Kasikorn bank levees 400 baht

Something very strange happened to me today. This all took place in Thai language, but I've translated it into English. The story starts a couple of weeks ago when I went to withdraw some money from my account at Kasikorn bank. Turns out my ATM card had expired. No problem, I have another account with a different bank. Today, I brought all needed documents into the Moon Muang branch in Chiang Mai. Staff politely received me, took all documents, then .... "aaaaw, this card expired almost two months ago!", says the teller. Yes, I say. "You waited too long", she says. "If you had asked sooner, it would be free, but now you have to pay 400 baht."

..??? "I see", I say (in fact, I did not see at all!), "but how was I to know? I received no notification." "You would get the notice when you used the ATM". Well, I hadn't used the ATM in several weeks (would the notice be in English?) "Hey", she says to the manager, "he didn't use his card in a long time, so he wasn't notified." "Then he has to pay 400", came the manager's response. "Do you want to pay 400?", she asks. "No." "Well, maybe you can just go into the bank when you want to withdraw money". "That's not very convenient. I'd like to have a card" "Then you'll have to pay 400". "Can I just get all my money out?" "Oh, you didn't open your account at this branch, so you can't close it here" "And if you don't have a work permit and special visa, you won't be able to open another bank account in Thailand" (really? I thought that's strange that you can't close out an account from any branch).

I was polite throughout, even though I was becoming very annoyed. I was not angry with the staff, as I know that they are not responsible for the policy, but this policy has caused them to lose my business FOREVER, all over an ATM card fee that most banks will give to you for FREE, and only because I wasn't aware of the expiration, since I had been simply letting my money SIT PARKED in their bank (wouldn't you think a bank would LIKE to have money just sitting there?)

Edited by TheBard

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not see any strange in this storey.

On every ATM card I have there is an "expired date", YOUR responsibility and YOUR responsibility alone to renew it before it expires - period.

You can only closed a bank account at the same bank you opened it OR you withdraw all your money and not use it anymore for two years, then the bank will close it automatically

Without a work permit, your can't open a bank account - some banks and branches do yes but legally NOT allowed.

Last and not least DON'T use your logic in Thailand, it will not / never work here!

Basically - if you want to live here follow their rules and don't try to implement your rules ......

On every ATM card I have there is an "expired date", YOUR responsibility and YOUR responsibility alone to renew it before it expires - period.

You can only closed a bank account at the same bank you opened it OR you withdraw all your money and not use it anymore for two years, then the bank will close it automatically

Without a work permit, your can't open a bank account - some banks and branches do yes but legally NOT allowed.

Last and not least DON'T use your logic in Thailand, it will not / never work here!

Basically - if you want to live here follow their rules and don't try to implement your rules ......

Absolutely right, apart from...

"Without a work permit, your can't open a bank account - some banks and branches do yes but legally NOT allowed."

The Bank of Thailand imposes no such restriction, some individuals in some individual banks, incorrectly, do though.

To the OP: Are you talking about an ATM card. a debit card, or something that is a combination of both ? I have lived in Thailand for 20 yrs., and dealt with almost every major bank at some point. I have never had an ATM card with an expiry date on it. Indeed I am still using one (and I mean the actual, original card), that was given to me in 1997.

To the OP: Are you talking about an ATM card. a debit card, or something that is a combination of both ? I have lived in Thailand for 20 yrs., and dealt with almost every major bank at some point. I have never had an ATM card with an expiry date on it. Indeed I am still using one (and I mean the actual, original card), that was given to me in 1997.

My kasikorn one has an expiry date of 2019 so i can confirm that there are expiry dates on debit cards.

I guess you're wrong re. the "mandatory work permit" to get a bank account.

Just think a bit: how one would get an extension based on marriage or retirement without a Thai bank account, when immigration asks for Thai bank account with THB400K or THB800K???

There are rules in Thailand, agreed!

Have a go and get your knowledge corrected!!!

Edited by Fab5BKK

All my ATM cards in Thailand have expiry dates. I just check the one I have now and it has one.

Hi. Just look at the pic on the Kasikorn site; It clearly show an EXP date.

Debit%20Card.jpg

BTW this is a Visa card you can use in any ATM (I mean in other Thai Banks ATM too)

while TMB cards above are just card you can use at TMB ATMs only.

My kasikorn one has an expiry date of 2019 so i can confirm that there are expiry dates on debit cards.

The OP states ATM card not Debit. My Bangkok Bank Debit card shows 2019 expiration. My Bangkok Bank ATM card has no expiration date on it and I've had it for many years, about the same time as allane above has, mid '90s.

The OP states ATM card not Debit. My Bangkok Bank Debit card shows 2019 expiration. My Bangkok Bank ATM card has no expiration date on it and I've had it for many years, about the same time as allane above has, mid '90s.

Same for my SCB ATM only card.

I have a Kasikorn ATM card for a minor account I rarely use. Just looked and it has an expiry date on.

My main bank is Krungsri/BOA. Just checked and their ATM card also has an expiry date.

There letters would be in Thai....not surprised.

Good idea, when you get mail from a bank, is to have somebody translate it...

Just bring it to the bank, and I am sure they would oblige. You could have met the timeline.

I cannot believe that banks here do not provide "statements of understanding..and conditions", when you open an account, All charges should be outlined, and when you open an account/or get a card, you usually sign off as receiving those conditions/understandings/charges.

The official language is Thai...up to you to get things translated into you native language, no matter where you are from. You could just ask them, and somebody would explain.

This goes for all types of transactions..bills, etc. Get somebody to translate if you don't understand the charges on water, electrictity, cable, phones, and banks. All our mail from Thailand is in thai, but my wife translates for me.

400 baht does not seem like a lot to get miffed about....if you were at fault for not understanding their charges because you failed to read/translate their billing.

Edited by slipperylobster

I just loathe K Bank. It's so poorly managed and every question is just no, so why ask.

My wife left, even she had enough.

Relatively happy with SCB ten years+

Same, very stupid bank

Krung Thai hs been great to me so far, altho maybe the Thong Lor branch is better than others perhaps

To clarify, it is a debit card.

And it's not that I don't understand that their are rules that the banks adhere to - some people seem to think it's my fault for not understanding that. Okay, fair enough I should have read through the packet and synced it to my google calendar, etc, etc. I could have - but should one have to do this?

Finally, the thing is that it just brings back the same feeling of being pinched for small change that I once felt, and which has stuck with me, from the first time I flew Air Asia, and asked for a cup of water. No, they will not give you a free cup of water. Pregnant ladies giving birth aboard their planes are charged $1 for a sip of water. Since then, I have flown with them a few more times, admittedly, but only when their fare was BY FAR the cheapest. I will gladly pay a few hundred baht more to avoid flying with Air Asia. When it comes to banks, there are so many from which to choose, there's no reason to stick with Kasikorn. Sadly, I guess they are all similarly bad. Where is the Virgin Air of the banking world?

By the way, I forgot to mention - a few years ago, when I first deposited 1 million with Kasikorn, they gave me a complimentary umbrella. And it broke on the way home! If their bank vaults are anything like their umbrellas, I hope they have good insurance! (no, I'm not really upset about the umbrella, before some TVF member comes to defend Kbank and their umbrellas)

Any bank will give you a pass book without a card. Free.

Personally, I don't keep any money in their banks. I've heard to many stories.

I wire it in, and pick it up the same day.

No troubles with skimming.

Finally, the thing is that it just brings back the same feeling of being pinched for small change that I once felt, and which has stuck with me, from the first time I flew Air Asia, and asked for a cup of water. No, they will not give you a free cup of water. Pregnant ladies giving birth aboard their planes are charged $1 for a sip of water. Since then, I have flown with them a few more times, admittedly, but only when their fare was BY FAR the cheapest.

No airline is going to permit a woman who appears to be close to giving birth to board their aircraft without a Fit-to-Fly letter from a doctor, complete with official stamps, etc. Much like your bank's policy with their ATM card fees, this policy is spelled out on their websites.

I've had a Kasikorn simple deposit account for 7 years that has a few k parked in it for emergency withdrawal if other routes not available and which I have not used for 4 years. I was issued with what was described as an ATM card, but I now see it is a debit card that expired 18 months ago (it must have had a long date ab initio).

Looks like I'm headed for the same 400 baht charge then. My fault entirely, I aint going to complain. I'll just close the account and take the money elsewhere (and probably pay a couple of hundred baht for a new ATM card.

The travails of banking is that banks are always trying to make money out of you (no surprises there - we live in a market economy). The beauty of of banking is that it is a competitive market and you can go elsewhere (no surprises there - we live in a market economy). Banks are one of the few things commercially that Thais do well IMO. Save the bitching for things that matter!

Thanks for bitching nonetheless OP - now I know my card is useless and now I know to monitor more carefully.

>> Without a work permit, your can't open a bank account - some banks and branches do yes but legally NOT allowed.

As some posters mentioned - this is not true

I think I should have written "With a tourist visa you can't open a bank account", you either need a work permit OR a NON-Immigrant O visa (or something similar) - correct?

No not correct you can open on a tourist visa per below at Bangkok Bank:

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit
    • Passport
    • Work Permit
  2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa
    • Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the
      relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension
      funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:
      • Embassy or international organization
      • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
      • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
      • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
      • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document
showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a
condominium

Even though it is accepted practice in the the US that all credit and debit(ATM) cards expire and that date is clearly marked on the face of the card, it would appear my BKK ATM card never expires. I've had it for 7 years I believe.

However, it is customary for all banks that I know of to charge a nuisance fee for their ATM cards. The Green bank can be one of the worst at this. At one time they wanted 800 baht for an ATM card because it was linked with some promotion and it didn't matter if you wanted the promotion or not.

The response you got is absolutely typical in this country. They, for the most part, have no real sense of good customer service so they could care less that you were unaware of the expiration even if it is, in a sense, their fault, because they did virtually nothing to notify you of your card's expiration. In our countries you would almost certainly have gotten a letter in the mail informing you and this is what I mean by a lack of good customer service sense.

It is also customary in this country that there are MANY things you CANNOT do except at the branch you opened your account at, unlike in the west. They are, in many ways, still very antiquated and backwards in their practices aptly demonstrated by their pathological use of the Bankbook. If you want the convenience of banking in two different provinces then you are better off opening an account in each province to avoid nuisance fees for transfers and ATM usage, whereas, you would never have to do that in the US and I assume the EU or UK.

Edited by oneday