APC Smart-UPS 1000I replacement Battery, WHERE ?

ETatBKK

perhaps this is a FAQ - in Bangkok, where I could get a replacement APC battery RBC6 for the APC Smart-UPS 1000I ?

some said APC not supply replacement battery in Thailand; some tried OEM replacement battery; some even buy generic battery in HomePro ? what is the different ?

thanks and cheers

ET

Indeed ^^^, but generic sealed lead acid batteries of all shapes and sizes are available at rather less than APC prices.

Do you have the battery out of the unit, post an image along with dimensions, I'll bet you can get one in NPE at Zeer.

Tons of those sealed lead acid batteries e.g. at every Amorn.

Take the old battery and look for an equivalent (physical dimensions, voltage, capacity).

Or take the whole thing to some PC shop that sells UPS and let them do.

Bit heavy tongue.png

Battery cartridge made of 2 x 12V 12Ah batteries

Browsed through some Thai online sites.

Misc batteries in this capacity. A little smaller in height than what I found for APC.

Cost about 1200 Baht/one piece.

Edited by KhunBENQ

other than the PRICE, what makes these non-APC batteries different ?

the pictures of APC Smart-UPS 1000VA ( very popular model ) and the RBC6 battery are below :

post-105125-0-13138200-1441686673_thumb.

post-105125-0-62660400-1441686680_thumb.

other than physical, environmental data, there is no voltage and power spec in the APC battery page :

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=RBC6

max height : 94mm

max width : 152mm

max depth : 196mm

max height : 94mm

max width : 152mm

max depth : 196mm

As described there are batteries with same voltage/capacity which fit into these dimensions.

Arbitrary example from an e-bike shop tongue.png :

http://www.ebikethaikit.com/battery-12v12ahvrla-23896.product

(two pieces needed)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Amorn (I think) on the 4th floor of Fortune has replacement batteries. Just note the specs of the current batteries, and they should have the replacement.

I bought replacement batteries for my APC UPS there years ago, and they are still going strong.

thanks everyone suggestion ! 2 more questions here :

seems PRICE is directly proportion to the QUALITY of the battery ? what specific infact ?

seems it is a 12V*12AH battery. could I spec up the capacity of the battery for increasing off-line mode ? is it safe ?

thanks . . .

seems PRICE is directly proportion to the QUALITY of the battery ? what specific infact ?

seems it is a 12V*12AH battery. could I spec up the capacity of the battery for increasing off-line mode ? is it safe ?

thanks . . .

If you spec up the capacity of the battery...

1. it/they might not fit into the UPS.
  2. charging circuits might get fouled up.

correct, that is my concern too ! I guess the charging an oversized battery is an big issue, or even it doesn't charge :- (

ok, keep it simple !

thanks

thanks . . .

If you spec up the capacity of the battery...

1. it/they might not fit into the UPS.
  2. charging circuits might get fouled up.

thanks, and it is a good logic too !

one, I don't want to spend extra just on the name of APC, although they ensure a quality level. well, mine just last a bit less than 3 years.

that's why try to understand the concept of quality behind those non-APC batteries. in general, I don't go low, but I want options.

cheers

If you have spent good money on an APC unit and not one of those cheap things you see in the IT malls, then use the correct APC battery.

Edited by ETatBKK

If you go for a big-name battery (e.g. Yuasa) you'll be fine.

A slightly bigger capacity battery of the same dimensions won't be an issue for the UPS charger, it will just take longer to reach fully charged (and longer to go flat when running on battery).

thanks Crossy

just spotted a Yuasa NP 12-12 sealed battery, at about THB1,440 per piece. meaning, I need TWO. no idea yet the price of APC RBC6, just drop an email to their Thai office.

hope the Yuasa battery is easily available at Amorn, at Fortune Tower. oh, APC Thai office just across the road.

by the way, how to dispose the expired battery ? or it is not a concern here ?

cheers

If you go for a big-name battery (e.g. Yuasa) you'll be fine.

A slightly bigger capacity battery of the same dimensions won't be an issue for the UPS charger, it will just take longer to reach fully charged (and longer to go flat when running on battery).

• 2 weeks later...

an update of 'happy ending' story here !

while checking Schneider Electric ( APC dealer in Thailand ) on a retails of a replacement battery, they also requested the serial number of the unit. then surprisingly they told me that my UPS still under the 3-year ON-SITE warranty, including the battery ( it is already 2 year 10 months ).

this afternoon, the APC technician came with a refurnished UPS with a new battery, for a complete unit replacement. well, I just replaced the battery, and the technician re-calibrated the unit before leaving.

my money spent on the expensive APC UPS finally pay off ! ​ I am certainly my next UPS will also be an APC UPS !!

cheers