thai Elderly live in Panties. I thought it sounded great! Guess I need to get my eyes checked.

Some elderly folks I know have had all their family die from AIDS.

There are many things here in Thailand that do not conform to the self projected image of a near perfect "Land of Smile"...

But yes, there are a few nursing homes for the old, such as the famous one in Bangkae. Many people in there are from the poor sectors of society. What they do not have in technical possibilities, they sure replace by excellent care in beautyful grounds. The place is open for visitors, and many people go and make donations of money and food.

The only problem is that there are not enough places such as this, by far.

Edited by ColPyat

This is sad--but as a person getting on in years, I read it with interest. I thought it said 12% of Thai Elderly live in Panties. I thought it sounded great! Guess I need to get my eyes checked.

Some elderly folks I know have had all their family die from AIDS.

You think its bad in Bkk - try loking in some of the rural areas (like Loei - where I live).

The abject poverty and loneliness of some of the elderly here is terrible - and here there is even less of a safety net here than there is in urban areas like Bkk. But as another forum member says, Thailand is not unique in this problem. The breakdown of family structures in modern society is a universal problem.

You quite often read in newspapers in Europe of some or other elderly person lying dead in their flat for weeks (if not months) before someone raises the alarm.

Tim

Some years back, I read about some guy in Germany who had died in his flat and was found dead 6 years later. He apparently had his bills taken out of his account (along with rent) and his pension was put in each month. The strange thing was that his skeleton was found sitting in a chair in front of the TV and the TV was still on and working!

They figured it had been 6 years because that was the last time there had been any personal things done, such as grocery shopping etc.

There is one outside Pattaya, on the main Sukhumvit Road.

It is on the left, but I think the sign is in Thai so you would not be able to read it. :o

The point about old people who have lost their families to AIDs is sad, and worrying.

I wonder why Barney does not do something to help his Grandfather-in-law?? :D