Yellow Tabien Baan no more valid? DLT insisted on a blue one.

I have been using my yellow book for the past 3 renewals at the Nonthaburi DLT in Pakkret. My wife also uses our yellow book to renew her licence and apply for visas when visiting my home country. The blue book is only issued to Thais. Sounds like the Banglamung DLT is making up rules as they go.

Edited by RBOP

Today I went to the DLT Banglamung to renew my drivers license.

I had all necessary documents, including yellow tabien baan.

But the lady at the DLT, insisted on a blue book (or certificate of residence) and told us, that the yellow ones would be no more accepted.

From what I've understood, the yellow books now have to be replaced with a blue one.(?)

Is that correct or just BS?

I renew my license 3 weeks ago with my yellow book no problem in issan

Same for me.

Sometimes living in the sticks has its advantages.

The usual stuff:

Temporary licenses are issued for two (2) years since March 2015.

You can apply for a renewal (temporary to "5 year" or 5 year to 5 year) for up to one year after DL has expired without having to do theory test/practical test.

Physical test is always required.

What I got from other mates: some kind of watching video now also required for renewal/extension.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I went to the same DLT a couple of weeks back for licence renewal, I showed my yellow book but she also wanted a copy of my wife's blue book , luckily we had it with us, this must be the way they're going.

A typical example for the inconsistent handling.

Not married to Thai: you lost tongue.png Go to immigration first.

Edited by KhunBENQ

But the lady at the DLT, insisted on a blue book (or certificate of residence) and told us, that the yellow ones would be no more accepted.

From what I've understood, the yellow books now have to be replaced with a blue one.(?)

What provinces does the Issan department of land transportation cover?

When I obtained my 2 year 'temporary' car and motorcycle licences, earlier this year, I provided a declaration from my embassy as 'proof' of my address in Thailand.

Is this not also acceptable for the 5 year licences? Or, are there different criteria?[/quo

What would an embassy know or care about where you live,i feel the same about them.

When I obtained my 2 year 'temporary' car and motorcycle licences, earlier this year, I provided a declaration from my embassy as 'proof' of my address in Thailand.

Is this not also acceptable for the 5 year licences? Or, are there different criteria?[/quo

What would an embassy know or care about where you live,i feel the same about them.

I'm sure they don't care about where I live, however, I care that the 'proof of residence' document that they endorse is acceptable by the authorities in the country where I choose to live. How you feel is immaterial.

And, thank you to Anthony5 for giving me a sensible response.

Pattaya DLT have not accepted yellow books for a long time, refused mine a couple of years ago. They also refused my medical certificate because the clinic was out of the area.

I got my first 5 year license in April this year using a yellow Tabien Baan. Bang Lamung DLT had no problem then; maybe a recent change?

Is Banglamung DLT the one by Regents School? That's the one I went to in 2014 and they refused the yellow book, said to come back in the afternoon with a residency certificate from immigration. Went to Chonburi instead.

What provinces does the Issan department of land transportation cover?

In fact one would have to name his specific office. There is no "Isaan" DLT.

So no one can guarantee that another office will do the same.

It might not be too relevant for rest of the world, but for the sake of completeness:

my DLT is in Chum Phae (Khon Kaen province).

YB was accepted without a problem when doing a new motorcycle license (complete with all tests etc.).

I should mention that:

I live on a repeated extension

I had a 5 yr. car license (issued at Khon Kaen office)

I had registered a car in my name at this Chum Phae office in 2011

Maybe it makes a difference.

Exactly what I've expected...just the usual Pattaya BS.

PS: How many days/week/months time does one have to renew an expired license?

I have to go to the DLT Chonburi next week anyway, so I could renew the license there.

Be prepared for a bit of chaos, they knocked the old building down and are using temporary facilities at the moment, standing room only.

I would suggest going in just before 2pm, that is the cut off time. I went in at 1pm and was behind the morning spillover, people coming in nearly an hour later were not far behind. I came out about 3.30pm, most of the time was taken up in queues to pay and have the licence issued. There is no video requirement.

Pattaya DLT have not accepted yellow books for a long time, refused mine a couple of years ago. They also refused my medical certificate because the clinic was out of the area.

I got my first 5 year license in April this year using a yellow Tabien Baan. Bang Lamung DLT had no problem then; maybe a recent change?

Is Banglamung DLT the one by Regents School? That's the one I went to in 2014 and they refused the yellow book, said to come back in the afternoon with a residency certificate from immigration. Went to Chonburi instead.

Yes, Banglamung is the one near Regents. Only goes to show it's up to the mood of the individual processing your paperwork. Lucky I don't have to worry for another 5 years now.

Four years ago, an additional work place was added to my WP.

When I renewed my 5 year car drivers licence earlier this year, the Land Transport processing clerk insisted that my address be changed to this, so now my drivers license shows that I live at my office, despite my home address being in the WP.

Was pointless arguing the point as it was already a loss of face issue with me standing in line with lots of Thai witnesses, so now my drivers license shows that I live in my office.

Point is, that the Land Transport Department has its fair share of geniuses/rocket scientists and that if you bump into one, then you'll have to go with the flow, or not have a current driving license.

Suspect the OP's yellow book issue falls into the same category.

Upshot is, if it's fixable, then just smile and wave, then go with the flow.

I don't know why you feel the need to slag off rocket scientists or intelligent people in general - obviously the people you refer to don't have the intellectual firepower to back their ambitions.

Sorry for any unintended offence incurred, was just using a literary ironic technique .......

Wikipedia

Irony (from Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία (eirōneía), meaning "dissimulation, feigned ignorance"[1]), in its broadest sense, is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or event in which what appears, on the surface, to be the case, differs radically from what is actually the case. Irony may be divided into categories such as verbal, dramatic, and situational.

Verbal, dramatic, and situational irony are often used for emphasis in the assertion of a truth. The ironic form of simile, used in sarcasm, and some forms of litotes can emphasize one's meaning by the deliberate use of language which states the opposite of the truth, denies the contrary of the truth, or drastically and obviously understates a factual connection.[2]

I have always given photocopies, how do they know if it's yellow or blue? I do live up in the N/east, perhaps different here.

Difference

Yellow & Blue House book

(Thumbnail) !ups.-down!

Yellow & Blue House book (black/white)

(Thumbnail)

The difference can also be seen at black/white.

The "Yellow Housebook" has written statement on top and bottom in Thai as follows:

"บุคคลที่อาศัยอยู่ในราชอาณาจ้กรไทย

โดยไม่ชอบด้วยกฎหมายหรือในลักษณะชั่วคราว"

Translated as:

"Individuals living in the Kingdom of Thailand unlawful or temporary."

post-30294-0-95653900-1441790123_thumb.j

post-30294-0-64578900-1441790225_thumb.j

Yes it is, and yes at least 2 years now that they do not accept anymore a Yellow Book as proof of address.

I heard of a few exceptions when the falang can bring with him a Yellow Book, a Blue Book and a Thai Wife easily angry... rolleyes.gif

The classic case of a Farang with the Yellow Book of his condo get a refusal + go to Jomtien Immigration.

BTW about 6 month that the temporary licenses have a 2 years validity, and they do not depend of your birthday date anymore.

It used to be "1-year validity after your next birthday", so not a big change in many cases.

Same for me.

Sometimes living in the sticks has its advantages.

The usual stuff:

Temporary licenses are issued for two (2) years since March 2015.

You can apply for a renewal (temporary to "5 year" or 5 year to 5 year) for up to one year after DL has expired without having to do theory test/practical test.

Physical test is always required.

What I got from other mates: some kind of watching video now also required for renewal/extension.

I just upgraded my 1 year temporary to a 5 year, the guy explained to me that if your license had expired over a certain number of months, they made you watch the vid and correct, everyone took the eyesight and reaction test. I forgot my 50b health certificate and they didn't ask for it.

Fortunately, unlike Immigration, you can always go to another Land Transport Office and get your license

I had a problem with renewing my Thai DL because the "gate" keeper at Pattaya would not accept a letter from the US Embassy explaining that my original license had been turned in after my assignment in the kingdom was finished

Went to the LTO near Chatuchak in Bangkok and in an hour had my new 5 year license, not one question of why I was getting it there. Have heard of other expats from Pattaya going over to Rayong to process their applications

These Yellow Book threads always amuse me, especially since most amphurs require a Residence Certificate from Immigration to issue a Yellow Book in the first place, exactly what all Land Transport Offices require as proof of residence for non Thais

Is this not also acceptable for the 5 year licences? Or, are there different criteria?

2 year???? is this a new thing or??? Thought it still was 1 year and than 5 years..

Glegolo

2 Year temporary license has been issued for about 6 months now. There is no more 1 year license