Somyot orders strengthening of immigration rules

webfact

it was found that foreign gangsters of human trafficking and criminals had exploited the negligence of the immigration officers and sneaked into the country to cause chaos and unrest.

"negligence" - I think "greed" is a more appropriate word...

however, then the official spin would be: those poor, helpless immigration officers had their greed exploited by these hardened and shameless criminals and had no recourse than to let them into the country to cause havoc. Let's give them a medal for their distress.

Regarding: "it was found that foreign gangsters of human trafficking and criminals had exploited the negligence of the immigration officers and sneaked into the country to cause chaos and unrest."

Negligence?? More like corruption and taking bribes, I'd say. Given these corrupt officials assisted terrorists to enter and exit Thailand safely, instead of merely transferring them, they should be arrested, charged, tried and imprisoned. 20 people murdered in cold blood and those that helped are transferred. What bull---t.

Compelling evidence of foreigners SPENDING MONEY in Thailand. This MUST be stopped. tongue.png

And a read through some threads on TV provides compelling evidence of foreigners overstaying or using serial visa exempt entries or ed visas because they've barely enough money to survive let alone meet fairly basic requirements for a legal long-stay permission to stay. Sort of similar to the waves of economic refugees flooding Southern Europe and not receiving a warm welcome.

I doubt in either case that they are targeting those who are actually SPENDING MONEY.

Edited by Suradit69

I honestly wonder if my kids will pass as "proper thais" the way these xenophobic antiques are harping on.

A truly pathetic excuse for a cop (and human being seemingly). The force is an embarrassment aleady but this guy taints it even more, plumbing it to shockingly low depths

No you got "luk kuern" kids, or roughly translated half childs. If they're comin down on farangs then your kids will get heckled too. As someone said to me once "Foreigners living over here are tolerated, but never wanted". Lets wait and see what the new visa rules are. I this the start of a mass migration of expats leaving Los? Lets hope not.

I doubt that, no farang = no need for immigration officials = no jobs for the boys.

I wonder if you really wanted to cross the border, couldn't you just have used one the numerous dirt roads in that area?

Of course, but what do you mean by "the area"? Thailand shares a long border with Cambodia and 3 other countries. Much of it is quite porous. It would have been a simple exercise to sneak in undetected across a random border well away from an official crossing. Clearly these criminals were not the sharpest tools in the shed when they decided to go through an official checkpoint rather than doing a bit more research and perhaps using the 18000 Baht to pay local Cambodians to smuggle them across a remote area in the middle of the night. If these bozos were really people smugglers then they just failed their most basic first task. Any idiot knows how porous the Thai border is if they can't even enter or leave Thailand undetected how in the hell would they have smuggled migrants or asylum seekers to countries with far more sophisticated border controls?

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I wonder if you really wanted to cross the border, couldn't you just have used one the numerous dirt roads in that area?

Take your chances with old landmines. This was the result on September 5th at Khun Han.The tractor driver died in hospital.attachicon.gifkhunhan 05sep15.jpg

Was it determined what sort of mine/s that was, anti vehicle or anti-p, I know it is irrelevant, it snatched away a dude just trying to make a living. So indiscriminate having these things all over the place, no ability to identify a legal target, so everything is a target.

BTW was the area known to of been mined prior to this event?

I'm not sure of the type of mine. I've been told these mines were left over from the days of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. Even today you still see Danger Landmines signs in some areas as you get close to the the Cambodian border.

I believe the area in the photo was thought to have been de-mined. I've seen HALO Trust carrying out de-mining operations around Preah Vihear Temple in the past. About 10 - 15 years ago I would hear regular reports of people being killed or injured by these things as they searched the jungle areas along the border for mushrooms or bamboo shoots.

Yes but locals would probably know safe roads to use to avoid this issue. Or how about maybe if these dummies had entered directly from Laos? There are no mines along their border with Thailand and plenty of remote places to cross without worrying about the river for example in Saiyaboury province going to Nan or Uttaradit or Champasak to Ubon.

Take your chances with old landmines. This was the result on September 5th at Khun Han.The tractor driver died in hospital.attachicon.gifkhunhan 05sep15.jpg

Was it determined what sort of mine/s that was, anti vehicle or anti-p, I know it is irrelevant, it snatched away a dude just trying to make a living. So indiscriminate having these things all over the place, no ability to identify a legal target, so everything is a target.

BTW was the area known to of been mined prior to this event?

I'm not sure of the type of mine. I've been told these mines were left over from the days of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. Even today you still see Danger Landmines signs in some areas as you get close to the the Cambodian border.

I believe the area in the photo was thought to have been de-mined. I've seen HALO Trust carrying out de-mining operations around Preah Vihear Temple in the past. About 10 - 15 years ago I would hear regular reports of people being killed or injured by these things as they searched the jungle areas along the border for mushrooms or bamboo shoots.

Yes but locals would probably know safe roads to use to avoid this issue. Or how about maybe if these dummies had entered directly from Laos? There are no mines along their border with Thailand and plenty of remote places to cross without worrying about the river for example in Saiyaboury province going to Nan or Uttaradit or Champasak to Ubon.

from day 1 this regime has looked for ways to get rid of western foreigners and this is just another perfect opportunity.It's all about the Chinese nowadays,approximately 8 new shopping malls are being built in Phuket,3 of them will be huge,for the white farangs they are not even willing to provide a few beach chairs no sir.

As usual this kind of report lacks substance.

What the hell does "intensify screening" mean? I mean, I'm all for officials stopping criminals from entering the country, but apart from checking the Interpol database, I don't see how an official would be able to intensify their screening of anyone at the border. They can ask them questions, make a few assumptions based on what passport they are carrying and most of all, make sure they are holding a valid travel document, but that's about it.

Even a visa runner, whose activities have long since become harder is probably no more than some cheapass who can't or won't qualify for a long-term visa and may merely be working illegally, so making assumptions based on regular entry, even by land, would not be a good starting place either.

I knew a man who got deposited in Lao for having affair with officials daughter in LOS, he just put his gear in plastic bag and swam back across the Mekong.

Maybe swimming the Mekong should be tightened up as well.

it was found that foreign gangsters of human trafficking and criminals had exploited the negligence of the immigration officers and sneaked into the country to cause chaos and unrest.

"negligence" - I think "greed" is a more appropriate word...

however, then the official spin would be: those poor, helpless immigration officers had their greed exploited by these hardened and shameless criminals and had no recourse than to let them into the country to cause havoc. Let's give them a medal for their distress.

On another thread I took flack from someone for stating that visas could be bought for a fee. I forgot to mention that of course this is the foreigners fault...

Not sure why this news story is getting some of the responses it's getting. So I reread it a few more times and still I'm confused. Increasing the scrutiny of immigrants is a reasonable response to international terrorism. We live in an increasingly violent world and need increasing protection measures to ensure our safety regardless of how the person at the top got into their decision making position. If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

like mr. Ellis?

Somyot: "criminals had exploited the negligence of the immigration officers and sneaked into the country to cause chaos and unrest".

No, accepting bribes is not negligence. You are the chief of the RTP. You don't know the difference between an intentional act and one that fails to conform to the standard of a reasonable man? Your men allowed people to enter the country without passports in exchange for 18,000 baht.

I'll be celebrating your retirement at the end of the month, because obviously the border officers won't receive any more discipline than transfer to an inactive post.

The fact they were transferred and not in prison awaiting formal charges is laughable. Imagine what would happen to any police man in the USA in prison for bribery. It is becoming embarrassing, I make a lot of facetious comments on TV but try to stay open minded. The current state of affairs is making it very difficult to do so.

If they imprison the heads of Chang beer out of concerns that they are endangering peoples lives my hope may be restored.

I happen to know one of the heads of beer Chang, but apart from dropping Beer Chang export I don't see what crimes they could have committed that should land them in prison. Although, frankly I couldn't care less if they went out of business. They are trying to grow coffee on one of the biggest plantations in Laos but they have no idea what they're doing. Some of the people they hired are complete amateurs. But if they fail, I'll be happy.

Somyot: "criminals had exploited the negligence of the immigration officers and sneaked into the country to cause chaos and unrest".

No, accepting bribes is not negligence. You are the chief of the RTP. You don't know the difference between an intentional act and one that fails to conform to the standard of a reasonable man? Your men allowed people to enter the country without passports in exchange for 18,000 baht.

I'll be celebrating your retirement at the end of the month, because obviously the border officers won't receive any more discipline than transfer to an inactive post.

The fact they were transferred and not in prison awaiting formal charges is laughable. Imagine what would happen to any police man in the USA in prison for bribery. It is becoming embarrassing, I make a lot of facetious comments on TV but try to stay open minded. The current state of affairs is making it very difficult to do so.

If they imprison the heads of Chang beer out of concerns that they are endangering peoples lives my hope may be restored.

I happen to know one of the heads of beer Chang, but apart from dropping Beer Chang export I don't see what crimes they could have committed that should land them in prison. Although, frankly I couldn't care less if they went out of business. They are trying to grow coffee on one of the biggest plantations in Laos but they have no idea what they're doing. Some of the people they hired are complete amateurs. But if they fail, I'll be happy.

as anotheruser wrote

"I make a lot of facetious comments on TV........."

Below was one of them.

"If they imprison the heads of Chang beer out of concerns that they are endangering peoples lives my hope may be restored."

He may as easily have said the heads of Singha beer.

Just came down to Bkk from Phitsanulok this morning. The girl at the Nok check-in looked and took note of the cover of my passport, never had that done before.

Didn't really have time to ask her what she was doing.

"certainly be more transfers,"

Although a transfer may be an inconvenience for some officials...it is not a sufficient punishment to cause a change in behavior...the bad behavior just gets move to a new location...

Time to start giving them some "unpaid" leave to think about doing their job correctly...with threat of being fired if bad behavior continues...

An appointment to S. Thailand where the threat of being shot or bombed...might be a good deterrent...

"I don't see what crimes they could have committed that should land them in prison."

It isn't the crimes you will know about that create this cynicism in people. They are Sino-Thai, they have a healthy slice of the market and are assumed to have bought it - and they are rich

It's the crimes which they are assumed to have committed and which will never come to light because they are protected from on high. They're the ones, not the ones you and I might know about.

Doesn't make them less real though, or less egregious.

Edited by Jon Wetherall