Visit from CM Immigration?

connda

Have you received an up-close and personal visit from CM Immigration yet? They must be pulling out all the boxes of 90 days reports and actually using them now to verify locations of farang. Post-bombing investigation, and every foreigner in Thailand is a suspect. Cool, huh?

A couple of I/O agents showed up today along with police. The I/O agents are out and about checking to make sure foreigners on marriage extension are actually married and living where they say they are living.

I hope they enjoyed their 3 hour drive out here to the middle of nowhere, considering I'm the only farang in our Thambon. I guess that there are other married farang on the south-west side of our Amphur 20 km the other direction, but I'm 'it' out here in the north-west end of our little collection of rice paddies, rural villages, and mountain valleys.

I/Os talked to my wife in accompany with the police. The police know I'm here. The vendors and residents up and down the road know I'm here (hard to miss a pasty-white farang who dresses like a farang), the monks at various wats know I'm here, and the police at the local station know I'm here, staff at the hospital know I'm here, staff at the local Amphur offices know I'm here, bus loads of local school kids know I'm here "Hello you farang", you'd have to be blind to not know I'm here. 'Routine visit', they didn't even ask to talk to me. I just saw them though the window and thought to myself, "Loan sharks looking for wife's ex-husband, or CM Immigration doing a house check." Bingo! on number 2.

Wife was told this has to do with the BKK bombing. OK. Whatever. I was here in our province, not making mischief in BKK. Haven't been to BKK for a couple of years.

So, "Heads Up!", you married farang guys. Expect a visit.

Edited by connda

Relax, OP!

Here and gone. What's there not to be relaxed about? They're someone else's problem now. I didn't even have to get out of my chair, no less walk to the door to talk. Wife did all the talking, I watched TV.

Edited by connda

conda

I/Os talked to my wife in accompany with the police. The police know I'm here. The vendors and residents up and down the road know I'm here (hard to miss a pasty-white farang who dresses like a farang), the monks at various wats know I'm here, and the police at the local station know I'm here, staff at the hospital know I'm here, staff at the local Amphur offices know I'm here, bus loads of local school kids know I'm here "Hello you farang", you'd have to be blind to not know I'm here. 'Routine visit', they didn't even ask to talk to me. I just saw them though the window and thought to myself, "Loan sharks looking for wife's ex-husband, or CM Immigration doing a house check." Bingo! on number 2.

Now Immigration knows you are there. LOL

been away a while but I believe this started before the bombing.

Geez, how did you get so lucky OP, I've been waiting 25 years for a visit and still no luck!

Give it a chance. My two-cents, for what they're worth, is that the crappy customer service in CM may have a lot to do with them moving personal to enforcement, which now seems to be more important than processing immigration customers.

Maybe it's your time to hit the Triple 777s - Jackpot. Your lucky day may shortly be in the cards.

Edited by connda

conda

Now Immigration knows you are there. LOL

Hey - I'm just the farang messenger passing on what the I\Os told the Mrs, according to the Mrs. To paraphase: "They checking on farang because bomb in Krung Thep."

So, I'm just passing it along verbatim. Take if for what it's worth. Mai bpen rai. wink.png I ain't losing any sleep over it. Hope they had a nice drive. Pleasant scenery up in this neck of the woods.

Geez, how did you get so lucky OP, I've been waiting 25 years for a visit and still no luck!

how true, coming up 15 yrs and my wicket is still intact,smile.png have more probs with farung drop kicks,calling in, asking for a sub( cash loan)

yes they have reached the boonies, beverly hills, mae rim. how sadwhistling.gif

my, c/mai has changed from the good old days of the early 2000,ssad.png

immgr officers, are doing their job, and if u have your papers correct,whats the prob???smile.png

This is becoming commen, happened to a friend of mine in Surin, he is not married but on retirement visa for many years. Went to renew and they gave him a hard time and told him they would visit his home. He has lived there about 9 years. Eventually turned up and wanted to see the big Kahoona of the Village and others to verify he lived there.

Strange happenings.

Just out of curiosity.

How successful have they been in cleaning up the perpetual 30 day visa runners. If they have had

success with that maybe they are looking for the dishonest claimed marriage ones. I am sure there are some out there. Also this is nothing new they are just stepping up the number of visits. Not sure why they would check the ones just claiming them selves on a retirement.

Any ideas along these lines.

Give it a chance. My two-cents, for what they're worth, is that the crappy customer service in CM may have a lot to do with them moving personal to enforcement, which now seems to be more important than processing immigration customers.

Maybe it's your time to hit the Triple 777s - Jackpot. Your lucky day may shortly be in the cards.

Nah, I never have such luck.

Just out of curiosity.

How successful have they been in cleaning up the perpetual 30 day visa runners. If they have had

success with that maybe they are looking for the dishonest claimed marriage ones. I am sure there are some out there. Also this is nothing new they are just stepping up the number of visits. Not sure why they would check the ones just claiming them selves on a retirement.

Perpetual 30 day visa runs is not illegal I belive there are no restrictions to amount of 30 day visas you can have. I agree there are probably a lot on false based on marriage exrensions and again I wonder why they would check on based on retirement extensions that does not make sense, they can't really be false

This is becoming commen, happened to a friend of mine in Surin, he is not married but on retirement visa for many years. Went to renew and they gave him a hard time and told him they would visit his home. He has lived there about 9 years. Eventually turned up and wanted to see the big Kahoona of the Village and others to verify he lived there.

Strange happenings.

Amnat as well.

2 on retirement extensions and 1 on marriage extension that I personally know of.

Nothing to worry about if everything's in order.

Just out of curiosity.

Perpetual 30 day visa runs is not illegal I belive there are no restrictions to amount of 30 day visas you can have. I agree there are probably a lot on false based on marriage exrensions and again I wonder why they would check on based on retirement extensions that does not make sense, they can't really be false

I wonder why they check at all, after all whether marriage or retirement the person has gone through the hoops, provided the paperwork and had the visa issued. The only retirement issue I can think of, is those nationalities that just swear an affidavit at their consulate that they have funds, without needing to actually show proof.

Just out of curiosity.

You're right. Exit/entry every 30 days isn't illegal, in fact nationals qualifying for visa exempt entry are legally entitled to "multiple entries". The "crackdown" on these foreigners was/is because many 30 day visa runners are illegally working. So it's not the multiple exit/entry thats the issue but what the person is doing when here.

There are many people living here with fraudulent retirement extensions obtained mostly through agents with contacts inside immigration. IMO there's probably just as many fraudulent retirement extensions as marriage extensions.

Even if someone on extension via retirement and has got passport all stamped up how can they tell by a home visit??? After getting extension there is no requirement to keep 800000 in bank just three months before so again what can a visit archive is there some differences in the extension stamp ect to a real one?????

Edited by Sutty

Even if someone on extension via retirement and has got passport all stamped up how can they tell by a home visit??? After getting extension there is no requirement to keep 800000 in bank just three months before so again what can a visit archive is there some differences in the extension stamp ect to a real one?????

Indeed, there's nothing to say someone on a retirement visa has to be at home either. wink.png

Travelling the country whilst on a retirement visa is not illegal, so their visits may well be wasted.

No I believe the extension stamps are real.

Just visiting them at home doesn't help at all other than to prove the address given is their actual place of stay (main residence).

It's fraudulent documents that are needed so IMO the only way to catch them out would be to do a home visit and ask to see original documents. I don't think that's happening and I doubt it will.

The best immigration can probably hope for is the deterrent factor. People obtaining fraudulent marriage or retirement extensions might think twice if they know they might be checked up on.

I am here on an Education visa. If they want to check me than they are welcome but the next Immigration is 3 hour driving from where I live. Unfortunately, I have to see them once a year for my annual personal reporting which is next month. I am sure there will be some surprises like asking strange questions and checking my papers. My wife who is a lawyer will be with me and I am sure my papers will be sufficient and correct. My immigration office is in Nan, I am sure the visa will be more strict and less expats and tourist will come to Thailand due to this behavior. The visa regulation changes since the Goverment has changed last year is unbelievable and does not make sense most of the times.