Thai cops arrest monks for meth

webfact

Cops arrest monks for meth
By Coconuts Bangkok

monkrobes.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An abbot and two monks were arrested on Monday for reportedly taking drugs after a gang told police they sold yaba pills to monks at a Buddhist temple in Pak Tho district.

Residents close to the temple had also complained to police that monks were taking drugs.

Police searched the living quarters of 46-year-old abbot Phra Baideekawisan Jattapayo and found drug paraphernalia.

Full story http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/09/08/cops-arrest-monks-meth

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-09-08

OK, I was wrong. I also thought the story was about cops that agreed to arrest some Monks in return for some meth, as did another poster.

I also thought the resident Thai bashers would be all over this one like a cheap suit.

Early days yet ! thumbsup.gif

This is a shame...

There are many good monks, unfortunately there are many bad ones too, is it not time that Buddhism in Thailand did some serious navel gazing???

May be monks for life instead of a few days...

I don't think that mandatory monks for life thing worked all that well for the Catholic Church. Read up on the history of the clergy during the ninth and tenth centuries, or the Renaissance Popes. Even the conditions in the monasteries in the sixteenth century. Heck, look at the sex scandals of the last fifty years among Priests! Their vows are much stricter than those of monks.

Edited by Acharn

the answer to everything.... authority, blame, punishment. I'm sure sending them to prison to be with other crack-head types will solve everything. One would think being on that stuff would be a punishment in itself. Better not let any monks within 300m of schools...

Yep. Buddhists are as susceptible to corruption as Catholic priests and evangelical Preachers. Sad state of organized religion. And won't even mention Islamic extremists!

Yes, but the story has to do with Thai monks in Thailand. There are articles about the others..but this one is about Thai monks.